Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Colt Brennan.........Enough said!!!

Yokohama Texan

Practice Squad
Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan has thrown his 54th, 55th, 56th and 57th touchdown passes of the season Saturday in the Hawaii Bowl to break David Klingler's 16-year-old record for scoring tosses in a season. 559 yards passing and that was against ASU. This dude is awsome. I have been watching him all year and I hope the Texan organization has been also. He is what we need.

Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan has thrown his 54th, 55th, 56th and 57th touchdown passes of the season Saturday in the Hawaii Bowl to break David Klingler's 16-year-old record for scoring tosses in a season. 559 yards passing and that was against ASU. This dude is awsome. I have been watching him all year and I hope the Texan organization has been also. He is what we need.

he isn't going to go pro till next year

lol, yea like the bengals needed david klingler right. don't fall in love with numbers please.

He'll be 1st round, but he needs to add some weight because of lanky frame (only about 195) and obviously has to shake the "system QB" label. I feel he can be a good QB, but it would take a year or two for him to get accustomed to the NFL and having fewer targets to throw to.

He'll be 1st round, but he needs to add some weight because of lanky frame (only about 195) and obviously has to shake the "system QB" label. I feel he can be a good QB, but it would take a year or two for him to get accustomed to the NFL and having fewer targets to throw to.

He had arguably the best year ever for a college QB (statistically speaking anyways) but he still isn't a 1st rounder. He has very good accuracy and generally makes good decisions, but he doesn't have an overly big arm, he isn't especially mobile, doesn't have ideal size, and he plays in a pansy conference. He could end up being a very solid QB (if I were to compare him to a current NFL QB I would say a poor man's Drew Brees or maybe a Chad Pennington) but he won't be a 1st rounder, at least not this year. Brady Quinn, Troy Smith, JaMarcus Russell (if he comes out) and probably Brian Brohm (also if he comes out) are all definitely better prospects (along with maybe Drew Stanton, Kevin Kolb or Jordan Palmer), and there is no way that many QBs go in the 1st round. Hawaii has never had a QB drafted at all (Timmy Chaing is the most prolific QB in NCAA D-1 history and he went undrafted and to the best of my knowledge is no longer on a team), not to mention there aren't all that many teams in the league that need a QB desperately enough to use a 1st round pick on one.

brennan is a first rounder. believe it. scouts, coaches and our boy mel kiper are all raving about him. his stats are icing on the cake to his abilities. he'll go in the first round ahead of troy smith.

Aaron Rodgers was a first rounder as well...I don't doubt he'll go in the first round, but the sidearm delivery and the speed of the offense is scaring me away from the guy. He should, however, go in the later first, which should land him on a better team that should help his development.

an odd delivery rarely affects draft position. vince young, philip rivers, david carr....it's always talked about, but ultimately, teams seem to ignore it with top prospects.

extremely fast delivery, great arm, great field vision, astounding numbers not only in yardage and TD's, but also with completion % and passer rating (unlike most run n gun QB's)....the main issue with him with scouts is his size.

i personally wouldn't take him in the first, as i don't take any QB's in a system like that in the first. that's kind of a crazy theory of mine, but i'm weary with that position. it's just a different mentality going from what he knows with june jones' offense to what any NFL offense is like. at hawaii, you pass on every down. plain and simple. the thought is that you can go downfield on any given play. and you probably COULD go downfield on any play in that offense, because the distribution of passes to the under routes allows those plays to open up, and that's just not what you'll see in the NFL.

I would not be surprised if he were considered "first round" talent after that performance, but I just don't see it. I see a 2nd rounder in him. JMO.

brennan is a first rounder. believe it. scouts, coaches and our boy mel kiper are all raving about him. his stats are icing on the cake to his abilities. he'll go in the first round ahead of troy smith.
Two words - Timmy Chang

system qb. I'd bet he isn't taken first day, if at all.

he'll go back to school and try to put up similar numbers next year and give himself a legitimate chance @ being a first rounder next year and heisman candidate.

Colt Brennan should be a solid backup QB in the NFL, but I don't see him as a starter-caliber guy, especially early in his career. It will take a long time to adjust to the NFL from that kind of system. I don't see any team using a 1st or 2nd round pick on a guy that shuold project out as a career backup, I'd be hard pressed to use a 3rd rounder on him either, but depending on when that annual run on QBs starts he could sneak into the 3rd round. Maybe if he stays around another year he'd be considered a 1st round talent, but playing for Hawaii and in that system I just don't know if a lot of teams will ever take his numbers seriously enough to grade him that high (hard to improve much on 5549 yards and 58 TDs).

Good! Maybe Troy Smith will fall to the Texans in the second round. I would take him ahead of Timmy Chang, B.J. Symons, Cliff Kingsbury, David Klinger, or even Andre Ware. Not that I'm implying that some guys put up great numbers because of a system...:stirpot:

I would say he looks at his options, who else declares & listen to the draft advisory board (unless he declares he cannot have an agent).

From a scouting viewpoint I don't like his mechanics, sidearm motion, setting or planting his feet which affects his velocity & concerns about his eye level (standing tall in the pocket) down the field with taller lineman in front of him. lastly he would have to adjust to differnet schemes in the NFL & would need to be groomed, would take time & bury him on the depth chart.

Two words - Timmy Chang

system qb. I'd bet he isn't taken first day, if at all.
several words - what the hell does timmy chang have to do with brennan aside from the logo on the helmet? look at the numbers. look at the players. completely different in every regard.

if you're going just by the system, then vince young = michael bishop, kordell stewart, scott frost....

I would say he looks at his options, who else declares & listen to the draft advisory board (unless he declares he cannot have an agent).

From a scouting viewpoint I don't like his mechanics, sidearm motion, setting or planting his feet which affects his velocity & concerns about his eye level (standing tall in the pocket) down the field with taller lineman in front of him. lastly he would have to adjust to differnet schemes in the NFL & would need to be groomed, would take time & bury him on the depth chart.

I've heard a couple different times on ESPN in the last day or two that Brennan plans to stay in school unless he gets a strong feel that one or more teams really like him and he'd be a high pick (as in at least in the 1st round), so I'm not counting on him coming out.

several words - what the hell does timmy chang have to do with brennan aside from the logo on the helmet? look at the numbers. look at the players. completely different in every regard.

if you're going just by the system, then vince young = michael bishop, kordell stewart, scott frost....
System...:marionaner:

...but you're right, he's no Timmy Chang or Ty Detmer. He doesn't play in all 4th quarters to pad his stats like Detmer or Peyton Manning.

look deeper at the numbers. no run n gun system QB has ever been as accurate as brennan or had a QB rating like brennan. the run n gun has a lot of yards and a lot of TDs, but also a lot of picks and incompletions. brennan is going against the grain there.

nope, but he said he would check with the advisory board immediately after the bowl game. probably won't say anything for a while.

Back