Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Clowney, then what?

I think the biggest problem Clowney comes with is simply the potential effect it will have on the fan base. Three words. "Insane. Clowney. Posse".

Are we ready for a parking lot at Reliant teeming with face paint wearing "Juggalo" Texans fans? Is anyone ready for that? How do magnets work and can they be used to repel morons in face paint? These are important questions we'll be asking ourselves if Clowney is the pick.

Nice! lol!:d:

Watt can be the elephant... maybe not every down, but I would assume he'll be moved there some. But, not if Clowney and Mercilus are both on the team... That's my point.

I would have no problem with watt playing the elephant. I even suggested when RAC was first hired. The problem with your argument is that NO ONE OF IMPORTANCE has said that they would even consider Watt at OLB even occasionally.

And, I cannot imagine someone with RACs experience and knowledge not being able to figure out how to use to two guys as talented as Watt and Clowney in a passing league.

I think the biggest problem Clowney comes with is simply the potential effect it will have on the fan base. Three words. "Insane. Clowney. Posse".

Are we ready for a parking lot at Reliant teeming with face paint wearing "Juggalo" Texans fans? Is anyone ready for that? How do magnets work and can they be used to repel morons in face paint? These are important questions we'll be asking ourselves if Clowney is the pick.

so what your are saying is everybody come get down wit da Clown, cause the big oddity Freak Show's in town?

downwiththeClowney_zps3c71efba.jpg

I can dig it!

.@MikeSilver asks Jeff Fisher, "If it happened (Texans) did not select Clowney, you would not complain?” …

Fisher: “I would not complain."

jadeveon-clowney-johnny-manziel.gif

Clowney vs Manziel in the 40

Seen before. The problem is Clowney doesn't start to pull away until about 20 yards. On the field if he doesn't catch someone in the first 5 yards or so, he gives up and saves himself for the next play / game / season / contract.

Seen before. The problem is Clowney doesn't start to pull away until about 20 yards. On the field if he doesn't catch someone in the first 5 yards or so, he gives up and saves himself for the next play / game / season / contract.

BLA BLA BLA!!! YOU WILL LOVE THE :clown: WHEN HE STARTS DESTROYING QB'S.....

Well, he is almost a step ahead of MAnziel at the 10 yard line, and Manziel is a QB that`s really tough to catch. But Clowney athleticism was never in question. If you don`t like him, it won`t have anything to do with his speed.

Then you have no clue what a 3-4 SAM OLB is asked to do in the NFL. Please step away from the keyboard and quit posting immediately. :kitten: on the last part. Seriously though, Clowney would make the worst SAM ever. He'd have a 5 minute career. It's just absurd.

Yet to be determined if he plays sam or will but I guess we'll get a chance to see what kind of impact he makes. I'll get back with ya soon im sure.

BLA BLA BLA!!! YOU WILL LOVE THE :clown: WHEN HE STARTS DESTROYING QB'S.....

Hell , I was one of those against the taking him .... and I put him #1 in my mock.
He's head and shoulders the best physical prospect in this draft (Robinson is probably the closest and he went #2).

They got the best athlete and highest upside player in this draft .... and I still feel like its a failure because they haven't addressed the biggest position of need on the roster.
Moving up from 33 to get one of Manziel / Bridgewater and I don't feel this way. Maybe they change my mind tomorrow. Mallett wont do it for me tho.

Problem is , you have a first round graded QB in HWWNBM2 , Nix and 2-3 other 1st round graded players to choose from.
Many of us have been begging for a big NT for a decade .... Now's their chance to get one in Nix. But then .... what the hell do you do at QB ?!?

Is Garappolo still around at 3:1 , do you trade that pick and ?? to move back up to get HWWNBM2.0? Is it McCarron or Murray ?!

SMH .... it'll suck to lose a bunch of games 10-6 if they don't upgrade the QB position. :smiliepalm:

Problem is , you have a first round graded QB in HWWNBM2 , Nix and 2-3 other 1st round graded players to choose from.
Many of us have been begging for a big NT for a decade .... Now's their chance to get one in Nix. But then .... what the hell do you do at QB ?!?

Graded by... whom? Not the Texans.

I don't understand why people want to draft a QB that the coach doesn't think is going to be a good fit for his offense and waste a draft pick (possibly multiple draft picks) and then force this rookie QB into the lineup expecting to get anything other than what we got last year... or worse.

The QB position is the most important position in this league. So you don't just go out and draft any guy just because you need a QB or because someone who doesn't know you or your system has them rated as a 1st round prospect. If you do that, you end up with a Tim Couch or a David Carr or a Jamarcus Russell. If there's no good QB where you are drafting, you don't overdraft; you take what's there and you build the team to the point where you can win even without a great QB or at least to the point where you can go out and get that final piece and put him in a position to win.

EDIT: And you don't trade up to take a guy that you don't think merits moving up to get.

Taking Manziel or Bridgewater wasn't something that OB wanted to do. Didn't like em, didn't want 'em, didn't think he could win with 'em.

I'm fine with that.

Hell , I was one of those against the taking him .... and I put him #1 in my mock.
He's head and shoulders the best physical prospect in this draft (Robinson is probably the closest and he went #2).

They got the best athlete and highest upside player in this draft .... and I still feel like its a failure because they haven't addressed the biggest position of need on the roster.
Moving up from 33 to get one of Manziel / Bridgewater and I don't feel this way. Maybe they change my mind tomorrow. Mallett wont do it for me tho.

Is Garappolo still around at 3:1 , do you trade that pick and ?? to move back up to get HWWNBM2.0? Is it McCarron or Murray ?!

SMH .... it'll suck to lose a bunch of games 10-6 if they don't upgrade the QB position. :smiliepalm:

Just have to be patient and wait for the right situation to go after the right guy. Forcing it isn't going to help.

Graded by... whom? Not the Texans.

I don't understand why people want to draft a QB that the coach doesn't think is going to be a good fit for his offense and waste a draft pick (possibly multiple draft picks) and then force this rookie QB into the lineup expecting to get anything other than what we got last year... or worse.

The QB position is the most important position in this league. So you don't just go out and draft any guy just because you need a QB or because someone who doesn't know you or your system has them rated as a 1st round prospect. If you do that, you end up with a Tim Couch or a David Carr or a Jamarcus Russell. If there's no good QB where you are drafting, you don't overdraft; you take what's there and you build the team to the point where you can win even without a great QB or at least to the point where you can go out and get that final piece and put him in a position to win.

EDIT: And you don't trade up to take a guy that you don't think merits moving up to get.

Taking Manziel or Bridgewater wasn't something that OB wanted to do. Didn't like em, didn't want 'em, didn't think he could win with 'em.

I'm fine with that.

Im actually ok with mallet if the cost is between a 5 and 7 as reported by one source. Put a stellar team around the qb position THEN start saturation drafting qb's like gruden's wet dream over the next couple of years. Just average qb play last year would've got us 6-10.

Im actually ok with mallet if the cost is between a 5 and 7 as reported by one source. Put a stellar team around the qb position THEN start saturation drafting qb's like gruden's wet dream over the next couple of years. Just average qb play last year would've got us 6-10.

I'm OK with Mallet for a late round pick if that's all it is. I'm also OK with some of the late-round project QBs and/or one of the mid-round QBs that has warts (like Murray.)

I'm fine with that.

Not to argue with your overall point .... But OB isn't calling the shots here , that's Smith's job with input from OB , the position coaches and scouts. Ultimately Smith makes the call.

(Yes , I can say this with certainty)

Mallett for a 5-7 .... I would be Ok with. Mallett for a 2nd or 3rd .... Forget it.

I'm a little concerned that OB/Smith aren't convinced that Mallet is worth our 2nd. If he's ready to start in the NFL, surely he's worth our 2nd. Maybe they've got a good feel for the situation & are just bending Belichick over a little.

But I'm tired of making excuses for our QBs lack of arm strength, & trying to argue that good enough is good enough.

Yeah, I'll take smart over strong arm any day, but if at all possible I'd like both. Matt Schaub was smart. Matt Schaub could read defenses. Matt Schaub made good decisions with the ball.

I wish Matt Schaub could extend plays, maybe that's what a Bridgewater or Manziel would get you in respect to Schaub, but I'm not sold that either can be a smart as Schaub. Sure... Bridgewater read defenses at Louisville.. pssh.....

I'm not so sure deciphering the Ohio Bobcats defense prepared him for the NFL.

Still, if NFL teams respected Schaub's arm, maybe we'd have seen a little less enthusiasm on the blitzes... maybe we'd have seen Schaub get "all day" in the pocket.

Louis Nix has drawn comparisons to a young Casey Hampton and Vince Wilfork. He makes too much sense at pick #33 tonight. I'm just worried he seems like too much of a perfect fit with the Texans that they'll overthink it and end up passing on him. When something is too good to be true it probably is. I hope Rick Smith knows how awesome Louis Nix was at Notre Dame. I'm shocked he didn't go in the first round.

Bring on the Clown!

I don't think that Clowney is a perfect fit for Crennel's defense, but if we're selecting him then I trust that he will be used correctly. I have said all along that I think he is the most physically gifted athlete in the draft.

Louis Nix has drawn comparisons to a young Casey Hampton and Vince Wilfork. He makes too much sense at pick #33 tonight. I'm just worried he seems like too much of a perfect fit with the Texans that they'll overthink it and end up passing on him. When something is too good to be true it probably is. I hope Rick Smith knows how awesome Louis Nix was at Notre Dame. I'm shocked he didn't go in the first round.

Wayyy too much in the injuries there for me to feel comfortable taking Nix.

Back