Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

DW4 Traded to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
A very interesting matchup analysis of Sunday's upcoming Browns vs Ravens face off.

Ravens vs. Browns: 5 matchups to watch when Baltimore is on defense
glenn erby
November 11, 2023 10:56 am ET

The Ravens and Browns are headed for a heavyweight showdown featuring two of the highest-paid quarterbacks in the NFL and the two best defensive units on the planet.

Cleveland edge rusher Myles Garrett has talked the talk this week, and a significant reason stems from a dominant defense that’s been outstanding outside of a few letdown performances.

The Ravens also have a stout defense and allowed their fewest yards in five years when they held the Seattle Seahawks to 151 yards in a 37-3 victory.

Baltimore leads the league in points allowed (13.8), the lowest number this far into a season since its 2000 Super Bowl-winning defense.

Ravens pass rushers vs. Browns reserve offensive tackles

The Browns will be without both of their starting offensive tackles, as Left tackle Jedrick Wills Jr. joined right tackle Jack Conklin on injured reserve this week. Dawand Jones, who has been starting at right tackle since Conklin went down, has also been ruled out.

James Hudson III will likely step in at one of the tackle spots, and overall, they’ll have to deal with Jadeveon Clowney, Kyle Van Noy, and Odafe Oweh, as Baltimore leads the NFL with 35 sacks, the most in the team’s history through nine games.

Roquan Smith-Patrick Queen vs. Browns rushing attack

According to NexGenStats, Since Smith was acquired in Week 9 of last season, Baltimore has allowed the fewest yards (275.7) and points (14.2) of any team in the NFL.

Smith is one of two defenders this season to total over 85 tackles and produce at least one sack and multiple passes defended.

The Browns rushed for 93 yards on the Ravens in the first matchup, but 40 of those yards came on a Pierre Strong Jr. run in the final 45 seconds of a 28-3 blowout loss.

In four games since the loss to Baltimore, the Browns have averaged 144.5 rushing yards.

Ravens defensive tackles vs. Browns interior OL

Baltimore leads the NFL with 35 sacks, and they’re led by Justin Madubuike, whose 7.5 sacks top all interior defensive linemen this season.

The Ravens defensive front rushes in waves, with thirteen players having recorded a sack this season, and they have seven straight games with multiple sacks — the NFL’s longest active streak.

With Cleveland down three offensive tackles and looking to help on the outside, the Baltimore interior could have an easy day.

Ravens Geno Stone vs. Browns QB Deshaun Watson

Stone has made million this season, going from an afterthough, to the league leader in interceptions. His six picks are not only two more than any other player in the NFL, but they’re more than what 12 teams have totaled this year.

Baltimore has converted Stone’s interceptions into 24 points.

Cleveland quarterback Deshaun Watson missed the Browns first meeting against the Ravens in Week 4 with his shoulder injury, and Sunday will be his first game playing at M&T Bank Stadium as a member of the Browns.

Against the Cardinals in Week 9, Watson completed 19 of 30 passes for 219 yards and two touchdowns.

Watson’s most complete game came in Week 3 against the Titans, in which he completed 27 of 33 passes for 289 yards and two touchdowns. In both games, he threw no interceptions and had over a 100-passer rating.

On Sunday, Watson’s ability to throw deep will be a huge factor on the game and he’ll have to outwit Geno Stone.

Ravens CB Marlon Humphrey vs. Amari Cooper

The Browns are 29th in the NFL in passing yardage at just 184.1 yards per gamem while the Ravens have one of the stingiest passing defenses in the NFL, ranking second, allowing just 170.7 yards a game.

Amari Cooper leads the team with 35 receptions for 617 yards (17.6 avg.) with two touchdowns, and he’s without a doubt the teams top ovearll threat on the roster.

Ravens DB Kyle Hamilton/LB Patrick Queen vs. Browns TE David Njoku

Njoku is second-leading receiver on the Browns’ roster with 32 catches for 319 yards (10.0 avg.) and two touchdowns. He’s an athletic, and physical player at the position, and could draw Kyle Hamilton or Patrick Queen depending on the coverage.

I don’t think Watson will last the whole game.
Watson limped off the field twice. Just before half time, he was taken to the tunnel. He evidently suffered an ankle sprain. He was taped up by the trainers and returned to play the 2nd half. This evening, he is in a boot. He says he'll be back next week.

Browns' Deshaun Watson: Expects to play in Week 11
By RotoWire Staff

1 hr ago•1 min read

00:38 / 01:18

Playing:Week 10 MNF Fantasy Recap: Biggest Fanta...(1:14)

Watson (ankle) is still awaiting results from his MRI on Monday, but he said Tuesday that he expects to play Sunday against the Steelers, Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com reports.

Watson said as long as his ankle isn't broken, torn or hanging by a ligament, he'll be suiting up for the divisional matchup. Per Cabot, the quarterback's injury isn't expected to be that severe, but fantasy managers should still wait for official confirmation from the MRI results. Watson suffered the injury late in the second quarter of last Sunday's narrow win over the Ravens and missed the final offensive snap of the first half but returned for the second half.

giphy.gif

He was never back.

5 of those 6 wins were with DW as the starter.

That D is insanely good, but they're not going to get a lot of help from their offense from here on out.
They’ve got Steelers, Bengals, Rams, Jags, Bears, Broncos, Texans and Jets. Not necessarily in that order.
they could easily get 4 more wins out of that schedule even with the Roughneck Legend PJ Walker at QB

Watson's style of play has caught up with him.

A glenoid (the socket of the shoulder ball and socket joint) fracture occurs when the shoulder dislocates and a fragment of the joint goes with it. A fracture involving the glenoid results in an irregular portion of the joint surface. Unless the joint surface is perfectly aligned after the dislocation is back in joint, the fragments are usually treated by surgery........such is the case here.

1700061754208.png
1700061427564.png

Many of these fractures are associated labral damage and articular cartilage damage. The full extent of Watson's shoulder injury will not be known until surgery. Such fractures are also associated with earlier than usual degenerative osteoarthritis. Expected rehab will usually take ~6 months. But return to pre-injury performance (which many times is not achieved) may take up to 1 year. The Browns are saying that a full recovery is expected. I'm curious as to how they define "full recovery."

Last edited:
What draft pick would we get if browns lose their next 8 games ?

Last year picks 8 through 13 were by teams that won 7 games.

I don’t know if Watson being out will put more “quit” in the team. It may since their RB is out too.

I hope cause I want that higher draft pick.

The Browns are saying that a full recovery is expected. I'm curious as to how they define "full recovery."
They're just being optimistic, giving us coach speak. I'm sure they're not giving us a medical prognosis. They're not doctors.

Say, could this have been a fracture they missed earlier in the season when he originally injured his shoulder? Something Watson could feel, was trying to tell them, but the MRI & X-rays just didn't pick up?

Watson's style of play has caught up with him.

A glenoid (the socket of the shoulder ball and socket joint) fracture occurs when the shoulder dislocates and a fragment of the joint goes with it. A fracture involving the glenoid results in an irregular portion of the joint surface. Unless the joint surface is perfectly aligned after the dislocation is back in joint, the fragments are usually treated by surgery........such is the case here.

View attachment 13043
View attachment 13042

Many of these fractures are associated labral damage and articular cartilage damage. The full extent of Watson's shoulder injury will not be known until surgery. Such fractures are also associated with earlier than usual degenerative osteoarthritis. Expected rehab will usually take ~6 months. But return to pre-injury performance (which many times is not achieved) may take up to 1 year. The Browns are saying that a full recovery is expected. I'm curious as to how they define "full recovery."

As Doc was saying above. I hope he never returns to full form.

They're just being optimistic, giving us coach speak. I'm sure they're not giving us a medical prognosis. They're not doctors.

Say, could this have been a fracture they missed earlier in the season when he originally injured his shoulder? Something Watson could feel, was trying to tell them, but the MRI & X-rays just didn't pick up?
A missed glenoid fracture on MRI is not very likely, but possible. In my opinion, what is more likely is that his rotator cuff injury which stabilizes and tightly maintains the humoral head in the glenoid fossa (see pic in my above post and the pic below) was minimized. There was hesitance to call the rotator cuff injury a tear. With a tear, healing can occur, the involved tendon(s) can heal stretched. This can allow for return to throwing, but because a looser attachment cannot keep the ball in the socket as tightly/reliably.............and a dislocation can more easily occur...............potentially resulting in a glenoid rim fracture (with associated labrum and articular cartilage).........the injury that has occurred. And if a player is brought back sooner than should be, which I believe occurred, the rotator cuff tear can continue to stretch, leaving even less stability to the joint........and thus even greater risk for dislocation.

1700067887974.png

All this goes back to when Watson returned to play in a game with a Wednesday and Thursday limited practice and a full practice on a Friday walkthru practice. Shoulder injuries to especially a QB should always be put through full practice for a full week before allowed to play in a regular game. This is especially important since even during full contact Wednesday practices, QBs are off limits to being hit. For this reason alone, you want your QB out there after maximum rehab.........not minimum rehab.

Whew. We dodged a bullet. Even if Watson had been a total choir boy, he's been shown to be one of those injury prone guys. He's going to be in and out of the lineup the rest of his career. As a rookie, he had the ACL on non-contact in practice and it's just going to continue - a knee here, a foot there, a shoulder over here.

The Browns will never get value from him - either on the contract/financial side, or the bounty given up to the Texans.

This whole thing also impacts the Texans favorably -

* The Christmas Eve game looks more winnable - although it does take the shine off the matchup
* Higher chance of a better Draft pick
* They could also be a direct competitor to a WC spot, and this makes it a bit easier path for the Texans

All this goes back to when Watson returned to play in a game with a Wednesday and Thursday limited practice and a full practice on a Friday walkthru practice. Shoulder injuries to especially a QB should always be put through full practice for a full week before allowed to play in a regular game. This is especially important since even during full contact Wednesday practices, QBs are off limits to being hit. For this reason alone, you want your QB out there after maximum rehab.........not minimum rehab.
He didn't break his neck, but this will do. May misfortune follow him the rest of his life, unless he repents.

So we won't get to boo Watson again when the Browns come to town?
Maybe he can stand on the sidelines so we can hurl insults at him.

So we won't get to boo Watson again when the Browns come to town?
Maybe he can stand on the sidelines so we can hurl insults at him.
From a selfish standpoint, I would have liked to see Watson come into NRG and get outplayed by Stroud. Like an early Christmas present. But as Porky showed, everthing about Watson out for the season is a positive for the Texans.

From a selfish standpoint, I would have liked to see Watson come into NRG and get outplayed by Stroud. Like an early Christmas present. But as Porky showed, everthing about Watson out for the season is a positive for the Texans.
From a more selfish standpoint, I want the Texans to have a better draft pick. I don't think I would have dealt with Watson winning in NRG stadium very well. This takes that scenario out of the equation. Stroud could have outplayed Watson, if the Texans lost it wouldn't have mattered to me.

With or without Watson, the Browns defense (#1 in team defense) and running game (#2 in yards per game) are a potent combo. Stroud outplaying Watson and the Texans losing was very much in the realm of possibility.

With or without Watson, the Browns defense (#1 in team defense) and running game (#2 in yards per game) are a potent combo. Stroud outplaying Watson and the Texans losing was very much in the realm of possibility.
I don't expect the Browns defense to continue on the current pace. With rookie QBs the rest of the way, the defense will begin to checkout. Go in early for offseason surgeries and such. They know there's nothing to play for.

Not to mention the end of the season where the Browns travel to Houston and play on Christmas Eve, only to play the Jets 4 days later (though that could get flexed). Not that worried about the Browns team that shows up at NRG on 12/24/23.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back