is it over hyped

• yes - theres going to be to much hype win or loss

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • no - there can never be to much hype

Votes: 37 44.0%
  • i dont know

Votes: 7 8.3%

• Total voters
No matter what happens in Week One, Texans fans are going to overreact. (Okay, all 32 fanbases are going to overreact.)

But the home opener against the Colts has added meaning in Houston, where excitement is bubbling over. A win and the franchise will feel like they've finally made true progress. A loss will feel like more in the same.

In reality, the game could prove as meaningless as many Week One games prove to be. (The 31-0 shellacking Lawyer Milloy helped put on the Patriots to open the 2003 season comes to mind.) "More than a few" Colts think the Texans are overexcited.

"It's like the most important game in the history of their franchise, from what we're hearing out of there,'' one Colts veteran told Peter King of Si.com. "They might be putting a little too much emphasis on it.''

We love the older brother-like condescension, especially because it should only get the Texans more fired up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/11/colts-think-texans-are-too-hyped-for-opener/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My question for yall is.

Is it over hyped put your answer in poll and post why!

I sort of agree with the Colts take on this.

There is a danger with putting too much emphasis on any one game.

There is a danger the Texans players have a let down if they win. They might feel like they've accomplished their goal and lay down the next game.

There is a danger the Texans players have a let down if they lose. They might feel like they've lost everything and lay down the next game.

Every game is so important, there shouldn't be too much emphasis placed on any one of them.

I think this game is way overhyped, on the Houston end.

But I don't have a problem with that. The game may turn out to be meaningless, being a division game, I highly doubt it. Being that we've been pwned by the Colts for the last 8 years, I don't know if it could possibly too hyped... from a Houston perspective.

Hyping this game up, on our end at least, gives our guys a little taste of what it means to play in a truly meaningful game. Here's the expectation, win. Everygame after that will be just as overhyped, because it will then be the most important game in franchise history. The better acclimated our guys get to winning in those situations, the better prepared they will be to play (& win) in the post season.

I sort of agree with the Colts take on this.

There is a danger with putting too much emphasis on any one game.

There is a danger the Texans players have a let down if they win. They might feel like they've accomplished their goal and lay down the next game.

There is a danger the Texans players have a let down if they lose. They might feel like they've lost everything and lay down the next game.

Every game is so important, there shouldn't be too much emphasis placed on any one of them.

i agree on putting too much emphasis on any game is bad and that it could and most likely will harm us but this team runs off motivation for example gary kubiak allmost lost his job toward the end of the season but we came back and won the last 4
games

just my 2 cents

I think opening the season with the colts is a no lose situation for the Texans. If you win the game... it is just one game. If you win the game though, it sets the tone for the year... The kind of win we've never seen... a win vs the colts when win's still matter.

Mike

How in the world could the most important game in Texans’ history be over hyped; impossible. No amount of hype will suffice. It’s like saying air is over hyped.

I don't think the Texans can put too much emphasis on this game. Last year they were 1-5 against the AFC South. Putting emphasis on trying to improve their division record, something in which they have been historically terrible, seems like a good thing to me.

I think this game is way overhyped, on the Houston end.

But I don't have a problem with that. The game may turn out to be meaningless, being a division game, I highly doubt it. Being that we've been pwned by the Colts for the last 8 years, I don't know if it could possibly too hyped... from a Houston perspective.

Hyping this game up, on our end at least, gives our guys a little taste of what it means to play in a truly meaningful game. Here's the expectation, win. Everygame after that will be just as overhyped, because it will then be the most important game in franchise history. The better acclimated our guys get to winning in those situations, the better prepared they will be to play (& win) in the post season.
I hate anonymous source!

Does Peter King name his source?

i agree on putting too much emphasis on any game is bad and that it could and most likely will harm us but this team runs off motivation for example gary kubiak allmost lost his job toward the end of the season but we came back and won the last 4
games

just my 2 cents
You have always had the thoughts. Keep expanding them. They are more important than words!

I don't think the Texans can put too much emphasis on this game. Last year they were 1-5 against the AFC South. Putting emphasis on trying to improve their division record, something in which they have been historically terrible, seems like a good thing to me.

And if they want to dethrone the Colts atop the AFC South they need to improve on that 1-15 record against them. If Houston ever wants a shot at winning their division they need to beat the Colts. At least once.

I think it is actually a great time to play them. I am not sure if this is all in my head or not, but it seems to me that we always come out in week 1 looking kinda sluggish. We got pounded by the Jets last year and the Steelers the year before. I am not sure if we are just not quite prepared because we have no film to watch, or what the issue is with this.

Anyway, I figure that if it is the lack of film or being prepared, the colts are the perfect opponent. They do not change much, we know exactly what to expect from them. We just need to go out and execute. If it is not the case, and we just start slow, well, it would not be the first time we lost to the colts. Better to lose to them who we get a 2nd shot at later than to lose an easily win-able game,

I think opening the season with the colts is a no lose situation for the Texans. If you win the game... it is just one game. If you win the game though, it sets the tone for the year... The kind of win we've never seen... a win vs the colts when win's still matter.

Mike

Agreed. I hope the Colts are "under-hyped" for the game...that'd suit me just fine.

"This is not a Must Win. This is a Must ______ Well situation..." :mcnugget:

Fill in the blank. And name the former Texans player who said it.

I will never forget that quote. LOL.

I think it is actually a great time to play them. I am not sure if this is all in my head or not, but it seems to me that we always come out in week 1 looking kinda sluggish. We got pounded by the Jets last year and the Steelers the year before. I am not sure if we are just not quite prepared because we have no film to watch, or what the issue is with this.

Anyway, I figure that if it is the lack of film or being prepared, the colts are the perfect opponent. They do not change much, we know exactly what to expect from them. We just need to go out and execute. If it is not the case, and we just start slow, well, it would not be the first time we lost to the colts. Better to lose to them who we get a 2nd shot at later than to lose an easily win-able game,

Yes....and least we we're not going to have any excuses about "overlooking" the opponent (how can that EVER happen in an opener....btw?).By now.....one would reasonably assume that these guys understand what winning this game would mean. They could have won any of the 15 games other than our season opener last year. Had they have beaten the Jets, we would have made the playoffs. Beating the Colts in week 1, although not "make or break", would def set the tone for the season, IMO. There's not a better chance to make a statement.

This is a big game. Like Kubiak says it counts twice. As far as I am concerned it sets the tone for you season.....Hype it up ....hype it up......lets go.....crank it up ...for sure......

Hey guys, found the forum a few weeks ago and decided to sign up. Texans fan since the beginning, born in Fresno, lived in LA for the last few years, almost 23 years old. Hope to be of value to the board!

Anyway....as for the topic, screw that. Who WOULDN'T be hyped to play a team you've had such a hard time beating in the season-opener of a year for a team/fanbase that is absolutely starving to get into the playoffs? Who WOULDN'T be hyped up to play in the season-opener anyway?

I mean, of course, it's not the "biggest game in franchise history" but damn, it's pretty huge either way.

Rest assured Peyton will have the boys taking us very seriously, and I expect a fight as usual. Would be interesting if we end up snagging Raheem Brock, considering his familiarity with the team. Might even have some pointers for beating The Machine.

Cheers dudes.

Yeah, and they probably thought the Saints were too hyped for the Super Bowl too.

Matrix, welcome to the boards! Glad you found this site man, I think you'll really like it here.

The guy with the Colts might be right, but I don't think the Texans can help themselves. And it's the season opener which is also at home, so teams are usually sky-high in this scenario anyway.
But to have any chance for the playoffs with this brutal non-divisional schedule this year, we are gonna have to do better in our division which means winning a game vs the Colts this year for a change.
And win or lose, the Texans will probably be flat at least at kickoff for the second game which is on the road at Washington, a non-division rival.

Hey guys, found the forum a few weeks ago and decided to sign up. Texans fan since the beginning, born in Fresno, lived in LA for the last few years, almost 23 years old. Hope to be of value to the board!

Anyway....as for the topic, screw that. Who WOULDN'T be hyped to play a team you've had such a hard time beating in the season-opener of a year for a team/fanbase that is absolutely starving to get into the playoffs? Who WOULDN'T be hyped up to play in the season-opener anyway?

I mean, of course, it's not the "biggest game in franchise history" but damn, it's pretty huge either way.

Rest assured Peyton will have the boys taking us very seriously, and I expect a fight as usual. Would be interesting if we end up snagging Raheem Brock, considering his familiarity with the team. Might even have some pointers for beating The Machine.

Cheers dudes.

Hey.........I know that picture in your avatar! I took it at training camp on opening morning. :shades:

The danger with a game like this is that if we lose, it could easily carry over for the next 2 to 3 games.

Obviously if we win it will be fantastic, but if we lose.... I dont even want to think about it

We got a similiar reaction from the Titans last year in the week leading up to the game in Tennessee. All they could talk about was how inferior we are for that game being our "Super Bowl."

Well, we know how that one turned out. So, I'll take it.

But, I do worry about a let down coming off of that game if we invest too much emotion in it.

Is it being "over hyped"? Maybe, But in my opinion, it's a pretty darn important game.

We're in a league where EVERY GAME COUNTS.
A win can really set a positive tone to the season, the beginning is tough.
It's against a division rival that has dominated the division since inception.
ANY losses that the Colts get will help us win the division.
We are 1-15 against the Colts.

Beating the Colts in week 1, although not "make or break", would def set the tone for the season, IMO. There's not a better chance to make a statement.

It would put us ahead of the Colts in the race for the division, that's for sure. If this turns out to be another 12 game win season for them, that is the pace we'll have to try to stay ahead of.

I dont think there is any way we can hype this up too much. Here are the facts:

1. season opener in a season that we are picked by many to make a playoff run
2. season opener coming off of 4 straight wins and our first winning season
3. division game
4. playing a team that we are 1-15 all time against
5. if we learned anything last year, one win could be the deciding factor in a playoff birth.

We need to go out there more hyped than we have ever been for ANY game and go out there and punch them in the mouth. I dont want to just beat the colts, I want to run the score up and end up putting in our second stringers in the fourth quarter to run the clock out. We need to make a statement to ourselves and the league that we are ready to compete not only in the AFC South but in the NFL.

I think its ridiculous that some are saying we are "over hyping" this game. Thats BS and thats loser talk. Win the effing game and get even more hyped up for the next week.

I feel like we had the same attitude the colts do LAST year when we played the Jets. Hopefully we return the favor to the colts and come out ready to play instead of "sputtering" into the season like we do EVERY year.

Winners need this attitude and until we get this attitude we will never be the team that we want to.

Maybe I feel like this because I watched Hard Knocks last night and was completely in awe with the swagger that the Jets have and I wish our coach talked to our team the same way Ryan did.

Hard Nosed football fellas. Lets do it and knock the piss out of the colts.

:texflag:

Is the game overhyped? No, I don't think so. As others have already mentioned, every game is important and this IS a division game. Winning this one will go a long way in starting to put w's in the division column. If we're going to win the division this is a excellent place to start. Though the possibility of getting too high exists I believe there is enough maturity on this team to temper it.:fans:

I'm hyped!:turtle:

The games is a month away. Who's hyping it up now? I guess I'm missing out on all this hype.

Well, start the hype train up. Football season is here!! We get to see the Texans play this Saturday! I dont see how you are not hyped up about all of this. :foottap:

Whoa whoa whoa wait. I did not realize this was a SIAB thread till a moment ago, the English was far too well written. The original post has to be the best post he has ever made. I'm so proud.

Each game is an individual contest. We could lose to the Colts and then win 11 or 12 games after that and then who really cares about game 1. (Of course seeding could come in to play, but let's not get to technical.)

However I hope we beat the **** out of the Colts for talking like that. I know our franchise is still new by NFL standards, and hasn't experienced an abundance of success since its inception, but thats what the NFL intends. They don't want a brand new team to be a dynasty right out of the box (except maybe LA), because they want teams to pay thier dues. That's why they changed the expansion draft policies. However nothing gives the Colts the right to belittle our up and coming team!!!!!

GO TEXANS, put 35 points on'em and sack forehead 6 or 7 times!!!!

:kingkong:

It's called being hungry.

We're hungry. This game is serious and important to us. Hopefully every one of the 16 regular season games this season will be. Hopefully we don't get so amped up for the game that we go in too tight and choke. But we don't want to lose another season opener and we don't want to lose another divisional game.

If they aren't hungry, if they take us for granted, we will beat them so bad that THEY'RE going to have a carry-over that will last for several games and shake their confidence and lead to a next year SB loser type of season.

Just saying.

It's a big game for us, but not a big game for Indy. After we make the playoffs 8 seasons in a row, then we can downplay the significance of our openers. For now, every game is our most important game until we make the playoffs.

A game in week 1 means just as much as a game in week 17 at the end of the season. Add to the fact that it's against a division rival that owns us, and I can see why the franchise and fanbase is putting so much importance on the first game.

If we had won our first game last year, we most likely would have made the playoffs when you see how it played out.

Well, start the hype train up. Football season is here!! We get to see the Texans play this Saturday! I dont see how you are not hyped up about all of this. :foottap:

Oh, believe me, I'm friggin ready for football. I'm just not hyped for game 1 yet. I'll know when I start getting hyped, my BP slowly begins to over-power my meds and rise.

I don’t think you can over hype the importance of this game to the Texans and their goals for the season. As some mentioned, this is more than just one game, this one counts 4 fold. 1.) A win for the season. 2.) A win in the AFC South 3.) Taking a win away from the team expected to win the AFC South. 4.) A win against a team that has made us their B**** over the last 16 games. The Colts and the rest of the NFL can think what they want, but for me it’s a pace setter for the remainder of the season. They day we come out and smoke the opening game year after year we can be worried about it being “over hyped”. The fact that Saturday will not be in the line-up doesn’t bring me any tears (no ill will towards Saturday on the injury), as I’m in the mind set of get it done now. Sanders missing another game against us wouldn’t hurt either. I was at the game in Houston last year and felt that we had finally done it…then we blew it. This time we have to do it. We win this game, we are on an even playing field going forward…we lose it, and it’s an uphill battle again. If this season is a time for change, winning this game is a change…losing it is only what everyone else is expecting.

This is a big game. Like Kubiak says it counts twice. As far as I am concerned it sets the tone for you season.....Hype it up ....hype it up......lets go.....crank it up ...for sure......

Kubiak would know. He has never coached the Texans to a winning division record. He has been owned in our division.

It's called being hungry.

We're hungry. This game is serious and important to us. Hopefully every one of the 16 regular season games this season will be. Hopefully we don't get so amped up for the game that we go in too tight and choke. But we don't want to lose another season opener and we don't want to lose another divisional game.

If they aren't hungry, if they take us for granted, we will beat them so bad that THEY'RE going to have a carry-over that will last for several games and shake their confidence and lead to a next year SB loser type of season.

Just saying.

What have you possibly seen from the Colts to suggest any of that will happen? It is the season opener & division game for Indy too. They will be ready to play. Houston can certainly win but if they do, it will not be due to the Colts overlooking them.

I'd rather the team be over hyped about the game than under hyped.

In fact, I'd be totally cool with the team taking a Ray Lewis 'super hyped' attitude into every game they play...

I don't understand the concept of a team being over hyped for a football game...Doesn't make much sense to me...

"This is not a Must Win. This is a Must ______ Well situation..." :mcnugget:

Fill in the blank. And name the former Texans player who said it.

I will never forget that quote. LOL.

"play" and HWSNBM. Vinny, I, and a few others tend to throw it out there on occasions. By the way - where is Vinny, the season is back.

</thread hijack>

Good - I hope it is hyped up at least on our side. Perhaps that'll get the team and coaches ready to rock it game ONE and not halfway through the season.

What have you possibly seen from the Colts to suggest any of that will happen? It is the season opener & division game for Indy too. They will be ready to play. Houston can certainly win but if they do, it will not be due to the Colts overlooking them.

Do you understand the word "if"?

Look, I'm just tired of dropping home openers. Walking up the ramps at Reliant on opening day is electric. Everyone is excited. People are yelling and screaming.

Three hours later...it's like a funeral march walking out.

I'm tired of it. Colts or not, just win on the first day, for pete's sake.

Well, I think we must at least split with the Colts for confidence sake. So that means winning here is very important.
It is a huge game and can't be over hyped

Quite clearly. Question still stands - what is there to suggest Colts overlooking the Texans will/may happen?

I don't think the Colts and particularly Manning will overlook the Texans at all. If anything, I'd say this anonymous chatter is nervousness.

Quite clearly. Question still stands - what is there to suggest Colts overlooking the Texans will/may happen?

If you understood that I said "if", then you'd understand why your question is invalid. I didn't say that the Colts WERE overlooking us. I didn't even say that they MAY overlook us, I said IF they overlook us.

An anonymous Colt source said that the Texans were placing too much emphasis on our season opener. Let's replay that in case you missed it:

"It's like the most important game in the history of their franchise, from what we're hearing out of there,'' one Colts veteran told Peter King of Si.com. "They might be putting a little too much emphasis on it.''

We think we're a much better team this year. We want to make the playoffs for the first time in our history. We're 1-15 against the Colts and last season, we were 1-5 against divisional opponents and we just missed the playoffs.

This is a very important game for us. We're very hungry. And if the Colts don't take the game seriously and if the Colts have that laissez faire attitude toward the season, then maybe this is their year to go down because they're not hungry enough.

Now, I ask you the same question, what is there to suggest that the Colts aren't overlooking us? Just because you've gotten used to them always winning?

Back