Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Clayton: Pros/Cons Kubiak

Wolf

100% Texan
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2330164

Gary Kubiak, Houston Texans

What he has going for him: He gets the benefit of the doubt in the Houston area because he's a native. Homegrown talent always gets a free pass at the beginning. He's a bright coach who brings a lot of the West Coast offensive ideas that worked so well for Mike Shanahan. The offense's biggest problem has been protecting David Carr. If the Texans can make the right free agent moves, Kubiak should bring the right blocking scheme to keep Carr upright and viable in the offense.

The biggest issue: He's bringing in a lot of new, young coaches, so there might be a little bit of a learning curve for this group to overcome in the first season. That's why adding Mike Sherman to the offense would be a nice touch. Kubiak has always had the respect of the offensive players around him, but he will need to be more vocal as the leader of the entire franchise. Kubiak has normally been a quiet sort. Now, he's the face of the organization.

:cool:

Nothing eveyone on the board has already noted. I think the offensive side of the ball is set, with or without Mike Sherman we will be much better then last year, the only question is can we protect Carr, hmm, that sounds familiar.
I think the most important issue facing the Texans next season will be Richard Smith, if he does well, we could be shooting for 8-8, if not, I doubt we could be anywhere near this bad, but something like 6-10 would be likey. Anyway, dont expect any miracles next season, we have a young team and a young staff, everyone is in a new role and every player has to learn a new system. I expect we will start well (the first one of two games when everyone is pumped up), then fade a little as everyone faces the reality of a new system, then we should come on stronger to finish the season. Depending on how the scheduel works out, we could be looking at a great season (from our standpoint) or an average one, here's to the best!

Personally, I believe the biggest con is dealing with the inertia of losing--that was the biggest downside to anyone taking the Texans position. A new franchise has to get to the point where it expects to win and stops looking so ridiculous. 2002 and 2003 barely resembled NFL football, and wins we got were a play here or there. 2004 looked more like NFL stuff at times, but there wasn't much consistency in play. 2005, well, there isn't enough beer in the world to erase that season.

There is a reason why often good coaches cherry pick what jobs they are willing to take--it is easier to win if you go to a winning situation. Ask Larry Brown with the Knicks if he feels so great being home these days.

Kubiak chose to be here, but his hardest task is gonna be fixing a team with a lot of problems. You can say it was all coaching, but if you look at our personnel, and figure out which guys should really be NFL starters, you can see we still need a lot of depth--that some of our starters really should be backups and we need more playmakers on both offense and defense.

His biggest task is getting a team to look more like a team that is not a freaking joke or using training wheels or hoping to keep it close and eek out a win through dumb luck and the other team's mistakes. To give the team confidence and more tools.

Losing as much as our team did last season is completely demoralizing and erodes your faith in your teammates. Inertia is a beyotch, and it is hard to change the losing momentum and regain the faith that if you work hard and believe in a system and your teammates, you will win.

The second biggest con Kubiak is facing is something that could end up being a strength. There is little tradition in the organization and the owner, though well meaning, really doesn't seem to have a sense of how active he is going to be in managing the organization and what the power structure should be. Even if everyone is well meaning and wants to win, such confusion in the power structure can lead to battles over knowledge, and power and influence in the organization. These sorts of behind the scenes battles can distract from teamwork and focusing on the things that are important.

It is easier to come into an organization where those power structures have been in place for a while and everyone knows what to expect and what their established roles are.

All that being said, it could end up being a strength for a new coach coming in because if he realizes that this could be an issue, he can try to arrange things in a way that suits his eye. He can create his own traditions and power structures and way of doing things because there isn't already 10 or 20 years or so of this being the way we have always done things.

:twocents:

Kubiak has a lot of work in store for him and I wish him the bestest of luck.

:texflag:

Nice post TC. Usually I blaze right past most novels posted, but there is something about your sassy, trashy, obective takes with a Texan twist that makes it a must read.

As you implied he needs to put a stamp on this organization and begin to instill the concept of building a legacy. Every one and their mother are waiting for his next move with anticipation and can't wait to see at which pivotal moment the Kubiak effect takes hold.

Texans_Chick said:
Personally, I believe the biggest con is dealing with the inertia of losing--that was the biggest downside to anyone taking the Texans position. A new franchise has to get to the point where it expects to win and stops looking so ridiculous. 2002 and 2003 barely resembled NFL football, and wins we got were a play here or there. 2004 looked more like NFL stuff at times, but there wasn't much consistency in play. 2005, well, there isn't enough beer in the world to erase that season.

There is a reason why often good coaches cherry pick what jobs they are willing to take--it is easier to win if you go to a winning situation. Ask Larry Brown with the Knicks if he feels so great being home these days.

Kubiak chose to be here, but his hardest task is gonna be fixing a team with a lot of problems. You can say it was all coaching, but if you look at our personnel, and figure out which guys should really be NFL starters, you can see we still need a lot of depth--that some of our starters really should be backups and we need more playmakers on both offense and defense.

His biggest task is getting a team to look more like a team that is not a freaking joke or using training wheels or hoping to keep it close and eek out a win through dumb luck and the other team's mistakes. To give the team confidence and more tools.

Losing as much as our team did last season is completely demoralizing and erodes your faith in your teammates. Inertia is a beyotch, and it is hard to change the losing momentum and regain the faith that if you work hard and believe in a system and your teammates, you will win.

The second biggest con Kubiak is facing is something that could end up being a strength. There is little tradition in the organization and the owner, though well meaning, really doesn't seem to have a sense of how active he is going to be in managing the organization and what the power structure should be. Even if everyone is well meaning and wants to win, such confusion in the power structure can lead to battles over knowledge, and power and influence in the organization. These sorts of behind the scenes battles can distract from teamwork and focusing on the things that are important.

It is easier to come into an organization where those power structures have been in place for a while and everyone knows what to expect and what their established roles are.

All that being said, it could end up being a strength for a new coach coming in because if he realizes that this could be an issue, he can try to arrange things in a way that suits his eye. He can create his own traditions and power structures and way of doing things because there isn't already 10 or 20 years or so of this being the way we have always done things.

:twocents:

Kubiak has a lot of work in store for him and I wish him the bestest of luck.

:texflag:

Very well stated TC! That is exactly why I am going to be patient and let Kubes make the call on the draft, coaching staff, QB, etc. I have not heard one player from Denver trash or second guess him so far. I think him wanting Sherman speaks loads by itself. It tells me he has confidence in himself and will not be intimidated by a former head coach. This already gives me a good feeling about his ego. He does not only want to be a head coach....he wants to win and is willing to do whatever it takes. How refreshing! :stirpot:

I read on KFFL that Ted Cottrell is going to retire because he can't seem to find another job in the NFL. I know the Vikings defense wasn't that good, but do you think he could be a co-DC for us or maybe as an assistant somewhere else on the defense?

Kaiser Toro said:
Nice post TC. Usually I blaze right past most novels posted, but there is something about your sassy, trashy, obective takes with a Texan twist that makes it a must read.

As you implied he needs to put a stamp on this organization and begin to instill the concept of building a legacy. Every one and their mother are waiting for his next move with anticipation and can't wait to see at which pivotal moment the Kubiak effect takes hold.

Gracias. I never intend to write a book, but I am so durned obsessive and enthusiastic about this stuff that well, it gets outta hand.

At least I believe in paragraphs. :cool:

Sassy, trashy, objective and Texan--works for me. :texflag:

Back