Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Eric Winston

Yankee_In_TX

Dance Lindsay!
So.... Some one break him down for me. I had to actually go see who our starting RT was. Then I realized aside from when he was drafted, I don't remember much being said about him last year, good or bad. With RT being crucial (unless Schaub can get the passing game going), I was wondering how the Texans were/are at this spot.

So.... Some one break him down for me. I had to actually go see who our starting RT was. Then I realized aside from when he was drafted, I don't remember much being said about him last year, good or bad. With RT being crucial (unless Schaub can get the passing game going), I was wondering how the Texans were/are at this spot.

IMO, his run blocking was pretty good. I'm sure he could use more practice on his pass blocking. Although, he looked pretty good overall towards the end of the season.

Remember the 4th and 1 to ice the game against the Jags? It was over Winstons side.:doot:

i hope eric proves me wrong but i just dont see him as our long term rt

I disagree. Although he has short arms for a tackle, I thought he came along nicely, and should be able to hold down the fort there for a good long period of time. I am not sure he will ever be an elite RT, but there is nothing wrong with simply being a good, solid RT either.

I disagree. Although he has short arms for a tackle, I thought he came along nicely, and should be able to hold down the fort there for a good long period of time. I am not sure he will ever be an elite RT, but there is nothing wrong with simply being a good, solid RT either.

i agree he got burned a couple of times by solid DE but he was a rookie and that is to be expected. other than those few times he did a good job and i think he will get better and will be there for a long time my self.

This is what I know about him: Before Winston tore-up his knee, he was considered to be one of College's best LT. Winston came back to play his senior year and performed will against college talent. Many scouts projected him to go in the first round of last years draft, but instead, he fell like a stone.

Winston came in and played at both tackle positions for us last year, but was primarily used on the right side. I saw him have both good and bad plays. Basically, he looked like a rookie to me.

I'm really high on this guy and think, if his knee holds up; he will be a very good tackle for us. I've always projected him as a LT because he has the feet for it. Being a former TE, he's quick off the ball and very athletic. Winston also has a nasty streak, which I like.

This year is a very important year in his development.

Did anyone notice that I-65 (Jordan Black) has already been moved down to second string at LT?

Did anyone notice that I-65 (Jordan Black) has already been moved down to second string at LT?

He was never 1st string.

Kubiak named Winston the most improved player last year and was very complimentary of his play toward the end of the year.

I really don't see any reason that Winston can't be a force at RT other than unforseen injury problems...

Eric looks like he has the potential to be a good solid RT. He's got the physical talent & the toughness to play the position. It's a matter of proper technique that will determine how good he can be. If he plays up to his potential I think he could easily be our RT for several years.

Hopefully Spencer can be the answer at LT.

Winston has the technique he just needs to regain his athleticism & get stronger. was very polished in College (Miami) never has been quite the same since tearing his acl. Joe Thomas showed he can come back in one year but he is the exception to the rule, I would think 3 years removed should be about the average to becoming fully recovered so I expect Eric to lock down RT for the Texans :cool:

Winston will imo be our RT for quite some time. 2nd season in the system & moves made in off season to better offense will benefit him. His feet are more important than inches on his arms. He has a solid center and should be even stronger this year. Another year away from his injury. I wished I was as certain of our LT. Hopefully Salaam, Black and (maybe) Spencer will keep QB on his feet. Do not be surprised to see a few more plays going to the right this season. Or maybe using Mathis in a reverse from left side taking a hand off from Schaub and going right. Mathis speed if hamstrings ease would be fun to watch.

He was never 1st string.
I could have sworn I saw him as the starter before OTAs but, heck, I've been wrong before. Sorry y'all.

I'll be interested to see how Joe Thomas fairs this year. Thomas' return in one year may have been good enough for college, but it may not hold up against professional talent. I'm not saying he won't be a good player, just maybe take a little longer then people expect.

He was never 1st string.

Kubiak named Winston the most improved player last year and was very complimentary of his play toward the end of the year.

I noticed on the NFLN show he was on the RT side for the twos. Maybe just a spot filler for now. Either way, I think Salaam will be the starter at LT until 'Tha Big Nasty' is ready. Did anyone notice on the show how much of a mammoth this guy is? Even the sloth Dukes gave an under the breath "wow" when the camera showed him.:cool:

I could have sworn I saw him as the starter before OTAs but, heck, I've been wrong before. Sorry y'all.

For some reason, one of the radio personalities was saying he was the starter but Kubiak said Spencer's primary backup was Salaam and he has always been listed ahead of Black on the depth chart.

From what I remember Eric is the reason our running game was getting better towards the end of the year. Our 10+ yard runs were played right at him..

Did anyone notice on the show how much of a mammoth this guy is? Even the sloth Dukes gave an under the breath "wow" when the camera showed him.:cool:

I met Eric last year and physically, the man is a MONSTER!! I definitely did the "WOW" thing!!:) If his talent remotely matches his size, he will be a force to deal with for years to come at RT. An extremely nice guy too!! I can see him easily becoming a favorite amongst TEXAN fans. I hope he stays healthy and has a terrific year!

Mark me down the the Eric Winston fan club. We got to sit with him at the team luncheon last year. Really nice guy, funny, a bit of a smart ass, not lacking for confidence but understanding his limitations. Sometimes you get seated next to kind of a zero, but he was very personable.

He said that it was a bit of a learning curve to figure out how to go from the left side of the line to the right because the footwork is different. You got the sense that he'd rather be on the left.

I understood he dropped last year because concerns long term about his knee. When I talked to him, he said he never even thinks of the knee. That it is fine. (Though that is what I'd say too if I had a bum knee).

He had a series of blogs he did for the Midland newspaper during his senior season. Very thoughtful stuff in it. He talked a lot about the drafting process. If you noodle around a bit, you can maybe find them on the net.

As for his play, yeah, Kubiak said complementary things about him. Hard to really evaluate him because the Texans really didn't try to throw much by the time he got most of his playing time. In the preseason, he played against mostly second/third string guys and seemed to be much better than they were, just eyeball things. (When the backups were in, I was watching him a bunch because I had just met him).

It would be nice if he were the answer on the right side.

You are correct Hagar. Black was listed #1 on the DC at LT. I dunno how long his name appeared there, and for all I know it was purely a mistake by whoever maintains the Texans website. But he was in fact listed as the #1 LT for a period of time.

I met Eric last year and physically, the man is a MONSTER!! I definitely did the "WOW" thing!!:) If his talent remotely matches his size, he will be a force to deal with for years to come at RT. An extremely nice guy too!! I can see him easily becoming a favorite amongst TEXAN fans. I hope he stays healthy and has a terrific year!

I met him at All Access 2006, and even sitting down that dude is big. He was really cool in our brief autograph session, though. And like everyone else, I hope he's our long term answer at RT.

Short arms kept him away from a NFL LT position.

Check out his arm measurements as listed on the web. They are all over the place, and not different than many starting NFL LTs. He doesn't have crazy long arms like a few guys, but they aren't totally t-rex.

Somebody a while back mentioned that Spencer was a Sherman pick and Winston was more of a Casserly value pick. Don't know if there is much to that speculation, but even if they talk that play on the field is all that matters, coaches are humans and it is hard not to play favorites. Winston only got his PT last year because the guy in front of him went down. He was able to show some of what he could do, but this second year is going to be a key one for him.

Short arms kept him away from a NFL LT position.

"The biggest problem I have with Thomas is something that he cannot control; he lacks one of the physical traits that you look for in a tackle, more specifically long arms: his arms are only 32 inches long."
http://craveonline.com/sports/articles/04647986/2007_nfl_draft_selection_review_pt_1.html
Notwithstanding his measurement for this trait, didn't keep J. Thomas from going #3 overall in this years Draft ? I dunno, so go figure ?

Winston is perfecting the "scowl". One look from him as they line up across the l.o.s. and the defensive player runs to hide on the bench often causing a penalty for not enough players on defense. The scowl will make up for his incredibly miniscule arms.

i agree with this. The only thing that I saw as a negitive was that occasionally he got beat by a inside move. He's a young 'un and is still learning. I don't think it's anything to worry about. He got better every game. Baring inury he should be the starting RT for us for the next several years. The more reps he gets the better he is going to be. Lot of rust on him from missing the reps in college. But he is knocking it off nicly. He just needs more reps.

As with any offensive lineman, the time when people remember you most is when you get beat. And Eric sure got his a few times.
I wish we have all the tapes to evaluate him more fairly.
But he did got smoke at times, most noticeably on the sacks like by the Raiders.

However, he was also instrumental on several key blocks that resulted in TD for us, mostly on the run. I can recall some good blocks where he wins the battle at the LOS, but I can only acknowledge for certain those I can see in the reviews at nfl.com

What makes it even more difficult to evaluate is that we were really concentrating on running the ball more in the second half of the season. (Against mostly below average run defensive team, except for the Pats and the Jets, if I remember correctly.)

Honestly, I think my memory wants to reject the images from those 2 games (Pats & Jets). But, still somehow, I think Winston wasn't terrible in those games.
Seems like nothing really bad that really stand out.

What I mean is, from the limited view my angle can afford, the guy looks like a solid backup. Is he a capable starting RT? Possibly, at least he's not a red flag of a disaster (I think). Beyond that, it's too much more than I can assume.

Before I start, I want to point out that I was on the bandwagon for the Texans to take Eric as a RT while Eric was still in college, so I'm obviously big on the player and probably biased. I think he had a fine rookie season but you can't be too critical. He needs time to get the new system down, to heal (knees can take years), and to grow as a player. I don't expect huge things of him this season. He will hold his own, though, and will continue to develop into one of the better RTs in the league.

Very athletic player - obviously has good hands for a lineman since he started off as TE at the U. I've wondered if/when the Texans will involve him in a trick play. Have him line up as TE. I'd love that, but then again there's a reason TH doesn't design the playbook...

Winston is perfecting the "scowl". One look from him as they line up across the l.o.s. and the defensive player runs to hide on the bench often causing a penalty for not enough players on defense. The scowl will make up for his incredibly miniscule arms.

i believe there is only a penalty when its over 11 players

I'm not ready to put him in the Pro-Bowl yet, but Winston, Weary, and Pitts are my three favorite offensive linemen.

He has shown a nice ability to get open. If what we hear about Schaub (good field vision) is correct he should find him quite often and that should make his numbers look great and as we all know numbers are usually what puts a player into the Pro-Bowl. Another thing that might boost his numbers is that he should be our #2 option.

He has shown a nice ability to get open. If what we hear about Schaub (good field vision) is correct he should find him quite often and that should make his numbers look great and as we all know numbers are usually what puts a player into the Pro-Bowl. Another thing that might boost his numbers is that he should be our #2 option.

so are you talking about eric winston the tackle or owen daniels the tight end?

i dont think we need an answer to that

well i thought id give him the chance to correct himself since he is talking about the player making a pro bowl appearance. i agree daniels has a chance this year with schaub running the offense, but i would have liked to see his opinion (as well as everyone elses) about winston

Thanks for re-introducing those, TC. Good stuff. Very interesting reading he was led to believe he'd surely be a first-rounder. We are ridiculously lucky he was there in the 3rd for us.

I just wanted to take a moment to underscore some perspective.

Winston was a stand-out left tackle at The U of Miami, and but for the injury would most assuredly been a 1st round draft pick.

He was a steal in the 3rd round. He has performed solidly in his first year. (Did anyone else notice the high proportion of short yardage situations that were run behind Winston?)

We have no reason to believe anything other than continued success from one Mr. Winston.

I am very optimistic that Eric will be a keystone on a much improved Texan's offensive line.

Winston was a stand-out left tackle at The U of Miami, and but for the injury would most assuredly been a 1st round draft pick.

He was a steal in the 3rd round. He has performed solidly in his first year. (Did anyone else notice the high proportion of short yardage situations that were run behind Winston?)

We have no reason to believe anything other than continued success from one Mr. Winston.

I am very optimistic that Eric will be a keystone on a much improved Texan's offensive line.
and all God's children said Amen

Well said.

Back