Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Draft bust Jamarcus Russell attempting a comeback--@ 308 lbs.

Luv_ya_blue

Truth, Love, Faith & Obedience - Christianity 101
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...l-attempting-nfl-comeback-043914730--nfl.html

One of the biggest draft busts in NFL history is trying to re-kindle his football career. Yahoo! Sports has learned that JaMarcus Russell is planning a comeback attempt that he hopes will see him play in the league again. The former No. 1 pick in the 2007 NFL draft has not played a single NFL snap since the 2009 season with the Oakland Raiders.

The reclamation of Russell will follow a tricky road for a quarterback who was always known more for his physical blessings than technique. Russell, 27, who has effectively been out of football since tryouts with the Washington Redskins and Miami Dolphins in 2010, might find overcoming himself his biggest challenge. Currently at 308 pounds, Russell is down from the 320 pounds he weighed this past fall and has been focusing on cardio conditioning the past six weeks to lose the weight.

You have to have done something before you can make a "come back". It also doesn't say what position he'll be going out for, because at 308# I think he would fit nicely on the line! :kitten:

Lol as what, a nose tackle?

Meh. I don't think he's going to do crap, but who knows? Let's see what he can do. If he somehow fixes his weight, and his stupidity... you never know.

He went from 320 lbs to 308 lbs because he is attempting a comeback. lol How the hell does that happen? I've never been over 200 lbs in my life, and I'm just a regular joe. How does a former professional athlete let himself go like that?

He went from 320 lbs to 308 lbs because he is attempting a comeback. lol How the hell does that happen? I've never been over 200 lbs in my life, and I'm just a regular joe. How does a former professional athlete let himself go like that?

He was 6'6" and 268 (iirc) when he was in the league. Not that far of a reach really.

Lol as what, a nose tackle?

Meh. I don't think he's going to do crap, but who knows? Let's see what he can do. If he somehow fixes his weight, and his stupidity... you never know.

That's a whole lot of fixing to do and I don't think he can do it. Russell making a comeback tells me that he's run out of all the guaranteed money that he got from Oakland or close to it and he needs a paycheck. He'll probably hold a demonstration like Terrell Owens and no one will show up.

I suppose he could play tight end at that size. I don't know if he can catch, but he could be a good blocker and occasionally run a trick play where he throws a long bomb to a WR.

Russel_jpg_445x1000_upscale_q85.jpg

i'll root for the kid...just don't think it's likely. Some people take things for granted until they no longer have them. a 308 lb qb though.....:spit:

If you are 320lbs, and working hard on a cardio programme, dedicating all your time to it, and have had access to top level nutritional scientists so know how to manage your diet....Then losing 12lbs over six weeks is not the best effort tbh.

jamarcusrussell062013resize.jpg

It appears JaMarcus Russell is taking this NFL comeback seriously.
As BustedCoverage.com pointed out, the picture above of Russell, posted by @TEST_Football on Twitter, makes the former Raiders quarterback and first overall pick look skinny. Well, maybe not skinny –he's still a really big dude, after all – but in good shape.
The tweet says Russell dropped 51 pounds, and seeing the photo (and knowing what he looked like before), we believe it.
What does this mean for Russell in his comeback attempt? Maybe nothing. It's not like being out of shape was the only thing keeping Russell from being a terrible NFL quarterback. But, it was one of the problems.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...-looks-thin-now-no-really-true-184002089.html

Losing 51 pounds is a good sign that he has maybe matured some and is ready to take his career seriously.

Good for him. I think just about everyone deserves a second chance, and if he is truly reformed and matured, it could be a solid role model for kids without direction entering the league.

I'd rather read a story like this than the Pacman crapola and Hernandez murder.

Good for him. I think just about everyone deserves a second chance, and if he is truly reformed and matured, it could be a solid role model for kids without direction entering the league.

I'd rather read a story like this than the Pacman crapola and Hernandez murder.

To be a QB in the NFL is a one in a million kind of chance to begin with. To me, a second chance is not deserved, it's got to be earned. Kevin Kolb earned a second chance, Jon Kitna earned a second chance. Kurt Warner & Warren Moon earned second chances.

It's up to Jamarcus to prove he deserves a second chance. Not to me... but to some NFL coach. His road is a little harder than a guy like David Carr, or Chad Henne, but he did that to himself.

I do agree it's good to see & I'd rather see this than the wasted lives of guys like Pacman, & the like. But no, Jamarcus doesn't deserve crap.

I understand your perspective, TK, and agree to a certain extent.

Deserve is defined "do something or have or show qualities worthy of (reward or punishment)", so it's a little subjective. I guess 'deserve' for me means that he has reformed his ways and has proven to be worth a coaching staff's time to check him out.

I would never say he deserves to be on an NFL roster, but that he deserves a CHANCE (i.e. possibility of something happening). Big difference.

Back