Eric Winston

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Yankee_In_TX, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

So.... Some one break him down for me. I had to actually go see who our starting RT was. Then I realized aside from when he was drafted, I don't remember much being said about him last year, good or bad. With RT being crucial (unless Schaub can get the passing game going), I was wondering how the Texans were/are at this spot.

2. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

IMO, his run blocking was pretty good. I'm sure he could use more practice on his pass blocking. Although, he looked pretty good overall towards the end of the season.

Remember the 4th and 1 to ice the game against the Jags? It was over Winstons side.:doot:

3. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

i hope eric proves me wrong but i just dont see him as our long term rt

4. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I disagree. Although he has short arms for a tackle, I thought he came along nicely, and should be able to hold down the fort there for a good long period of time. I am not sure he will ever be an elite RT, but there is nothing wrong with simply being a good, solid RT either.

5. texansturningthecorner

texansturningthecorner Rookie

i agree he got burned a couple of times by solid DE but he was a rookie and that is to be expected. other than those few times he did a good job and i think he will get better and will be there for a long time my self.

Runner likes this.
  6. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

This is what I know about him: Before Winston tore-up his knee, he was considered to be one of College's best LT. Winston came back to play his senior year and performed will against college talent. Many scouts projected him to go in the first round of last years draft, but instead, he fell like a stone.

Winston came in and played at both tackle positions for us last year, but was primarily used on the right side. I saw him have both good and bad plays. Basically, he looked like a rookie to me.

I'm really high on this guy and think, if his knee holds up; he will be a very good tackle for us. I've always projected him as a LT because he has the feet for it. Being a former TE, he's quick off the ball and very athletic. Winston also has a nasty streak, which I like.

This year is a very important year in his development.

Did anyone notice that I-65 (Jordan Black) has already been moved down to second string at LT?

Texans Horror likes this.
  7. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

He was never 1st string.

Kubiak named Winston the most improved player last year and was very complimentary of his play toward the end of the year.

8. real

real Guest

I really don't see any reason that Winston can't be a force at RT other than unforseen injury problems...

9. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

Eric looks like he has the potential to be a good solid RT. He's got the physical talent & the toughness to play the position. It's a matter of proper technique that will determine how good he can be. If he plays up to his potential I think he could easily be our RT for several years.

Hopefully Spencer can be the answer at LT.

10. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Winston has the technique he just needs to regain his athleticism & get stronger. was very polished in College (Miami) never has been quite the same since tearing his acl. Joe Thomas showed he can come back in one year but he is the exception to the rule, I would think 3 years removed should be about the average to becoming fully recovered so I expect Eric to lock down RT for the Texans :cool:

11. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Winston will imo be our RT for quite some time. 2nd season in the system & moves made in off season to better offense will benefit him. His feet are more important than inches on his arms. He has a solid center and should be even stronger this year. Another year away from his injury. I wished I was as certain of our LT. Hopefully Salaam, Black and (maybe) Spencer will keep QB on his feet. Do not be surprised to see a few more plays going to the right this season. Or maybe using Mathis in a reverse from left side taking a hand off from Schaub and going right. Mathis speed if hamstrings ease would be fun to watch.

12. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

I could have sworn I saw him as the starter before OTAs but, heck, I've been wrong before. Sorry y'all.

I'll be interested to see how Joe Thomas fairs this year. Thomas' return in one year may have been good enough for college, but it may not hold up against professional talent. I'm not saying he won't be a good player, just maybe take a little longer then people expect.

13. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I noticed on the NFLN show he was on the RT side for the twos. Maybe just a spot filler for now. Either way, I think Salaam will be the starter at LT until 'Tha Big Nasty' is ready. Did anyone notice on the show how much of a mammoth this guy is? Even the sloth Dukes gave an under the breath "wow" when the camera showed him.:cool:

14. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

For some reason, one of the radio personalities was saying he was the starter but Kubiak said Spencer's primary backup was Salaam and he has always been listed ahead of Black on the depth chart.

15. eric138

eric138 Veteran

From what I remember Eric is the reason our running game was getting better towards the end of the year. Our 10+ yard runs were played right at him..

16. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

I met Eric last year and physically, the man is a MONSTER!! I definitely did the "WOW" thing!!:) If his talent remotely matches his size, he will be a force to deal with for years to come at RT. An extremely nice guy too!! I can see him easily becoming a favorite amongst TEXAN fans. I hope he stays healthy and has a terrific year!

17. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Mark me down the the Eric Winston fan club. We got to sit with him at the team luncheon last year. Really nice guy, funny, a bit of a smart ass, not lacking for confidence but understanding his limitations. Sometimes you get seated next to kind of a zero, but he was very personable.

He said that it was a bit of a learning curve to figure out how to go from the left side of the line to the right because the footwork is different. You got the sense that he'd rather be on the left.

I understood he dropped last year because concerns long term about his knee. When I talked to him, he said he never even thinks of the knee. That it is fine. (Though that is what I'd say too if I had a bum knee).

He had a series of blogs he did for the Midland newspaper during his senior season. Very thoughtful stuff in it. He talked a lot about the drafting process. If you noodle around a bit, you can maybe find them on the net.

As for his play, yeah, Kubiak said complementary things about him. Hard to really evaluate him because the Texans really didn't try to throw much by the time he got most of his playing time. In the preseason, he played against mostly second/third string guys and seemed to be much better than they were, just eyeball things. (When the backups were in, I was watching him a bunch because I had just met him).

It would be nice if he were the answer on the right side.

18. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

You are correct Hagar. Black was listed #1 on the DC at LT. I dunno how long his name appeared there, and for all I know it was purely a mistake by whoever maintains the Texans website. But he was in fact listed as the #1 LT for a period of time.

19. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Short arms kept him away from a NFL LT position.

20. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I met him at All Access 2006, and even sitting down that dude is big. He was really cool in our brief autograph session, though. And like everyone else, I hope he's our long term answer at RT.