Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Edel Sheppard Released

wolf123

Rookie
According to Sports Radio 610AM, Sheppard was released and Derrick Lewis was called up from the Practice Squad

No he is a receiver from the Austin Wranglers an arena league team and he is a speedster, alot like Armstrong was.

Im thinking they dont need Edell anymore with the arrival of Wynn so they're bringing in Lewis because he is the superior WR.

JJ Moses had ONE fumble, and he recovered it IIRC.

Out of all the touches he had, he almost never put the rock on the ground.

Shepherd had about 3 returns and lost the ball with NO contact whatsoever.

Enter David Anderson, a guy who returns the football running forward at a 45-degree angle and doesn't slow down until he's hit...and enter Lewis at WR, and it's easy to see why he was cut.

I like the move.

Never really knew why we decide to let Buchanon go but keep Sheppard. But I guess it makes sense now that they're both gone...

JJ Moses had ONE fumble, and he recovered it IIRC.

Out of all the touches he had, he almost never put the rock on the ground.

Shepherd had about 3 returns and lost the ball with NO contact whatsoever.

Enter David Anderson, a guy who returns the football running forward at a 45-degree angle and doesn't slow down until he's hit...and enter Lewis at WR, and it's easy to see why he was cut.

I like the move.

I wish we would have give Anderson some more chances.

Good Riddions this guy was terrible!! could have costs us more games! :yahoo:

I didn't think he was all that bad. Decent PR. He made a pretty poor showing the last time he suited up and there were other guys that deserved an opportunity.

I'm interested to see what Derrick Lewis can do in the regular season.

Dexter Wynn is going to get the returns. He is able to both return punts and kicks, has experience in that role under tough circumstances for the Eagles. The Eagles blogger at the Fanhouse says he is a serviceable returner.

This is what coach had to say about Dexter Wynn:

(on CB Dexter Wynn returning punts) "Yeah, there's a very good possibility. We were very surprised that he was on the wire yesterday. He's returned punts and kicks in Philly, (and had) some big games. This year he's done a good job for them and with our situation to have one guy that could definitely do both, be solid to do both, it helps our football team in a lot of areas. He looked good today; he just got off the plane and that's a lot to ask. But if he looks good tomorrow there's probably a dang good chance."

(on Wynn being able to play right away) "Yeah. Returns are pretty universal throughout the league, and kick returns. And (special teams coordinator) Joe (Marciano) spent extra time with him all day today while other guys were in the meetings. For our team, if we have a player that could fill that role, it would be just a huge plus for the guys that we suit up and those type of things. He looked like he'll be fine today; we'll see tomorrow."

(on what he likes about Wynn) "We played against him when we played Philly. He didn't return against us that day, but usually when a guy is on a waiver wire something jumps at you. When he was out there, with our return situation, we went out and got all his returns together and we studied them, and Joe knew about him already, so it was interesting how it happened. Maybe we're real lucky right here. We'll see what happens."

I have a few thoughts about the special teams and specifically Dexter Wynn in this FanHouse entry:

Link

Marciano prefers guys who know how to do returns instead of guys who have little experience at it being converted.

JJ Moses got booted from the Texans because of his lack of breakaway speed. Marciano liked him, but said quietly that he kept getting caught from behind.

I think Sheppard was done after fielding a punt on the three yard line and then fumbling on a kickoff return, in the same game. Note he never returned another kick after that. I am encouraged that GK isn't putting up with stupid play, at least for the most part, when he has a choice

Back