Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FA additions with a full texans mock

baba ganoush

Waterboy
FREE AGENT PERIOD:
I think we can afford all of these players, and each of them would make big contributions to our team!

OFFENSIVE:
OG-Rick DeMulling
OT-Jordan Black

DEFENSIVE:
CB-Lenny Walls
CB-Travis Fisher
SS-Micael Lewis
FS-Deon Grant
OLB-Reggie Torbor (trade 5th for him)
DE-Dewayne White

NFL Draft:
I think this would be a solid draft!

1-Adrian Peterson RB/Oklahoma
2-Earl Everette OLB/Florida
3-Kareem Brown DT/Miami
4-Kyle Young C/Fresno St.
6-Brandon Myles WR/West Virginia
7-John Stocco QB/ Wisconsin

FREE AGENT PERIOD:
I think we can afford all of these players, and each of them would make big contributions to our team!

OFFENSIVE:
OG-Rick DeMulling
OT-Jordan Black

DEFENSIVE:
CB-Lenny Walls
CB-Travis Fisher
SS-Micael Lewis
FS-Deon Grant
OLB-Reggie Torbor (trade 5th for him)
DE-Dewayne White

NFL Draft:
I think this would be a solid draft!

1-Adrian Peterson RB/Oklahoma
2-Earl Everette OLB/Florida
3-Kareem Brown DT/Miami
4-Kyle Young C/Fresno St.
6-Brandon Myles WR/West Virginia
7-John Stocco QB/ Wisconsin

Michael Lewis is impressive and much needed. Deon Grant is OK. And, we don't need a center at any point during the offseason...we've got McKinney and Hodgdon. We need to trade Mike Flanagan and Jameel Cook for a mid-round pick in this year's draft.

Free Agent signings:

LG Eric Steinbach
SS Michael Lewis

Draft:

1. Amobi Okoye - DT Louisville
2. David Harris - LB Michigan
3. David Irons - CB Auburn (should be available here)
3. Kevin Kolb - QB Houston (David Carr trade)
4. Michael Coe - CB Alabama State
5. best available player, with David Ball and Jacoby Jones topping the list.

Doesn't look bad overall. i disagree though and think we do need a center sometime before next season. Flannagin is old. McKinney and Hogden are not our long term answer at all, especially if we want to start building our team. they arent' the short term answer imo either.

I think our 2nd round pick will be just as exciting as our first round. while there are so many positions i think we need help with i wouldn't be against them drafting 'their' guy in the 2nd or third. Ryan Kalil is arguably the best C in this class and i wouldn't mind if we picked him up in the 2nd. He would be a young guy to throw in there w/ spencer and winston. i think he would instantly start...if not he would be a few games into the season.

Doesn't look bad overall. i disagree though and think we do need a center sometime before next season. Flannagin is old. McKinney and Hogden are not our long term answer at all, especially if we want to start building our team. they arent' the short term answer imo either.

I think our 2nd round pick will be just as exciting as our first round. while there are so many positions i think we need help with i wouldn't be against them drafting 'their' guy in the 2nd or third. Ryan Kalil is arguably the best C in this class and i wouldn't mind if we picked him up in the 2nd. He would be a young guy to throw in there w/ spencer and winston. i think he would instantly start...if not he would be a few games into the season.

I think Drew Hodgdon is pretty good right now and will only get better. I agree with McKinney, he isn't getting any younger...but he's our best C option right now. If we were going to draft an O-lineman, I would like to see us draft Beekman out of BC. Ideally, I'd rather wind up with Harris and Irons...but Beekman could pan out to be a nice replacement for Pitts, who in my opinion, is highly, highly overrated by the Texans.

I know my first 4 rounds are defensive guys, but I think defense wins championships and we need to beef it up if we want to contend with teams like the Pats, Chargers, Ravens and Colts in the AFC. We can't even hang with the Jets for more than a half.

What do you think? Is going defensive heavy a mistake?

Not at all, this draft is deep with a lot of defensive talent. I'm all for it if thats what they decide to do. We could easily spend all of our picks on defense but i think that would be a little overboard lol.

Not at all, this draft is deep with a lot of defensive talent. I'm all for it if thats what they decide to do. We could easily spend all of our picks on defense but i think that would be a little overboard lol.

how do you figure? we stink defensively!

offensively, the biggest problem is Carr...and we should be ridding ourselves of that lemon shortly after March 2. Taylor has big play ability, added with the combo of Johnson and Moulds, and with the hopeful new addition of Ball at WR.

how do you figure? we stink defensively!

offensively, the biggest problem is Carr...and we should be ridding ourselves of that lemon shortly after March 2. Taylor has big play ability, added with the combo of Johnson and Moulds, and with the hopeful new addition of Ball at WR.

My bad...i can see how that was very confusing....i meant i wouldn't mind going heavy on defense at all.

edit: rather..it's not at all a mistake if we go defense.

what about Nate Clements? the Texans should target him as their #1 priority in FA. he would improve the defense more than anyone, he is the missing link & the Texans don't have to give up draft picks (pbuc) to get him only cap space.

I've really been struggling with the draft pick (use it or trade down) the 8th pick is a good one, its right on the edge of there still being an elite prospect for the taking (Peterson) so teams will have interest. lets assume for a minute the Texans do sign buffalo f/a cb Nate Clements. that takes the pressure off to use 1st pick on a cb/fs (maybe fs/w 2nd pick Meriweather @ 39). the Texans could use extra 2nd (see later in post) to pick a young cb. if Peterson is available & no sweet offers made then he is a Houston Texan. GB is the team most likely to trade up & give Farve a new weapon to go out in style with & they pick #16. they would have to offer their 2nd rd pick (47th) along with 1st to make a deal, would you do that?

before you answear lets look at who could be there @ 16 & 47. Reggie Nelson is a possiblity, that would complete the offseason upgrade in the defensive secondary. LB Patrick Willis is a complete LB who paired w/DeMeco would give Texans a dynamic 1-2 allowing DeMeco to pass rush more & be a pure playmaker. the other player @ #16 I really, really like is DE Adam Carriker, very blue collar disruptive end with long arms, quick hands & excellent size.

2nd rd. gotta go with offensive line if the husky technician Center from USC Ryan Kalil is still available. this would be a great pick no matter which player above the Texans go with in the 1st. another position that could be addressed, unrelated to those options in the 1st is RB (since Texans traded out of the Adrien Peterson sweepstakes in this scenero). who do you like among Michael Bush, Tony Hunt & Kenny Irons? one two or all three could still be available as they are generally considered the best of the 2nd tier RB's. this might surprise some but I like Tony Hunt especially catching in space, but overall and the primary reason I could see the Texans adding value to trading out of the 8th pick (Adrien Peterson) is they like what they already have in Lundy, Taylor & Dayne. in this case take another young corner to develop, one I'm really impressed with is Josh Wilson, Maryland he is a classic man to man cover with good instincts, hes tenacious & flys to the ball, not afraid of anyone. his father was the late Tim Wilson, fullback during Earl Campbell era for Houston.

what about Nate Clements? the Texans should target him as their #1 priority in FA. he would improve the defense more than anyone, he is the missing link & the Texans don't have to give up draft picks (pbuc) to get him only cap space.

I've really been struggling with the draft pick (use it or trade down) the 8th pick is a good one, its right on the edge of there still being an elite prospect for the taking (Peterson) so teams will have interest. lets assume for a minute the Texans do sign buffalo f/a cb Nate Clements. that takes the pressure off to use 1st pick on a cb/fs (maybe fs/w 2nd pick Meriweather @ 39). the Texans could use extra 2nd (see later in post) to pick a young cb. if Peterson is available & no sweet offers made then he is a Houston Texan. GB is the team most likely to trade up & give Farve a new weapon to go out in style with & they pick #16. they would have to offer their 2nd rd pick (47th) along with 1st to make a deal, would you do that?

before you answear lets look at who could be there @ 16 & 47. Reggie Nelson is a possiblity, that would complete the offseason upgrade in the defensive secondary. LB Patrick Willis is a complete LB who paired w/DeMeco would give Texans a dynamic 1-2 allowing DeMeco to pass rush more & be a pure playmaker. the other player @ #16 I really, really like is DE Adam Carriker, very blue collar disruptive end with long arms, quick hands & excellent size.

2nd rd. gotta go with offensive line if the husky technician Center from USC Ryan Kalil is still available. this would be a great pick no matter which player above the Texans go with in the 1st. another position that could be addressed, unrelated to those options in the 1st is RB (since Texans traded out of the Adrien Peterson sweepstakes in this scenero). who do you like among Michael Bush, Tony Hunt & Kenny Irons? one two or all three could still be available as they are generally considered the best of the 2nd tier RB's. this might surprise some but I like Tony Hunt especially catching in space, but overall and the primary reason I could see the Texans adding value to trading out of the 8th pick (Adrien Peterson) is they like what they already have in Lundy, Taylor & Dayne. in this case take another young corner to develop, one I'm really impressed with is Josh Wilson, Maryland he is a classic man to man cover with good instincts, hes tenacious & flys to the ball, not afraid of anyone. his father was the late Tim Wilson, fullback during Earl Campbell era for Houston.

My only problem wit the idea of Nate Clements is i don't think his price tag is right for us and i don't see in all honesty why he'd wantto go froma losing situation in Buffalo to one here. Sorry but we'd needa good offseason this year and good draft coming up even with Clements to be compettive IMO.

I don't think it would be a good idea to sign one top tier talent guy foral ot and expect to do much of anything else in FA. This team still has a lot of holes to fill and has a lot of deadcap space finalyl coming off the board decently next season. If you loo kat what the good tams do the past five years or so you buld through the draft look at other teams rosters for backups that aren't getting playing time and further develop them. Once you get to the point where you havea solid foundation to build upon that's when you can start going after hired guns in FA. I don't think weh ave anything near that nucleus atleast o nthe offensive side of the ball but i like the way we have three tiers on defense with MArio, DeMeco and Dunta...Though they'll definately needsome help next yearand i hope we puthtem in the position to keep maturing.

Baba... i am actually pretty impressed with what you've put forth now as opposed to some of your Earlier FA posts. Though i'd rather makea run at Seinbeck at OG and hope that Kalil would somehow drop to us in the second round. If Spencer comes back healthy that would make fora solid Oline...something we've never had here. IF that happens expect the offense to do a near 180 from last year. Though i'm not really opposed to AP...if we got him a the 8 and that line.....expect some real fireworks on offense.

My only problem wit the idea of Nate Clements is i don't think his price tag is right for us and i don't see in all honesty why he'd wantto go froma losing situation in Buffalo to one here. Sorry but we'd needa good offseason this year and good draft coming up even with Clements to be compettive IMO.

He would consider Houston because this is home. don't think for a minute that the Texans cannot afford to pay him even if it involves some creative financing :money:

I don't think it would be a good idea to sign one top tier talent guy foral ot and expect to do much of anything else in FA. This team still has a lot of holes to fill and has a lot of deadcap space finalyl coming off the board decently next season. If you loo kat what the good tams do the past five years or so you buld through the draft look at other teams rosters for backups that aren't getting playing time and further develop them. Once you get to the point where you havea solid foundation to build upon that's when you can start going after hired guns in FA. I don't think weh ave anything near that nucleus atleast o nthe offensive side of the ball but i like the way we have three tiers on defense with MArio, DeMeco and Dunta...Though they'll definately needsome help next yearand i hope we puthtem in the position to keep maturing.

I can't understand the words coming out your mouth. J/K

we're talking cornerstone. there is a fine line sometimes between winning & losing, the Texans could be closer than you think with some key additions. If I can just have one for sure this time in free agency (Nate Clements) & three from the draft thats improving the team in four areas, along with the maturation, hopefully, of David Carr, the return of Spencer & other key injured players as well as the development of Mario, DeMeco and the rest of our young players that is a receipe for a winning season. what more could you ask for than that :confused:

He would consider Houston because this is home. don't think for a minute that the Texans cannot afford to pay him even if it involves some creative financing :money:

I can't understand the words coming out your mouth. J/K

we're talking cornerstone. there is a fine line sometimes between winning & losing, the Texans could be closer than you think with some key additions. If I can just have one for sure this time in free agency (Nate Clements) & three from the draft thats improving the team in four areas, along with the maturation, hopefully, of David Carr, the return of Spencer & other key injured players as well as the development of Mario, DeMeco and the rest of our young players that is a receipe for a winning season. what more could you ask for than that :confused:

Why would we jump through hoops to sign Clements? He's a heck of a corner, but with a hole at LG, in my opinion, it would make more sense to sign Eric Steinbach. Also, with C.C. Brown unable to make even the most fundamental of reads, signing Michael Lewis and drafting a guy like Brandon Merriweather would make much more sense.

Don't put all your FA money into one or two players. Two many holes to fill on the Texans. If we get a couple more good DL to increase the pressure on the QB our secondy will be fine. But we still need one good, not great, corner. Faggins is a nickel back. I think a couple of the second tier FA will do for us and still be an upgrade. Try and get an OL or two and then look for depth. If we do this I think the team will be much improved.

IMO, we probably can do one BIG signing like Clemments or Samuals (that's if we can even get them) or do two pretty good ones like Hamlin for FS and Stienbeck for the O-line (G). Personally, I kinda like the second version. Addresses more needs and would probably be more cap friendly. Doesn't get us the killer corner, put pluggs two pretty substantial holes. Still need a LT probably and may need to get that with L. Brown at the 8th and then Kahill in the second would make me smile. It will be interesting to see if Spence makes it back, because if he can, we might swing on Anderson or Okoye and that would really help the Defense.

IMO, we probably can do one BIG signing like Clemments or Samuals (that's if we can even get them) or do two pretty good ones like Hamlin for FS and Stienbeck for the O-line (G). Personally, I kinda like the second version. Addresses more needs and would probably be more cap friendly. Doesn't get us the killer corner, put pluggs two pretty substantial holes. Still need a LT probably and may need to get that with L. Brown at the 8th and then Kahill in the second would make me smile. It will be interesting to see if Spence makes it back, because if he can, we might swing on Anderson or Okoye and that would really help the Defense.

I definitly think hamlin and steinbeck would be the way to go. hamlin would be a huge improvent for FS over cc brown. imo SS we are fine with for now...people want to bring in a free agent but i think that would be a waste of money...we need a fs that can cover the pass. getting fa on the oline would help as well. we could draft a decent cb in the 2nd or 3rd maybe and i think them battling with faggins...having an upgraded FS would be a HUGE improvement to our secondary.

adding in the 1st and 2nd rd of levi brown and ryan kalil would be amazing and do wonders for our running/passing game down the road. if that happens i will not be upset.

I agree with Beerlover in regards to free agency, except that I would go hard after Asante Samuel. Just my preference.

I believe that the CB position is worth spending a boat load of cash on. There are other ways to increase our available cap space. For instance, if Payne, DD/DW, Greenwood, & Wiegert were cut after June 1st, or would be willing to do what McKinney did & take a pay cut, we could trim anywhere from $6-9.3 million off of this year's cap. According to HPF's site, we currently have about $13.3 million in available cap space. By adding the additional space, we'd have somewhere in the neighborhood of $19-22.5 million to spend on free agents & draft picks.

Now, before someone comes in here & points out the obvious fact that we'll have to replace them on the roster, let me point out a couple of things first.

First off, if they accept pay cuts, the problem is solved. Assuming they don't & we have to cut them, I believe Payne has already been replaced by Maddox, & my draft proposal at the end of this post will address the 2nd DT position. DD/DW is damaged goods & probably always will be. His replacement will be taken during the draft. Wiegert is old & will probably accept a pay cut, but if he doesn't, Winston showed me enough to make me believe he's ready to take Wiegert's job. We'll address depth in the draft. Greenwood is the only one that I don't want to lose, but his performance doesn't justify his salary. This'll be the tough decision.

One other option, while I'm not a proponent for trading Carr (I truely believe he'll be a good QB for us in the future), cutting him, or trading him could net us an additional $3.25-5.25 million in cap space. If we're willing to go with Sage as our starter, while grooming a rookie (Kolb?), I could live with it. After all, I'm a Texan fan, not a player fan. By doing these things, we could give ourselves ~$22.25-27.75 million in total cap space. Or, at least, that's what I believe, & that would get us an elite CB like Samuel or Clements.

Now, it's my opinion, that the top 10-15 picks will be shaped by what Oakland does with the 1st pick. Will they take Russell, or Johnson? If they take Russell, I doubt we'll get a shot at AP (Cleveland).

So, back to David Carr. If we were to contact Oakland about a trade for Carr, that might encourage them to take Johnson with the #1 pick, thus giving Al Davis his starting QB & a stud WR. Then, one of Russell, or Quinn would be on the board when Cleveland picks. Hopefully, they'd choose a QB over AP.

As for the trade, I'd offer Carr/4th round pick for Oakland's 3rd/5th round picks. I'd even consider trading Carr for their 4th round pick this year & a 3rd next year, that could escalate based upon his performance. For my draft proposal, I'm going to assume (wishful thinking) that they accept the first proposal.

Let me make this perfectly clear, I like AP & would love to have him on our team, but if AP falls to us at #8, I'm going to call Green Bay & see if they'd like a shot at him. I believe that we've got to finish the DL/OL's before we can truely start adding the elite skill players. Without a strong foundation (OL/DL) first, we'll be back in the basement faster than we can shake a stick.

Anyway, back to the trade. I'd like to get Green Bay's 1st & 2nd round picks, but they've got a lot of holes to plug as well. So, I'd be willing to accept their 1st & 3rd this year, along with their 2nd next year. Assuming all of this happens the way I'm dreaming it would :rolleyes:, here's how I would draft in the upcoming draft.

1) (#16 from Green Bay) Amobi Okoye (DT) 2nd choice: Adam Carriker (DE)

2) Ben Grubbs (OG) 2nd choice: Ryan Kalil (C)

3a) (from Oakland) Tony Ugoh (OT) 2nd choice: Kevin Kolb (QB)

3b) Kevin Kolb (QB) 2nd choice: Ryan Harris (OT) 3rd choice: Samson Satele (C/OG)

3c) (from Green Bay) Dwayne Wright (RB) 2nd choice: Ken Darby 3rd choice: John Wendling (FS)

4) (traded to Oakland) no pick

5a) (from Oakland) John Wendling (FS) 2nd choice: Josh Wilson (CB) 3rd choice: C.J.Gaddis (CB)

5b) Stephen Nicholas (OLB) 2nd choice: Juwan Simpson (OLB) 3rd choice: Desmond Bishop (ILB)

6) Keith Jackson (DT) 2nd choice: Jacob Ford (DE) 3rd choice: Justin Hickman (DE)

7) Jacoby Jones (WR) 2nd choice: Aaron Fairooz (WR) 3rd choice: Paul Thompson (WR/QB)

Ahh, if only fantasy were real. Right or wrong, that's my story & I'm sticking to it. :D

I agree with Beerlover in regards to free agency, except that I would go hard after Asante Samuel. Just my preference.

I believe that the CB position is worth spending a boat load of cash on. There are other ways to increase our available cap space. For instance, if Payne, DD/DW, Greenwood, & Wiegert were cut after June 1st, or would be willing to do what McKinney did & take a pay cut, we could trim anywhere from $6-9.3 million off of this year's cap. According to HPF's site, we currently have about $13.3 million in available cap space. By adding the additional space, we'd have somewhere in the neighborhood of $19-22.5 million to spend on free agents & draft picks.

Now, before someone comes in here & points out the obvious fact that we'll have to replace them on the roster, let me point out a couple of things first.

First off, if they accept pay cuts, the problem is solved. Assuming they don't & we have to cut them, I believe Payne has already been replaced by Maddox, & my draft proposal at the end of this post will address the 2nd DT position. DD/DW is damaged goods & probably always will be. His replacement will be taken during the draft. Wiegert is old & will probably accept a pay cut, but if he doesn't, Winston showed me enough to make me believe he's ready to take Wiegert's job. We'll address depth in the draft. Greenwood is the only one that I don't want to lose, but his performance doesn't justify his salary. This'll be the tough decision.

One other option, while I'm not a proponent for trading Carr (I truely believe he'll be a good QB for us in the future), cutting him, or trading him could net us an additional $3.25-5.25 million in cap space. If we're willing to go with Sage as our starter, while grooming a rookie (Kolb?), I could live with it. After all, I'm a Texan fan, not a player fan. By doing these things, we could give ourselves ~$22.25-27.75 million in total cap space. Or, at least, that's what I believe.

Now, it's my opinion, that the top 10-15 picks will be shaped by what Oakland does with the 1st pick. Will they take Russell, or Johnson? If they take Russell, I doubt we'll get a shot at AP (Cleveland).

So, back to David Carr. If we were to contact Oakland about a trade for Carr, that might encourage them to take Johnson with the #1 pick, thus giving Al Davis his starting QB & a stud WR. Then, one of Russell, or Quinn would be on the board when Cleveland picks. Hopefully, they'd choose a QB over AP.

As for the trade, I'd offer Carr/4th round pick for Oakland's 3rd/5th round picks. I'd even consider trading Carr for their 4th round pick this year & a 3rd next year, that could escalate based upon his performance. For my draft proposal, I'm going to assume (wishful thinking) that they accept the first proposal.

Let me make this perfectly clear, I like AP & would love to have him on our team, but if AP falls to us at #8, I'm going to call Green Bay & see if they'd like a shot at him. I believe that we've got to finish the DL/OL's before we can truely start adding the elite skill players. Without a strong foundation (OL/DL) first, we'll be back in the basement faster than we can shake a stick.

Anyway, back to the trade. I'd like to get Green Bay's 1st & 2nd round picks, but they've got a lot of holes to plug as well. So, I'd be willing to accept their 1st & 3rd this year, along with their 2nd next year. Assuming all of this happens the way I'm dreaming it would :rolleyes:, here's how I would draft in the upcoming draft.

3b) Kevin Kolb (QB) 2nd choice: Ryan Harris (OT) 3rd choice: Samson Satele (C/OG)

3c) (from Green Bay) Dwayne Wright (RB) 2nd choice: Ken Darby 3rd choice: John Wendling (FS)

5a) (from Oakland) John Wendling (FS) 2nd choice: Josh Wilson (CB) 3rd choice: C.J.Gaddis (CB)

5b) Stephen Nicholas (OLB) 2nd choice: Juwan Simpson (OLB) 3rd choice: Desmond Bishop (ILB)

6) Keith Jackson (DT) 2nd choice: Jacob Ford (DE) 3rd choice: Justin Hickman (DE)

7) Jacoby Jones (WR) 2nd choice: Aaron Fairooz (WR) 3rd choice: Paul Thompson (WR/QB)

Ahh, if only fantasy were real. Right or wrong, that's my story & I'm sticking to it. :D

checks in the mail :money:

What?!? With today's technology, you're still using the mail?:D

Hottoddie, no way does Desmond Bishop fall all the way to the 5th round? He's MAYBE mid-2nd...if that far down. The guy hits anything that moves. I like your picks though. Although, Carriker is an overrated guy.....solid.

What about a trade with Green Bay? Carr for Rodgers and a 5th rounder.

Sound doable?

Assuming we stay where we are in the draft, I'll have to go with:

1. Adrian Peterson RB
2. Tony Ugoh OT
3. Fred Bennett CB
4. David Ball WR (This guy might go quicker than alot of people think)

FA Signings:
SS Michael Lewis (we badly need someone in place of Brown)
LG Eric Steinbach
QB Jake Plummer (go for him as soon as he leaves Denver)

OL: Ugoh, Steinbach, McKinney/Flanagan, Pitts, Spencer/Winston

IMO, that OL is not the best, but could definitely be solid. We pretty much shored up other needs in the draft...

Stud CB, LT, DE, and QB are always hard to find and they always cost premium but its a good investment for any team. We play in a division where you have premier passers so yes you do need stud secondaries who can cover.

I think the only reason Nate Clements will ever consider Texans is because he lives in Houston but he won't come cheap. Out side of that I don't think any decent FA will consider Houston as their option. In 5+ years we really haven't done anything.

Not only did our previous administration wasted our picks but literally they have crippled us financially. Our unofficial salary cap is like 13 MM and this year many teams have way more money to play with then we do.

Realistically as much as I like to see Nate Clements, Briggs, Adalius Thomas in the Texans uniform but I just don't it happening. We might bring in lower end FA to fill the roster but I don't believe they will be major contributer to team.

Last year, we brought in Weaver to play DE position opposite to Mario. Weaver is a good player whose strength lies in stopping the run but he is no threat to pass rush. Look how much money we wasted on him to sign with us and now we are talking about moving Weaver to inside and to draft another DE like Anderson in this draft to play across from MW.

Not only did our previous administration wasted our picks but literally they have crippled us financially. Our unofficial salary cap is like 13 MM and this year many teams have way more money to play with then we do.

The challenge to our front office is going to be in identifying the lower priced, relatively unknown players (like Maddox) that are going to be productive in our system without being overpriced. Like you, I don't think we have much of a chance in bringing in the big name guys and we might not have a chance to bring in the medium name guys without overpaying like the previous administration did.

I'm looking forward to this FO being creative and productive without being so creative and aggressive that they overpay for unproductive players or reach and try so hard to be smarter than everyone else that they outsmart themselves.

That's not asking too much, is it? :trophy:

Hottoddie, no way does Desmond Bishop fall all the way to the 5th round? He's MAYBE mid-2nd...if that far down. The guy hits anything that moves. I like your picks though. Although, Carriker is an overrated guy.....solid.

What about a trade with Green Bay? Carr for Rodgers and a 5th rounder.

Sound doable?

I don't think it'll matter if Bishop is there, or not. In all likelyhood, Nicholas or Simpson will be there in the 5th.

Carriker really stepped it up in the Senior Bowl & might be a better pro than college player. Or, he might be overrated as you say. Only time will tell.

As for a trade with Green Bay, I'd be willing to take a look at it, but it would eliminate any chance of getting Dwayne Wright & possibly Ken Darby. I like the deal with Oakland better. Besides, in my fantasy world, we get Kevin Kolb in the 3rd & wouldn't need Rodgers.

I definitly think hamlin and steinbeck would be the way to go. hamlin would be a huge improvent for FS over cc brown. imo SS we are fine with for now...people want to bring in a free agent but i think that would be a waste of money...we need a fs that can cover the pass. getting fa on the oline would help as well. we could draft a decent cb in the 2nd or 3rd maybe and i think them battling with faggins...having an upgraded FS would be a HUGE improvement to our secondary.

adding in the 1st and 2nd rd of levi brown and ryan kalil would be amazing and do wonders for our running/passing game down the road. if that happens i will not be upset.

I agree 100%. Lewis is a SS and not what we need to replace Brown at FS.

signing dewayne white would be a great move. the guy has the ability to post 15 sacks a season. he definitely outplayed simeon rice this year. and you guys just hired his old d-line coach. perfect.

One other option, while I'm not a proponent for trading Carr (I truely believe he'll be a good QB for us in the future), cutting him, or trading him could net us an additional $3.25-5.25 million in cap space. If we're willing to go with Sage as our starter, while grooming a rookie (Kolb?), I could live with it. After all, I'm a Texan fan, not a player fan. By doing these things, we could give ourselves ~$22.25-27.75 million in total cap space. Or, at least, that's what I believe, & that would get us an elite CB like Samuel or Clements.

You know, I didn't even snap to the possibility that AJ could restructure his contract (currently a $7.4 million cap hit) & get an extension all at the same time. He currently has 2 years left on his contract at ~$17.4 million. By doing that, we should be able to trim another $2-4 million off of this year's salary cap. That'd put us somewhere around $24-31 million under the cap.

You know, I didn't even snap to the possibility that AJ could restructure his contract (currently a $7.4 million cap hit) & get an extension all at the same time. He currently has 2 years left on his contract at ~$17.4 million. By doing that, we should be able to trim another $2-4 million off of this year's salary cap. That'd put us somewhere around $24-31 million under the cap.

Great idea, I bet that's something they are really looking at...kill two birds with one stone.

Back