Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Chron's McClain claims Texans are actively shopping Carr

So we might gain a draft pick from trading Carr...and then we'd ship it back to Denver for Plummer?

I hope Smith & Kubiak are smarter than that.

At this point, I'm all for drafting a QB and then actively shopping Carr during camp, pre-season, and regular season. It'll push David to get better (faster) so he can get over the top here in Houston OR so he can get out of Houston and get a gig somewhere else, and it'll push the drafted QB to develop faster because he knows the job is his as soon as he can get up to speed with the offense, etc.

I see no real "win" with trading David Carr as soon as free agency begins...especially if it is with the intent to acquire Plummer which will cost us a draft pick. Gaining a pick and then losing a pick sounds fairly dumm if you ask me. Shaving a few million off cap space is about the only positive...but is it even THAT much help, especially if Plummer is pricey and he would then incur cap hits on the same level as Carr?

Is anyone else here seeing that Jake Plummer is almost the same as David Carr?

Trade Carr, then package the pick with another pick (our second rounder maybe) to move back into the first round or very early second round to acquire a QB. Therefore, you only lost one pick (in essence) and you perhaps jetted yourself back into the higher levels of talent in the late first or very early second round.

Haven't we historically been awful in the second round? I know that was the Dumb & Dumber era and all, but I say we get us two high picks and then let the magic begin in round three like it did last year. I think the second round is perhaps the most dangerous area of the draft--It's guys that are not round 1 material, but yet MIGHT be better than round 3. And guys who ARE round 2 material (Spencer) end up being available in round 3. It's madness.

I called Smith earlier this afternoon and offered him two cases of Lonestar light and a 1lb jar of peanuts for Carr.

He wanted almonds, but there was no way I was going to go that high.

So we might gain a draft pick from trading Carr...and then we'd ship it back to Denver for Plummer?

I hope Smith & Kubiak are smarter than that.

At this point, I'm all for drafting a QB and then actively shopping Carr during camp, pre-season, and regular season. It'll push David to get better (faster) so he can get over the top here in Houston OR so he can get out of Houston and get a gig somewhere else, and it'll push the drafted QB to develop faster because he knows the job is his as soon as he can get up to speed with the offense, etc.

I see no real "win" with trading David Carr as soon as free agency begins...especially if it is with the intent to acquire Plummer which will cost us a draft pick. Gaining a pick and then losing a pick sounds fairly dumm if you ask me. Shaving a few million off cap space is about the only positive...but is it even THAT much help, especially if Plummer is pricey and he would then incur cap hits on the same level as Carr?

Is anyone else here seeing that Jake Plummer is almost the same as David Carr?

Trade Carr, then package the pick with another pick (our second rounder maybe) to move back into the first round or very early second round to acquire a QB. Therefore, you only lost one pick (in essence) and you perhaps jetted yourself back into the higher levels of talent in the late first or very early second round.

Haven't we historically been awful in the second round? I know that was the Dumb & Dumber era and all, but I say we get us two high picks and then let the magic begin in round three like it did last year. I think the second round is perhaps the most dangerous area of the draft--It's guys that are not round 1 material, but yet MIGHT be better than round 3. And guys who ARE round 2 material (Spencer) end up being available in round 3. It's madness.

Honestly all of the things that you talk about in your post don't mean much to me anymore....

At some point you have to cut your loses and move on the best you can...and it's that time...

It may not be the ideal or perfect situation, but I honestly believe if they go into the the season with Carr as the QB it will hurt our franchise more in the long run, than any cap space we waste getting rid of him. The whole Carr thing has become a plague, and it consumes so much time and energy. I think if Carr is traded then we will finally be able to move on as a franchise, and try to form a new identity. I hope they move him as soon as they can.

Not sure how this statement indicates any sort of trade might be imminent:

First, let me say that David is our starting quarterback,” general manager Rick Smith said today. “I’ve fielded some calls about some of our players, including a couple of inquiries asking whether David might be available.

Could just be posturing to make the deal worth as much as possible by indicating multipule teams asking or could be press bluster to settle down the fan base and even could be a plant in the press to generate inquiries. Like I have said before....everything is for sale, if the price is right. If they don't get the right price, I suspect they go into the season with Carr as the QB I doubt they move him without knowing what they are going to do after the move. A deal with say some sort of first day pick or a player and a second day pick....then they might move him, but not unless they are pretty sure they have someone else equal to or better to use. Might be a vet or it might be they plan to grab a high ranked rookie, but I doubt they move him just to move him or cut him for that matter.

“First, let me say that David is our starting quarterback,” general manager Rick Smith said today.

Kind of an aside...I listened to the podcast of the Mike Sherman interview from last month on 610.

He used those same words when they asked him about Carr.

I think Carr will be here next season until we hear otherwise from team officials.

McClain, for right or wrong, is just trying to get fans riled up with the possible hopes of moving the FO into action. But he should know from last year's draft that the Texans brass aren't swayed by the media or the public.

I think Carr will be here next season until we hear otherwise from team officials.

McClain, for right or wrong, is just trying to get fans riled up with the possible hopes of moving the FO into action. But he should know from last year's draft that the Texans brass aren't swayed by the media or the public.

DB, i'm going to start calling you the " MB soothe sayer". I agree with you whole heartedly.

“First, let me say that David is our starting quarterback,” general manager Rick Smith said today. “I’ve fielded some calls about some of our players, including a couple of inquiries asking whether David might be available.

Could just be posturing to make the deal worth as much as possible by indicating multipule teams asking or could be press bluster to settle down the fan base and even could be a plant in the press to generate inquiries. Like I have said before....everything is for sale, if the price is right. If they don't get the right price, I suspect they go into the season with Carr as the QB I doubt they move him without knowing what they are going to do after the move. A deal with say some sort of first day pick or a player and a second day pick....then they might move him, but not unless they are pretty sure they have someone else equal to or better to use. Might be a vet or it might be they plan to grab a high ranked rookie, but I doubt they move him just to move him or cut him for that matter.

The last part of your post is what I am feeling on this issue.

It's easy, as a fan, to get caught up in the emotional aspects of David Carr. But as a GM, you cannot look at it through the "Well, we just need to get rid of Carr no matter what" glasses. It is business, BIG BUSINESS, to the GMs and to the owner of NFL teams.

I will be disappointed if the FO compromises and gets rid of DC "just to move on" as some are wishing.

I, too, want something dynamic to happen...and I want it NOW. If the FO is not careful; however, it can cause the same problem at QB all over again. Was it then "worth it" to just have the same issues all over again?

Jake's name is being mentioned wayyyyyyyyyyy too much in all the various NFL rumor mills. IF our team is as interested in Plummer as it is being suggested recently, then I am afraid that we'll make the move to rid the team of Carr only to have Plummer come in and not be the better "option" that he's being touted as.

I think we can ride DC fairly deep into the regular season and then try to move him before the mid-season trade deadline. I would think we could even move him during camp so he can catch on with another team who isn't liking what they have at QB.

IMO, a DC trade is not best (for us) if it's at the beginning of free agency in March. Let teams sit there with the QBs they have, let them see how sparse the QB free agency market is, and THEN they'll look for DC as the draft gets nearer and they see that they can get a veteran upgrade at QB--and he IS an upgrade over Grossman and a few others btw--instead of wasting a pick on a QB that might not pan out.

Call me crazy, but I think Plummer becomes a Bear and Carr becomes a Viking or a Bucaneer by the time this is all over with. Vikes are reportedly interested in DC--Brad Johnson is not happy in Minnesota, and the rookie they have is pretty rough around the edges from what I have seen of him late in the 2006 season.

Tampa Bay is a place where I think there is still a cloud of mystery over who is going to be starting (is Simms healthy enough?) and who will be backing the starter up (Is the other guy even capable of being a backup there?). David's a beach guy, and Tampa would possibly be the best fit for him all the way around IMO.

I think the most likely scenario is that Johnson retires OR he goes to Tampa Bay where he re-unites with Gruden. DC then goes to Vikings. Or, DC goes to Tampa Bay. It seems like a fairly logical place for those guys, IMO.

Again, I hope hope hope that the Plummer speculation will never fully materialize into an actual transaction when it's all said and done. It doesn't feel like a good fit at all.

“First, let me say that David is our starting quarterback,” general manager Rick Smith said today. “I’ve fielded some calls about some of our players, including a couple of inquiries asking whether David might be available.

This is the same team, granted, under new management, that let Sharper, Foreman and Glenn go with absolutely NO compensation. Never say Never.

It would be nice to hear from Carr. This time last season, there were plenty of articles on him and the new coach, etc............
Haven't heard a peep out of him since the last game.

Honestly all of the things that you talk about in your post don't mean much to me anymore....

At some point you have to cut your loses and move on the best you can...and it's that time...

It may not be the ideal or perfect situation, but I honestly believe if they go into the the season with Carr as the QB it will hurt our franchise more in the long run, than any cap space we waste getting rid of him. The whole Carr thing has become a plague, and it consumes so much time and energy. I think if Carr is traded then we will finally be able to move on as a franchise, and try to form a new identity. I hope they move him as soon as they can.

Amen!!I've been saying this for awhile now. It has gone beyond the "can Carr play" phase. We have an owner who has questioned our QB play...finally. We have fans that debate until they are blue in the face. It has gone too far. If people think "competition" is going to make this better, they are completely folling themselves. The only thing another variable brings into this is the chance for even more people to choose sides. Carr fans will think he isn't getting a fair shake if he doesn't start and will make excuses or Carr will get booed and people will be calling for the backup. All it does is sets us back another year. For the sake of everyone involved they should cut the losses and move on with the hopes that both parties come out ahead and with a new perspective. Smith said this same thing weeks ago after it came out that Carr would be shipped. At this point it seems like he is trying to hike up the value. Ad this to the fact that Carr isn't deaf and dumb and he sees what McNair said. Let's move forward.

Well I guess I'm alone in my thoughts because I really do not think David will be here next year...

Well I guess I'm alone in my thoughts because I really do not think David will be here next year...

I'm not going that far yet. I think he should be gone next year. The team may even want him gone. Whether the right trade comes along is another story.

First the headline of this thread is bogus and misleading. McClain is making no such claims, he is just reporting what he has heard. To the contrary the Chronicle headline reads, Texans: Carr drawing some interest from other teams. Second, because a team(s) call with interest in player does not mean the Texans are actively shopping him. It means someone else is interested. IF the Texans were actively shopping then they would be the ones picking up the phone and doing the calling. The article does not state that. See how a little bias can skew an article and what it really says.

I'm not going that far yet. I think he should be gone next year. The team may even want him gone. Whether the right trade comes along is another story.

Personally I don't see any benefits of keeping Carr on the team other than financial issues.....At this point they should be willing to take the best offer...

What would we be doing besides saving some money if we kept Carr?

He doesn't make us better, I doubt he's a locker room leader that will destroy our team chemistry if he's gone....where are the perks ? I don't think it's worth it to keep him...not for David...not for us....

I doubt that he all of a sudden gets it and turns it on next season....I don't even think he'd be the starter all the way through...All we would have is a walking talking fumbling distraction...a distraction for the fans, ownership, the coaches, and the players....I really don't see David here next year, and I'm really hoping they trade him for ours and his sake...

First the headline of this thread is bogus and misleading. McClain is making no such claims, he is just reporting what he has heard. To the contrary the Chronicle headline reads, Texans: Carr drawing some interest from other teams. Second, because a team(s) call with interest in player does not mean the Texans are actively shopping him. It means someone else is interested. IF the Texans were actively shopping then they would be the ones picking up the phone and doing the calling. The article does not state that. See how a little bias can skew an article and what it really says.

Rick Smith was quoted as saying the Texans are shopping Carr, and McClain isn't the only one reporting this...I've heard it several times within the last hour....They said it was a public announcement....

Personally I don't see any benefits of keeping Carr on the team other than financial issues.....At this point they should be willing to take the best offer...

What would we be doing besides saving some money if we kept Carr?

He doesn't make us better, I doubt he's a locker room leader that will destroy our team chemistry if he's gone....where are the perks ? I don't think it's worth it to keep him...not for David...not for us....

I doubt that he all of a sudden gets it and turns it on next season....I don't even think he'd be the starter all the way through...All we would have is a walking talking fumbling distraction...a distraction for the fans, ownership, the coaches, and the players....I really don't see David here next year, and I'm really hoping they trade him for ours and his sake...

And I GUARANTEE the minute he is gone players will fess up and say "David's a great guy and we wish him the best but the drama of who will play and what about the QB had gotten to be a distraction." It is time to move on this.

Rick Smith was quoted as saying the Texans are shopping Carr.

Not sure how you got that out of the artical. He said has had calls from teams asking about players and Carr is one of them, but I didn't see anywhere he says they are calling teams or any way trying to move him. People calling yes, actively shopping....not that I read. Did I miss it?

Not sure how you got that out of the artical. He said has had calls from teams asking about players and Carr is one of them, but I didn't see anywhere he says they are calling teams or any way trying to move him. People calling yes, actively shopping....not that I read. Did I miss it?

I haven't even read the article...I'm about to though...

I heard that info. on the radio...

If that radio voice was Richard Justice, don't trust it. His hatred for Carr runs deep, even to the point of admitting he has night dreams of the team moving Carr. (kind of a weird thing to dream about, if you ask me...but hey, they're his dreams)

I think the FO is actively involved with head games, like 31 other teams right now. No way do they tip their hand at this point, especially to a big mouth like McClain.

“I’ve fielded some calls about some of our players, including a couple of inquiries asking whether David might be available.

This is disappointing, but expected. There just is not much interest for this guy. June 1st is the circled date on my calendar.

Funny, KT, because perception is an interesting thing. I thought it was a positive sign that more than one team would be interested in Carr. :winky:

It really has come down to that. Carr, on top of making little progress in 2006, is the face of a franchise that has never been able to get less than 2 games under .500 at the end of the year. I think change at least bring more hope, not that I dont have enough for 2007 anyway.

If that radio voice was Richard Justice, don't trust it. His hatred for Carr runs deep, even to the point of admitting he has night dreams of the team moving Carr. (kind of a weird thing to dream about, if you ask me...but hey, they're his dreams)

I think the FO is actively involved with head games, like 31 other teams right now. No way do they tip their hand at this point, especially to a big mouth like McClain.

I'm gonna start calling you mr. perspective....

No offense but I truely think that I heard on the radio a couple of months ago that the Astros just completed a deal to get John Garland from the White Soxs and we all saw that the deal was never completed.

Until I see Rick Smith on the NFL network saying the deal for DC is done, I'm not going to believe any idiots on the radio. Rich Lord and Charlie P. are idiots. They sit on the couch everynight just like you and I watch the games on the TV and then are on radio and express THEIR opinions. They have no inside scoops are special access to anybody in the front office.

Marc Van. seems to have more inside info on the Texans but he seems most of the times to scared to say anything, in fear for his job as the "Voice of the Texans".

These are all rumors to get you to talk about the Texans. If you should believe anything you should believe what Rick Smith says in his 1st line and that is
“First, let me say that David is our starting quarterback".

No offense but I truely think that I heard on the radio a couple of months ago that the Astros just completed a deal to get John Garland from the White Sox and we all saw that the deal was never completed.

These are all rumors to get you to talk about the Texans. If you should believe anything you believe what Rick Smith says in his 1st line and that is
that's kind of like the vote of confidence schottenheimer received at the end of the past season.

that's kind of like the vote of confidence schottenheimer received at the end of the past season.

But knowing the Spanos family (owners of the Chargers, if you didn't know) personally, Marty couldn't keep his mouth shout around AG Spanos's son and was fired for it. They both saw to different ways to run the team and Marty lost.

No offense but I truely think that I heard....... . If you should believe anything you should believe what Rick Smith says in his 1st line and that is

I agree with the points on some radio guys but I wouldn't say that front office guys are too much more credible this time of year. If anything I'd say the opposite. Actually we saw this same pattern right after the season...people talked about Carr leaving and what we needed to improve..Kubiak was hemming and hawwing about Carr needing to improve and then Smith stepped in and said the team had no plans to do anything. He is the alleged straight man in this act. He steps in so as not to tip the hand one way or another.

Like DB said....

The Texans are just playing mind games....

Not too long ago I think Bob McNair said the same thing....

Then he came back a little while later and basically refuted his own statement....

Funny, KT, because perception is an interesting thing. I thought it was a positive sign that more than one team would be interested in Carr. :winky:

A couple is two and that represents 6% of the league having interest. Does not surprise me and chaps my hide even more due to not allowing him to test the market last year and then re-signing under new terms, above market value, which would have been most likely less than the contract we are currently in.

A couple is two and that represents 6% of the league having interest. Does not surprise me and chaps my hide even more due to not allowing him to test the market last year and then re-signing under new terms, above market value, which would have been most likely less than the contract we are currently in.

Understandable, KT, but two is better than none, yeah? :winky:

We can't live in the past, bro'. What's done is done and we just have to live with the fact that we have a newbie owner that will [hopefully] learn from his experiences.

We can't live in the past, bro'. What's done is done and we just have to live with the fact that we have a newbie owner that will [hopefully] learn from his experiences.

I think you got to keep in mind that maybe 10 teams would be interested .

Not living in the past, but looking forward to June 1st. ;)

So I was thinking....

Why have the Texans all of a sudden been more outward with the fact that David is available ?

Maybe there haven't been any calls about David at all, and they're just trying to shake things up and get word out that he's available...

I think that most of the other teams in the market for a QB would rather have Plummer or Garcia anyway. Once they get snatched up, then I would think they would get more calls about Carr.

My question is not only bout Carr, but who are the other players that were asked if they are available. To me, this is pretty interesting too. I have 1 guy in mind and i would say Babin is drawing some attention. As for Carr, like some guys say i'm not going to believe it until i see it. I really can't decide on Carr right now, cuz i still believe the guy can be productive w/solid RB play and legit protection. But I'm also leaning to the fact that it might be time for a change. I will say this again, HELL-NO to plummer, this is not a upgrade whatsoever. I wouldn't care if he won SB's under Kubiak. This guy lost his starting qb job to a rookie for a reason, he's washed up.

First the headline of this thread is bogus and misleading.

When the Texans decide they want to test the market for a trade involving
David Carr (or any other player(s)), I don't think they sit down and fire off
an E-Mail to a team about their desire to trade a player and then copy all other NFL teams. I suspect their marketing tactics would be a more subtle and sophistcated than that.
Like talking to intermediators behind the scenes, or granting interviews to local sports reporters about conversations they are having with other teams about fielding inquirers and questions about the player, and acting as if they (the Texans) are mildly indifferent all the time.

Back