Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

David Culley Fired After One Season!

Been gone for a while because I was just apathetic about my team.
Still have serious concerns that this team is so obsessed with trying to recreate the patriot way that they can’t think outside of what Brady and Belichick accomplished but believe somehow they can re-do it.

Anyway firing Culley has given me renewed hope. I don’t feel bad for Culley at all. Caserio forced Tim Kelly on him so Culley essentially allowed himself to be neutered at the door when we agreed to the job and not being allowed to pick his own OC. He was only hired because every other self respecting candidate turned the job down. If he couldn’t see that for what it was then I would love to be his financial advisor.

what I don’t want is to hire another inexperienced HC. I don’t want to see another position assistant coach. Jarod Mayo would be Culley 2.0

Please hire someone competent.

excited about the upcoming draft too not just because we have picks for the first time in forever but because Caserio seems to have found good players in his first draft.

in closing - if you don’t fire Jack Osteensterby at least keep his cheesy pasty ass away from personnel decisions and make him chief executive of landscaping operations.

Does Culley get the second year if Flores wasn't fired?
That was my first immediate thought. But it seems, and for whatever unexplained reason, Culley took a firm stand that TK was to return as his OC and nothing was to change offensively. This seems to be contrary to Caserio's expectations, setting up the difference in philosophy Caserio mentioned in his press interview. It seems a bit strange that Culley would take such a stong position that would inevitably lead to his dismissal. So what all was going on behind the scenes, we'll likely never know.

Bingo! WINNER! WINNER! WINNER! Chicken Dinner! If you're a poor fiduciary making irresponsible fiscal decisions, then your common sense, logic and deductive reasoning probably suffer a same similar poor decision-making ability. Caserio first year decisions confirm this. Culley is just another confirmation. Thanks for making and explaining this point so much better than I have.

Yeah that would be like hiring a coach at an estimated 9 million a year on a 5 year deal then firing him 13 games in after several national scandals. I mean how stupid would you have to be to do that right?

Yeah that would be like hiring a coach at an estimated 9 million a year on a 5 year deal then firing him 13 games in after several national scandals. I mean how stupid would you have to be to do that right?
The difference and the exception here is the Jags did not have to pay the full contract because he was fired for cause. You need to let that anger and hostilities go. It's not healthy. I'm living rent free in a Kool Aid Brigade mind.

Actually, it is pretty damn smart, recognizing your mistake, firing the mistake and getting it out of the building, rickytic, ASAP. Instead of letting a same mistake hang for 7 long years torturing the franchise and the fan base. Now that is pretty damn stupid.

Last edited:
FWIW, McClain said on 610 this afternoon that Culley got $22 million for one year's work. Culley seemed pretty civil in his farewell statement, so I'm inclined to believe he didn't get stiffed.
I heard McClain say he’s never seen a coach’s contract & he doesn’t believe anyone else have either. He said they’re all treated as top secret.

When a team would ask the league for salary info they answer with statistical data. Like average salary, top ten, top five etc…

but details are not provided. So McClain concluded if teams can’t get this kind of information he doesn’t know how reporters do.

Great commentary by a guy with admittedly no first hand knowledge and likely 4 hours to kill talking m-f.

Did he address game decisions?

This offense was remarkably bad and DC did nothing to fix it.

Did he or anyone else confuse Culley for Lombardi?

His opinions on Caserio where totally off base imo.

Not surprising, considering the garbage personnel Casserio gave him to work with.

I can't help but feel for Culley - yeah he is inexperienced as a HC, but he was hobbled by a team in rebuild mode with a below average pass rush, a rookie QB and a poor rushing attack.
I hope Caserio address these areas for the next candidate otherwise he may not fare much better - Mills should be better for the experience but those other areas definitely need addressing.

I wonder if the Texans ownership now regrets firing Culley, they certainly should, because after the incredibly inept performance by the lily-white Urban Meyer in Jacksonville vs. Culleys comparatively stellar rookie year in Houston the Texans would now be a shining example for the whole league for hiring minorities had Culley been extended for atleast another year especially in the wake of the Flores law suit.

This is what I would've done. But I think Culley's wanting Kelly as OC lead to his firing.

Last edited:
This is what I would've done. But I think Culley's wanting Kelly as OC lead to his firing.
Still find that hard to believe.

I know what was said, but it doesn't make sense.

I would think Culley either wanted Pep promoted to OC or he wanted to bring in a friend like all other HCs do & the Texans were stuck on McCown for OC.

If they bring in McCown as OC, I’m going to be more confident in my take.

Still find that hard to believe.

I know what was said, but it doesn't make sense.

I would think Culley either wanted Pep promoted to OC or he wanted to bring in a friend like all other HCs do & the Texans were stuck on McCown for OC.

If they bring in McCown as OC, I’m going to be more confident in my take.

I tend to take people at their word until I have a reason not too and not read things into situations.

Like I said. You take people at their word when you want to

I think these are 2 totally different situations.

Also there's a difference between an owner telling his season ticket holders something and a HC saying something. If an owner lies to his fanbase he will lose business. A HC not so much and you know this. But hey, you won this debate. Congrats.

I think these are 2 totally different situations
In both situations a man said why he did what he did.

you believe one man, not the other

but you say you tend to take people at their word

to the rest of the board, especially those I have deleted posts that were about the poster, I’m sorry for breaking that same rule

In both situations a man said why he did what he did.

you believe one man, not the other

but you say you tend to take people at their word

to the rest of the board, especially those I have deleted posts that were about the poster, I’m sorry for breaking that same rule

Until I have a reason not to believe them. BOB_s actions, like benching OS tells me OS wasn't BOB's guy.

Getting back on track, if McCown is the next HC then Calhoun lied.

This didn't shock me when Flores was dumped. It looked like it was the first step of getting him here. Also, Culley himself thanked the team but said he was not a good match for the Texans...interesting

I was just thinking about this today. The thought crossed my mind that Culley might have held the press conference before speaking to Caserio. After he said he was going to keep his entire staff together in the press conference, maybe he met with Caserio, and Nick told him they would be firing TK. Since Culley had just made the commitment to TK, maybe he didn't want to be called a liar by firing him, so he refused to go along. If that's what happened, it would make me have more respect for Culley, even though he made a poor decision.

I was just thinking about this today. The thought crossed my mind that Culley might have held the press conference before speaking to Caserio. After he said he was going to keep his entire staff together in the press conference, maybe he met with Caserio, and Nick told him they would be firing TK. Since Culley had just made the commitment to TK, maybe he didn't want to be called a liar by firing him, so he refused to go along. If that's what happened, it would make me have more respect for Culley, even though he made a poor decision.

This is what I believe exactly happened. The public comments leads to this perfectly.

I think they had the conversation before the press conference.

Any head coach would want to hire their own OC, but Caserio seems to be picky about who he approves. Left him a choice Kelly, Pep, or McCown. Thinking surely he wouldn't pick Kelly.

Culley picked Kelly. If he couldn't bring in who he wants, he wasn't going to promote who Caserio wants.

I know it's counter culture, but I agree with Caserio. Not that the GM should pick the assistants & coordinators, but that the HC & GM have to be on the same page about the process.

This year, with the one year player contracts was as much about evaluating the coaches as it was evaluating the players.

I think it odd that either side would draw such a hard line that would result in Culley getting fired.

Culley mentioned Lovie as a DC he would reach out to, Caserio interviewed him. Brought him in. Watson said he liked Kelly, Caserio interviewed him, Brought him in. Jack says he liked McCown, Caserio interviewed him, brought him in.

Why wouldn't Caserio be open to whoever Culley wanted? Why would Caserio be closed to one of Gannon's prospective coordinator?

Wouldn’t be the first poor decision he made, but I’m not buying any of that, simply because you’ll never make me believe Culley was brought here to be a real HC.

Sure, we’ll try to surround you with some guys of your choosing, as long as they aren’t likely difference makers, but you’re not really putting your own staff together because you’re not going to be here for very long.

Now, I wouldn’t put it past Caserio to ask him who he wanted to keep or add or whatever, when the season ended, so he could then claim “philosophical differences” when he fired him, but I think he was fired because they thought they had their guy, most likely Flores, until somebody came flying out of the Jack cave with McCown in tow. “I think he’s ready, Nick. This is gonna be so cool.” Nick’s like, “Wait, what?” and they have been butting heads ever since. Hopefully. And Nick’s been spending all of this time trying to convince Cal that he’s the football man his dad wanted, let him do his football man’s job.

Culley may've orchestrated his own demise and firing. Culley may have wanted out. He just couldn't deal with the lunacy and the bizarre world of the Kirby Circus, and the dumpster fire out back. Knowing exactly what would cause the micromanagers to go bat $hit crazy and expedite his firing, he quickly put the plan in to action with his press conference. Culley was well aware of his $22MM golden parachute so he said it is time to say adios. Today Culley is in a hammock on a beach in the Turks and Caicos watching the Kirby Circus from afar while sipping on his pina colada.

Last edited:
Culley may've orchestrated his own demise and firing. Culley may have wanted out. He just couldn't deal with the lunacy and the bizarre world of the Kirby Circus, and the dumpster fire out back. Knowing exactly what would cause the micromanagers to go bat $hit crazy and expedite his firing, he quickly put the plan in action in his press conference. Culley was well aware of his $22MM golden parachute so he said it is time to say adios. Today Culley is in a hammock on a beach in the Turks and Caicos watching the Kirby Circus from afar while sipping on his pina colada.
Pina colada? Culley doesn’t come off as a guy that is into women drinks. He seems like a whiskey type of guy.

Back