Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Comparing Expansion Plans

Tailgate

Fall of Hame
I was in a discussion comparing Jax and Car plans to ours. Didnt they get an extra first rounder on top of having more flexibility in free agency...considering it was new? Just trying to compare and find out if ours was at more of a disadvantage than earlier ones.

I know this has been over several times. I am curious though to the differences.

thanks!

I was in a discussion comparing Jax and Car plans to ours. Didnt they get an extra first rounder on top of having more flexibility in free agency...considering it was new? Just trying to compare and find out if ours was at more of a disadvantage than earlier ones.

I know this has been over several times. I am curious though to the differences.

thanks!

I remember comparing them once, but my alzheimer gets the best of me, lol.
I think one of them has a slight edge, the other about the same.

But the key was the free agents they were able to pull in the first couple of years, they both definitely had an advantage over us.

I remember comparing them once, but my alzheimer gets the best of me, lol.
I think one of them has a slight edge, the other about the same.

But the key was the free agents they were able to pull in the first couple of years, they both definitely had an advantage over us.

Its obvious I have the same symptoms of alzheimers as you.

I don't remember the exact terms, but Carolina and Jacksonville got much sweeter expansion deals than us or Cleveland did. The Browns are still trying to claw their way out...and come to think of it, so are we!!

I'll see what I can dig up, because I remember this subject being brought up in the past.

Both Carolina and Jacksonville got picks at the top and bottom of each round. Plus, I don't think they had cap restrictions as the Texans did. The owners remembered the Panthers raiding rosters in free agency, and made sure the Browns and the Texans couldn't do the same.

Both Carolina and Jacksonville got picks at the top and bottom of each round. Plus, I don't think they had cap restrictions as the Texans did. The owners remembered the Panthers raiding rosters in free agency, and made sure the Browns and the Texans couldn't do the same.

Thats how I remember it too.

Much obliged fellow Texan fans!

I would also add that when Jax and Carolina came into the league, it was the beginning of the new salary cap. The new teams had a lot to spend, and the old teams didn't know how to work the system keep their best guys under the cap yet.

The other teams got mad at their quick success and losing some of their best players so the later expansion deals weren't so cush. By the time the Texans came along, teams knew how to manage their cap better so they could keep their players who were worth the money they were being paid and could use the expansion draft to get rid of problem contracts--where the players were making more money than their performance.

Hope that helps.

I remember both Carolina and Jacksonville made the AFC and NFC Championship games in their 2nd year. They both lost, but that would have made for a weird Super Bowl. Two teams with little interest outside of their own cities. I don't really blame owners for changing the way expansion teams could be built after those two. The Texans and Browns didn't get a raw deal, they just have had poor management make poor decisions.

Good job Lucky.. Thats kind of how I remember it too.. I'm sure there are some more specific things, but I think that was the general premise behind our expansion versus the Panthers and Jags

Back when the Cowboys came in the League in 1960, they didn't have the free agency like they do today, but the expansion draft was a lot sweeter. Teams could only protect 25 players, so the rest were fair game. Even so, the Cowboys didn't do anything the 1st 5 years, but when they did get rolling under Landry, they went straight to the top. Maybe the same will happen for the Texans.

Back