Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FB: Need some knowledge dropped on me.

kcwilson

Rookie
So, someone enlighten me...

We didn't go with Moran Norris and sought Jameel Cook for his pass catching abilities. But as far as I have seen, not much field time, and not a big part of the offense recently. 1 catch in last three games, very few sightings.

Against Philly and Indy, it seemed like he lined up more on the outside and motioned into the backfield quite a few times. Obviosuly, he hasn't opened gaping holes, but seems that there have been openings created that Dayne and co. can't seem to find.

Now, we sign Vonta Leach, to open more holes in the running game I presume.

So where does that leave Cook? I thought the versatility of the FB created opportunities for more playmaking on offense. But with Cook not really in the picture, it seems to be an indicator that we have gotten pretty vanilla on offense.

No stretch runs, sweeps, no passing to the FB. No carries for Cook, not even on a short yardage play. FB seems to be a missing part of the offense. Am I wrong or are we pretty much abandoning the FB for a two TE set with two pass catching TE in Daniels and Putzier, some Breuner.

Have you seen Kubiak say that the Leach pic-up was to open up holes for the run? I thought he was added essentially as a special teamer.

Have you seen Kubiak say that the Leach pic-up was to open up holes for the run? I thought he was added essentially as a special teamer.

Nope.

From... http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4246773.html
Coach Gary Kubiak hopes the addition will help a running game that is averaging just 76 yards a game. Leach joins fellow fullback Jameel Cook in Houston.

"We've got to get better with Jameel and him as far as our two-back offense is concerned," Kubiak said. "We've done some good things throwing the ball. We've got to get better running the ball to help our team out."

Leach is looking to contribute immediately to Houston's lackluster running game.

Nope.

From... http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4246773.html
Coach Gary Kubiak hopes the addition will help a running game that is averaging just 76 yards a game. Leach joins fellow fullback Jameel Cook in Houston.

"We've got to get better with Jameel and him as far as our two-back offense is concerned," Kubiak said. "We've done some good things throwing the ball. We've got to get better running the ball to help our team out."

Leach is looking to contribute immediately to Houston's lackluster running game.

Interesting.

Looks like it could be a Sherman move. Here's to hoping Leach makes a significant impact. I wonder if Cook loses a job if Leach looks good.

I don't know where I read it, but apparently Leach only knows certain plays so far so it is too much to throw the entire book at him.

IIRC, Cook caught some passes early in the season and preseason.

I don't know where I read it, but apparently Leach only knows certain plays so far so it is too much to throw the entire book at him.

IIRC, Cook caught some passes early in the season and preseason.

True, against Indy I believe, but has been persona non-grata since in terms of looks or touches, or even the field if I remember right. Our offense from week 1 and pre-season to now looks a lot different... and I don't think in a good way.

I think eventually when we really open up the passing game, jameel cook is going to be a big part of what we do. LBs can't run with him, and he's looks to have good hands.

I think eventually when we really open up the passing game, jameel cook is going to be a big part of what we do. LBs can't run with him, and he's looks to have good hands.

I guess that the lack of success in the run game makes the FB less of a threat in other facets...

If Leach sees significant playing time, I sure as heck hope we start throwing more to our TE's to show versatility in the passing game and give the defense something else to think about besides Andre.

I guess that the lack of success in the run game makes the FB less of a threat in other facets...

No, I'm thinking that our QB has still been sacked 15 times in 5 games....... he's still running around, back their more than he should be. Until our OL can give him some time to think, then all these options we've got for him isn't really doing him much good.

No, I'm thinking that our QB has still been sacked 15 times in 5 games....... he's still running around, back their more than he should be. Until our OL can give him some time to think, then all these options we've got for him isn't really doing him much good.

True, Dallas dropped back 7 or 8 into coverage and we couldn't run or pass.

So, someone enlighten me...

We didn't go with Moran Norris and sought Jameel Cook for his pass catching abilities. But as far as I have seen, not much field time, and not a big part of the offense recently. 1 catch in last three games, very few sightings.

Against Philly and Indy, it seemed like he lined up more on the outside and motioned into the backfield quite a few times. Obviosuly, he hasn't opened gaping holes, but seems that there have been openings created that Dayne and co. can't seem to find.

Now, we sign Vonta Leach, to open more holes in the running game I presume.

So where does that leave Cook? I thought the versatility of the FB created opportunities for more playmaking on offense. But with Cook not really in the picture, it seems to be an indicator that we have gotten pretty vanilla on offense.

No stretch runs, sweeps, no passing to the FB. No carries for Cook, not even on a short yardage play. FB seems to be a missing part of the offense. Am I wrong or are we pretty much abandoning the FB for a two TE set with two pass catching TE in Daniels and Putzier, some Breuner.

Cook has been a disappiontment. He has gotten fewer snaps in every game since the preseason. If you rewatch the plays it obvious why. He rarely gets an effective block on running plays. They tried Joppru but he didn't cut it. It sure seems like Norris or Wells could have been better.

I didn't like it when we let Norris go. A team like this can't afford to let good players go. DD gets hurt, Norris is released, and Wand is released--there goes almost the entire running game for the last several years (except we still have Pitts). Poof.

It's very ironic considering who we passed in the draft. Not saying we should have taken him or not, but it's really ironic.

To add insult to injury, Moran Norris was cut because he is not a good reciever out of the backfield (which is true, how many times have we seen him drop passes out of the backfield) caught a TD last week or the week before for the 49ers. I want Norris back!!!!:crying:

To add insult to injury, Moran Norris was cut because he is not a good reciever out of the backfield (which is true, how many times have we seen him drop passes out of the backfield) caught a TD last week or the week before for the 49ers. I want Norris back!!!!:crying:

at this point in the game, mistakes like this are going to seem obvious.

But once kubiak has his team on the field, and we actually see a fullback who can clear a whole, and catch a 20 yard strike(which I think was David's most impressive pass of the season), I think we'll agree keeping a run blocker who can't catch is about as usefull as keeping a recieving FB who can't block.

Back