Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Do we stand a chance against Colts without AJ?

gtexan02

Working?
Andre Johnson is the best player on our football team. Period.

Demeco is great, Robinson is by far our best corner, Schaub is the best QB we've ever had. But Johnson is still our best player.

And he's doubtful for Sunday :(

So do you think we still have a chance against Indy?

Our D has really stepped up. I think we will disrupt Manning most of the day. However, the Colts are the Colts and they are going to score points.

Can we move the ball on them without our best playmaker? Jones and Mathis and Davis really need to step up this week if we are going to play without AJ

Sure we do. Of course it hurts the team but, I think they end up being ok. It will be more difficult but if everyone steps up as a team then we can win.

A chance...yes. Remember this is a team game. I'm sure Kubiak and Co. will devise a plan to balance out AJ being out. Schaub will have to be very Manning like and spread the ball all over the field.

Doubtful. Of course I want to say YES of course, but in all actuality -> the Colts are playing really well, their defense esp. imo.

Schaub has 3 TD's on the season, all to AJ.

The rest of our WR's havn't done a whole lot. They have definitly helped a lot, but as far as i'm concerned...it seems AJ and Schaub were seperated at birth. Those two always seem to find each other. Schaub to AJ is a special thing.

I don't think we can move the chains enough, let alone, score enough without AJ to have a fighting chance against the Colts. I hope he is healthy enough to play, but pray to GOD the coaches don't rush him back...we need AJ for many many more years.

If we can run the ball on Bob Sanders, and Walters/Daniels can make the catches if our run game stalls, we can win. If Jacoby or any of our other WRs step up, that is a huge plus in our favor.

Nothing significant has changed on the Colts offense from last year, so our defense needs to play at the same level of intensity or better than it did the last time.

If I could add one more thing...

Looking at the 4 games following the Colts..we have have a really good chance to win all of them.

This would be such a huge victory for our team if we were to beat the Colts in week 3 and go up 3-0, but having an L isn't the end of the world. Except to us fans who want to prove everyone wrong!

We could be 6-1 with a loss to the Colts going into San Diego. That's not too bad if you ask me.

I think so. Remember the key to beating the Colts is to get the lead and control the clock (running the ball). I would expect to see more of a runniong attack and for Jacoby to put some numbers up. Also, look for Owen to have a good game.

The thing is, why is everyone so high on Jacoby as a Johnson fill in?

He had a great preseason. GREAT. But so far he has been relatively invisible so far except for his one punt return yesterday. He is a rookie from a small school, and I think he's going to take some time to really get comfortable out there. Walters hasn't done enough to give me confidence.

I want and think we do have a chance, but without andre johnson, our offense looks a lot different

imagine what it could mean to the confidence of this football team if Andre Johnson doesn't play and everyone else steps up their game and we DO beat the colts without him? Then next week, AJ comes back and all those other guys are even more pumped.... sky's the limit at that point.

Let's Go Texans.

I think we have a chance, but not a great one. You aren't going to beat the Colts in a shootout, so you have to have long sustained drives that end in touchdowns. Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, and our defense are really going to have to step up.

One scary stat:

Guess how many catches we had yesterday from wide receivers NOT named Andre Johnson?

One.

And how many catches were by TEs, RBs and FBs? 12!

Might want to give both sides before going all doom and gloom, Rich Lord has kinda cornered the market on that.

I think the time is right for a cliche.

It's times like these where you see what your team is made of. It's times like these that role players on good teams step up their game and take up the slack.

Jacoby Jones, Andre Davis, Kevin Walter, it's time to make your statement.

Andre Johnson is probably going to be out a couple of weeks but I'm not going to jump on that and consider it carved in stone until we see him inactive next Sunday. It seems to me like over the past 5 years more and more teams have loaded that injury report up. If AJ's knee is feeling better at the end of the week he just might be available. I understand it's unlikely but in todays NFL I wouldn't rule it out.

I think we stand a fighting chance against them. Obviously, we're going to have a tougher time without AJ than we would with him, but the keys to this game will be focused away from our WR whether AJ is in or not.

We win this game if we establish a solid downhill rushing attack with Green and Dayne. We win this game if our front 7 gets enough pressure to force Manning into hurried throws and shuts down Addai's stretch play. We win if our patchwork defensive backfield has a stellar game and limits Harrison, Wayne, Clark, & Company. Finally, I think we need to be plus two in the turnover department in order to win this game.

Having a long ball deep threat strike capability is nice, but if we get into an offensive laser light show game with them, we'll end up burned. It needs to be ugly. Johnson would certainly make us better, but the critical areas for us to win will not be at WR.

Go Texans

One scary stat:

Guess how many catches we had yesterday from wide receivers NOT named Andre Johnson?

One.

Yeah, but that's not a fair assesment. Johnson caught what, 7 passes yesterday? It's because he was available to use. I'm not knocking the guy, but it's not like we threw it to him 25 times. I think having him on our team is great, but the guys will step up and we will change our game plan accordingly. I have more confidence in the coaching staff than I ever had in the previous regime. Your cashing in your chips before the cards are even dealt. Relax, don't panic. :cool:

I am excited to get to see Jones and Walter get a chance to step it up. The Schaub to Johnson connection has been so good the last two weeks there has been no reason to involve the other receivers. Now they have a chance to show what they have.

The thing is, why is everyone so high on Jacoby as a Johnson fill in?

He had a great preseason. GREAT. But so far he has been relatively invisible so far except for his one punt return yesterday. He is a rookie from a small school, and I think he's going to take some time to really get comfortable out there. Walters hasn't done enough to give me confidence.

I want and think we do have a chance, but without andre johnson, our offense looks a lot different

wth, did you watch the game yesterday? How many times has Schuab thrown to the other recievers? I only saw him throw to Jacoby once yesterday, and it was way out of his reach. The time he did threw it to him, against KC, Jacoby was able to make the play and get some good yardage after the catch. If AJ is out this week, which I hope he isn't, then I am sure Jacoby will have a breakout game with Schaub throwing him more passes.

AJ had 4 receptions for 48 yards in our win against the Colts last year. I think if we can control the clock we can get by with a W, even without AJ. It won't be easy, I don't expect it, but I think it's possible.

If the defense shows up, we win.

Schaub will find other targets. As others have said, we have good recieving backs and tight ends. It's amazing how much improved the OL is (with the same folks as last year) when we have a good QB. It's time for JJ to step up and make a statement.

I'm good for Sunday. :texflag:

Yes we can. We beat them last year with David, for goodness sakes.

I think the team is so pumped up that JJ and Davis will step up big time. With AJ injured, the Colts won't be expecting big things from us - Surprise! I expect JJ to run his little heart out...after catching the ball.

Yeah, but that's not a fair assesment. Johnson caught what, 7 passes yesterday? It's because he was available to use. I'm not knocking the guy, but it's not like we threw it to him 25 times. I think having him on our team is great, but the guys will step up and we will change our game plan accordingly. I have more confidence in the coaching staff than I ever had in the previous regime. Your cashing in your chips before the cards are even dealt. Relax, don't panic. :cool:

Agreed J.

If your best player in a particular position is available, then it would be foolish NOT to use him. We have others, although perhaps not as talented, ready to step up if need be. Like Herv said, time for them to etch their mark in the wall.

:texflag:

I like the notion that this is the time for our other WR's step it up. This is their opportunity to tell the coaches that they are the real deal and need to be involved more in the future. This is critical for them.

I don't want to sound like a hater or a downer b/c I'm far from it. I don't want this to come out across the wrong way or in a way that I'm blaming y'all either. But to me I don't think people are giving AJ enough credit (which is a ridiculous stmt within itself! lol). He is easily the best player on our team (not just offense) and is so vital to our successes.

He makes clutch catch after clutch catch. His prescence is HUGE to get those 1st downs....that quick slant for a gain here and gain there or TD here...etc. Two of those/ game extends our drive another 3 plays at minimum...and makes the LB's take notice...that helps our RB's more.

Owen Daniels can only do so much. The Colts will do exactly what they need to do to win and it will be NO CONTEST. They will stack the box up as if they are playing LT and the chargers where he's done squat these two games. They will do everything they can to shut down our Rushing game early and throughout the game. They will make us beat them by passing the ball and thats not how you beat the colts. They will take away our Running game and make JJ, OD, KW make play after play. I don't doubt we make a few big plays b/c they are attacking Green/Leach/Dayne but they will make us do that on a consistent basis throughout 4 quarters which is a lot to ask for.

Ontop of that (us not having the TOP in our favour b/c our Run game isn't working) their offense will be on the field the same amount as our offense. Our defense would have to have the game of the year (which is possible) for us to have some sort of a chance. Not only do they have to shut down Addai (we're ranked top 5 in rush D? i think) but Harrison and Wayne are the best WR tandem in the league and dunta can only cover one. Our LB's would have to have a day of stopping Addai and covering the short passes at the same time while our DL pass rush the entire time to try and rattle manning.

I hope we can pull this out b/c it will be tough. No matter who's playing for us...if we win this weekend, Houston is going to going nuts! :texflag:

AJ is a monster.

If he's open, then you throw to him.

If he's not open, then you still think twice before NOT throwing to him and some times, you throw to him anyway.

If he's not there... then you start throwing to the other open people and stop looking at AJ to see if he's open.

This is going to be a big test for us. Hopefully, our receivers step up and make the catches.

But we beat the Colts last year by concentrating on the run, ball control, and winning the turnover battle and scoring points off the turnovers. Without AJ, we lose a huge chunk of big play potential. But that's big play potential that we didn't have last year.

We can beat the Colts without AJ. It's just going to be hard. But it's going to be hard even with AJ.

But we beat the Colts last year by concentrating on the run, ball control, and winning the turnover battle and scoring points off the turnovers. Without AJ, we lose a huge chunk of big play potential. But that's big play potential that we didn't have last year.

Good points, and we beat the Colts last year handicapped in our QB position. :)

I feel we are better then the Titans and the Colts almost lost to them, i have confidence we can take them....We did it before, and I want Dayne to do what he did last year against them, have a break out game...

Check out this game cast:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29091&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2006&week=REG16

Texans 27, Colts 24

Andre Johnson had 4 receptions for 48 yards and 0 TDs.

This was after the Texans did operation shutdown of the the passing attack. They were abused by the Patriots, and Carr had his bell rung badly in the Raiders game (not officially because nobody wants to admit concussions) and had no viable backup, so they played dink and dunk and run the ball all day.

Would I like AJ in the game?

Of course.

Does his presence on the field make it more difficult for defenders even if he doesn't catch the ball?

Sure it does.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

I think even with AJ on the field against the Colts our best chance of winning the game is by running the ball. That's how we beat the Colts last year and that's the recipe for winning against them imo. Us running the ball well and stopping their running game should be the key to victory. Ofcourse you can't replace a player like Andre Johnson but it's a chance for guys like Kevin Walter, Jacoby Jones, Owen Daniels, and etc. to step up and have a good game.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29091&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2006&week=REG16

Texans 27, Colts 24

This was after the Texans did operation shutdown of the the passing attack. They were abused by the Patriots, and Carr had his bell rung badly in the Raiders game (not officially because nobody wants to admit concussions) and had no viable backup, so they played dink and dunk and run the ball all day.

Of course.

Does his presence on the field make it more difficult for defenders even if he doesn't catch the ball?

Sure it does.

I believe it was the Japanese that bombed Pearl Harbor.

I think the Texans are playing as a team more so than anytime in the past. They can beat Indy, if everyone plays the way they are capable of. We took them by surprise last year and they will not overlook us this. But I still think we can win.

Texans 27, Colts 24

Of course.

Sure it does.

I know what you mean TC.. I think AJ closes our offense up.. AJ helps keep the teams honest about us running the ball. With or without AJ catching it..It makes a safety take notice, with him out.. we need the others to step up and help keep our offense open

I believe it was the Japanese that bombed Pearl Harbor.

I believe TC was referencing "Animal House" - specifically Belushi's "when the going gets tough" speech.

At any rate, we're gonna keep the ball on the ground most of this game. AJ out will hurt, yes, but we can still win the game. Our RB & TE will tear it up as usual, maybe even more than usual. And JJ will step up and make his mark. This is a team sport - and the Glue Factory is open.

:deadhorse

the main factor for success this week is our running game. We need to run all over them like we did last year to control clock and score points. And we need owen daniels to step up big as well.

The way to beat the Colts is to rattle Manning early. If the D can get in and keep him off stride, and we can continue our ball control offense, we have a good chance even without AJ.

:texflag:

hitchhikers_guide.gif

We stand a chance. We beat Indy with David freakin' Carr last year. I think we can do it again. It's a long shot to ever beat the Colts, but I believe it can happen.

Keys to victory:
Homefield crowd - Loud & Proud!
Dominant defense
Run the ball down their throat
High third down conversion percentage by the offense/Schaub

No question we have a chance, @ more sacks and all kinds of pressure on the QB in Carolina, And we just ran the kitties in the ground, Steve Smith was the only 1 I saw that did not look worn out. We have a hell of a chance and we will take this game. 3 and 0 baby

Maybe this is dumb, but assuming AJ doesn't play, I have two very different ideas:

1) Starting WRs = Jacoby Jones and -----------> Jerome Mathis. The idea here is that speed will keep the safeties back, and we run A LOT with Green. If they don't stay back, BURN THEM.

2) Starting TE = BOTH Daniels and Putzier. More blockers to deal with all those defenders in the box, and it gives Schaub TWO TEs to throw to. I'm showing my stupidity here; but, do we still have Bruener? He would be great on obvious run plays.

We CAN do this. Last year we had AJ, but we didn't have Schaub or Green, and our D keeps getting better. :texflag:

Maybe this is dumb, but assuming AJ doesn't play, I have two very different ideas:

1) Starting WRs = Jacoby Jones and -----------> Jerome Mathis. The idea here is that speed will keep the safeties back, and we run A LOT with Green. If they don't stay back, BURN THEM.

2) Starting TE = BOTH Daniels and Putzier. More blockers to deal with all those defenders in the box, and it gives Schaub TWO TEs to throw to. I'm showing my stupidity here; but, do we still have Bruener? He would be great on obvious run plays.

We CAN do this. Last year we had AJ, but we didn't have Schaub or Green, and our D keeps getting better. :texflag:

Bruener is still with us and still an important part of the offense. He had the flu last week, though.

The chances become very small. We are definately the underdog with AJ. Without our best offensive weapon, it becomes scary. Their defense is playing well.

We have a chance, but I think it's a slim one. If we can run the ball the way we did last year against the Colts and keep a ball control offense, I think it can be done. Walter and Jacoby have to step up their games though. I'd expect Owen Daniels to be thrown to a lot as well.

We are going to need Jones to step up and maybe Ahman Green will have to go to his pro-bowl form. If those two can step up we can win.

Also we should be getting Travis Johnson, and if Amobi plays like he did last week...and Travis continues to show up with Mario...we may see another blowout here at reliant.

Its a lot of ifs though.

IF Jacoby steps up
IF Green returns to probowl form(he has just been good enough as of late)
IF Amobi has two good games in a row

I think we can still win though.

Would love to have AJ for this big game, but defense is the bigger concern this week. I think our offense can still be effective vs. an average colts D.

Back