Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[CHRONIC] Texans hope to host Cowboys in preseason

Texans34Life

I BLEED TEXANS!
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texans/6925340.html

ORLANDO, Fla. -- It looks as if the Texans are going to host the Dallas Cowboys two times next season.

Although it hasn't been announced by the NFL, which sets preseason schedules, expect the Cowboys to visit Reliant Stadium in the third preseason game. The Texans and Cowboys played a home-and-home preseason series until last year.

"We still haven't heard anything official, but I hope it's true," owner Bob McNair said. "I think it'll be great. I always want to play the Cowboys every year. We did up until last year, and we hope to again, starting next preseason. I think we should play them every year."

The Cowboys are splitting training camp between San Antonio and California. On their way home from California, they're expected to come to Houston to play.

Owner Jerry Jones told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram recently that he expected the Cowboys to play a preseason game at Houston.

As always, the Texans will close preseason against Tampa Bay. That game will be at Reliant Stadium. The first two games against an opponent to be determined and the New Orleans Saints will be played on the road.

The Texans will host the Cowboys during regular season. The date and time won't be announced until next month. It'll be the second time the Cowboys have played a regular-season game at Reliant Stadium. The Texans defeated them in the franchise's first game in 2002.

What the article doesn't mention is that since the Girls play the Bungles in the HOF game, it will be the Texans' 3rd preseason game............but the Girls' 4th preseason game. And as you know, the 3rd game is when the starters play the most, while the 4th game is when final looks at players which are most like not to be seen again or when looks at 2nd and 3rd stringers abound. So I doubt (despite a normal "rest" period prior to the 1st regular season game for the Girls) that there will be much that we will be able to walk away with concerning true analysis of this likely very skewed head to head talent.

What the article doesn't mention is that since the Girls play the Bungles in the HOF game, it will be the Texans' 3rd preseason game............but the Girls' 4th preseason game. And as you know, the 3rd game is when the starters play the most, while the 4th game is when final looks at players which are most like not to be seen again or when looks at 2nd and 3rd stringers abound. So I doubt (despite a normal "rest" period prior to the 1st regular season game for the Girls) that there will be much that we will be able to walk away with concerning true analysis of this likely very skewed head to head talent.
The Hall of Fame Game participants get 5 preseason games.

Good. I hope our first stringers run the score up thereby us developing a reputation for not backing down. I'm ready to sock 'em in the mouth. Twice.

Eff 'em.

The Hall of Fame Game participants get 5 preseason games.

Now that you bring it up........you're absolutely right.........gives them more games to have players injured.........and, for those avoiding injury, more wear and tear going into the regular season........

I want no part of the Cowboys twice.

Every time they come to Reliant, their fans as a group are donkeys. I have been threatened twice by Cowboy fans mostly because 1. I dared to wear Texans clothes at the Texans home stadium; 2. they were drunk a-holes. It wasn't because their teams lost because usually they lost after I was assaulted or nearly assaulted.

This time I'm not playing. I will totally narc a Cowboy fan on the narc text line if they give me any sort of trouble in my direction. Even though the Texans win, I really do not like the Cowboy fan behavior at Reliant.

Every time they come to Reliant, their fans as a group are donkeys. I have been threatened twice by Cowboy fans mostly because 1. I dared to wear Texans clothes at the Texans home stadium; 2. they were drunk a-holes. It wasn't because their teams lost because usually they lost after I was assaulted or nearly assaulted.

This time I'm not playing. I will totally narc a Cowboy fan on the narc text line if they give me any sort of trouble in my direction. Even though the Texans win, I really do not like the Cowboy fan behavior at Reliant.

Cowboy fans are some of the worst. My buddy has a card shop and I have been over there when he and I have almost came to blows with Cowpatty fans who run off at the mouth and think it's ok to threaten us or his other customers in the shop. It's actually kind of sad. Not many are actually cool. Steeler fans are for the most part just too cocky, not as a-holeish.

DITTO!!!! Once is enough!

Holy HECK. My password hasnt worked in 2 years, NOR did the password reset option? :headhurts: Now it randomly let me change the password. Once Casserly left town, he took my site membership with him!! lol

Not that it matters to anyone or anything here, just strange...I guess welcome myself back. Hope many posts can follow...

I VERY briefly went to Cowboys training camp in Oxnard, CA years ago for the heck of it. Even here in another state Cowboys fans are dillholes. You'd figure there'd be some dillhole dilution the further out they are, but nope.

the problem with the chronicle is that any common abbreviation i see of it (chron, chronic, whatever) always steers the mind towards some blessed botanical. that's no good because what i'm gonna read will ALWAYS be a disappointment.

what i'm trying to say is that our local print paper sucks and it's been in this miasmic state since The Houston Post died. a lack of competition can do terrible things to a voice.

Not this again...

Look, not all of us are like that. When I first joined this board I posted a thread about how I got a taste of what y'all were talking about but 3/4 Cowboys fans in attendance for that game were just there to root on their team, talk a little smack, and have fun.

Just like everyone else in the stadium.

Don't paint all Cowboys fans with the same broad brush. Especially the ones tailgating with you wearing the Schaub jersey and NFC East Champions hat ;)

The worst fans I have encountered to date are Niners fans. Waaay more *********gery than anything I saw from the drunkest of 'Boys fans.

Not this again...

Look, not all of us are like that. When I first joined this board I posted a thread about how I got a taste of what y'all were talking about but 3/4 Cowboys fans in attendance for that game were just there to root on their team, talk a little smack, and have fun.

Don't paint all Cowboys fans with the same broad brush. Especially the ones tailgating with you wearing the Schaub jersey and NFC Champions hat ;)

The worst fans I have encountered to date are Niners fans. Waaay more *********gery than anything I saw from the drunkest of 'Boys fans.

Not saying all Cowturd fans are like this, just alot of them.

Pass.

I'd almost rather play the Buccaneers again in the pre-season instead of the Cowboys twice in one year.

C'mon fellas we got bigger fish to fry here.
It amazes me how badly a lot of people in Houston want to beat the Cowboys.
I believe there's Texans fans who would trade a sweep of Indy for a single win
against the non-division/non-conference opponent Dallas ?
Let's get our prioritys straight, the teams we really should want and need to beat the most are AFC South teams and most of all the Colts, otherwise we're never going to make it to the playoffs.

C'mon fellas we got bigger fish to fry here.
It amazes me how badly a lot of people in Houston want to beat the Cowboys.
I believe there's Texans fans who would trade a sweep of Indy for a single win
against the non-division/non-conference opponent Dallas ?
Let's get our prioritys straight, the teams we really should want and need to beat the most are AFC South teams and most of all the Colts, otherwise we're never going to make it to the playoffs.

I hate the Colts, and want nothing more than to sweep them and the TicTacks. The Jags last year were an aberation, we own them. I, for one, just also really hate Cowpatties. Is it too much to ask for 6-0 in AFC South AND a win vs the Brokeback Mountain gang?

Not this again...

Don't paint all Cowboys fans with the same broad brush. Especially the ones tailgating with you wearing the Schaub jersey and NFC East Champions hat ;)

Agree. I've seen this stuff over and over and I've yet to see it in my lifetime. I've also have seen 20 times worse with Philly fan, Skins fan and many others against the Cowboys because, as many people know, there are alot of "haters." Still no full out fights. A few morons does not make a fanbase. I see many jackass Texans fans and no one calls them out. I'm told they are "spirited." I think this stuff goes too far on every fanbase.

If there are any fans less knowledgable than Cowboy fan I don't know who they are.

Are you serious? Have you listened to sports radio here? The reason why I love this board is you get the actual best of the best when it comes to talking sports. The people here are nice and know sports. If you listen to sports radio calls in town it is enough to make you want to end it all. Houston isn't really known for sports fandom. I know more of the Cowboy ilk that can go through their history and every player since the 70s and talk game day better than most. Just like people here.

Again, let's stop with the generalizations based on a few.

Agree. I've seen this stuff over and over and I've yet to see it in my lifetime. I've also have seen 20 times worse with Philly fan, Skins fan and many others against the Cowboys. A few morons does not make a fanbase. I see many jackass Texans fans and no one calls them out. I'm told they are "spirited." I think this stuff goes too far.

Are you serious? Have you listened to sports radio here? The reason why I love this board is you get the actual best of the best when it comes to talking sports. The people here are nice and know sports. If you listen to sports radio calls in town it is enough to make you want to end it all. I know more of the Cowboy ilk that can go through their history and every player since the 70s and talk game day better than most.

Not sure why you insist upon defending your fanbase... TC ain't lying, I'm not lying, and I'm sure others aren't exaggerating either... I extend an invite to any decent Cowboy fan to come spend a day with me.. Leave your paraphernalia at home, and wear Texans gear, I promise before our trip out in the public is done, you'll be assaulted verbally over and over by those "Few"... you'll find they aren't few, but many :) The "Few" are you, and those that post here, not the majority of Cowboy fans Frog.. promise :)

Scrwe it...they snubbed us LAST year in the pre-season. We should return the favor and beat te dog p:ss out of them in the regular season game this year.

Not sure why you insist upon defending your fanbase... TC ain't lying, I'm not lying, and I'm sure others aren't exaggerating either... I extend an invite to any decent Cowboy fan to come spend a day with me.. Leave your paraphernalia at home, and wear Texans gear, I promise before our trip out in the public is done, you'll be assaulted verbally over and over by those "Few"... you'll find they aren't few, but many :) The "Few" are you, and those that post here, not the majority of Cowboy fans Frog.. promise :)

My man....I grew up in Ft. Worth. I've gone to Cowboy games off and on for 30 years. I've seen the worst of rivalries. In all that time I've yet to see people assaulted....physically... from Cowboy fans. Yet I've seen dangerous objects thrown from Philly fans and other division fans. I've also been to sports bars here where I was given unmitigated hell for being a Cowboy fan. I call it trash talking. Some here might call it verbally abusive. I'm sorry, I don't go to every Texans game and have been to maybe 8 total since they were here but I've yet to see any of this. I'm not calling anyones experiences fake or calling TC or you a liar. I'm just saying that these people do not make a whole. I'm sorry that TC went through what she went through but some of the other stories I have heard in my 5 years here on this board don't warrant a thing. It is sensitive people taking trash talking seriously. Even Texans fans here have told me that the fanbase can be sensitive to criticism. I've seen the same thing from Texans fans towards the Cowboys...venom. Again, over 35 years in a fan base and I promise you the people you see are a few. There are jackasses in every fanbase. I've seen them here and I've seen my own and others. I defend the fanbase because I've seen it much more than a few trips here or in a few bars in Houston. Heck the most abusive fan I've seen in Houston is Steeler fan. I've been in BW3 on many occassions where Steeler fan has been drunk and yelling at people. Most laugh at them because they look like spewing morons. Heck I even wrote the ***** radio host in San Antonio that was an obnoxious Cowboy fan and told him he was embarassing.

My man....I grew up in Ft. Worth. I've gone to Cowboy games off and on for 30 years. In all that time I've yet to see people assaulted from Cowboy fans. Some here might call it verbally abusive. I'm sorry, I don't go to every Texans game and have been to maybe 8 total since they were here but I've yet to see any of this. I'm not calling anyones experiences fake or calling TC or you a liar. I'm just saying that a few of these people does not make a whole. I'm sorry that TC went through what she went through but some of the other stories I have heard in my 5 years here don't warrant a thing. It is sensitive people taking trash talking seriously. I've seen the same thing from Texans fans. Again, over 35 years in a fan base and I promise you the people you see are a few. There are jackasses in every fanbase. I've seen them here and I've seen my own and others.

There is a difference between trash talking, and a threat Frog, fans from outside the Metroplex (i.e. Houston, San Antonio, Austin, etc.) don't behave in the same fashion. My guess, it's like penis envy, they can't live in the Metroplex because they lack the education or IQ, so they must act like total blithering morons to compensate for their inadequacies? :)

P.S. I guess I wonder why you act as if my assault of your fan base is an affront to yourself... I go out of my way to be cordial to all the fans that post here, regardless of team loyalties :)

Last edited:
Who cares? Honestly, I don't even think I pay attention to anything but evaluating our own players during pre-season games. It's always nice to get a W, but it matters not who our opponents are in those 4 games. To me anyways

There is a difference between trash talking, and a threat Frog, fans from outside the Metroplex (i.e. Houston, San Antonio, Austin, etc.) don't behave in the same fashion. My guess, it's like penis envy, they can't live in the Metroplex because they lack the education or IQ, so they must act like total blithering morons to compensate for their inadequacies? :)

P.S. I guess I wonder why you act as if my assault of your fan base is an affront to yourself... I go out of my way to be cordial to all the fans that post here, regardless of team loyalties :)

No harm taken. I'm not taking this personally. You have been very cool...well except for penis envy comments :). That usually goes the other way here..lol. I'm just explaining it from seeing my side and saying that I've seen alot of stuff from many fanbases. From my experience in my own fanbase and from what I've seen living here for 17 years, I've yet to see too much stuff except people don't like us. In fact, to be truthful, another great Cowboy fan, WWJD, and I were saying that Cowboy fans usually are pretty docile. I mean the new stadium is great but the old stadium and all wasn't what you would call a great homefield advantage when it came to crowd noise, etc. or rowdiness.

No harm taken. I'm not taking this personally. You have been very cool...well except for penis envy comments :). That usually goes the other way here..lol. I'm just explaining it from seeing my side and saying that I've seen alot of stuff from many fanbases. From my experience in my own fanbase and from what I've seen living here for 17 years, I've yet to see too much stuff except people don't like us. In fact, to be truthful, another great Cowboy fan, WWJD, and I were saying that Cowboy fans usually are pretty docile. I mean the new stadium is great but the old stadium and all wasn't what you would call a great homefield advantage when it came to crowd noise, etc. or rowdiness.

I think the problem is that the Cowgirls have a lot of bandwagoners because they were America's team for so long. I personally believe the bandwagoners are generally the ones who misrepresent their fanbases poorly. In the past few years, there have been some really obnoxious Patriot fans out on the internet. When teams win... fansbases grow and you start to notice the dingleberries out there that cause problems.

I think the problem is that the Cowgirls have a lot of bandwagoners because they were America's team for so long. I personally believe the bandwagoners are generally the ones who misrepresent their fanbases poorly. In the past few years, there have been some really obnoxious Patriot fans out on the internet. When teams win... fansbases grow and you start to notice the dingleberries out there that cause problems.

Perhaps. But the Cowboys sell out every home game and have a huge national following. That's hardly "bandwagon" fans. It's been that way for years.

Part of it is just flat out great marketing. Jerry takes them to California (and Tex did as well) for training camp. So over the years they've built up a fanbase in California. They do the San Antonio camp. You get more fans there by having the product out there where people can go and see.

Jerry is masterful when it comes to marketing. Tex was as well. That's how you get fans. Get the team OUT THERE. It's not just about winning always.

Some of it is Youth. Many of the long time Cowboy fans that I have seen or been around..say the 70s on...are usually good fans. You have some that only know the 90s teams and in this day and age we have info overload, message boards, etc so you get some mouthy people. Not saying all young fans are bad. I just think there is alot more trash talking the last couple of decades. Again, I've seen it in most fanbases and just chalk it up to the minority.

Perhaps. But the Cowboys sell out every home game and have a huge national following. That's hardly "bandwagon" fans. It's been that way for years.

Part of it is just flat out great marketing. Jerry takes them to California (and Tex did as well) for training camp. So over the years they've built up a fanbase in California. They do the San Antonio camp. You get more fans there by having the product out there where people can go and see.

Jerry is masterful when it comes to marketing. Tex was as well. That's how you get fans. Get the team OUT THERE. It's not just about winning always.

I have no idea what it's like at texas stadium. I would imagine it to be the same as any team's homebase, ours included. my experiences are limited to the internet and opposing fans. maybe bandwagoners is the wrong word but people who like football but donlt really have a team to get behind, so they jump on the winners at that time.

Some of it is Youth. Many of the long time Cowboy fans that I have seen or been around..say the 70s on...are usually good fans. You have some that only know the 90s teams and in this day and age we have info overload, message boards, etc so you get some mouthy people. Not saying all young fans are bad. I just think there is alot more trash talking the last couple of decades. Again, I've seen it in most fanbases and just chalk it up to the minority.

Agreed. Also people are dumber than they used to be.

I have no idea what it's like at texas stadium. I would imagine it to be the same as any team's homebase, ours included. my experiences are limited to the internet and opposing fans. maybe bandwagoners is the wrong word but people who like football but donlt really have a team to get behind, so they jump on the winners at that time.

Texas Stadium was known for being "quiet" when I was going to games. You didn't have to worry if you were the opposing team about having batteries thrown at you or anything else. The new stadium is much louder but there is a new breed of NFL fans as well from my days.

I'm priced out of sports live nowadays but I'm not so sure I really would want to go anyway. Contending with drunks and having people talk trash to me isn't really my idea of a fun day.

I just watch at home.

Last edited:
Agree. I've seen this stuff over and over and I've yet to see it in my lifetime. I've also have seen 20 times worse with Philly fan, Skins fan and many others against the Cowboys because, as many people know, there are alot of "haters." Still no full out fights. A few morons does not make a fanbase. I see many jackass Texans fans and no one calls them out. I'm told they are "spirited." I think this stuff goes too far on every fanbase.

Are you serious? Have you listened to sports radio here? The reason why I love this board is you get the actual best of the best when it comes to talking sports. The people here are nice and know sports. If you listen to sports radio calls in town it is enough to make you want to end it all. Houston isn't really known for sports fandom. I know more of the Cowboy ilk that can go through their history and every player since the 70s and talk game day better than most. Just like people here.

God, it's awful ain't it?

Of course there are all type of fans that root for any/all the teams. That being said, each fan base does exhibit certain characteristics. Certainly it can be said that Philadelphia fans and Cleveland fans (as a group) are different than Seattle or Green Bay fans. Some of it is cultural and some of it grows from within its own subculture. The Cowboy fan subculture is obnoxious and arrogant at least partly because of their history of winning. Also, they learned to embrace brash and often loud heroes. So, Cowboy fans tend to revel and participate in that kind of behavior more than a Packer fan, for instance.

I was a Cowboy fan for 25 years. They are an awful combination of arrogant, obnoxious, and ignorant fans. It irritated the heck out of me when I was among them and it certainly irritates me as a Texan fan.

To be fair, I'm not trying to take cheap shots at Cowboy fans. Truth is, I'm quite frustrated with the Texan fanbase as well. Texan fans are also an ignorant fanbase. I'm not sure why NFL fans in Texas aren't more educated football fans. But, it is true!

Of course there are all type of fans that root for any/all the teams. That being said, each fan base does exhibit certain characteristics. Certainly it can be said that Philadelphia fans and Cleveland fans (as a group) are different than Seattle or Green Bay fans. Some of it is cultural and some of it grows from within its own subculture. The Cowboy fan subculture is obnoxious and arrogant at least partly because of their history of winning. Also, they learned to embrace brash and often loud heroes. So, Cowboy fans tend to revel and participate in that kind of behavior more than a Packer fan, for instance.

I was a Cowboy fan for 25 years. They are an awful combination of arrogant, obnoxious, and ignorant fans. It irritated the heck out of me when I was among them and it certainly irritates me as a Texan fan.

To be fair, I'm not trying to take cheap shots at Cowboy fans. Truth is, I'm quite frustrated with the Texan fanbase as well. Texan fans are also an ignorant fanbase. I'm not sure why NFL fans in Texas aren't more educated football fans. But, it is true!

I'm about as low key a Cowboys fan as one can find and I went to their games for 20+ years..Super Bowls and all. Can't say it any better than Frog has so I just won't but I realize people see things the way they do and generally you, me or God isn't going to change that opinion.

I've always felt the Packers had the best and most loyal fanbase. Back when I had Cowboys season tickets I felt that way and I still do.

Of course there are all type of fans that root for any/all the teams. That being said, each fan base does exhibit certain characteristics. Certainly it can be said that Philadelphia fans and Cleveland fans (as a group) are different than Seattle or Green Bay fans. Some of it is cultural and some of it grows from within its own subculture. The Cowboy fan subculture is obnoxious and arrogant at least partly because of their history of winning. Also, they learned to embrace brash and often loud
heroes. So, Cowboy fans tend to revel and participate in that kind of behavior more than a Packer fan, for instance.

Diagree on alot of this..Most old time Cowboy fans embrace Roger Staubach, Bob Lily, Randy White, Drew Pearson, Cliff Harris, Charlie Waters, Leroy Jordan, etc, etc. Even on the 90s teams most people gravitated towards Troy, Emmitt, Darren Woodson, etc. Your comment is just plain off the mark and an horrible genralization. I mean Landry was the leader and there was nothing brash, cocky or loud about him. Someone like Hollywood Henderson was an exception.

As far as the fans. Most of the people I hung out with and still do to this day played football and talked football quite intelligently. That doesn't make my experiences any more meaningful than any other smaller group but that doesn't make a fanbase arrogant or obnoxious or ignorant. Just like I find many on this board intelligent and fun to talk to but I find the general Houston sports fan as pretty ignorant at times, as you said.

Again, I find the "generalizations" more disturbing than anything because I'm not sure what 25 years you cheered but you hung out with some different fans and saw some different heros. I'll leave it at that. No more bait for me.

My man....I grew up in Ft. Worth. I've gone to Cowboy games off and on for 30 years. I've seen the worst of rivalries. In all that time I've yet to see people assaulted....physically... from Cowboy fans. Yet I've seen dangerous objects thrown from Philly fans and other division fans. I've also been to sports bars here where I was given unmitigated hell for being a Cowboy fan. I call it trash talking. Some here might call it verbally abusive. I'm sorry, I don't go to every Texans game and have been to maybe 8 total since they were here but I've yet to see any of this. I'm not calling anyones experiences fake or calling TC or you a liar. I'm just saying that these people do not make a whole. I'm sorry that TC went through what she went through but some of the other stories I have heard in my 5 years here on this board don't warrant a thing. It is sensitive people taking trash talking seriously. Even Texans fans here have told me that the fanbase can be sensitive to criticism. I've seen the same thing from Texans fans towards the Cowboys...venom. Again, over 35 years in a fan base and I promise you the people you see are a few. There are jackasses in every fanbase. I've seen them here and I've seen my own and others. I defend the fanbase because I've seen it much more than a few trips here or in a few bars in Houston. Heck the most abusive fan I've seen in Houston is Steeler fan. I've been in BW3 on many occassions where Steeler fan has been drunk and yelling at people. Most laugh at them because they look like spewing morons. Heck I even wrote the ***** radio host in San Antonio that was an obnoxious Cowboy fan and told him he was embarassing.

That's why I took pains to say that as a group, I do not like when Cowboy fans are in Reliant Stadium

Even in this thread, a Cowboy fan says that he just wants to go to games to talk a little smack. Problem with that is when drunk people are in proximity, that smack talk sometimes turns into physical stuff, or the time a drunk Cowboy fan started F-bombing me and I was wondering if he was going to hit me until another fan intervened physically.

There is an etiquette to being a fan in an opponents' stadium. You are a guest. Don't act like a donkey. It doesn't involve junk talking, verbally or physically assaulting home fans. Cowboy fans as a group do not get that.

Last year was cool and not cool playing close in kc was good but the weather was bad

playing minn and seeing Brett farve was cool and playing the NFC championship teams was A good test minny and new Orleans

I think we play the bucs because there close to us

New Orleans is close to and we train with them

So if that's the case we should play Dallas every year

Maybe even kc and st louis has well

Back