Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

End of the road for Emmitt?

drewmar74

disgruntled
I know we've had lots of spirited discussion regarding who is the worst sportscaster covering the NFL. One of the names that consistently comes up is Emmitt Smith because as good as this guy was in Big D, he flat out sucks when it comes to making intelligent comments about the game.

I ran across this tidbit on PFT and got a kick out of it:

"....the question in Bristol becomes whether it will be one-and-done for Emmitt Smith, one of the worst high-profile analysts we’ve ever seen and heard.

If the Sunday night/Monday morning SportsCenter ends up being Smith’s swan song, at least he left us laughing.

Emmitt, you see, has come up with another new word. In explaining that the New England offense was shut down against the Giants, Emmitt said, “The Patriots strength got debacled.”

http://beta.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Awesome. Just awesome.

Me, I'm thinking that trumps anything that Rod Woodson has come up with.

I felt bad because as much respect as I have for him, I absolutely can't stand his 'expert' commentary. I've never said anything because I figured I'd be called out as a Dallas-hater and he's a HoF player that should get his chance.

But I wouldn't miss him if this 2nd career doesn't work out.

I felt bad because as much respect as I have for him, I absolutely can't stand his 'expert' commentary. I've never said anything because I figured I'd be called out as a Dallas-hater and he's a HoF player that should get his chance.

And he deserves the respect for what he did on the field. He was great. But if you thought that watching him sputter in a Cardinals uniform was painful, well, this is much worse.

Me, I'm hoping that his career as a commentator gets debacled.

I like Emmitt too but hes no Michael Irvin. I really liked Irvin especially when he would 'get into it' with Ditka. Smith probably deserves another year but he gets kinda nervous on camera especially when he is looking right at it.

As I look back, I have mixed feelings for Emmitt..

First, he was a cowboy, so naturally I hated him... BUT, like my respect for Landry it was earned by the way he conducted himself on and off the field. For that reason, he gained my respect and for his many accomplishments and contributions to the game of football...

With that said, I would rather watch paint dry than try to listen to his analysis... I know he is extremely knowledgable, but he has such difficulty transferring that knowledge from his brain to my ears..

Sorry Emmitt, but just go play golf and enjoy the rest of your life. You put in the work and deserve it... Enjoy.. Ba Bye now..

I like Emmitt too but hes no Michael Irvin. I really liked Irvin especially when he would 'get into it' with Ditka. Smith probably deserves another year but he gets kinda nervous on camera especially when he is looking right at it.

That's funny, because I really disliked Irvin when he was playing, but have enjoyed him as a commentator. The exact opposite of how I have felt about Emmitt!

I think hearing Irvin on Dan Patrick's show the past few years is what did it for me. He was just being himself, and they seemed to have a good relationship based in friendship. There was a lot of good football insight on that show when it was on, too.

On the other end of the spectrum, his former teammate Troy Aikman has to be one of the best in the booth today. I really enjoy his work in the booth.

Eh, I don't think so. I always felt John Madden was overrated. Aikman, IMO, is a tremendous broadcaster.

Madden may not communicate what he is thinking very well, but there is no questioning that he knows exactly what is going on during every play.

On the other end of the spectrum, his former teammate Troy Aikman has to be one of the best in the booth today. I really enjoy his work in the booth.

Troy is a very good analyst and has excellent communications skills to enhance his vast football knowledge. On the otherhand, Emmitt has vast football knowledge, but commentating isn't a talent. I can't blame him for giving the role a try, but I do wonder why the network would offer such a high profile position to someone who has not demonstrated qualifications to perform in that capacity. It seems more that they were trying to find a replacement for Irvin that would minimize questions about why he was dumped, and who would fit that objective better than a fellow Cowboys teammate. Unfortunately, Emmitt will be the butt of jokes for a job he wasn't prepared to succeed.

Unfortunately, Emmitt will be the butt of jokes for a job he wasn't prepared to succeed.

You just hate to see someone make a fool of him or herself. Me, I've done it enough to have empathy, though, and I hope that if they keep him that they plan on working his tail off in the offseason.

Going back to callous, empathy-less humor: How would you like to see Rod Woodson and Emmitt Smith in the same booth? Aye carumba! I think my head would explode.

I like Emmitt too but he's no Michael Irvin. I really liked Irvin especially when he would 'get into it' with Ditka. Smith probably deserves another year but he gets kinda nervous on camera especially when he is looking right at it.

The Sunday Countdown stepped down in overall quality when they hired Emmitt and replaced Irvin with Keyshawn Johnson. They could lose Ditka too and it wouldn't hurt my feelings. I swear, sometimes, the way he speaks, it seems like he "had a couple" just before the show started.

It would be a much better show if they replaced Emmitt with say, Eric Allen, brought Irvin back, and replaced Ditka with Brian Billick. I'm not a big Billick fan (I think he's over-rated as a coach) but at least he can speak in complete sentences.

It's good thing Emmitt might be let go because he always looks like he's on the verge on popping Steve Young square in the mouth. Not that I'd have a problem with that sometimes. Hopefully Keyshawn will be next to go. As much as I dislked Irvin he is a hell of alot better than Johnson.

Respectable guy but even as a Cowboy fan he makes me cringe when speaking about things. I'll give him my love as a player but not on ESPN. I'll do this.... :music:

BTW, when did Tom Jackson become so freaking surly

Madden may not communicate what he is thinking very well, but there is no questioning that he knows exactly what is going on during every play.

LOL, well it's a good thing Madden isn't working in some medium where he'd be required to communicate what he's thinking, huh?

It get's painful to listen to Emmitt at times. Troy, on the other hand, is probably the best NFL analyst out there. Well spoken and extremely knowledgeble about the game.

LOL, well it's a good thing Madden isn't working in some medium where he'd be required to communicate what he's thinking, huh?

He usually gets the message across. You just have to wait a little bit for all the words to come out.

Emmitt works for Roger Staubach in a very successful real estate company....I didn't even know he was on TV but being that he is it's got to be something he just does because he was asked and wanted to. He doesn't need the job.

Emmitt the worst? The class is forgetting about Keyshawn. He is gawdawful and when he and Coach Parcells would get into it, I thought Parcells was going to going to lean across the table and smack him one.

Back