Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

David Carr: 'I would have rather watched' from bench

Wolf

100% Texan
before the firestorm hits(and I hope one opens their mind and reads the article first )before it becomes a bashing thread ,

I never understood why Capers didn't put Tony Banks in.. just to let the offense run with a veteran QB .. put SOMETHING on game film. I am not saying things would have been different ,but interesting piece IMO

but what is done, is done

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- David Carr has been where Mark Sanchez and Matthew Stafford are -- sort of. He knows what it feels like to be a high draft pick with huge expectations who's named a starting quarterback in the NFL right out of college. A 16-game starter on the 2002 expansion Houston Texans, Carr got to experience first-hand what Sanchez and Stafford will start experiencing for real this weekend. And it's not that he's trying to scare anybody, but ...

"If I had it to do all over again, I think I would have rather watched," Carr, now the Giants' backup QB, told FanHouse on Monday. "There were just so many bad habits I picked up that, if I'd seen another guy doing it, I don't think I would have."
n Houston, it was tough, being an expansion team. There just weren't a lot of guys who weren't coaches that you could lean on," Carr said. "You just used the guys around you, but they didn't know any more than you did."

Carr was coming out of college, where he and his Fresno State teams were dominant enough to make him the No. 1 overall pick in that 2002 draft. In college, Carr said, they practiced a couple of hours a day and then watched film for two or three hours.

"We thought that was a lot," Carr said.

In the NFL, it's not. And his rookie year, there was nobody around to tell him otherwise. So he basically just did the same things he did in college. Once he got on the field, it became clear quickly that it wasn't going to be good enough.

"The first NFL game I ever saw, I played in," Carr said. "There were so many things I wasn't prepared for. Just realizing how teams tried to attack you -- that's new. In college, we ran the same plays every week and the defenses basically did the same things. Here ... it's not like that."
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/07/david-carrs-words-of-wisdom-for-matt-stafford-mark-sanchez/

I thought from the beginning that HWWNBN should have learned the NFL a little more. It was almost a crime to put him on the field with that offensive line we had as his first NFL experience. But like you said, I don't know if it would have helped him or the team out in the long run.

Interesting Wolf. If what hes saying is 100% accurate, it was worse than I thought as far as the first coaching regime goes. Watching the team those first couple of years, I several times wondered if the coaches were even paying attention.

"The first NFL game I ever saw, I played in,"

That quote made me say.....WTF? I'm wondering if he means live, or on TV?

No matter what the guy flat out did not/does not have the drive to be a quality NFL QB. It stood out to me how he didn't realize how much time would have to be spent on the field and watching tape. He thought he could just waltz into the NFL and treat it like college. He was wrong. God and family are important, but so was his job as an NFL player.

I don't know if you guys remember, but the Texans staff fully intended to have Carr sit and watch for at least a year. They worked really hard to bring in a veteran, but no one wanted the job. All of the available free agent QB's of any merit perceived this job as pinata duty, and the Texans staff was ultimately unable to sign a QB that they though would be a better option than starting the rookie David Carr. That was less a testimony to David Carr's greatness than it was to a lack of job applicants for the starting QB position of a first year expansion franchise.

"The first NFL game I ever saw, I played in," Carr said. "There were so many things I wasn't prepared for. Just realizing how teams tried to attack you -- that's new. In college, we ran the same plays every week and the defenses basically did the same things. Here ... it's not like that."
pretty telling statement....dude doesn't have a lot going on upstairs.

David Carr is full of **** and I'm sick of seeing him blame everyone else but himself. I used to defend the guy, but he's shown his true colors. He can suck **** through a straw.

agreed. dude has no accountability. he is making excuses even to this day. he had trent dilfer as a mentor and for him to say the 'first NFL game I saw, I played in' is the biggest load of BS I have ever heard....

...whatever helps him sleep at night..im sure that blanket of money doesn't hurt.

i would watch the 's' bombs though...

David Carr is full of **** and I'm sick of seeing him blame everyone else but himself. I used to defend the guy, but he's shown his true colors. He can suck **** through a straw.

Some people take the bull by the horns, and some shrink away and watch from the sideline. I think we know where DCarr falls.

We have about 4 rookie/second year QBs that aren't lamenting having to start for their teams. They're going out there and learning on the job. And I bet the guys that succeed are staying late and watching tape and absorbing everything their coaches tell them. Not every rook QB comes into the league and plays under ideal circumstances. But not every rook QB has a missing set of balls, like DCarr.

What a waste of our first couple of years in this league as a team. Guy is not a gamer. He needs to be coddled. Well, he has plenty of time with the Giants to sit on the bench and suck from his bottle.

Some people take the bull by the horns, and some shrink away and watch from the sideline. I think we know where DCarr falls.

We have about 4 rookie/second year QBs that aren't lamenting having to start for their teams. They're going out there and learning on the job. And I bet the guys that succeed are staying late and watching tape and absorbing everything their coaches tell them. Not every rook QB comes into the league and plays under ideal circumstances. But not every rook QB has a missing set of balls, like DCarr.

What a waste of our first couple of years in this league as a team. Guy is not a gamer. He needs to be coddled. Well, he has plenty of time with the Giants to sit on the bench and suck from his bottle.
The most pathetic part is when Carr's option was up, the Texans not only re-upped him but they exercised the longer option. Management should have had known what they had by year 3 and taken the out they built into the contract. For some reason, after 3 years they couldn't see this guy was not a leader nor could he impose his will on any team. It took the Panthers half a season before they signed 700 year old Vinny Testaverde to play instead of David milquetoast Carr.

Gotta say ... I pegged him wrong for a looong time. :crying:

Now that I live in Ohio and am stuck with the Browns and the Bengals (we live in Columbus and I refuse to put out for DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket) ... it's sorta like Houston all over again, minus the feeling of a hometown team I've followed for a long time.

Two perpetually underachieving teams that should be better but just can't get past themselves and their management.

The most pathetic part is when Carr's option was up, the Texans not only re-upped him but they exercised the longer option. Management should have had known what they had by year 3 and taken the out they built into the contract. For some reason, after 3 years they couldn't see this guy was not a leader nor could he impose his will on any team. It took the Panthers half a season before they signed 700 year old Vinny Testaverde to play instead of David milquetoast Carr.

It's kinda like house shopping and entering a house where they cooked something that stinks . That house still smells long after their gone and you'll have to deal with it . That whole episode is still haunting this team and I guess there's not enough Killz to mask it .

Gotta say ... I pegged him wrong for a looong time. :crying:

Now that I live in Ohio and am stuck with the Browns and the Bengals (I refused to put out for DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket) ... it's sorta like Houston all over again, minus the feeling of a hometown team I've followed for a long time (we live in Columbus.)

Two perpetually underachieving teams that should be better but just can't get past themselves and their management.
that's an understatement....you had a posse of people giving guys like me a hard time and giving neg rep to all the people who thought DC was no better than Rob Johnson...but I forgive. :heart:

that's an understatement....you had a posse of people giving guys like me a hard time and giving neg rep to all the people who thought DC was no better than Rob Johnson...but I forgive. :heart:

Did I really give you negative rep for it? LOL if so I owe you a big one. Seriously though ... I really thought he could do it ... for the longest time ... until optimism gave way to the realization I was just hanging onto ugly denial. This was sometime last week ... j/k but it was waaay past due.

Understatement though it may be ... at least I didn't call Mario Williams a "workout warrior" :thisbig:

:)

Excellent point. A lot of people get jobs or opportunities that are above what they have done, and maybe a little in over their heads.

But, by going for it and figuring it out for themselves without someone telling them how to do things is key to a lot of people succeeding. David Carr doesn't have this.

This article clearly confirms what was obvious by year 4 of his career, and that was his heart was not with being a starting and successful QB in the NFL. That doesn't make Carr a bad person, but he took a lot of money from McNair on the belief that he was that kind of person.

Which brings me to...

How could there be that much disconnect between McNair and his franchise QB?

And that answer brings us to...
Vinny said:

Another excellent point.

My concern is that McNair is still evaluating all talent (front office, coaching, and players) either in the same manner as he did with David Carr, or not figuring the right way to evaluate talent.

The David Carr problem is really a systemic issue to the entire Texans organization that stills needs to be addressed and fixed. And it starts with Bob McNair.

Excellent point. A lot of people get jobs or opportunities that are above what they have done, and maybe a little in over their heads.

But, by going for it and figuring it out for themselves without someone telling them how to do things is key to a lot of people succeeding. David Carr doesn't have this.

This article clearly confirms what was obvious by year 4 of his career, and that was his heart was not with being a starting and successful QB in the NFL. That doesn't make Carr a bad person, but he took a lot of money from McNair on the belief that he was that kind of person.

Which brings me to...

How could there be that much disconnect between McNair and his franchise QB?

And that answer brings us to...

Another excellent point.

My concern is that McNair is still evaluating all talent (front office, coaching, and players) either in the same manner as he did with David Carr, or not figuring the right way to evaluate talent.

The David Carr problem is really a systemic issue to the entire Texans organization that stills needs to be addressed and fixed. And it starts with Bob McNair.

I don't think he evaluates talent , I think like Thomas Jefferson , McNair got to close to the help . I think he does have a mental picture of what a Texan should look and act like .

I don't think he evaluates talent , I think like Thomas Jefferson , McNair got to close to the help .

What does this have to do with anything?

I think he does have a mental picture of what a Texan should look and act like .
And that look and act has nothing to do with putting together a winning football team in the NFL. Which indirectly impacts the evaluation of talent in adverse ways.

And that look and act has nothing to do with putting together a winning football team in the NFL. Which indirectly impacts the evaluation of talent in adverse ways.

Right ... he's Jerry Jones's well behaved brother .

Oh good Lord ... do you not understand Jefferson and Sally or that Bob really wanted Carr to succeed and bought into it's everyone else but Dave .

My bad on the S-bombs. There are few things in the world that will make me resort to cussing on a message board. David Carr is one of them. Mainly because - I defended the guy, and then he made me regret it by being a whiny, unaccountable, mitten-rocking, flat iron-using, prissy little prick. Effing piece of S-bomb.

David Carr: 'I would have rather watched' from bench

Kbourda: "I would have rather the Texans draft Julius Peppers"

Yup, my first 4 of 6 reps were neg for saying Dave was no good, had rocks for brains and didn't watch film...all truths. I think his excuses are weak. Maybe he should have made some calls and realized that watching 3 hours of film wouldn't get it done. That is no drive. Troy Aikman got his ass beat his rookie year and got better. Dave didn't have the drive or the skills in the long run

David's brother was on this board? Man, I wish I had been here. Not that I would have derided him, because I was a Carr apologist for a LONG time... but it woulda been interesting.

No, you wouldn't have wanted to be here. Hulk was insufferable.

Last edited:
wow...sad but true article on the starting QB of the first five years of this franchise. It's no wonder we didn't have a winning streak until year 7.

Why did Schaub have to take the same freakin' number? :brickwall:

The Carr Wars were a long hard slog. Unfortunately being right about Carr just shines the ego a bit, nothing more.

How I miss the good old days of the Fresno Flop, the raised, clenched fist of victory, a hair cut, the never ending excuses and those fun lovin' Fresno fishsticks who cut out of town as soon as Carr was gone.

I dunno how do you think Sanchez would have done playing for the Texans in that Xpansion year or how would Carr have done this year playing his NFL rookie season with that outstanding jets OLine and their group of skill-position players ?
I'm sure each QB would have had very different experiences their first year in the league ?

I dunno how do you think Sanchez would have done playing for the Texans in that Xpansion year or how would Carr have done this year playing his NFL rookie season with that outstanding jets OLine and their group of skill-position players ?
I'm sure each QB would have had very different experiences their first year in the league ?

Carr was put in a bad situation on and off the field . They made him the starting QB for an expansion team plus he became the face of the franchise the minute he was drafted . When you draft a QB first overall , you hope it's Bradshaw , Aikman , Elway , or Manning .

To hear all you Carr genius's that could foretell the future, it's as if all we (at that time) Carr supporters neg repped you into submission. I'd like to point out, no one took more neg rep than me and my non-support to draft Vince Young, and you don't hear me whining about it...uh...well until now <grin> Now everyone positive rep this post to make up for your shallow narrow mindedness then <raised eyebrow at all the closet VY supporters> LOL

This ^^^^^^

He's blamed everyone under the sun.... Funny, how his ex-teammates will tell you that David was the LIFO (last in - first out) of practice!!

To hear all you Carr genius's that could foretell the future, it's as if all we (at that time) Carr supporters neg repped you into submission. I'd like to point out, no one took more neg rep than me and my non-support to draft Vince Young, and you don't hear me whining about it...uh...well until now <grin> Now everyone positive rep this post to make up for your shallow narrow mindedness then <raised eyebrow at all the closet VY supporters> LOL

1) I don't neg rep people. Never have.
2) Good for you on Young'
3) I never got neg repped into submission. I just started getting them and then they turned green after awhile :toast2:
4) I'll hand you some rep because I'm a nice guy. :)

The Carr Wars were a long hard slog. Unfortunately being right about Carr just shines the ego a bit, nothing more.
How I miss the good old days of the Fresno Flop, the raised, clenched fist of victory, a hair cut, the never ending excuses and those fun lovin' Fresno fishsticks who cut out of town as soon as Carr was gone.

:kingkong:

No mercy, no submission. Heck it is part of this forbidden dance we do. I was against Carr, Bush and VY - plenty of scars to go around.

The last couple of posters are hitting the nail on the head.

Bob loved David. And it seems (to me, at least) he had that love for Dunta, allowing that fat check to be written. I don't care who decided we were retaining him, the man who signs the checks could decide NOT to.

Oh freaking well.

Carr was put in a bad situation on and off the field . They made him the starting QB for an expansion team plus he became the face of the franchise the minute he was drafted . When you draft a QB first overall , you hope it's Bradshaw , Aikman , Elway , or Manning .

No one can say what any of those guys would have done if they were drafted by the 2002 Texans like HWWNBN was. They all came into established situations where there were solid offensive players already there (Marvin Harrison and Marshall Faulk were on the Colts when Manning was drafted) or the coaching staff knew how to build around them (ref.: Jimmy Johnson or Chuck Knoll). And even at that, it took a little time for each of them to come into their own.

But they all had a work ethic and a fire for the game that HWWNBN never consistently showed. Although Bradshaw had to be benched for a while to get it to come out.

Back