Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Dayne a Texan

How many Denver rejects are we gonna take? I say bring back J.Wells(just cut by Indy) He was a true Texan from the beginning.

If I'm not mistaken ... Ron Dayne does'nt turn the ball over . He had 5 fumbles in 638 attempts . Lets see 5yds a crack and does'nt fumble , not bad for nuthin .

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2572250

The Houston Texans filled their need for a veteran tailback on Sunday evening, reaching agreement with six-year veteran Ron Dayne, who was released by the Denver Broncos one day earlier. Financial details of the one-year deal were not yet available, but the contract is likely for the minimum base salary.

Ron Dayne
Running Back
Denver Broncos

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
Rush Yds TD Rec Yds TD
53 270 1 3 17 0

First-year Texans head coach Gary Kubiak was the offensive coordinator in Denver and is thus familiar with Dayne. And since the Texans have installed an offense similar to the Broncos' design, Dayne will not need a learning period before he can contribute.

Before the agreement with Dayne, who is to arrive in Houston on Sunday night, the Texans had just two tailbacks on the roster, rookie Wali Lundy and second-year veteran Vernand Morency, after waiving rookie Chris Taylor earlier in the day. Lundy will start Sunday's season opener and, even with the addition of Dayne, it's likely that Morency will remain the top backup for now.

Houston was forced to place starter Domanick Davis, the leading rusher in franchise history, on injured reserve Saturday because of lingering swelling in his left knee. Davis had missed all but the first few days of training camp and had not appeared in any preseason games.

Dayne, 28, was projected at one point this spring, after the Broncos released Mike Anderson, as the starter in Denver. In camp, however, he quickly fell behind younger tailbacks Mike Bell, Tatum Bell and Cedric Cobbs, got just five carries in preseason play, and was then released when the Broncos reduced their roster to the regular season limit of 53 players.

The former University of Wisconsin star, and Heisman Trophy winner in 1999, was the first-round pick of the New York Giants in the 2000 draft. He started 11 games in his first two seasons with the Giants, and he averaged 730 rushing yards in 2000-2001, but has not rushed for more than 428 yards in a season since then. In 2005, his lone Denver season, Dayne rushed for 270 yards and one touchdown on 53 carries. Over the past three seasons, Dayne has logged only 105 carries and managed just 449 yards.

But the loss of Davis for the season left Houston without a proven back and, in a pinch, Kubiak turned to a player with whom he is familiar.

For his career, Dayne has rushed for 2,337 yards and 17 touchdowns on 638 carries. He also has 21 catches for 151 yards and no touchdowns. Dayne has appeared in 72 games, 14 as a starter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2572250

The Houston Texans filled their need for a veteran tailback on Sunday evening, reaching agreement with six-year veteran Ron Dayne, who was released by the Denver Broncos one day earlier. Financial details of the one-year deal were not yet available, but the contract is likely for the minimum base salary.

Ron Dayne
Running Back
Denver Broncos

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
Rush Yds TD Rec Yds TD
53 270 1 3 17 0

First-year Texans head coach Gary Kubiak was the offensive coordinator in Denver and is thus familiar with Dayne. And since the Texans have installed an offense similar to the Broncos' design, Dayne will not need a learning period before he can contribute.

Before the agreement with Dayne, who is to arrive in Houston on Sunday night, the Texans had just two tailbacks on the roster, rookie Wali Lundy and second-year veteran Vernand Morency, after waiving rookie Chris Taylor earlier in the day. Lundy will start Sunday's season opener and, even with the addition of Dayne, it's likely that Morency will remain the top backup for now.

Houston was forced to place starter Domanick Davis, the leading rusher in franchise history, on injured reserve Saturday because of lingering swelling in his left knee. Davis had missed all but the first few days of training camp and had not appeared in any preseason games.

Dayne, 28, was projected at one point this spring, after the Broncos released Mike Anderson, as the starter in Denver. In camp, however, he quickly fell behind younger tailbacks Mike Bell, Tatum Bell and Cedric Cobbs, got just five carries in preseason play, and was then released when the Broncos reduced their roster to the regular season limit of 53 players.

The former University of Wisconsin star, and Heisman Trophy winner in 1999, was the first-round pick of the New York Giants in the 2000 draft. He started 11 games in his first two seasons with the Giants, and he averaged 730 rushing yards in 2000-2001, but has not rushed for more than 428 yards in a season since then. In 2005, his lone Denver season, Dayne rushed for 270 yards and one touchdown on 53 carries. Over the past three seasons, Dayne has logged only 105 carries and managed just 449 yards.

But the loss of Davis for the season left Houston without a proven back and, in a pinch, Kubiak turned to a player with whom he is familiar.

For his career, Dayne has rushed for 2,337 yards and 17 touchdowns on 638 carries. He also has 21 catches for 151 yards and no touchdowns. Dayne has appeared in 72 games, 14 as a starter.

i say that we give him a shot here before people start shooting him down. I think that it's a good pick. I mean big strong power back who is used to running in a zone-blocking system all the way from College.

i'm rooting for him. imagine Lundy pounding it tiring out the defense and Morency comes and jukes and spins people and then you have to deal with a monster like Dayne.

:fans:

Honoring Earl 34 said:
He had 5 fumbles in 638 attempts.

Well, that settles the "is he better than Stacey Mack?" question.

Given the price and Dayne's familiarity with the system--plus the youth at 1st and 2nd RB--this was a nice little move. I don't think it'll change the course of the season, but I like the addition.

LCROD said:
Look further into the stats; 8 games last year he recorded a carry:

Att Yrds Avg Lng TD
8 44 5.5 13 0
2 3 1.5 3 0
7 98 14.0 55 1
8 26 3.3 10 0
4 7 1.8 2 0
8 22 2.8 6 0
13 64 4.9 16 0

Totals:
53 270 5.1 55 1

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187386/gamelogs/2005

We're happy about one good game? The last time he got 100 yards was the 3rd game of his 2nd year. Take away that one good game vs DAL and we're talking 3.7 ypc.
There is one flaw in your theory.

He DID have that big game. If you take away their best performances many players look average.

Personally, I thought Antowain Smith had better stuff... but hey, they dont pay me to make any decisions!

Go Texans!

Luv_ya_blue said:
You're a little late on the draw there bubba. :cowboy1:

There are already like 4 threads with this "news."

wow. i see one dealing with the rumor that i posted this in...and then the topic i made once we knew it was completely official. bubba.

HeartofHouston said:
I still give him an A for effort tho.. :poker:

you actually made a post just to ride another poster. good stuff. hope he was impressed.

Cruuuuuuuz said:
How many Denver rejects are we gonna take? I say bring back J.Wells(just cut by Indy) He was a true Texan from the beginning.
What is this . . some kind a wierd loyalty thing?

I wonder how much Kubiak & Shanahan are talking behind the scenes.

Do you think Shanahan wants to help Kubiak, or is he officially the enemy now??

LBC_Justin said:
There is one flaw in your theory.

He DID have that big game. If you take away their best performances many players look average.
how about taking away that one 55 yard carry. Personally, I would rather we had kept Taylor or A. Smith.

thunderkyss said:
I wonder how much Kubiak & Shanahan are talking behind the scenes.

Do you think Shanahan wants to help Kubiak, or is he officially the enemy now??

it's probably friendly banter, nothing more. they're professionals.

we'll never know..... but I think RonDayne doing well last year had more to do with Denver letting MikeAnderson go, than Tatum Bell.

Denver(shanahan) likes Bell for his speed, and his vision......... but I don't believe he is comfortable with Bell being an EveryDown back.

Dayne was going to start '06, but they found a gem in MikeBell, and since his name rhymes with Tatum's, they decided to go that way.

Most players who've gone through what RonDayne has gone through, would be has beens by now. Signed to replace Tiki..... then let go....... then Signed in Denver to be a star..... then let go..... I hope he understands he still has an opportunity to prove something in Houston. Chances are really slim that Lundy/Morency will consistently have the games they've had in the preseason. He might be closer than he thought he was to starting.

id rather gone after lee suggs or davenport over dayne. dont really see this as a big move. i hope we dont lose taylor to another team. are we bringing in rogers how about matt ware. we have first dibs on these guys lets bring in some talent that wasnt in denver before

TexanExile said:
Even if we took away Smith's one notable carry?
in a heartbeat...Smith has proven that he can be dependable. What has Dayne proven? That he can have a couple decent games to try and make you forget about all of the subpar games he's had? I'm sorry, my memory goes beyond just a few games. I remember the disappointment of the Ginats while he was there. Everyone thought that he had so much potential, but never showed it. (sound familiar?)

JAXwithanX said:
And what if he absolutely sucks?? Big deal. He was claimed on waivers for God's sake. I don't understand this feeling hopelessness like we just screwed ourselves by signing a guy off waivers. A guy who is familiar with an unorthodox system and still is very much serviceable.

I say we can only hope he provides vet leadership and you flip your wig? I say he sucks, you say he's great. Whoopdie doo, we signed a 3rd string RB who is a 1st round bust. I never said we screwed ourselves, said I did not like him, but would root for him once he became a Texan.

I'm wondering about some of the moves we've made. I'm not sure I like Wand and 'Baire getting cut. Both are big bodies that we may well need during the course of the season. I don't mind at all the RB moves that have been made. All you Carr haters out there should be feeling better about life. If he stinks it up this year, he'll be getting the hook. IMO, Kubes is a VERY no-nonsense kind of guy.He says the right things and plays the "game", but if he feels you aren't performing, you better be nervous. I'm fairly impressed with the turnaround in TJ's performance this preseason. I hope he realizes how fortunate he is to have a job here and keeps that fire lit. All in all, this is going to be a very interesting year. Texans 24 Eagles 17 Texans set team record for sacks in a game(8) and Carr passes for over 300 yds for the 2nd(?) time in his career.

I think the Broncos made a mistake in getting rid of Dayne. Mike Bell is a rookie, Tatum Bell is far from an every down back, especially third down and Cobbs been injured most of his short career. I hope Dayne will make our Mastermind coach he is sorry to let him go!

brncoz1fan said:
I think the Broncos made a mistake in getting rid of Dayne. Mike Bell is a rookie, Tatum Bell is far from an every down back, especially third down and Cobbs been injured most of his short career. I hope Dayne will make our Mastermind coach he is sorry to let him go!

Haha. Would be an ironic little thing if Shanahan gave up on a RB that his former OC saw so much talent in, and he ended up being a real stud. Lets hope he can avoid chronic turf toe.

Marcus said:
What is this . . some kind a wierd loyalty thing?
uh...yeah..it seems Kubes has a strange loyalty to taking all of Denver's rejects. I thought this was a semi-NEW system he was creating....plus i'd rather see Wells or Antowain (a Houston native) over Dayne anyday...
You spelled weird wrong.

Can't stand this move one bit. The guy has done nothing, but make fools of people on the professional level. Hopefully Dayne has become a professional himself since his Wisconsin days where one could spin that his hobbies and weight could have a connection.

In the event we do sign him, since he still will need to pass a physical and whatever other tests they administer, I really hope that it is a one year deal at the minimum salary. Anymore investment on Dayne would give me serious reservations aboout Smith/Kubiak being a better brain trust in player personnel than Casserly.

brncoz1fan said:
Have you heard if you picked up Van Pelt yet from the Broncos? That is the rumor here.

Apparently that's not on the table.

According to this Houston Chronicle article about the Dayne signing, "The Texans considered former Denver backup quarterback Bradlee Van Pelt, but Kubiak decided they couldn't afford the extra of luxury of carry three on the active roster. Quarterback Quinton Porter, an undrafted free agent from Boston College, who preformed [sic] well in the preseason, will be part of the eight-player practice squad."

brncoz1fan said:
Oh GOODNESS!! I feel I may become a Texans fan!! A little bitter about our cuts!

Climb aboard. :gotexans1

You will recognize a few names on our coaching staff and roster.

Still waiting for the Van Pelt signing.

:coffee:

I'm not really high on this acquisition. Of what I've seen (admittedly not a lot, in terms of game tape) Dayne has been very inconsistent on a professional level and I'm not really sure what he brings to the table at this point. I'll happily adopt a wait-and-see attitude but this one has got me scratching my head a bit.

Kaiser Toro said:
Can't stand this move one bit. The guy has done nothing, but make fools of people on the professional level. Hopefully Dayne has become a professional himself since his Wisconsin days where one could spin that his hobbies and weight could have a connection.

In the event we do sign him, since he still will need to pass a physical and whatever other tests they administer, I really hope that it is a one year deal at the minimum salary. Anymore investment on Dayne would give me serious reservations aboout Smith/Kubiak being a better brain trust in player personnel than Casserly.

ESPN is reporting that it is a one year, financial terms not disclosed:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2572250&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

ESPN said:

yeah now we finally have that Heisman Running Back that everyone wanted!

:francis: :bananasplit: :whip: :challenge

seriously though I hope he works out.

Dayne is coming here because he's a better choice for "veteran leadership" in the backfied than Antowain Smith was. Kubiak obviously feels he's an upgrade over Smith and he was never going to hit the season with two rookies and a second year player.

He's not going to start unless he earns it and if he does then we'll all be happy we have him.

If Chris Taylor gets better he might come back from the practice squad (though I don't think this is likely anytime soon) and if Lundy and Morency do what they've been doing then Dayne will see the field to relay a play every now and then. Maybe.

I called it.

I said out of all the options out there, I could see us picking up Dayne due to his familiarity with the Broncos offense...the short yardage ability, etc. I don't necessarily endorse the move, but hey...Kubiak's been working miracles thus far, and as far as I can tell Kubiak could turn water into Shiner Bock if he wanted to.

Plus, with us only having two backs (Lundy and Morency) and dismissing Taylor after Kubiak giving him what we believed to be a nod of approval...it was failry obvious that 1 + 1 = 2.

I know a lot of others called this one, too, so I'm not exactly a psychic or anything. It just feels good to call a shot and hit it right on the head.

I think my record for predictions is now about 2-145. Slowly creeping back up to the Mendoza line...taking those baby steps as Dr. Leo prescribes.

The signing has not happened yet. It will probably happen tomorrow though barring anything unusual.

jerek said:
I'm not really high on this acquisition. Of what I've seen (admittedly not a lot, in terms of game tape) Dayne has been very inconsistent on a professional level and I'm not really sure what he brings to the table at this point. I'll happily adopt a wait-and-see attitude but this one has got me scratching my head a bit.

I am not excited either...BUT, he does give us a power running option in short yardage/goal line situations. And at the very least, when he's in there on short yardage/goal line situations, he can provide us a great playaction pass opportunity. You gotta' stack the line when Dayne's in the backfield, to stop the run, on short yardage/goal line situations...and that adds an element of strategy to our team.

I think Kubiak brought him in for a limited role: Decoy. Secondarily, he can run the ball with more authority than he had proven earlier in his career. Dayne, IMO, was partially a victim of the Denver RB system which produces about 12 RBs each year that they have to whittle down to 2 or 3.

Again, he's not a gamebreaker...but he provides us with a decoy option on the playaction pass, which is a huge element of the Shanahan/Kubiak system where you run bootlegs and playaction a lot. Lots of misdirection.

When you think about it, the great teams kill you with the psychology of misdirection: When Moose, Irvin, Emmitt, Novacek, and Harper lined up...which one gets the ball in short yardage/ goal line situations? Answer: Any dang one of them, and it's because the defense cannot cover all of them and it creates an open man somewhere. Pittsburgh last year had guys who could take a pitch and throw a deep pass to a WR for a long TD. Brady had offensive linemen/d-linemen who doubled as "Eligible receivers" and it gave defenses fits. I'm telling you guys and gals: The element of having a guy like Dayne, even if he's a little one-dimentional, will prove to be worthy of at least a one-year deal.

Just because Denver released the guy doesn't mean he's worthless. They are saturated with RBs.

Ron Dayne was drafted by the NewYork Giants in 2000.

I remember the Giants weren't happy with what they were getting out of TikiBarber. Drafting Dayne was supposed to be their solution. Tiki all of a sudden played pretty well... he earned a reprieve. Tiki kept getting better and better...... Ron Dayne couldn't beat him out.

I don't know if I would hold that against Ron Dayne. I mean....... it's TikiBarber.

Then he goes to Denver, plays behind MikeAnderson, they had just drafted Tatum Bell.....

I don't really see where he's been disappointing. At least he's still in the league.

Imagine if he has a year for us, like the guy who won the Heisman before him in Miami last year??

20051110_095239_Rdayne111105_400.jpg

Good move.

:muscles:

BroussardSaint said:
I thought i saw where all y'all thought A Smith was the perfect back up?

Stop taking shots at our backup players when your own team looks like something out of a bloopers reel.

BroussardSaint said:
I thought i saw where all y'all thought A Smith was the perfect back up?

I was in awe of the Super Bowl rings on his fingers. The same rings Reggie Bush will never have. :chicken:

IF the signing is for the verteran minimum then its a good deal, he is better then Smith. And hopefully Taylor will make it to the practice squad.

BroussardSaint said:
A .Smith wasn't a good enough backup??

Apparently our head coach spent the entire preseason watching him and came to the conclusion that he was not. He then watched his former team to see who was let go. That player was Ron Dayne and, since Kubiak was obviously very familiar with Ron Dayne he decided to pursue him. It seems clear that in Gary Kubiaks opinion Ron Dayne is an upgrade to Antowain Smith.

Let me know if you need anything else cleared up or spelled out. I'm happy to help.

Back