Chronic: Texans up front about line's role in improving defense

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans34Life, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4884817.html

2. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

When you look at the fact that the Texans have picked a defensive lineman in the first round of the last four drafts, something has to be in the mix to improve.

Our entire defensive philosophy, like most teams, revolves around putting consistent pressure on the pocket. Certainly we'd like to see these guys stop the run, but getting to the opposing QB is key to helping our coverage and establishing a blitz that actually works.

We've got a lot of potential...obviously, we should with four first round picks stocking up the line. But the line is something that has to be proven under fire, and I am less inclined to drink any battle-red koolaide and be blindly optimistic until these guys show us something.

I do not expect Pro Bowl performances, as Mario and especially Okoye will still be learning how to be an NFL defensive lineman. But I do think it is reasonable to expect some signs of greatness and clear indications that we're on the right track. Only regular season time will tell.