Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Falcons @ Jags Game

G

God of Wine

Nice 80 yard drive by the Falcons, up 7-0. Dunn had like a 35 yard run on a nice draw play.

I'm looking at that game. I like the type of weapon Vick is. I'm looking for the Falcons to have a good year.

Texas_Heat said:
It's a good preseason game so far but the stadium looks kinda empty.
Its like a monsoon there. They are getting the outer edge of the Hurricane.

Wasn't there an article about how bad Matt Jones was looking in TC? Said it looked like he was moving in slow motion compared to the times he posted at the combine. Or was that a joke?

Could just be thinking too much with the position switch. Or since he's so big he takes longer strides and appears slower, I'm not really sure. Whether the combine time is completely accurate or not, I think it's pretty clear he's got world class speed and athletic ability, especially for a guy his size.

Found it. Quite humerous, thats why i thought it could be a joke.

Jaguars’ young receivers ruffling the feathers of their own

Jacksonville

We hear veterans on the Jaguars’ proud defense have been irked by the showmanship of second-year WR Reggie Williams. One observer says Williams has become a “junior T.O.” After dancing in the endzone to celebrate a score during practice drills a day before, Williams began talking trash and taunting CB Chris Thompson, another second-year player who was checking Williams in coverage. “Don’t try me, don’t try me,” was Williams’ cry to Thompson. When Thompson ripped the ball from Williams on a subsequent play, the entire defense shouted toward Williams, “Don’t try me, don’t try me.” One team captain, special-teams demon Nick Sorensen, was outspoken against Williams’ antics, as were a host of others. Team sources also say that rookie WR Matt Jones, questioned prior to the draft because of poor practice habits, has done nothing to prove those critics wrong. Jones hasn’t shown the great speed he did at the Scouting Combine. One fellow receiver says Jones appears to be “running in slow motion.”

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afcsouth

Leftwich is looking good out there. He is very vocal, and is showing that he is a true leader on the field. If it wasn't for some of the recievers dropping balls, Leftwich would only have about 3 or 4 incompletions! :hairpull:

(Though, there is the outer effects of the hurricane -- it is raining cats and dogs out there!)

PS: How 'bout that Matt Jones catch!

TigerBait said:
Found it. Quite humerous, thats why i thought it could be a joke.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afcsouth

Matt Jones is looking like a much better pick than many gave the Jag's credit for ....One im sure the Texans DB's arent looking forward to dealing with twice a year . He went by Allen Rossum (the Falcons kick / punt returner) like he was stuck in mud on one play , Rossum is pretty fast himself . The long catch he made was quite impressive .
Part of that may be the fact he's 6'6" and takes long strides .... his speed is very decieving . Yeah , he's running in slow motion .... until he leaves you in the dust .

I think Matt Jones was a good pick for the Jags. I havent seen him play this preseason except for what Ive seen on ESPN, but the guy is big and athletic. I feel sorry for the DB's that gotta cover him in the red zone... I can already see Lefty and Jones hooking up like the ol' Moss-Culpepper connection.

Jones is an athletic freak, no question, and most definately posesses speed whether or not the combine was a fluke. Im just not sold on his hands and route running yet, but that comes along with most young raw recievers; Like Mathis. He did make that great catch but he didnt really show seperation from the DB's, not on any plays that i watched, but i was watching sparingly. At least twice i did see him go over the middle, and drop the ball immediately or after first contact. Not saying he will not become a good reciever eventually, but it will take time, and i don't think we need to "fear" him this year. His teammates are questioning his ability, so obviously hes not amazing as many of you claim.

TigerBait said:
Jones is an athletic freak, no question, and most definately posesses speed whether or not the combine was a fluke. Im just not sold on his hands and route running yet, but that comes along with most young raw recievers; Like Mathis. He did make that great catch but he didnt really show seperation from the DB's, not on any plays that i watched, but i was watching sparingly. At least twice i did see him go over the middle, and drop the ball immediately or after first contact. Not saying he will not become a good reciever eventually, but it will take time, and i don't think we need to "fear" him this year. His teammates are questioning his ability, so obviously hes not amazing as many of you claim.

His hands are (other than his height) the best quality of Matt Jones. He RARELY EVER drops a ball. I mean -- not many recievers in the league could make that one handed catch (Don't blast me, because I know that there is a couple). The guy is an athletic freak!

BTW, when did any of his teammates question his ability? Just curious? Link?

TigerBait said:
. Im just not sold on his hands and route running yet, .

I have to ask .... Did you SEE the catch he made in w/ just over a minute left in the first quarter ..... after leaping over a fallen defender extends and clutches the ball with One Hand while stumbling over the safety .... it was an amazing catch to say the least . (In the RAIN no less) . :goodnight

If you ever get a chance to look at the gloves the WRs, RBs, and I assume DBs wear you'll see why some of these guys can make these incredible catches. One of our friends had AJ and DD's used gloves out at the tailgate last week and I was very surprised when I saw how the palms were coated with a very high friction rubber-like material. They are very sticky and I can see how they would work well in wet conditions. I mean this stuff would meet Lester Hayes' approval.

aj. said:
If you ever get a chance to look at the gloves the WRs, RBs, and I assume DBs wear you'll see why some of these guys can make these incredible catches. One of our friends had AJ and DD's used gloves out at the tailgate last week and I was very surprised when I saw how the palms were coated with a very high friction rubber-like material. They are very sticky and I can see how they would work well in wet conditions. I mean this stuff would meet Lester Hayes' approval.

The Texans need to sign me for the league minimum and hook me up with a pair of those gloves and ill knock Bruener and Miller straight off the depth chart!
:rolleyes:

corrosion said:
I have to ask .... Did you SEE the catch he made in w/ just over a minute left in the first quarter ..... after leaping over a fallen defender extends and clutches the ball with One Hand while stumbling over the safety .... it was an amazing catch to say the least . (In the RAIN no less) . :goodnight
OMG people, it's one catch. If you read up, I stated how yes it was an amazing catch, that is obvious, but ONE catch does not make a career, and it's surely nothing to base a WR's future on. Hell, even the worst players can get lucky every now and then; Im not saying it was luck, because Matt definately has the ability, but it's nothing to wet your pants about and rave at how good this guy will be. No one remembers the drops, just the athletic catches, and thats all I was trying to point out, that and supposedly how bad he has looked in camp. If he was such a god send, then trust me he would have been taken sooner, and it was a reach for the Jags to take him where they did. I think that Matt Jones will eventually become a good player, but like all WR's making a position change he will have to work on his hands to the point where he becomes consistent in his pass catching.

After seeing that game, I think this Jenkins guy is finally showing his potential and could end up being the Falcons best receiver.

Buzz said:
After seeing that game, I think this Jenkins guy is finally showing his potential and could end up being the Falcons best receiver.

That is not a testament to Jenkins being great, but the rest of them being terrible.

Tigerbait, you still haven't answered my question...When did anybody on the Jags question MJ's abilities?

Youngstown Colt said:
Jenkins IS that good, don't get it twisted.

I keeps it real dawg.

Jenkins is slow in and out of his breaks, runs poor routes, and lets most passes bounce off his hands or body.
He was pathetic last year, and is slightly improved from dung to vomit.
Hopefully after this year he is somewhere between booger and burp.

I am just sick and tired of Vick not having a dependable WR. Brian Finneran is nice, but he might be one of the slowest WR's in the NFL and can't be put in a starters role because of it.

I wasn't sure if Matt Jones was worth the 18th pick overall, even though he ran the 40 time in under 4.4 and was thought to be as the best athlete in the draft but I still wasn't sure. But after I seen that catch against the Falcons, and then they showed one of his catches in the Senior Bowl. I now will say he was worth that pick after seeing those highlights.

Derek said:
I wasn't sure if Matt Jones was worth the 18th pick overall, even though he ran the 40 time in under 4.4 and was thought to be as the best athlete in the draft but I still wasn't sure. But after I seen that catch against the Falcons, and then they showed one of his catches in the Senior Bowl. I now will say he was worth that pick after seeing those highlights.

Nice to hear a logical post by a Titan fan. But just for the record, he was the 21st overall pick, not 18...

Fldvldog said:
Nice to hear a logical post by a Titan fan. But just for the record, he was the 21st overall pick, not 18...

Hah.. Yeah I wasn't sure what exact pick he was honestly.. thanks for clearing that up.

Matt Jones made catches like that at Senior Bowl, has been makin tough catches in Jags camp, and then does it in the game. It's not a one-catch wonder.. I expect to see many of them this year.

When I said what I said I didn't mean soon- more like a while down the road, if they don't get someone good.

DoCt3rJ said:
Matt Jones made catches like that at Senior Bowl, has been makin tough catches in Jags camp, and then does it in the game. It's not a one-catch wonder.. I expect to see many of them this year.

I'm sure he will, just not against the texans.

Back