Thanks for your support!

ESPN Rumors - 4/22 [predicting DJ to drop FAR]

Xman

Waterboy
From ESPN.COM - the Insider

PLAYER INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Braylon Edwards
WR, Michigan 49ers
Redskins Apr. 22 - The Edwards and Alex Smith camps are getting the feeling that Edwards will now go No. 1, and not Smith, reports ESPN.com's John Clayton. All week, it's been Smith with the lead. No one knows for sure because 49ers coach Mike Nolan isn't saying. Edwards hasn't been offered a contract he can accept, but both sides know the parameters of a deal are in place in case Edwards is the pick. Even though Smith seems to be the preferred choice, it's not out of the question to have Edwards as the best player in the draft. The Dolphins have him No. 1 on their board.

Alex Smith
QB, Utah 49ers
Bucs Apr. 22 - Talks between the 49ers and Smith are all but dead, according to John Clayton. They've been going over the numbers and contract language for more than a week, and both sides know they can't reach a deal before the draft. Tom Condon, Smith's agent, said there will be no pre-draft day deal. The 49ers don't want to pay more than Eli Manning contract of a year ago. Condon wants the usual increase that goes with being the top pick.
The Bucs are still sitting in the weeds hoping to get Smith in a trade up at No. 2, and Smith believes he could end up in Tampa. The Bucs are willing to offer a third-round pick to move up now, but they may have to go with a second-rounder.

Shawne Merriman
LB-DE Maryland Cowboys Apr. 22 - The Cowboys have apparently settled on Merriman as their pass-rushing option at linebacker, but they are worried they may not be able to get him at No. 11. They are considering trade up possibilities just in case, according to John Clayton. Still, remember the Cowboys have the option of staying in a 4-3 and picking up Darren Howard in a trade.

Fabian Washington
CB, Nebraska Jaguars Apr. 22 - Six cornerbacks could go in the first round, and John Clayton is hearing Washington could be the choice of the Jaguars at No. 21. The Jaguars love Washington's speed and raw ability. He runs 4.29 40s and is the second-fastest player in the draft. The Jags need cornerback help, and Washington could develop into a star.

[B]Derrick Johnson :confused:
LB, Texas Lions
Chiefs Apr. 22 - Johnson could fall if the Lions don't take him at No. 10. It would be hard to imagine the Chiefs not taking him at No. 15 because he would be the perfect linebacker for Gunther Cunningham's system. Johnson isn't going to the Browns at No. 3 and may not go to them if they trade down in the first round. He's one of the best defensive players in the draft, but some teams prefer linebackers who take on blocks instead of run around and make plays. [/B]

Justin Miller
CB, Clemson Raiders Apr. 21 - The Raiders trade to No. 26 with the Redskins is a clear sign the Raiders are targeting cornerback Justin Miller. After trading Phillip Buchanan, the Raiders need a corner and a returner. Miller answers both questions. The problem could be if Miller goes earlier than No. 26. It's possible. The Jaguars are also looking at a cornerback. Fabian Washington might end up going No. 21, but Miller will also be considered.

WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Secondary Apr. 21 - The Jets move into the second round will give them a chance to fill out their secondary. They need a corner in the second round, but they will also heat up talks to sign veteran cornerback Andre Dyson. Stanley Wilson might be that second-round corner. The safety could end up being Josh Bullocks of Nebraska. They've been studying him closely over the past couple of months.

Troy Williamson
WR, South Carolina Vikings Apr. 21 - Williamson could beat out USC's Mike Williams for the precious No. 7 spot with the Minnesota Vikings. The Vikings like Williamson's speed. Though it's not a lock that they would take Williamson over Williams, it's becoming more of a possibility the closer we get to the draft.

Thomas Davis
S, Georgia Chiefs
Saints
Rams Apr. 21 - Add Kansas City to the growing list of teams that would consider making Thomas Davis of Georgia a linebacker. The Georgia safety is still high on the board at New Orleans for the same reasons. The Rams would like to draft him as a safety.

Cedric Benson
RB, Texas Bears Apr. 21 - The Bears keep talking as though Benson is their choice at No. 4. The Bears brass may have the ratings of the backs different than most. It would appear Ronnie Brown might be the No. 3 back on their board behind Benson and Cadillac Williams. More teams have Brown No. 1

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

No. 12 and No. 28 picks Apr. 20 - Only one year removed from trading the rights to No. 1 pick Eli Manning, the San Diego Chargers are setting up scenarios to be big players in the first round again. This time they want to emerge with an offensive and a defensive player.
The team is leaning toward keeping the No. 12 pick, but is listening to offers. One team above them has made an intriguing offer, while three teams have contacted them wanting to move up.

A more likely scenario is starting to develop at No. 28. Though the other team and the player are unknown at the moment, the Chargers are considering an exchange for a veteran defensive end and a draft choice.

If the Chargers can land the defensive end and the draft choice, they can concentrate on offense with their first pick.

If this is all true, I think texans might trade down. We almost might end up with DJ,Cadillac, or Mike Williams available to us at 13.

...... speaking as a somewhat impartial observer (not a UT fan or hater) I think we need to be prepared for the Texans to pass on DJ if he's available at 13 .... of all our needs Inside Linebacker isn't in the top 5 .....

:twocents:

chuckm said:
...... speaking as a somewhat impartial observer (not a UT fan or hater) I think we need to be prepared for the Texans to pass on DJ if he's available at 13 .... of all our needs Inside Linebacker isn't in the top 5 .....

:twocents:

and just what are the top 5 needs then?

:thumbup If one of the 3 LBs ,or the 3 RBs fell to 13 I'd take them . I'd would probably take one of the 3 WRs . I'm not sold on any OL or DL at 13 . What happens if Rolle drops to 13 ?

chuckm said:
OL
DL
WR
OLB
SS

arrange them however you like ....

Just how is SS a need for us? Wong will be gone after this season and we need somebody to take over for him, and there's nobody better than DJ...It's obvious the Texans are interested in him, since they brought him in for a visit...There's no way we pass on him...

chuckm said:
OL
DL
WR
OLB
SS

OL--don't really see one worth the #13 pick.
DL--one candidate who may very well be taken (odds are if DJ falls he has been) and certainly isn't as special as DJ is.
WR--probably only one candidate with a chance of falling (once again for DJ to fall, he is probably gone)--don't see how this any more than ties ILB as a need given this is a contract year for Wong and we have no proven ILB depth.
OLB--don't see how this any more than ties ILB as a need given this is a contract year for Wong and we have no proven ILB depth.
SS--not even within sniffing distance of as important a need as ILB.

For the tie-breaker--what have the Texans clearly been trying to do with their LB corp, particularly the ILB's--upgrade speed and coverage ability. Hmmm.

infantrycak said:
OL--don't really see one worth the #13 pick.

DL--one candidate who may very well be taken (odds are if DJ falls he has been) and certainly isn't as special as DJ is.

WR--probably only one candidate with a chance of falling (once again for DJ to fall, he is probably gone)--don't see how this any more than ties ILB as a need given this is a contract year for Wong and we have no proven ILB depth.

OLB--don't see how this any more than ties ILB as a need given this is a contract year for Wong and we have no proven ILB depth.

SS--not even within sniffing distance of as important a need as ILB.

Looks like Len Pasquarelli's article gives further proof of that.

• Don't be surprised if left offensive tackle Alex Barron of Florida State, generally regarded by draftniks as the top prospect at the position, slips a bit in the first round. "[Barron] might be in for a little bit of a wake-up call," suggested one NFC college scouting director. Several teams now have Jammal Brown of Oklahoma, always slated to go in the first round but suddenly one of the fastest-rising players in the days preceding the lottery, rated ahead of Barron on their boards.

There has been a perception that the Houston Texans, who got mixed results (and that's being kind) from Seth Wand in his first season as the leftside starter in 2004, would be elated to find Barron still available at their 13th spot. Not true. Fact is, the Texans are actually hoping to add an offensive skill-position player, such as South Carolina wide receiver Troy Williamson, who might be gone by the time Houston goes on the clock.

OK, so if Barron is snubbed by Houston, the next team in the draft order, the Carolina Panthers, would provide him a safety net, right? Maybe not. The buzz is that the Panthers prefer the tough-minded Brown, who played right tackle in college, but who Carolina coaches believe can move to the weakside pass-protection spot. Some team could get a steal in Barron. As for Barron, a freakishly-gifted athlete with a suspect motor, well, he might learn the lesson that, no matter how rare your athletic skills, you've still got to play the game with passion.

ESPN

Man if we draft Barron...n/m, I can't say it...it may be kids on the board.

IMO, if DJ,Ware or Merriman aren't at #13, CC trades down...You know what, think he trades down anyway.... :cool:

chuckm said:
OL
DL
WR
OLB
SS

I have to disagree.

OLine may be a bigger need than ILB, but there's no first-round player who would help our OLine any time soon, unless you count Baas, who's a high enough second rounder that you might call him a first - but not at #13.

DL isn't a bigger need than ILB, as we have our DLine starters set and a backup or two with experience. I'll agree DL is a big need as our starters are getting too old and too hurt for my comfort, but it's not as big as ILB, where we don't have our starters set.

WR is a big need, but not big enough to pass on an elite class ILB in favor of a pretty good WR.

OLB isn't a huge need if you believe Peek will be successful. Additionally if ILB is drafted in the first, Wong doesn't need to move and can be either the starter or depth at ROLB.

SS is not a first round need. This is a depth only need as we are set for our starter.

In a 3-4 defense, you live and die by your linebackers.

Positions:
WR - we signed Bradford to a 1-year contract. He is a marginal #2 at best. We don't have a realistic potential #2 as a backup either. Teams will continue to double-team AJ all of the time until we give them someone else to worry about. I would love to see Williamson across from AJ.
ILB - Wong is signed through this season. I'm not sure how well he will play on the inside. We could use a playmaker here. DJ could be that man.
OLB - We have struggled to find our ROLB for a while now. Is Peek that guy? I think he could be, and I would like to find out instead of using a 1st on someone else. I wouldn't be opposed to finding competition in the middle rounds though. If they take one 1st, then they obviously don't think Peek has "what it takes".
DE - Would be great to infuse youth here. Spears would be a nice addition. I would rather we trade down if we go this route.
NT - Nobody worth taking in the 1st half of the 1st round. I doubt we would take one late in the 1st if we traded down.
TE - Lets see what Joppru can do before taking one. I don't think Heath Miller is early 1st round material anyways.
OT - Along with ROLB, this has been the most discussed position on the team. Wand looks like a marginal LT at this point. He might get better (I think he will), but we could definitely do better. Do we reach on Barron or one of the other highly rated ones? I hope if we go this route we have dropped down in the 1st. I will be really upset if we trade up in the 1st to upgrade here.
SS - Lets see Earl get 100% healthy and show us his talent.

Well i do believe that resigning of Bradford lessens the need for a WR by alot. I think we go LB or trade down. I think Seattle or Indy would offer enough to jump at 1 of the big 3 since there will be trades involving a 2nd rounder. Seattle has what the 22 say they pick up the #46 from my Miami for Alexander
I saw we package the #13 for #22 and #46 why not.
Colts say they trade edge to the phins #29 and #46 and they still have a #2

I think these teams will have some leaverage to throw at the Texans if 1 of the big 3 drops..

I think OLB is biggest someone who can contain for our D-line and inside LB
OL is #2 prob be the next pick we do need depth badly here
DL #3 same as OL
WR Bradford resigning makes this go from #2 to #4 on my list.
RB push DD
SS same as OL & DL

royce1054 said:
Well i do believe that resigning of Bradford lessens the need for a WR by alot.

How does signing (on a one year deal) THE guy who hasn't been able to pull coverage off AJ the past two year lesson the need for a guy to pull coverage off AJ?

infantrycak said:
How does signing (on a one year deal) THE guy who hasn't been able to pull coverage off AJ the past two year lesson the need for a guy to pull coverage off AJ?

LOL :heh:

infantrycak said:

well it knocks it down its not as immediate as it was before. Now we can draft a later round guy and let him learn.

infantrycak said:

I guess there are really two Corey Bradford's. One being the one who wasn't able to pull coverage off of AJ, and the other who looks, talks, walks, and acts just like the first but who does pull coverage off of AJ. This is bizarro world afterall.

i for one don't see us letting wong go after this season unless he has a season ending injury and even then with the texans record of re-signing aging injury cases is high...capers loves wongs smarts and willingness to do anything the team needs...as far as our team needs i look at this way
WR: bradford re-signed but we all know he's not the answer and we need a #2 guy for andre
OL: if you don't think this is a major need you haven't been watching the games...although the tackle position is weak the Guards and centers aren't
DL: how many more times are we gonna see payne and g-funk get hurt before we draft a young stud to come in and put in rotation
OLB: i personally see peek having a great season as our starting ROLB...you're hereing it here first PEEK WILL HAVE 8.5 SKS as long as he stays healthy
ILB: major need...behind wong and greenwood we have nothing but journeyman and that's putting it nicely...polk did ok but so did foreman...we need to get young studs here
SS: i don't see this as a need we have earl, walker, and young...all three are young and capable of doing the job
FS: behind coleman we have Lord a QB in college...need i say more
RB: Unless Wells progresses into a punishing powerback we need to pick up one
everyting i see as being ok...unless joppru is unable to come back this season and freakin stay healthy

I really think that if DJ falls we take him unless someone offers us something great. Other than that why not trade down and pick up some extra picks. Hell Barron is a great pick at 19-32. I really hate the Longhorns but DJ is a player alot of people say he runs around blocks, but so does ray lewis and any other linebacker, that is what you are suppose to do 240 vs. 330. I wonder who will move who. Come on people wake up!!

SS isnt a concern.

The 5 ppl I most want to see as Texans are, in no particular order...

Ware
DJ
Benson*
Davis
Williamson

and no, I would not see us using Davis as a SS.

*and if for some ridiculous reason Brown is there instead, as John Clayton said over at ESPN, then Id take him.

Has anyone thought about the switch of Peek to ILB. I know he is uncontrolled madness but at the Mac posistion his blitzing and speed would be great. You are saying he is also weak against the run, if they are coming right at him or he sees the play and can get in pursuit will he really be that bad? He has sharper type ability. I mean remember sharper played OLB for the Ravens when they won their super bowl and he was young and athletic. Peek can get the job done the only thing he should not be allowed to do is call the Defensive plays. We know Wong is likely gone after this season unless he is willing to take a pay cut, but we are moving into the meat of our franchise people and we are gearing up to be a fast attacking team why not put our fastest freak LB on the field.

Has anyone thought about the switch of Peek to ILB. I know he is uncontrolled madness but at the Mac posistion his blitzing and speed would be great. You are saying he is also weak against the run, if they are coming right at him or he sees the play and can get in pursuit will he really be that bad? He has sharper type ability. I mean remember sharper played OLB for the Ravens when they won their super bowl and he was young and athletic. Peek can get the job done the only thing he should not be allowed to do is call the Defensive plays. We know Wong is likely gone after this season unless he is willing to take a pay cut, but we are moving into the meat of our franchise people and we are gearing up to be a fast attacking team why not put our fastest freak LB on the field.

In all honesty, I never really thought about that, it wouldn't hurt to try and he would add that speed factor. And he is the exact same weight and height as Jamie Sharper.

While we are talking about unlikely position changes, what about Glenn Earl moving to ILB and Thomas Davis being the SS...

Glenn Earl is quite small, whereas Peek would be a viable option at the ILB posistion. He has all the tools but just needs to leaurn the posistion. Scourge it is not anywere near unlikely that this posistion change would not be an option.

cadahnic said:
You are saying he is also weak against the run, if they are coming right at him or he sees the play and can get in pursuit will he really be that bad?

Peek is not weak against the run in totality. It is more particular--he has been weak on assessing the play and choosing between run/pass (his default mode is pass) and thereby losing containment to the outside.

texan279 said:
foxsports.com has DJ falling to #15 to the Chiefs and has us picking Barron at #13... :thumbdown

I saw this on another site and called it blasphomous and a guy from Philly said i more inclined right now to believe him that you. I was like ok whatever man dont bet on it.

texasguy346 said:
Looks like Len Pasquarelli's article gives further proof of that.

ESPN
hmmmm I believe I've been saying that stuff about Barron for a few weeks now, but some people do not believe in credibility...

I win.

texansfan88 said:
hmmmm I believe I've been saying that stuff about Barron for a few weeks now, but some people do not believe in credibility...

I win.

Don't be too flattered just yet. Pasquarelli also said that we should trade Glenn to the Jets.

texansfan88 said:

I win.

Watch out or your going to get a crick in you arm patting yourself on the back.

Now i do believe that Mike Williams might be a better fit than Williamson but i can't be picky, i can't wait to see how active this board is around the 10th pick or so.

Back