Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Drafting Projects?

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Something that just crossed my mind is that if theres one thing the Smithiak draft philosophy could be known for, its their willingness to draft 'project' players (even in the top 10 of round 1 - Amobi).

Now, I'd say, assuming we keep the O-line together this off-season, our only glaring hole is at WR2.

Just imagine if we can get that filled as well in FA, have we then reached a point where we can draft a real project type DT or WR (could do with 2 of 'em imho) in the first and not miss a beat.

Had we not been in need of Amobi to start, who knows how he could have done, and also, apart from that, our first round pick, assuming the points about WR and Oline are addressed in FA, wouldn't have to start unless they were outright better than what we already have.

Cody may not be an All-Pro but he isn't a glaring weakness at the same time, you could stand to upgrade him but his play wasn't bad at all this season gone.

Is it time to look at going back to the project philosophy having gone away from it the past couple of seasons (in the 1st round at least)?

yeah going the sure thing route with JJ, cushing and co really isnt working ;)

suppose you could throw kareem in the non-project list with them and duane and mario in the project list with amobi and its pretty much a wash

wrs are such a bust risk though id be more inclined to go with the surer things like sanu in the 1st and 2nd rds. after that go for the riskier types

yeah going the sure thing route with JJ, cushing and co really isnt working ;)

suppose you could throw kareem in the non-project list with them and duane and mario in the project list with amobi and its pretty much a wash

wrs are such a bust risk though id be more inclined to go with the surer things like sanu in the 1st and 2nd rds. after that go for the riskier types

On the other hand, Duane Brown was considered a "project/reach" and has worked out really well. The TJ Yates "project" also seems to be coming along pretty well...not too many other 5th round rookies have won playoff games.

I think we need to cut a little slack on some of the "projects" not working out, because some have also really worked out well. You are not going to hit on all of the "sure things" either.

If I was in charge I would try and draft one of each at the WR position...a "sure thing" as well as a "project" to try and bring along.

Yeh it is pretty much a wash, and if you add in some of the 2's we've taken as projects, Barwin, Reed & Tate for example, and all the others in the late rounds that are or have started on the team, Kubes seems to do pretty well with 'project' players IF he doesn't feel the need to start them right away. Look at Brown, he split time, on the 'NFL ready' list, Kareem may not be a lost cause after all but looked it because he had to start, same for Amobi (apart from the may not be a lost cause bit lol)

Of course if someone who will start and be great straight away lands in our lap at #26, we're gonna take him, but if its a choice between someone who is ready for it but not going to be great, or you have a great project guy who could sit for a year, and trading down is out of the equation, I say go for it and trust the team to develop on its own.

On the other hand, Duane Brown was considered a "project/reach" and has worked out really well. The TJ Yates "project" also seems to be coming along pretty well...not too many other 5th round rookies have won playoff games.

I think we need to cut a little slack on some of the "projects" not working out, because some have also really worked out well. You are not going to hit on all of the "sure things" either.

If I was in charge I would try and draft one of each at the WR position...a "sure thing" as well as a "project" to try and bring along.

Apparently you've forgotten about the Dorin Dickerson project at WR.
...or the Trindon Holliday project at KR/WR....
...or the James Casey project at TE/H-back...

It's not that we don't do "projects" it's that we don't use "first-day picks" for them.

And A80 has a point. When you get right down to it, all rookies are projects.

...have we then reached a point where we can draft a real project type DT or WR (could do with 2 of 'em imho) in the first and not miss a beat.

I think we (& every team) are always in a position to draft real project type guys. You've got to hit on a late round flyer from time to time to stay competitive. The really good teams are able to take project guys earlier, but I don't think we're there yet.

We need honest to goodness ready to play talent in the first 3-4 rounds to improve our depth.

Once our 6th & 7th rounders are no longer locks to make our team, then maybe.

Back