Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

End Zone Celebrations

Vinny

shiny happy fan
High School and College ball enjoy great success and excitement for hundreds of thousands of football fans across America. Of course, celebrations are outlawed after scoring TD's in these leagues. Does that take away from their game?

With that said, I don't mind a little TD dance myself but when the players make these celebrations personal attacks on the fans as in Owens and Moss's shows of disdain I would not fault the NFL if they wanted to nip this in the bud before something ugly happens. The players and the fans are interacting more and more each year and it’s not just the home team jumping into the stands and enjoying a home TD. There are more visiting teams that have players stand up and want to make this personal with fans after scoring and I think it is a dangerous trend. I think the game would lose nothing of value if it was more like College ball in this regard.

WWJD said:
I very much agree also and I am fast becoming more of a college fan than pro.

I like college fan interaction. There is alot more respect between the players and fans. You don't hear home teams booing or cheering sarcastically after every play. Occasionally you get the old fire the coach campaign, or QB can't get it done. But it sure is alot more cheerful.

Because they don't get paid.

I watched more college games than I usually do and for the most part they were all entertaining. As much as I don't like the BCS system I have to admit that for the most part this year's bowl games were very good also.

Vinny said:
I think the game would lose nothing of value if it was more like College ball in this regard.

Playing the Devil's Advocate here, but that all depends whose eyes you're seeing this from. The NFL doesn't want multiple-player endzone celebrations because that encourages fighting between the teams. But they don't discourage single-player celebrations, because if they did, they'd have to throw the baby out with the bathwater, and do away with spiking the ball in the endzone, AJ's Reliant Leap, and all that good stuff that you would use to accuse the NFL of being the "No Fun League". You can't draw a line in the sand on this thing. Either you allow it , or you don't.

Just remember that the NFL is market driven. Controversial stunts, like the thing that Randy Moss pulled during the weekend actually helps that market. Why do you think the NFL only wrist-slapped a $5000 fine on him? If they really didn't want him to do it, they'd have hit him with a $75,000 fine, or suspension. Because putting a player out of the game, especially quarterbacks, hurts the NFL's market appeal.

The $5000 was a token PR gesture to all the "outraged" John McClains' and Rich Lords' out there to make it appear that they publicly disapprove of what Moss did. But they also know that a lot more people will be tuning in to watch the Eagles/Vikings game this Sunday.

People will watch that game just to see what Randy will do. People will watch that game hoping that one of the Eagles defenders will knock his head off.

People will watch. And for the NFL, that's the bottom line.

Marcus said:
Just remember that the NFL is market driven.

I don't buy that a single fan would stop buying seats or merchandise if all celebrations were banned. There would be lots of complaining but in the end people are there for the game not the celebration.

I disagree, it sounds pretty boring to me. Yesterday i think someone mentioned they miss the day when Earl Campbell would score and just hand the ball to the ref. I can only imagine how fun that would be.

When did it become wrong to show a little emotion and joke around or in Randy's case taunt the fans a little. As far as fan-athelete relationships go, you don't think the atheletes around the world get taunted by fans game after game. You can say it's part of their job and all, but how would you react if someone came to your job and harassed you with offensive comments? I'm sure you wouldn't just celebrate in their face when you make a sell or something LoL.

A little endzone celebration is harmless. I think people need to lighten up a little, no alot. Randy mimicking a moon to a group of fans, Joe Horn with a cell phone, or TO with a Sharpie is all fun and games. To fine someone for something like that, no matter how much money they make is ridiculous.

I think this is total bull**** how people are going insane about this.

1. The league obviously need to up the fine for something like this if they want it to stop.

2. I think the player should be able to do an endzone dance if he wants. If the fans dont like it, then they will hold a grudge against him.

3. I dont mind them. I think they add something to the game.

But my main complaint is that if the league wants them to stop doing endzone dances, that the fines arent harsh enough for these nfl players and their multi-million dollar endorsments to stop.

AndreJ said:
I disagree, it sounds pretty boring to me.

My point had nothing to do with whether it was harmless or entertaining, etc.--it was economics have nothing to do with whether celebrations should be allowed. Are you really saying you or any other person that actually buys tickets that you know of would quit watching the NFL if they banned TD celebrations?

But I see what you mean about boring, I mean Moss' butt shake sure was more entertaining than the scramble and perfect 40+ yd pass that got him the ball in the perfect spot to shake his booty.

infantrycak said:
My point had nothing to do with whether it was harmless or entertaining, etc.--it was economics have nothing to do with whether celebrations should be allowed. Are you really saying you or any other person that actually buys tickets that you know of would quit watching the NFL if they banned TD celebrations?

But I see what you mean about boring, I mean Moss' butt shake sure was more entertaining than the scramble and perfect 40+ yd pass that got him the ball in the perfect spot to shake his booty.

And my point had absolutely nothing to do with your message although i thought it was true. I said nothing about not buying tickets or not watching games just because endzone celebrations weren't allowed.

I simply said not having endzone celebrations and fining players for them is ridiculous and boring. There is an amendment in the country that states freedom of speech, religion..... etc. Im pretty sure celebrating for any particular reason falls somewhere in that category. If you dont enjoy watching players celebrate after scoring a touchdown close your eyes, or change the channel. Simple as that.

How many times do you think you would have seen that Culpepper to Moss replay this week if it hadn't been for him dancing in the end zone? and how many people do you think would be discussing it on the board?

AndreJ said:
And my point had absolutely nothing to do with your message although i thought it was true. I said nothing about not buying tickets or not watching games just because endzone celebrations weren't allowed.

I simply said not having endzone celebrations and fining players for them is ridiculous and boring. There is an amendment in the country that states freedom of speech, religion..... etc. Im pretty sure celebrating for any particular reason falls somewhere in that category. If you dont enjoy watching players celebrate after scoring a touchdown close your eyes, or change the channel. Simple as that.

How many times do you think you would have seen that Culpepper to Moss replay this week if it hadn't been for him dancing in the end zone? and how many people do you think would be discussing it on the board?

I agree. They (usually) make people laugh and are all for fun. I think it is a good thing for them to celebrate a touchdown, heck I would, it takes a lot to get one! People need to lighten up.

How about when a guy scores, show the crowd, or the sidelines, or show us four replays from 4 different angles, then cut to the team lining up for the PAT instead of showing these guys doing whatever after they score?? I just thought it funny that during Buck's entire slamming of Moss, the camera NEVER went away from Moss. I apolgize that this was on our air but don't you dare take that camera off of him.

Show the score and stop showing the celebration and all of this will go away. I mean come on. The main story in Philly this year wasn't how good TO made the Eagles, it was what is TO going to do when he scores? That's freaking stupid.

The networks need to quit showing it, it won't be on Sportscenter any more and we won't have to waste time every week talking about the freak of the week and his stupid endzone antics. :twocents:

I like most TD celebrations. I find them entertaining and am glad they're a part of the show. As long as they don't have sinister intentions (I saw Moss's post-game interview where he basically said, "I wasn't trying to be mean spirited or anything.") then I don't see what the problem is.

I've seen/heard some people label Moss "classless" for pretending to pull his pants down. I haven't heard anyone label Brett Favre classless for his "cutthroat" rendition. But cutting someone's throat isn't as bad as mooning somebody and he was just joking anyways, right? :thud:

Wake me up when someone actually does something thats offensive...like oh I don't know,pull their pants down.

The media strikes again,when it comes to overreacting...they have nothing better to do,than to get on a measly *** TD Celebration...now when a player REALLY pulls his pants down,then people should get upset...but as for this,its nothing...like I said,the media have got nothing better to do,so they pick at this little *** incident. This topic is starting to bore me...hell,im glad he did it...he and his team beat a rival in a PLAYOFF game...if its me,im gloating my *** off :). (call me classless,want class....there are tons of schools in the state of Texas where u can have all the class u want)

Moss is a great player,and I hope he (and TO and all the other players who do it) don't stop doing crazy things in the end zone...cuz I like that kind of stuff...thats just me. :)

Speedy said:
How about when a guy scores, show the crowd, or the sidelines, or show us four replays from 4 different angles, then cut to the team lining up for the PAT instead of showing these guys doing whatever after they score?? I just thought it funny that during Buck's entire slamming of Moss, the camera NEVER went away from Moss. I apolgize that this was on our air but don't you dare take that camera off of him.

Show the score and stop showing the celebration and all of this will go away. I mean come on. The main story in Philly this year wasn't how good TO made the Eagles, it was what is TO going to do when he scores? That's freaking stupid.

The networks need to quit showing it, it won't be on Sportscenter any more and we won't have to waste time every week talking about the freak of the week and his stupid endzone antics. :twocents:

Amen! Outstanding post.

OT: I can't stand, in all levels of ball, when players excessively celebrate doing their job.

IE- A SS makes an open field tackle. Maybe it was a hard hit, het gets up and dances like he ran the ball back for a TD.

Don't celebrete doing your job.

On the other hand, feel free to celebrate doing something exception.

IE- lineman breaking free of his block, running around the outside, and nailing the opposing QB.

IMO

blockhead83 said:
I haven't heard anyone label Brett Favre classless for his "cutthroat" rendition. But cutting someone's throat isn't as bad as mooning somebody and he was just joking anyways, right? :thud:

Well the reaction to the "cutthroat" thing was overblown new PC crud anyway. That gesture has been used on movie sets and everywhere anything with an engine (motorcycles, cars, planes) has been raced or worked on for decades. All the sudden it became the equivalent of acting like a serial killer.

infantrycak said:
Well the reaction to the "cutthroat" thing was overblown new PC crud anyway. That gesture has been used on movie sets and everywhere anything with an engine (motorcycles, cars, planes) has been raced or worked on for decades. All the sudden it became the equivalent of acting like a serial killer.
Depending on the date, might be because of the Iraqi beheading.

The ENTIRE Shell college recruiting campaign was based on "Waves of Change." They have sense dropped it due to the Tsumani.

Or when the new Arnold movie was post poned after 9/11 cause it dealt with drug lord terrorists.

I guess some times I can see these things, but other times, I think people ove react about stuff.

infantrycak said:

Mooning has a long, storied history as well. People have been mooning one another for centuries! I just don't like how some people are making it into such a degrading, senseless act because Moss was the perpetrator.

If I want to see a man dance, I'll break out reruns of American Bandstand. If I want to see the moon, I'll go outside on a clear night, or watch the thriller video. I just feel that I am in some kind of time warp. Since when did class, deceny, and good sportsmanship go out of style? I feel like the guy on Blast from the Past who was raised in a bomb shelter, then was unleashed in the city. Someone please close the hatch will ya? I'm goin back down! :BananaWav

I think sportmanship, class, and decency are still popular. I like to see Andre Johnson's quiet demeanor as much as I like to see him give an emphatic point towards the goal line after a big play. I see instances of selflessness, sportsmanship, and class in the media about as often as I see stories about people getting in trouble for celebrations. Some people just choose to spend their energy concentrating on the less savory stories.

Randy Moss takes his touchdown catches in the Metrodome and often gives them to a paralyzed kid behind the endzone. Somehow that one didn't cause many sparks, but I find that act to be much kinder than his celebration was degrading.

Back