Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Deshaun Watson - Out for the Year - Torn ACL

Case had nothing to do with that post .... wasn't even mentioned.

But since you brought him back into the conversation , the question isn't if he would be as good as he is today , but was he better than .... Savage. That answer is a most definite YES.

Which brings us back to the point of the post you quoted - The talent evaluation process by this organization is horrible.

You were replying to a post and defending Speedy around Case being an example of the talent evaluation. Reread the posts and conversation.

And Savage was the third string IR QB when Case got traded. Back then the Texans were trying out Mallett and Hoyer.

Still don’t know why people act like he was this great missed opportunity from 2015. Wouldn’t have worked.

So maybe the piece on Cal wasn't fluff.

Which apparently you like... as tax policy ...until the specific assets are identified.
No. She wrote the Cal piece shortly after she joined the "Texans-friendly" Houston Chronicle. That 2016 piece she wrote about Smith was her first solidly critical/negative Texans article........and her last.

Which apparently you like... as tax policy ...until the specific assets are identified.[/QUOTE]

I've got no problem with the luck of the draw when it comes to the gene pool winners. But lets not pretend Cal's some great leader of men/ has earned anything.

Still don’t know why people act like he was this great missed opportunity from 2015. Wouldn’t have worked.

No one is saying he's a great missed opportunity. Just better than what they have/had. Case had his issues and yes, he was sitting in a deer blind instead of playing football, but even in that 0-8 stretch here, he showed flashes. STILL waiting on Savage to do that.

No one is saying Case saves this organization. I'm just using him as an example of how this organization fails when it comes to putting a contending football team together, and having solid contingencies when SHTF. This particular 2017 season is a bit extreme, but still. What the hell has anyone EVER seen out of Savage to keep him around here for 4 years with the crap they've rolled through here and used instead of him?

That's my point.

No one is saying he's a great missed opportunity. Just better than what they have/had. Case had his issues and yes, he was sitting in a deer blind instead of playing football, but even in that 0-8 stretch here, he showed flashes. STILL waiting on Savage to do that.

No one is saying Case saves this organization. I'm just using him as an example of how this organization fails when it comes to putting a contending football team together, and having solid contingencies when SHTF. This particular 2017 season is a bit extreme, but still. What the hell has anyone EVER seen out of Savage to keep him around here for 4 years with the crap they've rolled through here and used instead of him?

That's my point.

Why aren’t you comparing 2015 Keenum to 2015 Hoyer and Mallett? That’s when Keenum was traded away. Savage was just a project QB for a new HC at that time stashed on the IR. Hoyer and Mallett were the starter/back up. Savage drafted in 2014 and Keenum in 2012.

You could say the same thing about Keenum when he came in for Schaub/Yates. Why wasn’t there a better answer for the team than a 0-8 Keenum? We certainly had a better team compared to now.

SHTF is when you left tackle demands a trade. When your core players such as JJ, Mercilus, and Watson and others (still counting) go down you are far beyond SHTF and the season is just lost.

At this point we are just watching Clowney and Hopkins pad their stats.

You were replying to a post and defending Speedy around Case being an example of the talent evaluation. Reread the posts and conversation.

And Savage was the third string IR QB when Case got traded. Back then the Texans were trying out Mallett and Hoyer.

And you only reinforce my overall point that the talent evaluation process of this franchise is lacking.

Case was the better player then and is the better player now - He may not have become what he is today but that's NOT the point. He was is and always has been a better quarterback than Savage. Which one did the Texans cut ?! The better player - My point was ? Talent evaluation sucks.

Would he be as good on this team as he is in Minny ?! Very unlikely .... it took a special kinda player to make this team look competent. That just speaks to how good Watson is / can be because this offense , outside of DHop and Fuller is a buncha JAG's. Aside from the developmental prospect in Davenport , Mancz and Martin , the rest of those clowns on the OL should never play another snap in the league , XSF , Allen , Breno , Lamm & Clark all need to be off of this roster to begin next season.

I'm not saying Case Keenum woulda been the savior here , what I'm saying is that he was better than Savage , Hoyerable , FitzTragic & Mullet.

Why aren’t you comparing 2015 Keenum to 2015 Hoyer and Mallett? That’s when Keenum was traded away. Savage was just a project QB for a new HC at that time stashed on the IR. Hoyer and Mallett were the starter/back up. Savage drafted in 2014 and Keenum in 2012.

I don't understand what you're arguing there. Hoyer and Mallett were named 1-2 by the evaluators that be, and Keenum was let go in favor of a guy who hit IR before camp ended by those same powers.

And if Savage remained because he was drafted, as opposed to Keenum's UDFA status, then that's another mark against those talent evaluators.

You could say the same thing about Keenum when he came in for Schaub/Yates. Why wasn’t there a better answer for the team than a 0-8 Keenum? We certainly had a better team compared to now.

Keenum was a UDFA 3rd stringer and basically a rookie in that 0-8 stretch. By the time you get to your 3rd QB, the season is pretty much lost anyway, especially with an undrafted guy who has never played. And they lost 7 of those 8 games by a TD or less, FWIW. This is Savage's 4th year and he was the season opening STARTER! Whose career looks brighter right now?

Now you can say it's all about coaching and systems, blah, blah, blah, but if that's the case, then what does it say about the system and coaching in place here? Keenum is thriving, is likely to have a big payday coming up, Savage's career is hanging by a thread. Do you honestly think if Savage was a Viking, they'd be having the same success?

Is it really oversimplifying it to say draft one until you find one?

Get a guy like Kubiak/Jeff Christiansen and they can find you a QB.

yep. Folks like to say it's a gamble, and it is. But, you never win at gambling by watching it on TV. You have to take chances to fail in order for a shot to succeed.

And before folks chime in with Cleveland as an example, give it a break. The Browns have been a train wreck since expansion and have fundamental problems. They have probably wasted the careers of guys with potential by being the worst run franchise in pro sports.

But yeah, the Texans finally took a chance, and look what happened! It paid off. Now let's see them do something with Watson's potential instead of squandering it away like they did with A.J. and probably J.J. They will probably do something stupid like fire O'Brien and keep Smith.

ACL recovery is not a race to see who can come back quickest. Watson is not showing anything that he shouldn't be at this point. People tend to see much more than is there. We will know nothing of substance until we see him in the 2018 regular season, when he begins dodging real bullets.

We will know nothing of substance until we see him in the 2018 regular season, when he begins dodging real bullets.
6e7aeb66b61425d5fe1073bcfb5a27c3.jpg

Deshaun Watson is recovering from his torn ACL and has been spending time at NRG, staying upbeat and getting his rehab done with his teammates. More important than that is he is spending time in the film room and keeping up with weekly game plans since his injury.

Quarterbacks coach Sean Ryan gave some insight on Watson’s work behind the scenes.

"Obviously, the real focus is him physically getting better, but he’s also watching film, breaking down film of opponents that we’re looking at, different defenses, trying to help him identify looks, defensive coverages by looking at the film and going through it that way," Ryan said of Watson. "He has, at times, been in a couple of meetings, here and there, when he can, based on his rehab schedule. He’s still working hard, he’s still involved."

https://scout.com/nfl/texans/Articl...kins-Playing-Well-Down-the-Stretch--112815476

Might as well

And while they're at it might as well send the Seahawks 2019 2nd to them too.

It's the Browns. The entire league could forfeit their picks and the Browns would still manage to draft Manziel out of Canada. To take Sean Ryan? I do not condone cruel and unusual punishment, there's no reason to punish an 0-16 team.

It's the Browns. The entire league could forfeit their picks and the Browns would still manage to draft Manziel out of Canada. To take Sean Ryan? I do not condone cruel and unusual punishment, there's no reason to punish an 0-16 team.

Hugh Jackson

Reactions: JB

Hugh Jackson
I thought it was Hue? ...

Do you really think they will let him choose his groceries?

Nope, I just think working for Hugh is a career killer.

Actually it's Huey but goes by Hue. Link
Huey Jackson has a 1-31 record as head coach of the Browns in two seasons. How is that even possible? Expansion teams don't even perform that poorly over their first two seasons in the league. He probably goes by Hue because that overall record is worth a letter lost in your first name. He'll be named Hu after the 2018 season.

Huey Jackson has a 1-31 record as head coach of the Browns in two seasons. How is that even possible? Expansion teams don't even perform that poorly over their first two seasons in the league. He probably goes by Hue because that overall record is worth a letter lost in your first name. He'll be named Hu after the 2018 season.

The Browns are the perpetual expansion team.

The Browns could have the first 10 draft picks and it wouldn't help them much. They don't know how to build or run a team.

ACL recovery is not a race to see who can come back quickest. Watson is not showing anything that he shouldn't be at this point. People tend to see much more than is there. We will know nothing of substance until we see him in the 2018 regular season, when he begins dodging real bullets.
I, for one, thought Watson's shortcomings would be his downfall. But he has been a pleasant surprise whose occasional interceptions haven't detracted from his overall effort very much. I've bought into Watson's stock and now see him as the future of the franchise.

The Browns could have the first 10 draft picks and it wouldn't help them much. They don't know how to build or run a team.
Well they now have a new GM who may be the ticket to a successful turn around, finally.

This is beginning to remind me of how people used to use Twitter when it first came out................."I am getting out of the car"............."I am opening the door to my house"..............".I am walking into my house".........."I am sitting on my sofa"............."I am turning on my TV".........................

The big difference, of course, is that none of us had 758,000 followers willing to watch us do mundane tasks.

Watson tossing a ball in a weight room already has 156,000+ views in just a few hours. He's marketing a brand to willing consumers.

This is beginning to remind me of how people used to use Twitter when it first came out................."I am getting out of the car"............."I am opening the door to my house"..............".I am walking into my house".........."I am sitting on my sofa"............."I am turning on my TV".........................
This is not how you are supposed to use it? :kitten:

...... "I'm turning on my PC"..... "I won't be tweeting for a couple of minutes while I -check my emails-"..........

The big difference, of course, is that none of us had 758,000 followers willing to watch us do mundane tasks.

Watson tossing a ball in a weight room already has 156,000+ views in just a few hours. He's marketing a brand to willing consumers.

Let's temper the excitement. It was his ACL, not throwing shoulder. He could've been throwing footballs from the hospital bed. Also worth noting: The Texans still haven't addressed the OL, TE or RB positions. I'd like to see the Texans get some answers in those areas of need before I get excited about Watson's return....otherwise, pop goes the weasel!!! At the moment, the Texans don't even have a QB2 much less a much needed QB3 and/or QB4 as the past 4 seasons have dictated.

Last edited:
Also worth noting: Free agency and the draft have yet to occur.

At least Tricky Rick is no longer in charge ....

Maybe we get lucky and the next GM has some common sense , realizes that water is wet and the OL sucks - I Need To Fix It! .... then again , this is Houston and the Texans so many I'm asking for a miracle that isn't coming.

What's their cap situation ?! I haven't been keeping up .... Will they have the $$$ to throw around at premier talent in FA or not?! Not having premium picks in the draft you cant really expect much , maybe a quality OG or TE in rounds 3-4 but the positions like CB and OT will likely be picked bare by the time they get around to picking.

I feel like they have to come out of FA with at least one quality OT and a CB at minimum. Its just too much to ask to find multiple players in the 3rd round and beyond at those premium positions - who start out of the gate as rookies.

What's their cap situation ?! I haven't been keeping up .... Will they have the $$$ to throw around at premier talent in FA or not?!

$57.2 mil before any cuts like Cushing ($7.6 mil savings) Newton ($3.5 mil) Allen ($4.825 mil) Miller ($4.75 mil). Johnathan Joseph would be there most expensive re-sign at $6.5 mil or less. So they are in good shape for free agency.

Let's temper the excitement. It was his MCL, not throwing shoulder. He could've been throwing footballs from the hospital bed. Also worth noting: The Texans still haven't addressed the OL, TE or RB positions. I'd like to see the Texans get some answers in those areas of need before I get excited about Watson's return....otherwise, pop goes the weasel!!! At the moment, the Texans don't even have a QB2 much less a much needed QB3 and/or QB4 as the past 4 seasons have dictated.

I'm sure you meant ACL (still fits in your analogy).:)

Let's temper the excitement. It was his MCL, not throwing shoulder. He could've been throwing footballs from the hospital bed. Also worth noting: The Texans still haven't addressed the OL, TE or RB positions. I'd like to see the Texans get some answers in those areas of need before I get excited about Watson's return....otherwise, pop goes the weasel!!! At the moment, the Texans don't even have a QB2 much less a much needed QB3 and/or QB4 as the past 4 seasons have dictated.

I'm not tempering a damn thing. I'm excited about Watson and finally having a good, playmaking QB in this city.

If the wheels fall off, so be it. But, until then, I'm as excited as a Texans fan as I've ever been since 19-10.

And my comment was about social media, not him throwing the ball. Dude is taking this city over and thousands of fans are excited about it. His social media presence is indicative of that fan excitement.

Sports@texanssports
Replying to @PatDStat

Certainly makes it seem like the scheme functions significantly better with a mobile qb in that case right? Not sure how sustainable that is long term, but it definitely hummed. Again makes me think a backup with similar skill set to Watson makes a lot of sense.

patrick‏Verified account@PatDStat 3m3 minutes ago

It functions with a QB that can hit passes and run when necessary. Watson improving as a passer as those game went on changed things. Browns did figure out he didn't handle the blitz well.

At least Tricky Rick is no longer in charge ....

Maybe we get lucky and the next GM has some common sense , realizes that water is wet and the OL sucks - I Need To Fix It! .... then again , this is Houston and the Texans so many I'm asking for a miracle that isn't coming.

What's their cap situation ?! I haven't been keeping up .... Will they have the $$$ to throw around at premier talent in FA or not?! Not having premium picks in the draft you cant really expect much , maybe a quality OG or TE in rounds 3-4 but the positions like CB and OT will likely be picked bare by the time they get around to picking.

I feel like they have to come out of FA with at least one quality OT and a CB at minimum. Its just too much to ask to find multiple players in the 3rd round and beyond at those premium positions - who start out of the gate as rookies.

Agree about what they need to do in FA.

I could see the new GM trading up for an OT then drafting a OG/TE with the other picks in the 3rd. It's possible they could find upgrades at OG/TE in the 3rd. This class is pretty deep at those positions.

If the Texans could sign q high quality FA CB and get an avg OT then draft a starting OT/OG/TE I would consider that a heck of an offseason. Good enough to catchup with the Jags? Nope, Good enough to catch up with the Tacks? Maybe.

I'm not tempering a damn thing. I'm excited about Watson and finally having a good, playmaking QB in this city.

If the wheels fall off, so be it. But, until then, I'm as excited as a Texans fan as I've ever been since 19-10.

And my comment was about social media, not him throwing the ball. Dude is taking this city over and thousands of fans are excited about it. His social media presence is indicative of that fan excitement.

I like that...look, I'm excited about Watson as well but he'll be coming into next season with both knees having been worked on at some time or another. If I were GM, his health and opportunity for success would be my top priority. If Watson generated that much success (Offensive wise) with last years unit, then imagine what he could accomplish with a better OL, a much better TE and a running game.

The defense, which was poor during his 7 game run can be shored up with 1 solid DB signing and getting a full season out of their injured stars. This damn near was the lone difference between a 6-1 start versus the 3-4 start the team was saddled with.

For a TE , Jimmy Graham from the Sea Chickens is a free agent. That I think would be a solid FA pick up.
I think Nate Solder has to be targeted as a competent, if unspectacular LT who, due to team need and cap situation, is probably worth a hefty overpayment to come in and anchor the line for a couple of years until a premium replacement can be found.

Jimmy Graham I'm in agreement with, Id also love to know if Tyler Eiferts injury problems are behind him as a great TE with realistic market value if healthy.

There's also a couple of good starting CBs out there on the other side of the ball, and we may have enough room to target 3 top FAs this year, and if structured correctly, without too much long term burden if they can draft well over the next few years.

Back