Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Effect of win on season?

How will today's convincing victory impact the rest of the season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
I'd like to think it's a turnaround that solidifies the team, but is it?

Great win, love to beat the oilers.. (hope Bud turned in his grave)

But lets be realistic, Tenn is a bad team. If we can somehow steal
one against Philly then I'd be willing to talk 7-9 or 8-8.

No playoffs this year unless Luck gets folded in half against Pitt

The Texans allowed a rookie to go 27-41 for 299 yds. That rookie also had several catchable passes dropped. This game strengthened my belief that without Foster, the Texans don't have a chance against an average team.

And yes, I'm taking into account the score. Houston just simply can't cover well. The Iggles will drive that point home next week.:roast:

EDIT: Don't even get me started on the OL issues. The Texans TE's suck also. Big part of the pass pro issues.

The Texans allowed a rookie to go 27-41 for 299 yds. That rookie also had several catchable passes dropped. This game strengthened my belief that without Foster, the Texans don't have a chance against an average team.

And yes, I'm taking into account the score. Houston just simply can't cover well. The Iggles will drive that point home next week.:roast:

EDIT: Don't even get me started on the OL issues. The Texans TE's suck also. Big part of the pass pro issues.

You're right.

This game didn't show me anything I didn't already know. Arian Foster can run all over a bad team and carry the Texans to a win? That's common knowledge.

We faced a defense that didn't have any of the bizarre pass deflections go their way and that might not have been able to get them if they had gone their way. These guys aren't very good at all. We played our usual (When Arian is available) half a game of football and beat a bad team.

If Mettenberger had a little more chemistry with his WR's and the Titans WR's actually caught some of the passes they dropped we'd most likely have been fortunate to get out of there with a 30-27 type win.

We'll be lucky to finish the year 8-8. Damn lucky and when we do we'll know nothing about the QB's on our roster other than Fitz, we'll be drafting middle of the pack so the cream of the crop will again be out of our reach, and everybody on this team that actually can do their job at a high level will be one more year older.

Still feels like a wasted season to me (though it was nice to know that we aren't going to finish 3-13. 4-12 is still possible though). Nothing changed.

You're right.

This game didn't show me anything I didn't already know. Arian Foster can run all over a bad team and carry the Texans to a win? That's common knowledge.

We faced a defense that didn't have any of the bizarre pass deflections go their way and that might not have been able to get them if they had gone their way. These guys aren't very good at all. We played our usual (When Arian is available) half a game of football and beat a bad team.

If Mettenberger had a little more chemistry with his WR's and the Titans WR's actually caught some of the passes they dropped we'd most likely have been fortunate to get out of there with a 30-27 type win.

We'll be lucky to finish the year 8-8. Damn lucky and when we do we'll know nothing about the QB's on our roster other than Fitz, we'll be drafting middle of the pack so the cream of the crop will again be out of our reach, and everybody on this team that actually can do their job at a high level will be one more year older.

Still feels like a wasted season to me (though it was nice to know that we aren't going to finish 3-13. 4-12 is still possible though). Nothing changed.
I don't feel like it's a wasted season, regardless of the record, unless I start to see a lot of regression. So far I've seen improvement in all areas except OL. I like the new DB's ( with the possible exception of DJ ) and they seem to be learning the system OK. All I'm looking for is a competitive team and I see Fitz as the primary limiting factor on that.

Next week we go right back to getting our ass beat
Hopefully JDC came out of this game healthy and is ready for more snaps next week. The Texan's only hope is one helluva pass rush and tackling the RB on their way to the QB. If Foley gets the time that Mett's got today, the Texan's secondary is gonna be blow torched all day long.

That leads to Fitz playing from behind, which leads to INT's, which leads to blow outs. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Iggles hang 40+ on the Texans.

Hopefully JDC came out of this game healthy and is ready for more snaps next week. The Texan's only hope is one helluva pass rush and tackling the RB on their way to the QB. If Foley gets the time that Mett's got today, the Texan's secondary is gonna be blow torched all day long.

That leads to Fitz playing from behind, which leads to INT's, which leads to blow outs. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Iggles hang 40+ on the Texans.

I see no possible outcome where we win. None.

We literally have no chance in hell

I'd like to think it's a turnaround that solidifies the team, but is it?

I don't know that there's a turnaround. I never thought this was a 2-14 team. This makes me believe we are that team that will win the games they're supposed to.... which means Tennessee @ home should be a win. Until now, I didn't believe that we would sweep the Jags. I expect it now. So we "should" have seven wins at least.

Philly, Cleveland, @Indy, Cincinnati, Baltimore.... still don't see us winning one of these. In the game, competitive, close... yes. But I couldn't predict a win in any one in particular.

We reached the 80 play milestone for the first time this season.

Only 2 LOS penalties.

Take away 3 or 4 players and we're... :kitten:

Arian is good. (Cost me my 2nd fantasy football loss.) :truck:

I predicted the Texans would get 8 or 9 wins this season, based on having a new coach and a weak schedule. They are on the right track!

Should add to confidence and give coaches some more interest from players to remain focused. It was a must win IMO, not for playoffs but for team and fan morale.

all that yardage and points you think we gave up was in garbage time. I can't believe people are worried about Mettenberger's stat line. We dropped several should have been INTs

So the Steelers beat the Colts, we're half a game back for the division lead.

Most likely won't happen, but it would be nice if we were to beat Philly next week at home, while the Giants handle the Colts in New York, after a bye.

Why would this win need to solidify this team? Solidify what exactly? We're an average team with some strengths and with some weaknesses. We weren't that bad last week and we're not that great just because of a win against one of the worst teams in the league. We're right there in the middle somewhere while the new regime looks for ways to pull out wins in close games. Most games are of ours are going to be close. We lost the last few over bonehead plays. This was their best win to date where they won for most of the game other than the Raiders. It was a good win because they needed it. They got it, and now we roll on for the next opponent. We're 4-4 and that is right on par with where I expected this team to be. I'm okay with it. I like the way this team is playing for the most part. They play hard throughout the entire game and have a lot of enthusiasm.

I don't think it has much of an effect. We beat a bad Tennessee team. If we win two of the next three though we could be in contention for the final wild card spot at the end of the year.

Philly hasn't scored 40 once this season, and they have played the #15, #20, #24, #25 and #27 defenses.

Those same defenses are #16, #31, #5, #27 and #20 in points allowed. In other words, they give up a lot of yards and a lot of points.

Except for Arizona, which is #20 overall and #5 on points allowed. And they beat Philly yesterday. The Texans just happen to be #23 and #8 in those same categories.

The Cards offense is only #23 on total yards, where the Texans are #16. Both teams are around #16 on scoring offenses. There are similarities.

Philly has only beat one team this year with a winning record (Indy) by three points, and lost the two other games (SF and Ari).

Talking common opponents, they let Washington score 34 on them and won by a FG. Their shutout of the Giants who gave the Texans their only stomping this season. Let's call that a wash.

Point being, I think the "high powered" aspect is a bit overrated. They are still 5-2 and could easily put a hurt on the Texans, but they play a lot of close games and have only had one blowout out all season (I'm not counting the Jacksonville game to start the season because everyone blew them out in the first four games of the season).

Most likely won't happen, but it would be nice if we were to beat Philly next week at home, while the Giants handle the Colts in New York, after a bye.

I got this all screwed up... I forgot the Colts beat the Bengals last week while we lost to the Steelers. At 4-4, we're a full game behind the Colts 5-3 after their loss to the Steelers. A game & a half considering the head to head really.

So if we beat the Eagles (most likely not going to happen) & the Colts lose to the Giants (Giants coming off a bye week, playing at home) then we'll be tied at 5-4 each, with them still in the lead because of the head to head.

Great stuff, here and over in the other thread. I was wondering along these lines this morning but wouldn't be able to research it until tonight. You've saved me a lot of time. And I'm beginning to think that Philly at home is a winable game. A win next Sunday and we're back on schedule for a 10 win season and a legitimate shot at the playoffs.
(Edit) This was in response to Sandman.

Just imagine what "could have been" if the Texans had not
pissed down their leg for 3 minutes and just played sound
football the entire game against Pitt.

Would have changed the complexion of the division -- at least
for a couple of weeks.

I can't wait for Sunday against the Eagles. Brian Cushing will likely return and we should finally see Watt, Clowney and Cushing at the same time. That hasn't been the case since the first half against the Redskins back in Week 1. We need to keep our three best defensive players healthy so they can dominate at the same time. I want this defense to be the backbone of a very successful team. I want to see it flourish in the second half of the season and for many years to come. Sort of like the Ravens and Steelers had that awesome reputation and identity of having a "nasty, physical and talented" defense for the past few decades.

At 4-4 we're still in the playoff mix guys. One game back of the 5-3 Colts for first place albeit they own the tiebreaker for now. We need to do something this Houston Texans franchise has never done: Beat the Colts at Indianapolis (0-12 all time). We'll play them at Indy on December 14. A Texans road win against the Colts is all I want for Christmas this year. Get 'er done. That game could be huge if we spark a winning streak coming off the bye week. This Eagles game on Sunday is going to be a battle.

J.J. Watt and Arian Foster have put this team on their backs. Everybody else has to follow their leadership, hard work and dedication. I've been enjoying this 2014 Texans season. Even when we lost those three games in a row they were some competitive games, one score losses, against three really good teams. Now the focus is simply on winning games. Nothing a four or five-game winning streak can't fix moving forward.

I'm so bleeping pumped up, amped up, on an adrenaline high right now. I really want to put some pads on myself and line up at nose tackle for the Houston Texans defense. I'd cause some monstrous havoc every snap out of pure emotions. I would lay it all on the line for Romeo Crennel and his three Super Bowl rings. He's the best defensive coordinator in the game. It's time for the players to step up and get the job done. Follow J.J. Watt and Arian Foster to the promise land.

Effect of win on season? They go 1-0 for the week, stop a 3 game losing streak and are a game out of 1st place. That is all.

I can't wait for Sunday against the Eagles. Brian Cushing will likely return and we should finally see Watt, Clowney and Cushing at the same time. That hasn't been the case since the first half against the Redskins back in Week 1. We need to keep our three best defensive players healthy so they can dominate at the same time. I want this defense to be the backbone of a very successful team.
Cushing against the Eagles' swift RBs (McCoy, Sproles) worries me more than it encourages me.

I would think if we lose to Philly then were looking at 7-9 or 8-8. If we win we still have 3 games left against Tenn and Jacksonville, we could hopefully win 9 or 10 games.

I don't think we will beat Philly though.

Crazy thing is that this team could be 12-4 or 4-12 with its current record.

That said, I think they are a .500 team, so 8-8 is probable, and to be honest, more than I expected this season.

Three wins with Titans and Jags, so just have to figure out of they can win one (or more) vs. Eagles, Colts, Ravens, Bengals, and Browns. Personally, out of these teams, I really want to see them get the monkey of their backs and beat the Colts in Indy.

I don't think we will beat Philly though.

I'm predicting a win, but really have nothing of substance to base that on. It's more wishful thinking. If we beat Philly, then Cleveland after the bye, that puts us at 6-3 with seven games to go.

Again, wishful thinking.

I'm predicting a win, but really have nothing of substance to base that on. It's more wishful thinking. If we beat Philly, then Cleveland after the bye, that puts us at 6-3 with seven games to go.

Again, wishful thinking.

Wow. If we beat those teams, we get to lose one of our current losses?

:kitten:

We'd be 6-4, not 6-3.

Philly is going to be a very, very hard team to beat. We have got to get to Foles or he is going to eat our secondary alive.

I say its about time for the Eagles to leave Houston with a defeat. Wishful thinking, but it sure would be nice.

I didn't really like the game, but what do I know...

about the steelers tho....

The impact of this win is that now BO'B thinks he found the Fitzchise. He will cut all the other QB's on the team and not draft a QB for the baloance of his tenure with the Texans.

We will never see Mallett or Savage take the field.......

Wow. If we beat those teams, we get to lose one of our current losses?

:kitten:

We'd be 6-4, not 6-3.

Philly is going to be a very, very hard team to beat. We have got to get to Foles or he is going to eat our secondary alive.
I think we can win if we force Foles into another multi interception game. Shady McCoy in space against our LBs is something I don't want to see.

This win just continued the trend IMO, beating bad QBs. Our 4 wins this season have come against a subpar RG3, Derek Carr, EJ Manual, and Zach Mettenberger. I still don't feel like we have the defense to stop, or the offense to keep up with good QBs. I'm a bit nervous about the Eagles game, as we are allowing way too many big passing plays (there were several times our DBs were beaten last week, and M'berger missed the throws), and have trouble with pass catching RB's.

The good news is we still have M'berger, Bortles x2, Hoyer, and Dalton still on the schedule.

This win just continued the trend IMO, beating bad QBs. Our 4 wins this season have come against a subpar RG3, Derek Carr, EJ Manual, and Zach Mettenberger. I still don't feel like we have the defense to stop, or the offense to keep up with good QBs. I'm a bit nervous about the Eagles game, as we are allowing way too many big passing plays (there were several times our DBs were beaten last week, and M'berger missed the throws), and have trouble with pass catching RB's.

The good news is we still have M'berger, Bortles x2, Hoyer, and Dalton still on the schedule.

I'd say we've kept up with good offenses, just have given teams with potent offenses free points on ridiculous turnovers/miscues.

I'd say we've kept up with good offenses, just have given teams with potent offenses free points on ridiculous turnovers/miscues.

Lost by 3 to Romo

Lost by 5 to Luck

Lost by 7 to Big Ben

Yep, they have actually fared well against the better QB's they have faced this season except for Eli. And with Eli you never know if you are getting the HOFer or the Journeyman.

Back