Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

College Football Random Thought of the Day

Yeah, Notre Dame is a wildcard. If they want to be in an expanded SEC or Big 10 for that matter, they can choose.

Reactions: JB
I bet they go Big 10.

Notre Dame may want a conference they’d have the best chance to dominate. ACC and BIG 10 have too much talent to compete with annually.

I’d like to see the BIG 12 throw their hat into the ring and try to lure ND in. BIG 12 (BIG 16) could be an attractive destination b/c the competition would be good enough to maintain rankings and ND would benefit by getting game time in Texas. Doesn’t hurt them from a recruiting angle. The conference would have a solid religious foundation being that they’d have TCU, ND, and BYU. Might as well send an invitation to SMU if the expansion would go to 16 teams. ND would also bring enough relevance to the conference to keep them in the Power 5.

Last edited:
I’m like everyone else in the college football world, I am totally stoked about the upcoming rivalry between USC and Rutgers. Those games will be epic and will soon replace the Ohio State-Michigan and Alabama-Auburn games in terms of tradition and pageantry. I just hope I’m lucky enough to score tickets to that first historic game.

I’m like everyone else in the college football world, I am totally stoked about the upcoming rivalry between USC and Rutgers. Those games will be epic and will soon replace the Ohio State-Michigan and Alabama-Auburn games in terms of tradition and pageantry. I just hope I’m lucky enough to score tickets to that first historic game.
:thinking:

:gamer:

Part of O'Brien's News Conference:

Alabama offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien on Sunday addressed why he returned for a second season with the Tide despite potential NFL opportunities opening this past offseason.

“I made a commitment to Coach Saban,” O’Brien said. “Those things come up relative to what your role is in different programs, where you’ve been. I’ve been doing this a long time and I’ve had various roles in coaching, so obviously, those things come up. But I made a commitment to Coach Saban. I love coaching here. The players, the coaching staff, it’s been -- like I said in the opening statement here -- it’s been a really good experience. I’ve learned a lot. I’m very appreciative of Coach for giving me this opportunity.”

Sunday was a rare opportunity for reporters to pose questions to O’Brien, who was hired last year after being fired by the Houston Texans. Saban allows his coordinators to speak once in early August and not again until bowl games.

In the time since O’Brien last held a news conference ahead of the national championship game in January, the 52-year old coach interviewed for the Jacksonville Jaguars’ head-coaching vacancy and was also the subject of persistent speculation for the New England Patriots’ offensive coordinator job. The Jaguars eventually hired Doug Pederson, while the Patriots did not formally name a replacement for Josh McDaniels after he was hired by the Las Vegas Raiders. O’Brien, a Boston native, served as the Patriots’ offensive play-caller from 2009-11 before two seasons as Penn State’s head coach and six as the Texans’. Despite winning the AFC South division four times, O’Brien was fired after an 0-4 start in 2020.

You know, it was one of those things where when you get fired in coaching, you find out really right away that maybe you didn’t have as many friends as you thought you did have,” O’Brien said Sunday. “And I think when Coach Saban reached out to me and talked to me about this job as they were getting ready for the national championship game, I didn’t feel like — as I talked about it to my wife, Colleen, and our family — I didn’t think it was anything I could pass up. To have the opportunity to work for the great college coach of all time — arguably one of the greatest coaches of any sport — I don’t think you could pass that up.

“To learn from him, to come into this program and see how he does things, to be an offensive coordinator again with a lot of great players and a great coaching staff, that wasn’t anything that I could pass up. And so we talked about it for about a day and we decided that that was the best decision for our family.”

O’Brien signed a two-year contract with Alabama, and Boston Sports Journal reported in April that O’Brien made a “two-year commitment” to Saban. The outlet also reported Patriots coach Bill Belichick’s longstanding relationship and respect for Saban made the Patriots hiring O’Brien away from Alabama unlikely. O’Brien was seen talking to Belichick and Patriots assistant Matt Patricia at Alabama’s pro day in Tuscaloosa in March, and ESPN reported that O’Brien visited New England for Patriots organized team activities later in the spring. New England has a pair of offensive staffers with Alabama connections in quarterbacks coach Joe Judge, a former Saban special teams assistant from 2009-11, and running backs coach Vinnie Sunseri, a former Tide player who also served as a graduate assistant in 2019.

O’Brien on Sunday did not dismiss the possibility of becoming a head coach again.

“If that’s something that’s down the road for me -- again like I said earlier, I’m very focused on trying to improve this offense each and every day and work with the coaching staff to get better -- but if I’m fortunate enough to have that opportunity again -- and who knows if that will come down the pipe -- but if it is, this will be an amazingly invaluable experience for me,” he said. “Because you’re able to watch coach every single day work with us as a coaching staff, work with the players, work with the support staff and the process is something that he talks about a lot and you learn about the different processes within the program, and I think that’s something that has been invaluable to me and it’s something that I’ll hold dear to me for the rest of my career, this experience here.”

Alabama offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien on Sunday addressed why he returned for a second season with the Tide despite potential NFL opportunities opening this past offseason.

“I made a commitment to Coach Saban,” O’Brien said. “Those things come up relative to what your role is in different programs, where you’ve been. I’ve been doing this a long time and I’ve had various roles in coaching, so obviously, those things come up. But I made a commitment to Coach Saban. I love coaching here. The players, the coaching staff, it’s been -- like I said in the opening statement here -- it’s been a really good experience. I’ve learned a lot. I’m very appreciative of Coach for giving me this opportunity.”

Sunday was a rare opportunity for reporters to pose questions to O’Brien, who was hired last year after being fired by the Houston Texans. Saban allows his coordinators to speak once in early August and not again until bowl games.

In the time since O’Brien last held a news conference ahead of the national championship game in January, the 52-year old coach interviewed for the Jacksonville Jaguars’ head-coaching vacancy and was also the subject of persistent speculation for the New England Patriots’ offensive coordinator job. The Jaguars eventually hired Doug Pederson, while the Patriots did not formally name a replacement for Josh McDaniels after he was hired by the Las Vegas Raiders. O’Brien, a Boston native, served as the Patriots’ offensive play-caller from 2009-11 before two seasons as Penn State’s head coach and six as the Texans’. Despite winning the AFC South division four times, O’Brien was fired after an 0-4 start in 2020.

You know, it was one of those things where when you get fired in coaching, you find out really right away that maybe you didn’t have as many friends as you thought you did have,” O’Brien said Sunday. “And I think when Coach Saban reached out to me and talked to me about this job as they were getting ready for the national championship game, I didn’t feel like — as I talked about it to my wife, Colleen, and our family — I didn’t think it was anything I could pass up. To have the opportunity to work for the great college coach of all time — arguably one of the greatest coaches of any sport — I don’t think you could pass that up.

“To learn from him, to come into this program and see how he does things, to be an offensive coordinator again with a lot of great players and a great coaching staff, that wasn’t anything that I could pass up. And so we talked about it for about a day and we decided that that was the best decision for our family.”

O’Brien signed a two-year contract with Alabama, and Boston Sports Journal reported in April that O’Brien made a “two-year commitment” to Saban. The outlet also reported Patriots coach Bill Belichick’s longstanding relationship and respect for Saban made the Patriots hiring O’Brien away from Alabama unlikely. O’Brien was seen talking to Belichick and Patriots assistant Matt Patricia at Alabama’s pro day in Tuscaloosa in March, and ESPN reported that O’Brien visited New England for Patriots organized team activities later in the spring. New England has a pair of offensive staffers with Alabama connections in quarterbacks coach Joe Judge, a former Saban special teams assistant from 2009-11, and running backs coach Vinnie Sunseri, a former Tide player who also served as a graduate assistant in 2019.

O’Brien on Sunday did not dismiss the possibility of becoming a head coach again.

“If that’s something that’s down the road for me -- again like I said earlier, I’m very focused on trying to improve this offense each and every day and work with the coaching staff to get better -- but if I’m fortunate enough to have that opportunity again -- and who knows if that will come down the pipe -- but if it is, this will be an amazingly invaluable experience for me,” he said. “Because you’re able to watch coach every single day work with us as a coaching staff, work with the players, work with the support staff and the process is something that he talks about a lot and you learn about the different processes within the program, and I think that’s something that has been invaluable to me and it’s something that I’ll hold dear to me for the rest of my career, this experience here.”

I really, really dislike Bill O'Brien.

Good interview. Comes across honest & humble.

If it's all about money - even though fans, media, pundits, players, coaches, literally just about everyone has been in favor of it - then why has the ncaa been so continuously reluctant, until just now, to do so?

In the time since O’Brien last held a news conference ahead of the national championship game in January, the 52-year old coach interviewed for the Jacksonville Jaguars’ head-coaching vacancy and was also the subject of persistent speculation for the New England Patriots’ offensive coordinator job.
Didn't know he was only 52, he looks mid 60s. Hope he has learned to deal with stress better.

As I posbetween ted earlier in the college football thread, playoff teams will be expanded to 12 sometime between 2024 and 2026. This greedy "money grab" could really turn into one heck of a mess with its unexpected consequences.

2-team college playoff raises plenty of NFL-related questions
Posted by Mike Florio on September 2, 2022, 4:42 PM EDT

The powers-that-be in college football reportedly have decided to expand the college football playoff from four teams to a full dozen. That will expand the questions and potential headaches for the NFL and the players expecting to make the league the next stop in their football careers.

The details have yet to be figured out. A 12-team playoff points to an eleven-game tournament, with eight teams competing in a first-round that narrows the field to eight, followed by a round that cuts the field to four, a round that produces two, and the final championship game.

It means that at least two teams will play at least three more games. It also means that two teams can play as many as four more games.

That means, at the most obvious level, more chances for players to get injured, as they are just about to finally move to a level of football for which they are directly paid for the efforts, abilities, and sacrifices.

Beyond the obvious question of enhanced injury risk, the extra games will shrink the amount of time that players have to prepare for the Scouting Combine and other pre-draft activities. The NFL at some point may have to delay the annual gathering of incoming players to account for that fact.

More pressure will be placed on the overall system to pay players, beyond the NIL money that they are now permitted to earn. As the pie keeps growing and growing and growing, the failure to share it with players will become more and more and more conspicuous.

Some will say that an expanded playoff will reduce the number of players who will skip postseason games, since fewer of them will be meaningless. For some, however, the prospect of playing up to four more postseason games could cause them to tap out of the tournament altogether. Some players could possibly skip the opening round and then, if the team advances, rejoin the competition as it gets closer to the championship round.

Some players could even tie their willingness to keep going to a spike in their NIL money. It’s not as crazy as it sounds. A star player who is poised to enter the draft doesn’t want to risk his health or compromise his preparation. So he suggests he won’t play in the playoff. Fans and boosters mobilize to flood him with NIL money. He changes his mind.

Perhaps, in time, players will be more blatant about tying their willingness to keep playing in exchange for getting X number of dollars.

However it plays out, adding eight more playoff games to the three already being played will alter certain dynamics and raise certain questions and lead to certain consequences of which those college football executives who are simply chasing bigger and better are either uncertain or completely unaware.

More pressure will be placed on the overall system to pay players, beyond the NIL money that they are now permitted to earn. As the pie keeps growing and growing and growing, the failure to share it with players will become more and more and more conspicuous.

Some will say that an expanded playoff will reduce the number of players who will skip postseason games, since fewer of them will be meaningless. For some, however, the prospect of playing up to four more postseason games could cause them to tap out of the tournament altogether. Some players could possibly skip the opening round and then, if the team advances, rejoin the competition as it gets closer to the championship round.

Some players could even tie their willingness to keep going to a spike in their NIL money. It’s not as crazy as it sounds. A star player who is poised to enter the draft doesn’t want to risk his health or compromise his preparation. So he suggests he won’t play in the playoff. Fans and boosters mobilize to flood him with NIL money. He changes his mind.

Perhaps, in time, players will be more blatant about tying their willingness to keep playing in exchange for getting X number of dollars.
*quoted text is from the Florio article CnD linked

i've got no problems with that
that's how the real world works
college is not neverland

"NIL money that they are now permitted to earn"
ownership of my Name Image & Likeness?
gee, thanks mister!
1662174164978.png

Last edited:
Georgia and this Stetson Bennett kid….making himself so money. Georgia looks like they trying to go back to back. Oregon looks overmatched.

As I posbetween ted earlier in the college football thread, playoff teams will be expanded to 12 sometime between 2024 and 2026. This greedy "money grab" could really turn into one heck of a mess with its unexpected consequences.

2-team college playoff raises plenty of NFL-related questions
Posted by Mike Florio on September 2, 2022, 4:42 PM EDT

The powers-that-be in college football reportedly have decided to expand the college football playoff from four teams to a full dozen. That will expand the questions and potential headaches for the NFL and the players expecting to make the league the next stop in their football careers.

The details have yet to be figured out. A 12-team playoff points to an eleven-game tournament, with eight teams competing in a first-round that narrows the field to eight, followed by a round that cuts the field to four, a round that produces two, and the final championship game.

It means that at least two teams will play at least three more games. It also means that two teams can play as many as four more games.

That means, at the most obvious level, more chances for players to get injured, as they are just about to finally move to a level of football for which they are directly paid for the efforts, abilities, and sacrifices.

Beyond the obvious question of enhanced injury risk, the extra games will shrink the amount of time that players have to prepare for the Scouting Combine and other pre-draft activities. The NFL at some point may have to delay the annual gathering of incoming players to account for that fact.

However it plays out, adding eight more playoff games to the three already being played will alter certain dynamics and raise certain questions and lead to certain consequences of which those college football executives who are simply chasing bigger and better are either uncertain or completely unaware.
IMO, the NIL is just makeup for the the pig. The players should get paid real money off the billion dollar tv deals these universities are getting. The revenue sports pay for all the other non revenue sports which is ridiculous.

The players should get paid real money off the billion dollar tv deals these universities are getting.
So how does the distribution work? The 3rd string punter gets paid the same as the starting QB? Let's just remove the facade of these guys getting an education and move them off campus. They work for the university and sign employment contracts instead letters of intent. They can be traded. They can be fined. They can be cut.

So how does the distribution work? The 3rd string punter gets paid the same as the starting QB? Let's just remove the facade of these guys getting an education and move them off campus. They work for the university and sign employment contracts instead letters of intent. They can be traded. They can be fined. They can be cut.
In case you didn't know, scholarships are year to year. If I didn't perform to coaches liking, then they don't renew my scholarship. This is every university.

Notre Dame may want a conference they’d have the best chance to dominate. ACC and BIG 10 have too much talent to compete with annually.

I’d like to see the BIG 12 throw their hat into the ring and try to lure ND in. BIG 12 (BIG 16) could be an attractive destination b/c the competition would be good enough to maintain rankings and ND would benefit by getting game time in Texas. Doesn’t hurt them from a recruiting angle. The conference would have a solid religious foundation being that they’d have TCU, ND, and BYU. Might as well send an invitation to SMU if the expansion would go to 16 teams. ND would also bring enough relevance to the conference to keep them in the Power 5.
The ACC has too much talent? Since when? The only school they have is basically Clemson. Clemson has been packing that conference for almost 10 years now.

In case you didn't know, scholarships are year to year.
What does that have to do with what I said?

Have you heard of Title IX? Where federally funded institutions cannot discriminate on account of sexual identity? That's why the revenue that sports like football and mens basketball have to pay for the other sports. Removing football and even basketball from the designation of collegiate sports would reduce the universities obligations to female sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB
What does that have to do with what I said?

Have you heard of Title IX? Where federally funded institutions cannot discriminate on account of sexual identity? That's why the revenue that sports like football and mens basketball have to pay for the other sports. Removing football and even basketball from the designation of collegiate sports would reduce the universities obligations to female sports.
You stated they can be traded, cut, or fined in an earlier post. I stated the scholarship athlete is always in jeopardy of being cut by not given a scholarship. The scholarships are year to year. Of course there are always going to be uneven pay is something like this, but that's just what it is. I mean the pandemic has shown us just how important revenue producing sports are to the university in general. Universities cut out alot of programs because they weren't getting revenue from football and basketball. When you have coaches in college making 12m a year plus all the other perks, thats a problem, always have been one.

Listening to many NFL players' athletes interview, you have to wonder how many Dexter Manley's are out there.

From a 2019 article:

Academics

Along with a lack of income, many athletes are leaving school without an adequate education and minimal preparation for life after sports.

Ex-NFL player and Oklahoma State alumni Dexter Manley was illiterate after graduating from a four-year university. When asked to comment, the OSU academic advisor said, “we knew he couldn’t read a textbook... I agree we exploited Dexter for four years, but he exploited us. Coaches further their careers with players like Dexter, and players in turn groom themselves for pro ball.”

Situations such as Dexter’s are not uncommon. Mary Willingham, a graduate student at the University of North Carolina-Greensboro, conducted research on 183 athletes at UNC-Chapel Hill in 2012. She found 60 percent of the athletes read at between a fourth and eighth grade reading level and approximately 7 percent read below a third grade level.

Kevin Ross, a former basketball player at Creighton University in the late 1970s, is emblematic of the issues surrounding universities bringing in athletes who are not necessarily academically capable. He had an ACT score of 9 and an SAT of around 800, which is a far cry from the Creighton academic standards. The average admitted students SAT score is 1179 and their ACT score is 27, based on the most recent scoring standards.

While Ross was an athlete at Creighton, he was responsible for nothing academically. He did not have to open a book, do coursework and exams had the answers on it for him. During his senior year, the academic “aid” stopped, and Ross was forced to drop out of Creighton. Ross entered Creighton illiterate and left that way.

The academic experience of these athletes is no accident. Athletic eligibility is the team’s top priority, not the educational experience the players will receive if they are pushed in the classroom, risking lower grades.

Universities changing their academic standards and curriculum to ensure athlete eligibility goes far beyond individual athletes. Numerous cases of academic fraud amongst universities and their athletic departments have been uncovered.

Athletic eligibility is the team’s top priority, not the educational experience the players will receive if they are pushed in the classroom, risking lower grades.

An article in The Sport Journal examined whether revenue sports have a higher likelihood of academic fraud than non-revenue sports. The results showed 73.9 percent of all academic fraud reports are from football and men’s basketball programs.

In 2014, the University of North Carolina was accused of 18 years of academic fraud for offering student-athletes “paper classes.” After an eight-month investigation, Kenneth Wainstein, an attorney, reported at least 3,100 student-athletes took these fake classes to stay eligible.

Syracuse men’s basketball program was caught and sanctioned by the NCAA in 2005 for almost a decade of academic fraud. Head coach Jim Boeheim hired a director of basketball operations to fix the low grades of his athletes. The basketball staff emailed professors through the athlete’s emails, did their coursework and, in one instance, even submitted an assignment to fix a grade from a previous year. Upon being caught by the university and the NCAA, Syracuse was stripped of 109 wins and was banned from playing nine conference games the following year.

Southern Methodist University was put on a three-year probation with no postseason play in 2014 after an employee completed a summer online course for a basketball recruit, enabling him to be eligible for the upcoming season. This was not SMU’s first time running into issues with NCAA regulations. In 1987 the school received the death penalty after it was uncovered that the football team had been paying recruits. SMU is the only school in modern history to be given the death penalty.

And SMU will remain the only school to get the death penalty, even though bigger and more heinous infractions (and, in some cases, crimes) are committed by schools. Why?

Because enacting the death penalty will break the television contracts the schools and conferences have signed. And that would mean less money.

Listening to many NFL players' athletes interview, you have to wonder how many Dexter Manley's are out there.

From a 2019 article:

Academics

Along with a lack of income, many athletes are leaving school without an adequate education and minimal preparation for life after sports.

Ex-NFL player and Oklahoma State alumni Dexter Manley was illiterate after graduating from a four-year university. When asked to comment, the OSU academic advisor said, “we knew he couldn’t read a textbook... I agree we exploited Dexter for four years, but he exploited us. Coaches further their careers with players like Dexter, and players in turn groom themselves for pro ball.”

Situations such as Dexter’s are not uncommon. Mary Willingham, a graduate student at the University of North Carolina-Greensboro, conducted research on 183 athletes at UNC-Chapel Hill in 2012. She found 60 percent of the athletes read at between a fourth and eighth grade reading level and approximately 7 percent read below a third grade level.

Kevin Ross, a former basketball player at Creighton University in the late 1970s, is emblematic of the issues surrounding universities bringing in athletes who are not necessarily academically capable. He had an ACT score of 9 and an SAT of around 800, which is a far cry from the Creighton academic standards. The average admitted students SAT score is 1179 and their ACT score is 27, based on the most recent scoring standards.

While Ross was an athlete at Creighton, he was responsible for nothing academically. He did not have to open a book, do coursework and exams had the answers on it for him. During his senior year, the academic “aid” stopped, and Ross was forced to drop out of Creighton. Ross entered Creighton illiterate and left that way.

The academic experience of these athletes is no accident. Athletic eligibility is the team’s top priority, not the educational experience the players will receive if they are pushed in the classroom, risking lower grades.

Universities changing their academic standards and curriculum to ensure athlete eligibility goes far beyond individual athletes. Numerous cases of academic fraud amongst universities and their athletic departments have been uncovered.

Athletic eligibility is the team’s top priority, not the educational experience the players will receive if they are pushed in the classroom, risking lower grades.

An article in The Sport Journal examined whether revenue sports have a higher likelihood of academic fraud than non-revenue sports. The results showed 73.9 percent of all academic fraud reports are from football and men’s basketball programs.

In 2014, the University of North Carolina was accused of 18 years of academic fraud for offering student-athletes “paper classes.” After an eight-month investigation, Kenneth Wainstein, an attorney, reported at least 3,100 student-athletes took these fake classes to stay eligible.

Syracuse men’s basketball program was caught and sanctioned by the NCAA in 2005 for almost a decade of academic fraud. Head coach Jim Boeheim hired a director of basketball operations to fix the low grades of his athletes. The basketball staff emailed professors through the athlete’s emails, did their coursework and, in one instance, even submitted an assignment to fix a grade from a previous year. Upon being caught by the university and the NCAA, Syracuse was stripped of 109 wins and was banned from playing nine conference games the following year.

Southern Methodist University was put on a three-year probation with no postseason play in 2014 after an employee completed a summer online course for a basketball recruit, enabling him to be eligible for the upcoming season. This was not SMU’s first time running into issues with NCAA regulations. In 1987 the school received the death penalty after it was uncovered that the football team had been paying recruits. SMU is the only school in modern history to be given the death penalty.

And SMU will remain the only school to get the death penalty, even though bigger and more heinous infractions (and, in some cases, crimes) are committed by schools. Why?

Because enacting the death penalty will break the television contracts the schools and conferences have signed. And that would mean less money.

Athletes for college athletic programs (that generate large income) are nothing but financial gains with little invested against returns.

Been saying for years that an outside source needs to move their chips into scrum and announce they’ll pay players to develop their desired skills before moving into the professional ranks.

Businessmen and businesswomen have been competing with the wrong entity…..established professional sports. They need to turn their focus towards the young athletes who want to focus on their chosen sport 24/7 versus having to lie, cheat, or feel guilty b/c they’re not living up to the academic requirements of their institutions in order to maintain their eligibility.

With tuitions through the roof and athletic programs such as football and basketball returning big profits….college institutions are making out like fat cats.

The bold is spot on when we talk about the NCAA. In Division I there are approximately 11,000 football scholarships. Only 256 draft slots with about 750 more free agent signings. Most of the drafted players come from the top 25 maybe even the top 10-12 teams. I mean how many players do mid-tier teams like Texas Tech, Arizona, West Virginia, etc get drafted in a year?

So there are elite football talents and then the other 10,000 who are (or better should be) actual student-athletes. Both of my nephews were scholarship athletes and earned their degrees. granted both would have gone to college without the football paying for it, but in their cases, because they were not highly ranked, the message was to come play football, get four years of college, and give yourself a puncher's chance to play in the NFL.

With all the flaws in the system, there are way more dudes who understand football/basketball is access to formal education or dudes who figure out that they are not going pro and doing college is better than whatever their friends back home have happening at 20-21.

Two things: elite athletes for whom college is a farce representing the top 10 percent of players spread unevenly over 129 schools. 10,000 dudes who never go pro and should be true student-athletes.

Athletes for college athletic programs (that generate large income) are nothing but financial gains with little invested against returns.

Been saying for years that an outside source needs to move their chips into scrum and announce they’ll pay players to develop their desired skills before moving into the professional ranks.

Businessmen and businesswomen have been competing with the wrong entity…..established professional sports. They need to turn their focus towards the young athletes who want to focus on their chosen sport 24/7 versus having to lie, cheat, or feel guilty b/c they’re not living up to the academic requirements of their institutions in order to maintain their eligibility.

With tuitions through the roof and athletic programs such as football and basketball returning big profits….college institutions are making out like fat cats.
Quoted for truth

Last edited:
Here is the sad early story by the New York Times and Washington Post of Dexter Manley Sr. I thought some might find interesting.

THE EDUCATION OF DEXTER MANLEY

By Tom Friend
July 2, 1989

PRO FOOTBALL; For Manley, Life Without Football Is Impossible to Tackle

By Tom Friend
  • Feb. 26, 1995
Is it a universities obligation to try to make illiterate people try to graduate from college?

Is it a universities obligation to try to make illiterate people try to graduate from college?
It's the universities obligation to enforce scholastic requirements for all, athletes or not. Giving them a scholarship and allowing them to take up space paid for by others when they can't meet the standards is wrong. Period!

It's the universities obligation to enforce scholastic requirements for all, athletes or not. Giving them a scholarship and allowing them to take up space paid for by others when they can't meet the standards is wrong. Period!
Are these players bringing in more money to the university than a normal student. In fact many college graduates contribute little to society. So it doesn't bother me for colleges to not educate these guys. The tools are there for the players to get a degree if they want to get a degree. Fact is, the NIL has only changed the baseline for education/getting paid.

Are these players bringing in more money to the university than a normal student. In fact many college graduates contribute little to society. So it doesn't bother me for colleges to not educate these guys. The tools are there for the players to get a degree if they want to get a degree. Fact is, the NIL has only changed the baseline for education/getting paid.

This is exactly the reason I want to take some of these athletes away from the greedy little hands of CFB. Baseball does it and basketball in a roundabout way. Go after those HS athletes who want to play football first and foremost and give them a new league where they can compete and get paid. Athletes who want a college degree would certainly stay path in attending college and playing football. So, universities/colleges will still have their real "student/athletes, playing football and working towards a degree. Athletes in the new league would get to focus on football 24/7 and eventually be an UFA to sign with any NFL team of their choice. I guess that could be the one silver lining....circumventing the NFL Draft. Didn't Warren Moon take this same route to the NFL as an UFA from the CFL? Houston Oilers won the bidding war.

Last edited:
Back