Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

D.D. Lewis

autch14

Noob
LB seems to be one of our strong points this upcoming season. We have already signed 2 free agent LB's. Does anyone think someone gets cut or something because D.D. Lewis is scheduled to meet with us soon. I just don't see why we are going after another LB.

IMO i think Kubiak sees the raw talent he has in D.Ryans is is trying to surround him with as much experience as possible.

I think that we're just trying to upgrade the unit. It doesn't seem like the guys that we had last year (aside from Ryans) were setting the league on fire.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4673967.html

The Texans will be visiting with linebacker D.D. Lewis at Reliant Stadium today.

The former Aldine and University of Texas star is an unrestricted free agent after spending the past five years with the Seattle Seahawks.

The Texans are continuing to look at talent that could bolster their linebacking unit. They already have signed free agents Danny Clark and Shawn Barber.

Lewis, 6-1 and 241 pounds, signed with the Seahawks as an undrafted free agent in 2002. Despite often being hampered by injuries, Lewis has 163 tackles, three forced fumbles and one sack in his career. He was a starter in Super Bowl XL.

Has anyone seen him play? I see the stats but maybe he creates things for other people. Is he better than his stats say?

maybe they're trying to get as much competition as possible for the outside positions so they can cut whoever is slacking...maybe morlon greenwood is on the chop block due to his high salary as well as wong...maybe they don't want polk back...maybe they just want to see how good LB's can make their defense...plus you have to add in the factor of getting as many veteran guys around ryans so that he can learn all he can

If nothing else, it sounds like they're trying to push the guys that we have at LB already. None of them are standouts (aside from DeMeco.)

I think that Wong won't make the opening day roster.

It seems like a good move by Kubs.

For starters this has to send up a massive flag to Morlon to start playing like the salary he's making. He was off the hook last year because there was no competition

Second it brings teaching and contributing experience

May the best men win the starting spots

Apparently this competition can be done on the cheap, since none of these FA contracts are that pricey to sign or cut anyone.

Lastly, I will be surprised if Texans draft a LB (unless its a 6th or 7th round pick), since they have not addressed WR#2, DB, or O-Line appreciably in FA.

i totally agree with drafting a LB late in the draft...none of the FA guys we've signed are considered long term solutions to either of the outside positions so getting a guy who is young to develop isn't a bad idea...just a name to throw out there for this is thaddeus washington from colorado...the guys is a serious hitter...fits the jeremiah trotter mold where he doesn't have the ideal height or speed but can seriously lay some lumber down

A little birdie told me Morlon may be cut....

But if you all don't know my feelings towards Morlons play, I'll let them be known now...

The guy is borderline terrible...

I wouldn't go as far as saying terrible (i reserve terrible for DB's named P-burnt or Matt Stevens), but he's........... blah.

Sometimes I forget he's even on the field at times.... Not good when you expect your LB's to make plays..

From the Seahawks Fan Site (No '06 info.):

PROFESSIONAL CAREER
2005: Took over starting linebacking duties this season and started all 12 games played, missing four (three knee, one foot). Collected 22 tackles (17 solo) through his first four games of the season. Tied career-high with 11 tackles (six solo) vs. Dallas (10/23) where he also forced his only fumble of the season, second career. Started all three postseason games. Had an assisted tackle vs. Washington (1/14/06) and four tackles each vs. Carolina (1/22/06) and vs. Pittsburgh (2/5/06) in Super Bowl XL. Pro: Signed by the Seahawks as an undrafted free agent April 30, 2002. The lone Seattle 2002 free agent to make the opening weekend active roster. 2002: Played in all 16 games, beginning the season on special teams, ranking fourth with 11 special teams tackles. Moved into the linebacker rotation after injuries to Anthony Simmons (ankle) and Chad Brown (foot). Saw his first action at St. Louis (10/20) where he had three solo tackles and one forced fumble (by Lamar Gordon) that led to a Seahawks score in the fourth quarter. Collected a career-high four tackles twice in back-to-back weeks, at Arizona (11/10) and vs. Denver (11/17). 2003: Played an important role in the Seahawks’ linebacking corps, filling in for Brown (foot, flu) and Simmons (neck) while seeing extensive time in the nickel package. Played in 15 games, starting five and leading the team in tackles four of those games. Opened the season with a then career-high eight stops (seven solo) vs. New Orleans (9/7). Saved the day, along with Ken Hamlin, on their hit on Rams WR Dane Looker that popped the ball into the air and intercepted by Simmons that led to Seattle’s comeback win over St. Louis (9/21). Made first career start at Cincinnati (10/26) in place of Brown (foot) and posted seven tackles (four solo). The following week he blocked a punt that Seattle converted into a field goal. It was the Seahawks’ first punt block since Alex Bannister blocked a Denver punt 10/14/01 (34 games). Made second start vs. Detroit (11/16) in place of Simmons (coach’s decision) and posted a career-high 11 tackles (eight solo), but was declared inactive the following week with a back injury. Made third and fourth starts at Minnesota (12/7) and at St. Louis (12/14) in place of Simmons (neck). Posted 18 tackles (11 solo) in those two games, including second double-digit tackle game of the season with 10 at the Rams. Started for the third straight week vs. Arizona (12/21) but this was in place of Brown (flu). Replaced Brown (ankle) in the Wild Card Game at Green Bay (1/4/04) early in the second quarter and led the team with 10 tackles (eight solo). Finished the regular season with a career-high 56 tackles (38 solo) and third on the team with 10 special teams tackles. 2004: Underwent offseason shoulder surgery that did not heal in time for training camp. Placed on injured reserve August 31, 2004.

COLLEGE
Started all 51 games of his career, a UT record. Recorded 314 tackles with 17 sacks and 40 stops behind the line of scrimmage. Holds the school's all-time record with 10 fumble recoveries. Shared UT's Most Valuable Player, Most Valuable Defensive Player, and Outstanding Linebacker (third straight year) as a senior. Ranked third on team with 81 tackles (47 solo) and second with 5.5 sacks for minus 50 yards, both career highs. Tied for team lead with 78 tackles (45 solo) and led the squad with a school-record-tying five fumble recoveries. Had 4.5 sacks for minus 43 yards and 15 stops for minus 60 yards. Recorded 78 tackles (44 solo) as a sophomore with five sacks for minus 44 yards and 13 stops for minus 55 yards. Third on team with 77 tackles (44 solo) as a redshirt freshman and three sacks.

PERSONAL
Married to the former Nicole Resse and has a son, Zion Joshua and daughter Jada. Has a passion for the Kingdom of God. Was a college teammate of defensive tackle Marcus Tubbs. Born Janaury 8, 1979, in Bermahaven, Germany.

But if you all don't know my feelings towards Morlons play, I'll let them be known now...

I completely agree. I think they give Anderson a looksee this year as well. That cat can move...

Also, Patrick Willis will be there at 10 - they say he can play OLB just as well - maybe a little high at 10 but 4.37 at LB is always good to have. :drool:

i think your sentiment is shared by many of us. borderline terrible + vastly overpaid? wonderful combination. this interest in all these LB's certainly puts SOME validity into greenwood being a June 1 cut. i doubt barber and clark would have come here unless they knew they would be getting some solid PT. i'd think lewis would feel the same.

I'm all for adding more depth and options at LB, not to mention bringing in a good guy that I graduated high school with here in Houston.

NFL LB, not bad for our star FB.

DD Lewis is one of my best friends cousins, and his family lives around here, I am almost positive he is going to sign becuase of inside information I have. He was part of the seahawks defense for the past 5 years or so and played for texas....so he has played in plenty of big games, I think he would be a great addition.

DD Lewis is one of my best friends cousins, and his family lives around here, I am almost positive he is going to sign becuase of inside information I have. He was part of the seahawks defense for the past 5 years or so and played for texas....so he has played in plenty of big games, I think he would be a great addition.
I think I read that he played in a SB which if true should be helpful.

hes going to have to fight roc alexander for #28
seahawks.jpg

According to McClain on 610 last night, the Texans want more speed at the LB position. I don't know how much speed some of these veterans are bringing, but I at least it increases the competition.

Someone on this board made the VERY wise comment just last week or so (and I've heard this before)...any time you have a LOT of something...that means you don't have enough (quality).

Great example....look at ALL of the WR's that the Patriots have on their roster at present. It's freakin INSANE! I mean.........9 WR'S even BEFORE the draft! hahaha WOW!

15 Kelley Washington WR 6-3 218 8/21/1979
13 Bam Childress WR 5-10 185 3/31/1982
Donte Stallworth WR 6-0 196 11/10/1980
87 Reche Caldwell WR 6-0 210 3/28/1979
83 Wes Welker WR 5-9 185 5/1/1981
17 Chad Jackson WR 6-1 215 3/6/1985
10 Jabar Gaffney WR 6-1 205 12/1/1980
19 Kelvin Kight WR 6-0 213 7/2/1982
81 Jonathan Smith WR 5-10 194 11/28/1981

With all of the LB's were bringing in....that tells me....we aren't sure about any of them (or atleast not any particular 3). We did the same last year...and that was BEFORE we knew what kind of immediate impact RYANS could/would have.

I'm not complaining....I'm fine with finding the 2 most suitable stop-gaps for 2007. But let's understand that whether it's DD Lewis, Clark or whomever (wait...did I just say LEWIS & CLARK...haha), we'll need to get another RYANS-CALIBER guy in 2008 since 2007 appears to be more WR & DB and Line (both) focused).

Did I mention I still would like to see us draft a freaking kicker. hahah

We resigned Stanley....again. McNair must be his uncle or something.

we had a seriously bad linebacker problem after DeMeco last year so none of this surprises me a bit.

we had a seriously bad linebacker problem after DeMeco last year so none of this surprises me a bit.

agreed. it also shows LB's are easier to aquire via free agency than other positions like cb/ot/de so they can focus on these in the draft :)

D.D. Lewis when he was at UT seemed like Derrick Johnson before Derrick Johnson...dude was nice back in the day...(back in the day was like, 2001...lol)...but yeah, he was a tackling machine then...problem was some games he'd have a rough go at it if the O-Line had great run blocking...(Like the Colorado game in 01...big 12 title game).

He'd be a great addition, and if xTRx's "birdie" is right...damn, Rickizzle is gettin rid of ALL Casserly's mistakes....in 2008, I guarantee yall, look for TJ to be on the chopping block in 08.

D.D. Lewis when he was at UT seemed like Derrick Johnson before Derrick Johnson...dude was nice back in the day...(back in the day was like, 2001...lol)...but yeah, he was a tackling machine then...problem was some games he'd have a rough go at it if the O-Line had great run blocking...(Like the Colorado game in 01...big 12 title game).

He'd be a great addition, and if xTRx's "birdie" is right...damn, Rickizzle is gettin rid of ALL Casserly's mistakes....in 2008, I guarantee yall, look for TJ to be on the chopping block in 08.

I think we should trade him now. Draft Okoye and trade TJ for either a pick or DB, OL.

well i think morlon has the talent to be good but i don't think his talents really translate to the field as well as casserly and capers thought it would...remember when he was in miami he seemed to be a solid LB but i think we're seeing that his production was due to teams running away from zach thomas

with the guys we are bringing in like danny clark, shawn barber, and now dd lewis to force greenwood and wong to compete

D.D. Lewis when he was at UT seemed like Derrick Johnson before Derrick Johnson...dude was nice back in the day....but yeah, he was a tackling machine then...problem was some games he'd have a rough go at it if the O-Line had great run blocking...(Like the Colorado game in 01...big 12 title game).

very true

Back