Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

ESPN Texans Preview

By Doug Kretz, Scouts Inc.
Houston has the kind of RBs in Domanick Davis and Antowain Smith who can make the one cut and hit it up into the line of scrimmage with authority, which is what Gary Kubiak's system calls for.

Defensively, Houston has a problem...The linebackers should make a lot of plays with the 3-4 defense, but they don't have any stars and need to improve this position in the coming years.
I'm glad ESPN is (once again) paying close attention to the Texans.

Lucky said:
I'm glad ESPN is (once again) paying close attention to the Texans.
Tell me that he doesn't mean Offensive Center (OC) in this quote:
as only Zach Wiegert (OC) and Steve McKinney (OG) seem to have a lock on starting jobs.

That dude is horrible, somebody needs to send his bosses a message on this crap. That is inexcuseable.

We need to have a "Who can find the most errors in the ESPN Texans Preview" contest. 2nd place gets a years subscription to ESPN the Magazine. 1st place doesn't get a years subscription to ESPN the Magazine.

Lucky said:
We need to have a "Who can find the most errors in the ESPN Texans Preview" contest. 2nd place gets a years subscription to ESPN the Magazine. 1st place doesn't get a years subscription to ESPN the Magazine.

No one would play at the risk of coming in second place.

Superstar said:
They did the scouting and found out that antoine smith is the only one capable enough not to do good. So they want him to be in the line-up so reggie bush can show who is boss at running back. I hate ESPN.:homer:

I wish ESPN wasn't as scared of fans as they are, a lot of Fox Sports people put their email addresses out there so you can respond to what they say (and they will write back). ESPN gives you their email address, but rarely do they mention anything critical of them. ESPN's new marketing slogan "ESPN "The Hoover of Sports" translation "WE SUCK"

Ryans is undersized and will have trouble stoping the run if I recall they said the same thing about Zach Thomas and he plays pretty good:sarcasm:. Why is it every year there is a LB that is undersize and wont relate to the nfl. I know someone send this to Ryans so he can use it to destory little miss Payton.

Next they will be congratulating us on picking Reggie Bush, and wishing us luck in LA after our owner, Bud Adams, moves us there next year.

South Texan said:
Next they will be congratulating us on picking Reggie Bush, and wishing us luck in LA after our owner, Bud Adams, moves us there next year.

That's just hilarious. :)

I think it is more that they let their C writers write our preview. Still, that is rediculous that those people even have a job at ESPN. Michael Smith is ok, he atleast has the facts.

Most profound statement in the article:

-10 - Poor David Carr. The Texans' offensive line went through a league-high 10 lineup changes in 2005 -- 12 counting a new O-coordinator and new line coach -- which is one reason Houston allowed 68 sacks and finished 30th in offense.

Texian said:
Most profound statement in the article:

-10 - Poor David Carr. The Texans' offensive line went through a league-high 10 lineup changes in 2005 -- 12 counting a new O-coordinator and new line coach -- which is one reason Houston allowed 68 sacks and finished 30th in offense.

Most profound? how about ONLY profound statement

PowerfulDragon said:
I like Michael Smith.

once again, he sees the talent level of the young guys like mario. to be honest with you, what would truly help mario williams is antwan peek starting at the other DE. i know kubiak loves weaver, but if anyone can help draw some of the double teams that williams sees constantly, peek is the guy....hes too athletic and shifty for one guy to handle. he would free mario up.

riddle me this batman.

How is it that the guys at ESPN managed to figure out how many Oline changes we made last season.. INCLUDING the fact that we changed O-coordinator and Oline coach... but the fact that we run a 4-3, and that DD is injured and Smith may not even make the roster, escaped thier notice?

Maybe we didnt have a moron writing our article..maybe we had the smartest guy in the office. So smart that he is like one of those savants that can calculate the mysteries of the universe but cant wipe his butt after he takes a dump.

Or maybe they just have a stat database that tracks everything.. and they loaded up an "article template".. copied and pasted the names they noticed from our roster into the blanks.. then took the top ten stats that the Texans had last season and chunked em in there for good measure.

Id love to know how someone can get paid to write that.

TexanFanInCC said:
once again, he sees the talent level of the young guys like mario. to be honest with you, what would truly help mario williams is antwan peek starting at the other DE. i know kubiak loves weaver, but if anyone can help draw some of the double teams that williams sees constantly, peek is the guy....hes too athletic and shifty for one guy to handle. he would free mario up.

They would run over him. Peek doesn't have the lower body to hang with tackles on the line. He's a situational rusher.

Did anyone see the ticker note on ESPN about Ladd Herzog mooning a wedding party? :hides:

Michael Smith is awesome. He is by far my favorite ESPN writer. It seems to me he is the only one who knows at all what he is talking about, and Sportscenter would be done ten times better if he was running the show. He's the only one that see any potential in the Texans, that's for sure...

Grid said:
riddle me this batman.

How is it that the guys at ESPN managed to figure out how many Oline changes we made last season.. INCLUDING the fact that we changed O-coordinator and Oline coach... but the fact that we run a 4-3, and that DD is injured and Smith may not even make the roster, escaped thier notice?

I'm not batman, but here goes. Different parts of the preview were written by different folks.

It makes you wonder how accurate the other previews are too.

Grid said:
Id love to know how someone can get paid to write that.

I'm sad to say this, but not only does he get paid, he prolly makes more money than both of us :(

Sad, in an uncool and scary way...

TexanFanInCC said:

Peek is probably the best pass rusher we have...BUT he can not stand up to the run...He is not a complete defensive end, and AW brings much more to the table as far as being complete...Antwan starting at the other defensive end spot would only weaken our defense...

By Michael Smith, ESPN.com

OK, Houston Texans fans, Reggie Bush isn't walking through that tunnel, but Mario Williams is and he's a specimen. End/tackle Anthony Weaver was a big offseason pickup, and rookie linebacker DeMeco Ryans (second round) has a chance to be a real player. You can already see improvement in Houston's defense, which promises to be more aggressive under new coordinator Richard Smith.

As it has been throughout the franchise's short history, the Texans' fortunes are in the hands of David Carr. He's out of excuses. Gary Kubiak is going to put him in positions to be successful, the scheme is going to provide adequate protection, and somebody -- looks like sixth-round pick Wali Lundy -- will rush for 1,200 yards. Carr now has Eric Moulds lining up opposite Andre Johnson.

Kubiak's first major decision as head coach was deciding that Carr was, indeed, the guy to lead this team. Carr needs to start proving him right for Houston to escape the AFC South cellar. Keep in mind, though, this is a new, more complex system for Carr. But if he plays better, the Texans will be a lot better a lot quicker than most people think.

Looks like Michael Smith hit it about right on every point. He was also the only guy backing the Houston Pick.

Has anyone found an email address for this Kretz clown? I ventured over to his blog and saw that he is the scout for the AFC South - meaning he has only 4 teams to cover (none of which located in Washington where he apparently resides) and cannot get it right.

For those who wish to dumb themselves down by reading his blog here is the link:
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=kretz_doug
Note that this is an Insider article, though I do not think it is worth pasting in here are it is mostly worthless info.

I'm sure he is only worried about the Colts does not want to try to scout the Texans must still be bitter that he can't scout Bush.

Back