Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Deshaun Watson... are we giving him a pass?

I mean, let's say you buy a Ferrari, a red one of course. Let's say you mod it so it's non-stock fast. Now suppose you put it on the jack and remove the wheels. Do you give that Ferrari a pass or do you scrap it because some idiot took the wheels off? We can't seriously expect a 1 man offense to beat 11 defenders 100% of the time.

Until Watson is surrounded by talented players and coaches we can't answer this. And it's the Texans we're talking about here attempting to surround him with all this talent, so there's that.

In the meantime, it's obvious Watson is much better than your average QB, and the best QB the Texans have ever had. Elite? That's still to be determined.
Totally agree.
And who knows what he could be with a decent team around him.
Think of it this way, if you trade him away, you might end up back on the qb carousel. He is pretty darn good - and those type of qb's are extremely hard to acquire and expensive to boot.
If find a good qb, you gotta count your blessings and build a team around him.

I feel like if you can lead the NFL in passing yards and you're 4% points ahead of Mahomes in accuracy and you're getting sacked 49 times because the O line is horrible and hasn't been addressed in 5 years and you're pound for pound ahead of every playoff contender in every stat except for the stat of W/L then maybe give the guy a pass on the things he can't control. It's that simple. And give him tools and he will be as good as Brady. He's already a better rusher than Brady, so add that stat and Watson comes out on top, he knows how to finish drives. Just being honest, I would do a worse job if I was the quarterback, hahaha, but I'd do a better job at GM. We have made some dumb decisions that affect Watson's ability to single-handedly win NFL games. If DW can stay healthy for the next couple dark seasons and come out on the other side after we recover from our draft/cap deficit we could roll into a Lombardi before it's over.

I mean, let's say you buy a Ferrari, a red one of course. Let's say you mod it so it's non-stock fast. Now suppose you put it on the jack and remove the wheels. Do you give that Ferrari a pass or do you scrap it because some idiot took the wheels off? We can't seriously expect a 1 man offense to beat 11 defenders 100% of the time.
1st round picks out the maz on that offense, but it's a 1 man offense against 11 defenders.

Can't be telling the truth , you have to stick to the narrative .... the OL has no talent at all and Watson does nothing to contribute to their inability to block a toddler in a walker long enough for him to get a pass off.

Well.

A lot of things had to go poorly for the Texans for them to get the kind of season they did out of Deshaun Watson at quarterback yet still finish with four wins on the season. The offensive line fell into that category of things that did not go according to plan.

They were the 30th-ranked run-blocking group in the NFL, and the only real bright spot was Laremy Tunsil at left tackle, who was once again one of the better pass-protecting left tackles in the NFL, earning his second consecutive pass-blocking grade of 85.0 or higher.

The Texans don’t make things easy on their offensive linemen in the passing game with play action, bootlegs or screens, which means that there is a lot of what we call “true pass sets” for players like Tunsil throughout a season, and no player graded better on that subset of plays than he did. It’s a good thing that he is playing well, at least because the number three overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft is heading to Miami as part of the trade that acquired him.

Well.

Their ranking of the Texans, only mentioned 1 player, but they mentioned him about 3 times. I was going to ask this question after the game on Sunday …. did anyone notice that much difference, when they sent in Rod Johnson and Charlie Heck ? Just because we spent 3 - 1sts and a 2nd and a 4th on our 2 tackles, doesn't make them good players !

Their ranking of the Texans, only mentioned 1 player, but they mentioned him about 3 times. I was going to ask this question after the game on Sunday …. did anyone notice that much difference, when they sent in Rod Johnson and Charlie Heck ? Just because we spent 3 - 1sts and a 2nd and a 4th on our 2 tackles, doesn't make them good players !

Like I said before, they could be fine players but not well-coached. LTs are a bit easier to evaluate in isolation but it's hard to evaluate individual linemen since so much of their individual performance depends on the other people playing on the line with them. And how the unit performs as a whole is often as much a reflection of coaching as it is talent. Perhaps even moreso.

Take a look at the Patriots. They have the 4th highest graded O-Line according to PFF with rookie guards drafted in the 6th Round. Does anyone think that's a coincidence?

I remember this clip of Belichik working with protections with Matt Light during that 18-1 season. Belichik was basically rapid testing Light on all these protection schemes and Light was answering everything to Belichik's satisfaction, which prompted Belichik to respond "Good. That's good." It was a fascinating clip. Offensive line play requires more attention to detail than any other part of the game. So it's really no wonder why a detail maniac like Bill Belichik can put together a top-end unit from spare parts.

And I admittedly stopped listening when his argument turned to DW benefitting by Bill O'Brien being a consensus 'very good offensive coach'.. because, ya..

It's telling that other NFL teams aren't lining up to hire BOB as an offensive coordinator. Major college programs aren't lining up to offer him a HC job. It looks like either him or Gase will be the next offensive coordinator under Nick Saban. I wonder how many NFL head coaches have found themselves working as offensive coordinators in college the following season. That's a huge demotion.

Are there any videos discussing how many 1st Round draft picks teams can give up to acquire the services of Jimmy G and Jacoby Brissett?

Not bad.....but I'd hit them a lot harder for the opportunity to get Watson. 2021 RD1- Yes, 2021 RD2 (via SF)- Yes, 2022 RD1- Yes.....but based on what Tunsil cost us, this is peanuts for a QB of Watson's caliber. So, lets add some more.....Cook would be added to the trade and be swapped for WR, Jefferson along with the Vikings 2023 RD1 pick.

Vikings Get:
QB- Watson
WR- Cook

Texans Get:
WR- Jefferson
RD1- 2021
RD2- 2021
RD1- 2022
RD1- 2023

Since Cousins would be on his way to SF to totally screw up their team and Garoppolo would be free to sign elsewhere.....the Texans would sign Garoppolo (on the cheap) to carry the offense for maybe 2 seasons. I'd be all in on the Texans trading up in this upcoming draft to pick QB, Zach Wilson (BYU) and let him carry the clipboard for a full season....rotate the rolls in 2022, then sit down with Gaoppolo and discuss the idea of him remaining with the team as QB2 for 2023 and possibly longer.

I'd never want to trade Watson but damn....this is a business and if a team wanted to make an offer that would be difficult to pass up on, then you got to listen and see how hungry they are while piling on as many picks and personnel. The sky's the limit when the other team's are doing the knocking.

Since Cousins would be on his way to SF to totally screw up their team and Garoppolo would be free to sign elsewhere.....the Texans would sign Garoppolo (on the cheap) to carry the offense for maybe 2 seasons. I'd be all in on the Texans trading up in this upcoming draft to pick QB, Zach Wilson (BYU) and let him carry the clipboard for a full season....rotate the rolls in 2022, then sit down with Gaoppolo and discuss the idea of him remaining with the team as QB2 for 2023 and possibly longer.

Say what you will about Cousins, but the Niners would have been hoisting the Lombardi Trophy last year had he been under center. He would have managed to get a passer rating higher than 2.8 (Jimmy G's rating) in the 4th quarter.

Tunsil is a very good player All Pro type guy.

The reason those guys looked so good is the Titans dont have any pass rushers and their secondary is poor.

Not bad.....but I'd hit them a lot harder for the opportunity to get Watson. 2021 RD1- Yes, 2021 RD2 (via SF)- Yes, 2022 RD1- Yes.....but based on what Tunsil cost us, this is peanuts for a QB of Watson's caliber. So, lets add some more.....Cook would be added to the trade and be swapped for WR, Jefferson along with the Vikings 2023 RD1 pick.

Vikings Get:
QB- Watson
WR- Cook

Texans Get:
WR- Jefferson
RD1- 2021
RD2- 2021
RD1- 2022
RD1- 2023

5c4e1ffca1124.image.jpg

The fact that they were able to win 11 games and the division with that defense says a lot about how good that offense really is.
And its not just Henry .... Tannehill led the league in game winning drives this season with 6.
Funny thing is so did Watson.

Well, not the 11 wins part since the defense gave up the lead in the last seconds & overtime. & that's not even considering the two about to score fumbles.

Our teams are so similar. They had a bucket of luck, we didn't.

Well, not the 11 wins part since the defense gave up the lead in the last seconds & overtime. & that's not even considering the two about to score fumbles.

With even a middling defense we likely would’ve gone 5-1/ 4-2 in the division and Tennessee is sweating out a playoff bid.

Nothing about them scares me...

So did Watson what ? (talking about leading the league in comebacks in 2019 ?)

The narrative is that Tennessee's offense is just Run Henry but that's not the case at all. Tannehill mounted comeback drives , usually without Henry on the field in those situations.

Yeah , they got some breaks , the Texans didn't .... They were snake bit.

With even a middling defense we likely would’ve gone 5-1/ 4-2 in the division and Tennessee is sweating out a playoff bid.

Nothing about them scares me...

Their offense is really good ..... their defense is just as bad as the Texans defense.

You give that offense a middling defense instead of a terrible one and they might be the favorites to win the AFC.

Now I don't think that's an offense that will age well .... Running backs have a short shelf life as it is much less being the type of back that Henry is.
They might have another year or two before Henry and that offense fall off.

Vikings Get:
QB- Watson
WR- Cook

Texans Get:
WR- Jefferson
RD1- 2021
RD2- 2021
RD1- 2022
RD1- 2023

I'd never want to trade Watson but damn....this is a business and if a team wanted to make an offer that would be difficult to pass up on, then you got to listen and see how hungry they are while piling on as many picks and personnel. The sky's the limit when the other team's are doing the knocking.

I'd rather not trade Watson .... I don't like the QB carousel.

Find him a quality RB and fix the interior of this OL and patch the defense with duct tape and bailing wire this offseason and try to outscore people in 2021 ..... fix the defense in the following offseason.

Their offense is really good ..... their defense is just as bad as the Texans defense.

You give that offense a middling defense instead of a terrible one and they might be the favorites to win the AFC.

Now I don't think that's an offense that will age well .... Running backs have a short shelf life as it is much less being the type of back that Henry is.
They might have another year or two before Henry and that offense fall off.

We had them on the ropes twice. We had Indy on the ropes once. A middling defense gets those key stops in at least 2 of those games and we can salt the game away.

Tennessee or Tannehill doesn’t scare me at all.

The narrative is that Tennessee's offense is just Run Henry but that's not the case at all. Tannehill mounted comeback drives , usually without Henry on the field in those situations.

Another reason your Watson bashing gets met with, in your words, hostility, is because of lies like this.

Just looking at the 1st 4 games I looked up that Tannehill had game winning drives, because I stopped when I realized you were full of ****, Henry was not only on the field, he had carries, catches or targets on at least 50% of the plays of every one of those drives, and TDs in 2 of the those 4 Tannehill game winning drives that I looked up.

Do you ever stop and think that when you have to lie/make things up to support your stance, or don't fact check anything you say, that you might be on the wrong side of it? Rhetorical question of course. Already know the answer is no, which is why the bullshit here is so deep.

Last edited:
Yes, Really. Last in the league or 30th in the league depending on whether you go by season total or game average. That plus last place in the division and I think you'll have a hard time showing me where Watson has decent protection. And it's been a problem since before he signed.

Yes, Really. Last in the league or 30th in the league depending on whether you go by season total or game average. That plus last place in the division and I think you'll have a hard time showing me where Watson has decent protection. And it's been a problem since before he signed.

I was speaking of your statement that the O line hasn't been addressed in 5 years.

You lost all and any possible credibility you had or may have had with that one comment

Another reason your Watson bashing gets met with, in your words, hostility, is because of lies like this.

Just looking at the 1st 4 games I looked up that Tannehill had game winning drives, because I stopped when I realized you were full of ****, Henry was not only on the field, he had carries, catches or targets on at least 50% of the plays of every one of those drives, and TDs in 2 of the those 4 Tannehill game winning drives that I looked up.

Do you ever stop and think that when you have to lie/make things up to support your stance, or don't fact check anything you say, that you might be on the wrong side of it? Rhetorical question of course. Already know the answer is no, which is why the bullshit here is so deep.

Where was Henry in both game winning drives against The Houston Watson's ?

On the bench.

Yes , some of those drives he played a part in but when time was very short .... he's not part of that scheme.

The six game winning drives that didn't win the game.

I know, I know how it sounds, but that's the argument I get.

That’s a fair argument on my part. Why are we being sensitive about it? Oh so you can appease Corrosion .

I stand by my stance whether you or whoever thinks it silly or whatever you’re thinking. The defense cost us those games. That’s a darn fact and Watson put us in position to win those games. Like I said he did his job period.

Where was Henry in both game winning drives against The Houston Watson's ?

On the bench.

Yes , some of those drives he played a part in but when time was very short .... he's not part of that scheme.

That’s just simply Not true. I distinctly remember Henry catching a screen pass that went for like 50 yards on the last drive of the 1st game in OT....that set them up in FG range IMMEDIATELY. then he punched it in from like the 5 on a zone read. That’s 2 huge plays he was apart of on that game winning drive bro, not just “some” plays he “played a part in”. He made the biggest plays on that particular drive that won them the game.

Last edited:
That’s just simply Not true. I distinctly remember Henry catching a screen pass that went for like 50 yards on the last drive of the 1st game in OT....

The drive that got them to OT .... Henry was on the bench. When time was short they had their 3rd down back in the game on that drive.

I commented on that when it happened ....

Reactions: JB
The drive that got them to OT .... Henry was on the bench. When time was short they had their 3rd down back in the game on that drive.

Texans vs. Titans - Play-By-Play - October 18, 2020 - ESPN

• (1:50 - 4th) K.Fairbairn kicks 64 yards from HST 35 to TEN 1. K.Raymond to TEN 24 for 23 yards (K.Emanuel).
  • 1st & 10 at TEN 24
    (1:45 - 4th) (Shotgun) R.Tannehill pass incomplete short middle to J.McNichols [C.Omenihu].
  • 2nd & 10 at TEN 24
    (1:41 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Tannehill pass short middle to A.Humphries to TEN 35 for 11 yards (E.Murray).
  • 1st & 10 at TEN 35
    (1:25 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Tannehill pass short left to A.Humphries ran ob at TEN 40 for 5 yards.
  • 2nd & 5 at TEN 40
    (1:21 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Tannehill pass short right to K.Raymond to TEN 46 for 6 yards (V.Hargreaves).
  • 1st & 10 at TEN 46
    (1:04 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Tannehill pass short left to A.Firkser to HST 31 for 23 yards (B.Roby).
  • 1st & 10 at HOU 31
    (0:40 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Tannehill pass short right to A.Firkser to HST 24 for 7 yards (Ju.Reid).

• (0:36 - 4th) Timeout #3 by TEN at 00:36.
  • 2nd & 3 at HOU 24
    (0:36 - 4th) (Shotgun) R.Tannehill pass short middle to A.Humphries to HST 16 for 8 yards (E.Murray, Ju.Reid).

• (0:22 - 4th) Timeout #1 by HST at 00:22.
  • 1st & 10 at HOU 16
    (0:22 - 4th) (Shotgun) R.Tannehill pass short left to J.McNichols to HST 7 for 9 yards (B.Roby, Ju.Reid).
  • 2nd & 1 at HOU 7
    (0:04 - 4th) A.J. Brown Pass From Ryan Tannehill for 7 Yrds S.Gostkowski extra point is GOOD, Center-B.Brinkley,

But your post said “game winning drive” and Henry was FEATURED on that particular drive, not just playing a part.

Same thing in the Ravens game. The game winning drive he was featured and it is a fair assumption to make that while Tannehill can engineer some drives to get them in striking distance if the game is close, their offense goes thru Henry....

Texans vs. Titans - Play-By-Play - October 18, 2020 - ESPN

• (1:50 - 4th) K.Fairbairn kicks 64 yards from HST 35 to TEN 1. K.Raymond to TEN 24 for 23 yards (K.Emanuel).
  • 1st & 10 at TEN 24
    (1:45 - 4th) (Shotgun) R.Tannehill pass incomplete short middle to J.McNichols [C.Omenihu].
  • 2nd & 10 at TEN 24
    (1:41 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Tannehill pass short middle to A.Humphries to TEN 35 for 11 yards (E.Murray).
  • 1st & 10 at TEN 35
    (1:25 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Tannehill pass short left to A.Humphries ran ob at TEN 40 for 5 yards.
  • 2nd & 5 at TEN 40
    (1:21 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Tannehill pass short right to K.Raymond to TEN 46 for 6 yards (V.Hargreaves).
  • 1st & 10 at TEN 46
    (1:04 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Tannehill pass short left to A.Firkser to HST 31 for 23 yards (B.Roby).
  • 1st & 10 at HOU 31
    (0:40 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Tannehill pass short right to A.Firkser to HST 24 for 7 yards (Ju.Reid).

• (0:36 - 4th) Timeout #3 by TEN at 00:36.
  • 2nd & 3 at HOU 24
    (0:36 - 4th) (Shotgun) R.Tannehill pass short middle to A.Humphries to HST 16 for 8 yards (E.Murray, Ju.Reid).

• (0:22 - 4th) Timeout #1 by HST at 00:22.
  • 1st & 10 at HOU 16
    (0:22 - 4th) (Shotgun) R.Tannehill pass short left to J.McNichols to HST 7 for 9 yards (B.Roby, Ju.Reid).
  • 2nd & 1 at HOU 7
    (0:04 - 4th) A.J. Brown Pass From Ryan Tannehill for 7 Yrds S.Gostkowski extra point is GOOD, Center-B.Brinkley,

Game winning drives against the Texans isn't saying much unfortunately. Trubisky and Brandon Allen looked unstoppable against our defense.

Its hard to win with the worst or 2nd worst defense whichever we were. I remember years back Sean Payton and Drew Brees had a terrible defenses and they were going 6-10 or something like that. And that's with a HOF HC and QB.

Deshaun had an interm coach after we fired a horrible one with a horrible defense and we lost most games by score. Let's see what he can do when we have a better team around him

The one that gets me is the Browns. We couldn’t do a dang thing against them

The conditions were horrible, not good for our pass-heavy offense. Passes kept sailing receivers all day, on both sides of the ball. Baker couldn't do anything against our weak defense. And even the week before, David Carr didn't do much in Cleveland. Only threw for 111 yards, luckily he had Josh Jacobs to fall back on.

The drive that got them to OT
Are we talking final drives to win, or are we picking just any randon drive that fits your narrative? Because in the 1st game against Houston, Henry touched the ball 4 times on a 6 play drive to win, including scoring a TD. If you're talking the drive before the last drive, then you didn't bother mentioning the next to last drive last week where Henry had 8 carries for 30 yards on the drive the Titans took a 38-35 lead. But if you consider being down 10-7 and taking the lead 14-10 in the 2nd quarter a "comeback" drive, then yeah, I suppose you can find drives that fit your narrative.

Make up your mind.

Of course there's Watson's "comeback" drive to tie the game with 18 seconds left that you casually glossed over. Damn him for leaving 18 seconds on the clock when he knows what kind of defense he has.

Its hard to win with the worst or 2nd worst defense whichever we were. I remember years back Sean Payton and Drew Brees had a terrible defenses and they were going 6-10 or something like that. And that's with a HOF HC and QB.

Deshaun had an interm coach after we fired a horrible one with a horrible defense and we lost most games by score. Let's see what he can do when we have a better team around him

Excellent point. Three consecutive seasons, the Saints had losing records... and this was with Sean Payton at HC and Drew Brees playing every game. QB is an extremely important position, but you still need to build a good team around him.

Back