Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Dan Reeves: Take Vince Young

I just heard John McClain say that Dan Reeves recommended that the Texans take Vince Young, but obviously they didn't listen to him....he is on his Friday evening radio spot on 610am right now.

Are John and Dan tight?

OMG are we still crying that we didn't pick Vince Young from the draft that's been over almost 8 months now? Geez, people will just not let it go and move on.

OMG are we still crying that we didn't pick Vince Young from the draft that's been over almost 8 months now? Geez, people will just not let it go and move on.
Um, this is just news of great interest I'm passing along. That's what message boards are for.

That's very interesting, especially since had we not taken Williams it would have been more likely Bush than Young.

Maybe there is something to the theory that McNair is the one who is insisting on Carr. No one else could have easily overruled Reeves. Maybe Kubiak could have.

I guess we should all follow McClain because he can't let it go either.

And where does Casserly fit into all of this.

I can't tell if McNair is just not saying anything about Carr because well he is still here and that will definitely cause a stir in media asking Carr how he feels now that he knows he will no longer be a Texan? Just not PR wise anyway...but I am just hoping this is the case!

I guess we should all follow McClain because he can't let it go either.

Contrary to popular belief, not everything was Casserly's fault. Had McNair given Casserly the power to force the coaches to do things they refused to the Texans would be in a better position right now.

Just my opinion, of course.

I think it is really the discussion about the decision making issues of the organization and all the blunders made. This topic being one of them.

Interesting you should bring that up. Today, I heard the theory kicked around that some of Casserly's boys are still working in the Texans organization as scouts, and maybe other low profile positions. "The point being, the team is still not entirely rid of the stinch of the previous administration."

So why is it that McNair does not tell people that Reeves advised him to take Vince Young, but a "coach" told him he would not come to Houston if they let Carr go and chose Vince Young. Why is he trying to make it seem like taking Vince Young was an unpopular choice of the coaches he interviewed when his "adviser" was telling him to do it?

There is always two sides.

It was reported shortly after his services were completed that he recommended the Carr extension and that the problems were not Carr. He had a chance to say something then?

Why did he wait so long to bust this news?

Was there a waiting period because of contractual obligations for his services?

This is just bizarre...

It was reported shortly after his services were completed that he recommended the Carr extension and that the problems were not Carr.

Why did he wait so long to bust this news?

This is just bizarre...
I think Reeves just made it public on his radio show if I understood McClain right...this didn't come from the Texans. Reeves doesn't work here so he has nothing to hide.

I think Reeves just made it public on his radio show if I understood McClain right...this didn't come from the Texans. Reeves doesn't work here so he has nothing to hide.

Do you think there is any "sour grapes" because Reeves wanted the coaching job?

It has been out there since he finished his services that everyone understood his report was to keep Carr.

But why did he wait so long to bust this news?

I just heard John McClain say that Dan Reeves recommended that the Texans take Vince Young, but obviously they didn't listen to him....he is on his Friday evening radio spot on 610am right now. http://www.sportsradio610.com/

Interesting.... :hmmm:

It puts a knife through the theory about McNair's inner circle telling him to keep Carr and find a HC that is cool with the decision. Obviously McNair had all kinds of perspectives, and maybe, just maybe, keeping Carr was a head coaching decision, 'eh?

That's very interesting, especially since had we not taken Williams it would have been more likely Bush than Young.

Maybe there is something to the theory that McNair is the one who is insisting on Carr. No one else could have easily overruled Reeves. Maybe Kubiak could have.

I think once we exercised Carr's option, it was down to Bush and Mario. McNair's influence was the condition to have a player signed by the draft, which Mario was the only taker.

I honestly don't think McNair insisted or demanded anything (other than the sign-before-the-draft requirement mentioned above). I believe him when he says that he hires football people to run his franchise, and keeping Carr was basically their decision.

If it was all about money, then Bush or Young would be in Texans unis right now. The bottom line and fan support would be blind and unconditional if we had followed popular opinion.

I fully believe that keeping Carr is on one man's shoulders: Gary Kubiak.

I'm listening to SR 610, so I heard it to.
That's a mini bombshell IMO !
All this time I thought McNair was a delagator and one followed the advice
of his hired experts. Instead, it looks like he ignores the advise of his experts
if the advice doesn't suit him.

Maybe he was McNair's first choice of coach but they did not agree on Carr.

Much like McNair was saying that coaches would not come if they got rid of Carr and selected VY, maybe Reeves didn't want to coach here if we were going to keep Carr and not take VY. Maybe that showed him that he would not have the control of the team he wanted.

You really never know what happened.

I don't care about getting Vince as much as I do about upgrading the QB .

If Reeves said this then he agreed that Carr was'nt all that .

Hulk .. McClain said he did not hug Fisher .

I fully believe that keeping Carr is on one man's shoulders: Gary Kubiak.

I really hope that is not true. But I guess we will never know.

Maybe Kubiak wanted the job so bad, and knew McNair wanted to keep Carr so bad, that he told Bob he could turn Carr into the QB everybody thought he would be so he would get hired.

Maybe Reeves' hindsight is better than his memory? Maybe Reeves suggested it but wasn't 100% behind the option? Maybe Reeves was talking about the business decision and popularity. Maybe Reeves said to pick Young because he was by far the best player. There are probably shades of meaning here, as everywhere.

The way I have heard about the pick is that Troy Calhoun (OC) wanted Bush and Richard Smith (DC) wanted Williams and Kubiak made the decision. This could still be true; it might have been clear to everyone they weren't going to be allowed to draft a QB.

I guess this is the same McClain that said we should pick up David Carr's option in the off-season

he [McClain] contends that the Texans will and should pick up the option to retain Carr's services. McClain reasons that the Texans should retain Carr because "every team in the NFL that needed a quarterback would line up to give him a signing bonus of a lot more than $8 million," although McClain provides no supporting analysis for that conclusion. Link

Maybe Reeves' hindsight is better than his memory? Maybe Reeves suggested it but wasn't 100% behind the option? Maybe Reeves was talking about the business decision and popularity. Maybe Reeves said to pick Young becuase he was by far the best player. There are probably shades of meaning here, as everywhere.

The way I have heard about the pick is that Troy Calhoun (OC) wanted Bush and Richard Smith (DC) wanted Williams and Kubiak made the decision. This could still be true; it might have been clear to everyone they weren't going to be allowed to draft a QB.

I agree in the thought that they weren't allowed to draft a QB.

Who could have tossed Reeves' advice aside other than McNair?

Didn't Reeves draft Vick? If he did I could understand his recommending VY. Something's just weird about this whole mess.

If Reeves told McNair to take Vince Young, WHY THE HELL DID WE RESIGN CARR AND PASS ON YOUNG. ugh, the plot thickens.

mcnair is coming across as a mindless stooge

Dan Reeves probably wanted the Texans to draft VY thinking that it would take him a few years to handle an NFL offense. It's still mysterious to think what actually went on with McNair, Reeves, Casserly and crew.

Perhaps Reeves is the HC candidate that did not want the position if it included keeping Carr.... :hmmm:

Although I've always heard that Reeves did not want to get back into coaching and enjoys being an advisor.

Why wait til the week after VY beats the Texans twice to bring it up? Did somebody ask him what his advice was or did he just start speaking his mind on the subject?

Why wait til the week after VY beats the Texans twice to bring it up? Did somebody ask him what his advice was or did he just start speaking his mind on the subject?

Yeah, I have posted the same question 3 times in this thread.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will be getting answer...

Perhaps Reeves is the HC candidate that did not want the position if it included keeping Carr.... :hmmm:

Although I've always heard that Reeves did not want to get back into coaching and enjoys being an advisor.

I was thinking it was more along the lines of Reeves was the HC candidate until he suggested taking VY. Maybe McNair did not want that and Reeves felt the job would be too restrictive.

I'll bet one thing is for sure- Reeves will never consult here again :aikido:

sheer poppycock, planting the seeds of dischord, watching them sprout & come to fruition. it is what it is. Mario Willams is a Texan & Vince Young is not, to make matters worse he is a possum. are you all possums or Texans :stirpot:

Back