Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Devin Hester

latim06800

Practice Squad
What is everyone's take on this guy with one of our 3rd round picks? Last year he was a huge dissapointment after going into the season as a heisman candidate....Irregardless he has tremendous upside if he developes...He is a phenomenal athelete that needs to be polished...I think he could be a steal...He reminds me a lot of Nathan Vasher from UT...The same was said for NV if everyone remembers...NV had a great Junior year yet a subpar Senior year...therefore his stock dropped considerably. Last years 8 interceptions proved that this risk by the Bears paid off heavily...Just a thought!!!:drool:

Plus last I checked Devin Hester was a Junior with his big year displayed as a Sophmore...

Not quite sure on this kid. You watch film and you see a good athlete, but he really does not have a position. He may be a WR, but his hands and route running does not match up and would put him as a 5th rounder at best. As a corner he has the speed, not the toughness and reminds me of Phillip Buchanon, not a bad guy, but a good athlete. Look for Hester to do late 3rd or sometime on the second day. He is just not good at any one thing and he has not proven to be servicable at really anything other than returner.

Comparing Hester to Nathan Vasher? At least Nathan Vasher played CB his senior year, and wasn't about to be switched to RB (which is what Coker would have done if Hester came back)

I think this guy is a massive gamble for anyone in round three. But I know he'll go there.

I think he might be worth the gamble...He is a very rare talent...The fact that Coker was prepared to try him out at a multititude of positions should tell you something...His mere presence on the field is worth the risk...

I don't think Hester is a good move for this team.I sure wouldn't take him if we draft Bush...I thing some solid 4 year starters in the system we plan to run is the way to go on this draft...No risky picks

Someone that will stick and can be plugged in while we install the new system..

My thought is this if I am picking at the top of the 5th round and I see Devin Hester, which is not likely, I take him. I can have him gain weight and play RB, I can teach him for 2yrs to play CB/WR. Or I can leave him and pay him a minimum amount of money to be a good return man.

I myself want to go for Championship this year as a Texan:redtowel:

I'm not sure how were going to do it but its not about money and big signing that hurt down the road...I'm looking at that DE in GB,,AS a 43 starter on the right side.TYhats how sreious I am about put a top 15 defense on the field as the least..Kemperman or something,,then will be a serious passrusher away...and we have a few situational passrusher already on the team........WORST TO FIRST!!!!!!!!

If we can't get superstars we need to get stop gap for our new defense.We can always upgrade down the road. Let focus on the base and get it done!I'm well schooled in the 43 defense and know a lot about it..We only have 3 teams keeping us out of the playoffs

Colts
Titans
Jags

You make some very good points Coach C....But the reality is he will not be around during the 5th round...Maybe our 3rds are a reach but maybe our 4th is ideal......

guys... Hester will go in the second round. teams drool over speed like his. hes amazingly explosive, and probably one of the fastest off the line ive ever seen. He will run some ridiculous times at the combine and go in the 2nd as a KR/PR/WR like Mathis except he went to Miami and not Hampton

Hester is a phenomenal athlete but I'd prefer to be concentrating our picks on guys that are skilled at their positions. Sure athleticism can't be taught, but still we need guys that can play football, not just track stars. Hester will likely be similar to Dante Hall or Allen Rossum, phenomenally fast and great return guys, but not skilled enough to see much playing time at CB or WR, and we already have Mathis as our kick returner so I don't see much point in us drafting Hester.

MorKnolle said:
Hester is a phenomenal athlete but I'd prefer to be concentrating our picks on guys that are skilled at their positions. Sure athleticism can't be taught, but still we need guys that can play football, not just track stars. Hester will likely be similar to Dante Hall or Allen Rossum, phenomenally fast and great return guys, but not skilled enough to see much playing time at CB or WR, and we already have Mathis as our kick returner so I don't see much point in us drafting Hester.

Bro,

Daunte Hall is a stud at DB....

latim06800 said:
Bro,

Daunte Hall is a stud at DB....

Dante Hall is the 4th WR for the Kansas City Chiefs as is really only functional as a KR, DeAngelo Hall is a good CB for the Falcons if that's who you are thinking about.

the big difference between daunte hall and rossum vs. hester is hester is like 6'0 and those guys aroung 5'6". they had no future at a position, hester does.

Hester just reminds me of buchanan soooo much. Both look like prototype CBs. Average size, great speed, great agility, great ball skills. But they both went to Miami and were able to get by on athleticism, both return punts. I think Hester may be very good, but he has to have the right coaching.

Hester is pretty much a quicker Mathis. his quickness makes him really good at Punt returns, his top speed and acceleration makes him great at kick returns.

If the Texans are going to take a guy of this caliber (i.e. WR project/PR/speedy player,) I would much rather take a chance on Jeremy Bloom in the 5th-7th round. To take Hester, we'd have to use a 2nd-4th round pick.

Back