Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Cutler Almost Traded

If I were Shanny Id want to trade him after hearing this...

"I dont play for coaches anyway"

All he said is that he plays for teammates. Nothing wrong with that, IMO. Besides, Shanny doesn't have anything to do with it, since he's not even a Bronco anymore.

Wow!!! Alright Denver if you want to get rid of Cutler, you can have Schaub, a third round pick, and a case of Shiner Bock.

Really guys? Maybe I'm just crazy, but I'd rather have Schaub than Cutler.

I'm not too sure, I think Cutler looks like a nicely developing QB, and his attitude seems pretty impressive to me.

Shocked that the Broncos would entertain replacing him with Cassel. Are they stupid, or just bored during the offseason?

I honestly believe that he was never gonna be traded...as GM/Coaches..you always hear what somebody has to say. Thats just playing the game from a buisness perspective. The new regime knows they have a top tier QB. And Pat Bowlin would would "***** slap em" for even thinking it:club:

I'm not too sure, I think Cutler looks like a nicely developing QB, and his attitude seems pretty impressive to me.
Shocked that the Broncos would entertain replacing him with Cassel. Are they stupid, or just bored during the offseason?

I like the fact he is not afraid to try and get the ball in just about anywhere but his mouth and attitude have been an issue. He mouthed of about Rivers and then got beat by the chargers as well as complaining in the media in Denver. That does not make win you a whole lot of fans in year three when you have yet to win anything. AS many good plays as Cutler makes with his legs and strong arm up to this point it has just bought him enough time to get into trouble and throw game ending picks.

Really guys? Maybe I'm just crazy, but I'd rather have Schaub than Cutler.

I'm going with you're crazy. Cutler is going to be a top 5 QB in this league in a year or two, and he's going to stay there for a long time. Schaub doesn't have a ceiling that high.

I like the fact he is not afraid to try and get the ball in just about anywhere but his mouth and attitude have been an issue. He mouthed of[f] about Rivers and then got beat by the chargers as well as complaining in the media in Denver. That does not make win you a whole lot of fans in year three when you have yet to win anything. AS many good plays as Cutler makes with his legs and strong arm up to this point it has just bought him enough time to get into trouble and throw game ending picks.

Ummm ... did you watch that game? Rivers at one point as he was walking off the field made a point to walk over near the Denver bench and mouth off to Cutler basically calling him a baby and a bust. Made some crying motion ... it was completely classless. Rivers is a douche bag plain and simple. He has no idea of sportsmanship and really should have been fined several times for what he has done. He will get his though. You act like that in this league and your liner starts to fail you find guys going for your knees.

Ummm ... did you watch that game? Rivers at one point as he was walking off the field made a point to walk over near the Denver bench and mouth off to Cutler basically calling him a baby and a bust. Made some crying motion ... it was completely classless. Rivers is a douche bag plain and simple. He has no idea of sportsmanship and really should have been fined several times for what he has done. He will get his though. You act like that in this league and your liner starts to fail you find guys going for your knees.

i still lol at rivers being such a douche yet doesnt curse. i can imagine 'hey cutler, nice incompletion you dumb frick' :rolleyes:

If I were Shanny Id want to trade him after hearing this...

"I dont play for coaches anyway"

Damn, i apologize, it was late and if you watch the rockets well, youll understand my state of mind....

To correct my comment, If I were Josh, I would want to trade him after hearing this.

As a coach, I would talk to him to see if I really thinnk he believes what he said and then either trade him or dont.

Philip Rivers is in the Top 5 of my least liked players. I actually used to like the Chargers but completely stopped being a fan of that team because of him and his attitude/immaturity.

The Broncos will run the spread and Cassel is a much better fit for that system. Cutler is a gunslinger with a huge arm who isn't affraid to take chances.

I would love to see Culter as the Texans QB. We need a QB with an attituide

The Broncos will run the spread and Cassel is a much better fit for that system. Cutler is a gunslinger with a huge arm who isn't affraid to take chances.

I would love to see Culter as the Texans QB. We need a QB with an attituide

Cassel is a Chief .

Maybe the Broncos can trade Cutler back to the state where he played his college ball . Maybe for the 3rd pick in the 2006 draft and a certain RB from Colorado .

Cassel is a Chief .

Maybe the Broncos can trade Cutler back to the state where he played his college ball . Maybe for the 3rd pick in the 2006 draft and a certain RB from Colorado .

The Broncos were trying to trade for Cassel while trading Cutler someplace else from what I hear. The Chiefs beat them to the punch and cut out the middle man

I'm going to serve up my next prediction (I called the Orlovski signing, and I called Ward going to Tampa Bay, well before it happened).

Prediction: Coach and Quarterback will patch things up, it'll go down as one of those "We got to know each other, we're really a lot alike and this has made us better."

The coach screwed up. He came in acting like he was all that, and it backfired. He'll eat crow and doesn't want to start off his tenure on this sort of situation.

If Cutler wants a trade after this...Phillip Rivers is right. Not saying he has no right to be upset but he has to realize that things like this are going to happen during coaching changes and that he has been in the league long enough to know that if playoffs don't happen for The Broncos, they will make any adjustment necessary.

If Cutler wants a trade after this...Phillip Rivers is right. Not saying he has no right to be upset but he has to realize that things like this are going to happen during coaching changes and that he has been in the league long enough to know that if playoffs don't happen for The Broncos, they will make any adjustment necessary.

Difference is I think Cutler has done his part and came into his own this year. Defense is the one that melted down during the last stretch of the season.

Maybe the HC thought he could swing a trade for his guy Cassell when he was on market, granted he was not going to get the deal KC got. Not sure I am sold on Cassell, but I guess we'll see what happens when he doesn't have Rand Moss to throw to in KC. All in all pretty stupid move for a first time HC.

Difference is I think Cutler has done his part and came into his own this year. Defense is the one that melted down during the last stretch of the season.

Maybe the HC thought he could swing a trade for his guy Cassell when he was on market, granted he was not going to get the deal KC got. Not sure I am sold on Cassell, but I guess we'll see what happens when he doesn't have Rand Moss to throw to in KC. All in all pretty stupid move for a first time HC.

Totally agreed. Cutler had a really good season last year and was on the verge of being ELITE. He totally carried that team last season when they had no running game and no defense at all and the play calling wasn't really good either. I watched almost every Denver game of the season and followed them almost as much as the Texans because of all my fantasy players I had on Denver. If it wasn't for Cutler that team could have easily been like 4-12 or 5-11. Teams in the second half of the season just dropped their DB's back into zone coverage every game since they had no running attack and it made it tougher on the Broncos and the coordinators weren't using Sheffler enough.

I really wish since Kubiak loves Denver players so much, that he'd convince Mcnair and Smith to make a trade to get Cutler right now. Mcdaniel might see something in injury prone Shaub that they like to where they would do it. Cutler is already a better QB that Shaub and isn't injury prone like him either and has a much higher ceiling and not to mention is a year or two younger. Cutler TO Andre Johnson would be freaking awsome to watch.

I think Cutler's still upset that Shanny got bounced. McDaniels trying to trade him just added fuel to that fire. I suspect something will go down with him next year. Kubiak will give up the 2010 1st rounder for him.........:)

I agree on this. Cutler looked good last season. The Broncos defense was absolutely awful.

Plus, people really need to stop referencing Phillip Rivers regarding him saying Cutler is a crybaby. I mean, it's Phillip. Rivers.

Rivers reminds me of the arrogant QB in high school who wore his letter jacket every day to school. He'd smack his bubble gum and walk down the hall with his arm around Cindy, the cheerleading captain...making snappy one-liners at the freaks and geeks as he passed them in the hall.

fred_obannion.jpg

So, according to Denver sports radio(and ESPN now too) Cutler and McDaniels FINALLY met face to face for the first time since their tiff.
On a positive note, they met here in Denver. On a negative note, apparently things did not go well and they actually got into a heated exchange of words. Cutler is looks like he will miss tomorrow's first team meeting.

On another note, Cutler has put his house here in Denver on the market.
He is asking $2mill for it. Good luck in the Denver market.

So, according to Denver sports radio(and ESPN now too) Cutler and McDaniels FINALLY met face to face for the first time since their tiff.
On a positive note, they met here in Denver. On a negative note, apparently things did not go well and they actually got into a heated exchange of words. Cutler is looks like he will miss tomorrow's first team meeting.

Bring him in Kubes!

The kid's arm doesn't fit the spread and his swagger certainly isn't in the Bill Belicheet kiss-ass category, so we may can get him cheap

just so long as he doesn't get traded to Tenn or Jacksonville.

Why cant we trade for him he already knows the system and its cutler he has a chance of being a top 4 qb in the leagaue

M.schaub and our 3rd rounder and our 6th rounder:whip:

Cutler wants out shold we trade Schaub for him?

Lets see, an average QB who can't stay on the field and seems to lack a competitive spirit, or a Pro bowl QB that threw for over 4k plus yards last year that has been able to stay pretty healthy.

Nothing against Schaub but I see DanO needing to play significant time this year and I just don't think I can take that this year.

So yes, Cutler for Schaub and I would even throw in Danny boy.

I'd give up Schaub for Cutler and a 3rd. If they say no...cool then you keep him.

If I was Fischer I'd offer up the all-world VY for Cutler and a 3rd. If they say no...then good luck with that.

My prediction is on the verge of failure.

As of Monday, Cutler is persistent that he's done in Denver.

There are WILDLY different stories from McDaniels and Cutler, regarding their sunday sitdown, and so I think it's clear that Cutler's sticking to his guns on this deal.

Also: We ain't trading for Cutler.

We could have, if we hadn't traded for Schaub. But that would have meant two years with Sage or someone else.

Cutler would do well in this offense, by the way.

I don't think there's any need to try and figure out who is better between Jay and Matt.

It looks like they've got a real problem with this situation up in Denver ?
And I think Cutler is a tremendous talent, the best player from the 2006 Draft
in spite of some saying he's a whiner. This was a big-time blunder by this new
Broncos GM.
Somebdy will cough up a 1st round pick for him if Denver does in fact decide
to move him, and the way things are going they may have to do just that.

Where is this "Cutler and a third" stuff coming from? Offseason trade talk is a worthwhile pastime, but let's inject a little reason and common sense please.

I don't think Cutler is getting traded, but even if he were, the team trading for him isn't getting a third. They're getting a proven player at the most important position in the game, so they're the ones giving up multiple picks.

If I were Coach K. I'd try my best to talk Smith and McNair into letting injury prone MS go and then go after Jay.

If I were Coach K. I'd try my best to talk Smith and McNair into letting injury prone MS go and then go after Jay.

Be prepared to give up at least a 1 round pick in that deal. If we were a team that's closer to the Vikings who have just needed good QB to get to the next level I'd say make the deal. Problem is we have some many question marks on a young defense I'm not sure it would be worth it. We also need some depth on the Oline still and I'd like to see Meyers supplanted as the starter. He makes great depth though. If Matt Schaub can't go full time next year I'm expecting us to renegioate the three extension and look for a new QB. Of course that is assuming we don't spend a pick on a guy like Nate Davis this year.

Unless this team makes a severe regression next year I expect Kubiak back.

Could both parties stories be anymore screwed up

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3983805

Cutlers

I went in there with every intention of solving the issue, being a Bronco, moving forward as a Bronco," Cutler said. "We weren't in there but about 20 minutes, [McDaniels] did most of the talking and as far as I'm concerned, he made it clear he wants his own guy. He admitted he wanted Matt Cassel because he said he has raised him up from the ground as a quarterback. He said he wasn't sorry about it. He made it clear that he could still entertain trading me because, as he put it, he'll do whatever he feels is in the best interest of the organization.

"At the end of the meeting, he wasn't like, 'Jay, I want you as our quarterback, you're our guy.' It felt like the opposite. He basically said that I needed to tell him if we can't work this out, to let him know," Cutler added. "I thought he was antagonizing me and that was disappointing because I was ready to move on, committed as a Bronco. Really, I figured we'd hash things out, shake hands, laugh a little and move forward. What happened [Saturday] was the last thing I expected. If I didn't think it could be fixed, I never would have come back to Denver. It was painfully obvious to me and Bus [Cook, his agent] it's not something they want to fix."

Consequently, Cutler instructed Cook, who also attended the meeting, to formally request a trade. The quarterback said he left town late Sunday and would skip McDaniels' first team meeting on Monday as they begin their offseason program.

Cutler won't be present at the team meeting.

"I certainly went back there, expecting I'd be there [Monday] but not now," Cutler said. "It's not mandatory. I'll attend every mandatory mini-camp and training camp but that's it. Really, it's best for me to move on. As coach said, he needs every eye in the meeting room to be on him and not me."

Cutler said: "You know, even after the meeting, I hung around town, kind of expecting him to call me and say, 'Hey, let's just me and you get away and have lunch or a cup of coffee' and mend things, but that didn't happen. So, I get it, really, it's a business. I'm disappointed beause I love being a Bronco but I think it's run its course."

Denvers

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen told the Denver Post on Sunday that he was disappointed with how Cutler has handled the situation. In a telephone interview with ESPN, McDaniels was reluctantly expansive on the story.

"I really have wanted to avoid a he-said, she-said thing but it's only fair for us to present the Bronco side of the story rather than let things get taken out of context," McDaniels said. "There's been a pattern here for the past two weeks the way things [have been represented] in our communications. I don't think anythng that happened [Saturday] was out of the ordinary. At the end of the meeting, Jay said he had thought about things quite a bit and requested a few more hours to mull things over. He said he wanted to talk to Bus on how to proceed. He was gonna call me on my cell phone and that never happened. Instead, Bus called [GM] Brian [Xanders].

"Again, I think that's been a pattern. I couldn't get [Cutler] to talk to me for two weeks or to talk to Mr. Bowlen. Then when he came here this weekend, we couldn't get a one-on-one meeting, just me and him alone. He wanted Bus in there, so I had Brian sit in, too. And it was the four of us. There wasn't any yelling, none of that. I can't believe we get to a totally different [interpretation].

It's an unfortunate set of circumstances that has cropped up, a potential distraction and we've done our best to limit that. The main message I want to get out is that we're excited to start our offseason program [Monday]. It's an exciting time for us."

Be prepared to give up at least a 1 round pick in that deal. If we were a team that's closer to the Vikings who have just needed good QB to get to the next level I'd say make the deal. Problem is we have some many question marks on a young defense I'm not sure it would be worth it. We also need some depth on the Oline still and I'd like to see Meyers supplanted as the starter. He makes great depth though. If Matt Schaub can't go full time next year I'm expecting us to renegioate the three extension and look for a new QB. Of course that is assuming we don't spend a pick on a guy like Nate Davis this year.

Unless this team makes a severe regression next year I expect Kubiak back.
If MS doesn't play all sixteen games or most of them it will be time in 2010 to look for a new QB. I know that there are so many needs on the D side of the foottball but if we look for one next year there might not be a QB on the market but I don't think that it will happen and I am ok with having MS as the QB.

There's one thing that Matt Schaub has that Cutler doesn't. Leadership. Matt Schaub's team really likes him and they play for him. He also demands they bring their level of play up as well, and they do for the most part.

This wouldn't happen for Cutler because he's sounding like Ryan Leaf. You can keep him and send him elsewhere.

IMO,

Whether you think Cutler is a whiner or not, a new coach coming into an established team cannot do what McDaniels did. And it wasn't him "evaluating" a trade offer that was wrong. Please continue to read along...

For all the dictator-like control that Bill exerts in New England, it has rubbed off on Charlie Weiss, Mangini, and McDaniels. Crennel is exempted because he appears to be a softy who can't govern at all.

Those three ex-Patriot coaches who have become head coaches have really tried to act like whatever they do is royal and golden. And that's because they think their Patriot accomplishments grant them immunity from being questioned on what to do. Which is all good and well, until his majesty thinks that this means that whatever pops into their head is automatically the best idea in the world. It's the Michael Scott syndrome, from the show "The Office."

The problem is that BILL can get away with this because BILL built the Patriots. The ex-coaches are trying to parlay it into what we see unfolding:

1. Weiss benefitted from Willingham's leftover regime, IMO, which explains his first-year success and subsequent downward spiral. Plus, a lot of people claim that he is an arrogant and insufferable horse patooty.

2. Mangini. What else is there to say? He ran the Jets like a KGB or Gestapo-controlled organization, and was a my-way-or-the-highway guy.

3. McDaniels did not blunder in listening to trade propositions. He messed up by not keeping Cutler in the loop, as well as by lying to Cutler by saying he had NOT been in trade talks. All this could have been avoided if McDaniels had met with arguably one of the best young QBs right off the bat, telling him "We have every interest in keeping you a Bronco. I will be up-front and say that I am at least going to LISTEN to trade propositions, and it's my duty to do such a thing no matter how interested or uninterested I am in trading any of my players, including you, for any players on any other roster out there. If there is a good proposition for anybody, including YOU, I will let you know and will talk with you and see how you feel about it. In short: You're the Broncos QB and we would work with you and hear you out on anything that might come up."

Could Cutler STILL be a horse's patooty about that way of wording it? Maybe. But don't you stand a better chance of striking the right tone, as a new coach, if you don't come in and screw things up the way he has? I'm 32 myself, and McDaniels made a maturity-related mistake. Now the whole team is focused on what's going to happen at QB when you arguably already had a pretty decent guy to begin with. They didn't have Kerry Collins. They didn't have Brian Griese. McDaniels had/has a suitable QB in Cutler, and this has blown up.

It doesn't matter if Cutler is blowing this out of proportion or not. It doesn't matter if McDaniels is a snake in the grass or not. What matters is what's in-between: A new coach, replacing arguably one of the best coaches in the NFL, should have met with Cutler beforehand and should have at least spent some meaningful time with your current franchise QB before hauling off on trade talks.

From this perspective, I believe that McDaniels did NOT want Cutler as his QB. He wanted Matt the whole time, and he was making a mission of getting it done. Even had he been able to swing the deal, it was still going to be a huge error in terms of (a) who Cutler is in the NFL QB world, and (b) the fallout from fans and players who would have seen Shanny ran off and now Cutler ran off.

The Bill Bilechick way of running a team only works if you're Bill Bilechick. The coaching tree is not shaping up well when compared to the Holmgren coaching tree out of Green Bay.

It doesn't matter who is right and who is wrong. The fact remains that a coach should be focused on fostering team unity, and starting this way with your current QB was the biggest new-to-the-job blunder you could have made. What's reality is not important when dealing with people, it's the PERCEPTION factor that reigns supreme.

And even though we don't know exactly what was said, what's your PERCEPTION of both guys? McDaniels is either shifty or he's "just doing his job, so get off his back!" and Cutler is either being a baby or he's right to stick to his guns on the loyalty issue. Like I said: It's shades of gray, and that means it's on the new coach's shoulders to make sure he does all that he can do to start off on the right foot.

IMO, McDaniels is as good at the perception game as Mangini was. Going to be a fun era for Broncos fans and players, eh?

Noone else on the Broncos are crying. If anything a player should feel happy that he doesn't have to make the move. Play football and give it a try for a year. If you don't like it then, you can say you tried and it wasn't for you and that you being there isn't good for the organization. Then hopefully you can get traded.

Back