Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Charlie Casserly was on Jim Rome today ... Mario or Reggie? NO VINCE!

HoustonFrog said:
I agree with the gist of your post but in no way do I think that Kubiak looks at Carr like an Elway. Elway always was a leader and a good QB, he just had no talent and still took teams to SBs. Elways arm and Carr' arm aren't close in my book either. If anything I think Kubiak looks at Carr like a Plummer. A guy he can teach to use his teammates and manage a game without messing it up.

I think Kubiak is higher on Carr than you think. I think he does compare him to Elway in a lot of ways. I know that Elway was at the ESPN game when FSU played Colorado State and Carr was the QB. FSU won in the last few seconds of that game. Elway was impressed with Carr. I don't think the system has given you good glimpses of Carr's arm. Hey, but I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with me. But I put out some ideas for people to think about why and what Kubiak might be thinking and how much I like him as a coach. Gooooo Texaaaaans.

Ibar_Harry said:
Why did they bring VY in for a 2nd look?

Personally, I believe the thinking would be that you need to be prepared for every eventuality. For example, if someone came to the Texans with an outlandish deal for David Carr, then all at once the Texans might want to consider drafting a QB and if they didn't at least give him a look, then the Texans might regret it if a great deal for Carr did come along. Well, that and protection against the dreaded "motorcycle accident."

I just thought that our management would be playing a better game by touting Young as a good pick. Thought would have enabled us to shop around the pick better and possibly trade down. Seems like that scenario hasn't even entered their minds. All I am getting from the Texans is that Young is NOT their pick and downplaying his talents. Where's the riverboat gambler when you need him. He doesn't know when to hold them and when to fold them.

SESupergenius said:
I just thought that our management would be playing a better game by touting Young as a good pick. Thought would have enabled us to shop around the pick better and possibly trade down. Seems like that scenario hasn't even entered their minds. All I am getting from the Texans is that Young is NOT their pick and downplaying his talents. Where's the riverboat gambler when you need him. He doesn't know when to hold them and when to fold them.

Let me make this clear. Casserly did NOT downplay his talents. He compared the guy to Steve McNair, who turned out to be an MVP. He also spoke highly of Leinert. Just because Casserly said the Texans wouldn't be taking a QB doesn't mean he believes both of them won't be stars. I think he believes both Williams and Bush will be stars as well. So if they all will be playing well in the NFL for a long time, then you have to choose the guy you think is the best fit for your situation. After Casserly spoke of Bush repeatedly as a guy who will be receiving "limited touches" and taking into account the fact that Bush wants to break the bank as well, it seems to me that Mario's stock is on the rise.

SESupergenius said:

I'm wonder if that is why they changed this from a Young/Bush debate to a Mario/Bush debate. I don't get the impression many teams will trade up to #1 for Young. It is starting to sound like a few teams have Mario Williams high on their boards. This also plants the seed that the Texans might be open to trading down if they aren't set on one guy.

TheOgre said:
I'm wonder if that is why they changed this from a Young/Bush debate to a Mario/Bush debate. I don't get the impression many teams will trade up to #1 for Young. It is starting to sound like a few teams have Mario Williams high on their boards. This also plants the seed that the Texans might be open to trading down if they aren't set on one guy.

It might, but I doubt that they would trade down too far seeing that both of their players would be gone if they went down to three or farther. Personally, I think they should trade down but if they are negotiating with both Bush and Williams, then that would imply that they won't go too far down.

Bobo said:
Quite frankly, Casserly knows what he's talking about. Losing him either to the NFL offices or canning him would be the second biggest mistake the Texans could make.

Up until then it was a good post. If he has been the watch dog over the program so far. If he skips out on Bush like he did on Johnson last year the Texans are going to regret it for a long time to come. We sprnt our first round pick on a D-lineman last year and he did not help. Our line backing corp would be much more stable haad he not passed on the best player available. He is going to drive the Team through the floor if somone does not take over.

done88 said:
Up until then it was a good post. If he has been the watch dog over the program so far. If he skips out on Bush like he did on Johnson last year the Texans are going to regret it for a long time to come. We sprnt our first round pick on a D-lineman last year and he did not help. Our line backing corp would be much more stable haad he not passed on the best player available. He is going to drive the Team through the floor if somone does not take over.

Let it go.

DJ was not the BPA at 13, seeing as the Saints who needed LB help took an OL, and Carolina took a hybrid type LB/S, it's safe to assume that he wasn't the BPA : and if he was 3 GMs all passed on him, which would be odd for teh BPA with no character issues.

Bobo said:
It might, but I doubt that they would trade down too far seeing that both of their players would be gone if they went down to three or farther. Personally, I think they should trade down but if they are negotiating with both Bush and Williams, then that would imply that they won't go too far down.

Why:confused: , if they trade down it doesnt matter if they've negotiated with them already because they're not going to give mario #1 money at, lets say, #4

I didn't say that Casserly put Young down, I was thinking more on how he didn't pimp him enough. That is 2 seperate things. Casserly should have been pimping him from day one, had a good meeting with Carr to layout his plan so Carr doesn't get all riled up, then talk to Bush and tell him the plan and continued to sell Young, Lienart, Williams and Bush to other teams. I just didn't get the impression that he was doing that. He should have been pimping at least 4 prospects. Can you imagine he started saying in interviews and to prospective team, "Wow we've got a lot of great talent here and us, going 2-14, we can possible add any of these players because they can tremendously help our teams and they grade out at an incredibly high level. It's going to be a tremendously tough pick for us." Instead he pretty much limited us to one player in Bush and finally seems to trying to pimp the DE too late in the game for fishes to bite.

I'll believe who the Texans are leaning towards when I hear tags speak his name.

Rule # of Draft Club. Dont talk about who you will take.

For all we know, they think NYJ's want Mario, and are pimping him, so they can get a trade, and get their target plus some picks @ #4.

Maddict5 said:
Why:confused: , if they trade down it doesnt matter if they've negotiated with them already because they're not going to give mario #1 money at, lets say, #4

Another thing. If they were to trade down, I would think it would be for someone who is off the Radar.... Otherwise you risk not being able to get the guy you want. Right now, the thinking is that We'll take Reggie, or Mario....... If we Draft Mario, the Saints will most likely take Reggie..... If we take Reggie, the Saints will take Reggie....

The Saints are saying they are very interested in Mario... so Houston is SOL, if they trade past #2.........

Tennessee's smoke signals point to Vince....

Now, if Houston takes Reggie...... it's possible, that the Saints were blowing smoke, and would either pick D'Brick, or...... they were serious, and a nother team get's their pick, and take D'Brick....... Tennessee....... will take Vince, or Lienart....... they are saying the man with the only vote that counts wants Vince, so...... they take Leinart..... or Possibly Cutler...... we're pretty sure, it will be a QB though. Unless we pick Mario, and Reggie Falls to them...... I can see Tennessee doing like San Diego did, and getting their Running back first, and a QB later in this draft.

So, does SF take Vernon Davis, or Mario?? If he is the guy they've wanted all along..... the Texans cannot IMHO go lower than 4....... and that still might be too low.

SESupergenius said:
I didn't say that Casserly put Young down, I was thinking more on how he didn't pimp him enough. That is 2 seperate things. Casserly should have been pimping him from day one, had a good meeting with Carr to layout his plan so Carr doesn't get all riled up, then talk to Bush and tell him the plan and continued to sell Young, Lienart, Williams and Bush to other teams.

Bush wants to be the #1 pick more than he wants to be a Houston Texan...

thunderkyss said:
Bush wants to be the #1 pick more than he wants to be a Houston Texan...

Name 2 #1 picks, leaving out Bernie Kosar, that wanted to be with the team that picked them more than they wanted to be the #1 pick ....

Ibar_Harry said:
I think Kubiak is higher on Carr than you think. I think he does compare him to Elway in a lot of ways. I know that Elway was at the ESPN game when FSU played Colorado State and Carr was the QB. FSU won in the last few seconds of that game. Elway was impressed with Carr. I don't think the system has given you good glimpses of Carr's arm. Hey, but I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with me. But I put out some ideas for people to think about why and what Kubiak might be thinking and how much I like him as a coach. Gooooo Texaaaaans.

Hey, I'm not here to bash Carr. I have always respected your posts and though I'm not a Carr fan I really don't get off bashing the guy. He does have a strong arm, I just don't see him being an Elway type. Elway had his head on straight, IMHO, and was a born leader and QB who still overcame early talent deficits. I think Carr, in a way, is damaged goods and with proper coaching can be good but nothing spectacular. I respect the idea though.

Hoth-Boy said:
Does anybody think this will end the run of teh VY supporters?

Good Lord, i hope so. Maybe Matress Mac will backout on that rumored $30k
ad he's gonna run in Thursday's Chronic.

Vince Young said:
I'll believe who the Texans are leaning towards when I hear tags speak his name.

Rule # of Draft Club. Dont talk about who you will take.

For all we know, they think NYJ's want Mario, and are pimping him, so they can get a trade, and get their target plus some picks @ #4.

Texans | Choice narrowed to Bush or Williams
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:01:29 -0700

The Associated Press reports Houston Texans general manager Charlie Casserly has announced that the team will select either USC RB Reggie Bush or North Carolina St. DE Mario Williams with the first pick in the 2006 NFL Draft. Casserly also dismissed the option of trading out of the first pick in the draft. "Right now we have nobody interested in that first pick, so we have gone ahead and begun negotiations with two players," Casserly said.

kcwilson said:

The Associated Press reports Houston Texans general manager Charlie Casserly has announced that the team will select either USC RB Reggie Bush or North Carolina St. DE Mario Williams with the first pick in the 2006 NFL Draft. Casserly also dismissed the option of trading out of the first pick in the draft. "Right now we have nobody interested in that first pick, so we have gone ahead and begun negotiations with two players," Casserly said.

There's the smoking gun. Hey, guys its time to negoiate. By the way I'm referring to other teams. That's his opening shot. Not too many days left to pull the trigger.

Is Mario Williams the second coming of Kelvin Cato? A guy who'll bust his butt when he has to in order to skate the rest of his life. We all know the guy. This guy Mario Williams, what exactly did he do to distinguish himself before the last 3 games of the season. Answer: Not a damn thing.

Reggie Bush has been making highlights since 8th grade.

Casserly is known for being pokerd when he tries to play the game, just go see how we picked up Tony Hollings. We were raked in easier than a cornered sheep. We were the only team to pull that trigger and wow look at the deal we got! Yet another example of someone not doing their homework in the front office.

Our options would have been way better if we could have leveled off the field amongst those top 4 instead of limited it to just one. Williams isn't even a factor, everyone can see right through it.

kcwilson said:

And your point is? What makes you think that is the truth? Because it was on the internet?

Vince Young said:
And your point is? What makes you think that is the truth? Because it was on the internet?

Also because they are 2 top rated players. Sorry VY, you ain't the highest rated player. now don't get all defensive and bent outta shape. Being the 2nd highest rated qb is pretty dang good too and I have no doubt you'll be a success.

Ibar_Harry said:
What is being said should not be too much of a surprise. Given the Carr contract you would think that would eliminate Linehart and VY names frorm out draft list for the 1st spot. It seemed that Kubiak liked Carr from the get go, but that has just been confirmed.

Why did they bring VY in for a 2nd look? I think there were two reasons. One, was they needed to do that for fan reasons. I think that is a given. However, the 2nd reason was Kubiak wanted to call the shots in the 2nd viewing and see how he reacted in an add-lib format. It wasn't scripted like the pro-day. The comments were that VY had a terrific workout, but I'm suspicious that Kubiak had picked up on a fault and wanted to verify it. Nobody is going to come out and say that, but you remember Kubiak has been saying he keeps watching film and going back and verifying. Also, remember he has been running Carr through similar sequences, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't put Carr through the same sequence so Kubiak had something to compare to when he he put VY through it.

I think Kubiak believes there are a number of similarties between Carr and Elway. Elway was not immediately successful, but the skills were there and they came out in time. Elway was much more mobile than Carr, but Carr is not immobile. It took a long time for Elway to adjust his touch. He had the same problem as Carr in the beginning. The one think Carr has in common with Elway is a gun of an arm. DO NOT under estimate the importance of that in today's schemes.

All of this boils down to, Yes Williams and Bush are the obvious two top choices. Which of those two really boils down to the long run vs the short run. Williams is the long haul least risky pick. Bush is the short run risky pick. I keep saying money may well be the determining factor between these two guys.

I tried to put myself in Kubiak's shoes on the Bush issue, and to me it all hinges on Carr's situation.
If I were Kubiak, in light of the fact that I have given Carr my full endorsement, I would want to do whatever I can do to make sure he is as successful as I said he could be. That means I want RB in there with him. RB gives Carr a better shot at succeeding than any player on defense.
The Carr decision was Kubiak's first major one as HC, and if I were him I would want to stack the deck in my favor on that one.
Sure, a good defense will help you win, but if Carr doesn't make progress, this team is going nowhere for a while.

I really hope we grab Bush he is the electric player that we need, but somehow I think that Kubiak wants Mario with the #1 pick. He's cheaper, he'll help us faster, and DEs are generally better long term values than an RB.

Can't wait until draft day. :redtowel:

Vince Young said:

It's the truth because many of us here on the board heard CC say it on Rome's show.

chuckm said:
Name 2 #1 picks, leaving out Bernie Kosar, that wanted to be with the team that picked them more than they wanted to be the #1 pick ....

What is wrong with you??

The man said he had a master plan, putting Vince at the front of a misinformation campaign, so that we can trade down, and Draft Reggie. Part of this plan, was to let Reggie in on it, and let him know he has nothing to worry about, because we still plan on drafting him outside of the #1 overall pick.

I reminded him, that Reggie couldn't care less about playing for the Houston Texans, if he is not the #1 pick. Implying, he probably wouldn't be eased by the information we share with him.

This is not a knock on him, or any kid who aspires to be the #1 pick....

Kubiak can very well have a plan in that if he takes Bush this year and Carr fall flat on his face, he could have scouted the prospects that potentially could be coming out next year for QB.

SESupergenius said:
Kubiak can very well have a plan in that if he takes Bush this year and Carr fall flat on his face, he could have scouted the prospects that potentially could be coming out next year for QB.

To me, that would be the biggest slap in the face..... Reggie Bushes come every 4 or 5 years....... there is a franchise back(at least one) coming out of oklahoma next year, and Jamal Charles will be coming out soon after that.

You've got good QB prospects coming out next year..... Brady Quinn, and you've got Matt Leinart this year.... and they will be fine NFL starters for sure.

I may be alone, but I see Vince as having all the physical attributes, and skills as Donovan, and Dante....... plus he's got the leadership, poise, and the "it" that Montana, Elway, Aikman, and Peyton Manning all possess........ the Field General.

I know..... it puts your panties in a bunch, when I compare Vince to all the guys I have in this post alone, so:
I see Vince as having all the physical attributes, and skills as Donovan, and Dante....... plus he's got the leadership, poise, and the "it" that Montana, Elway, Aikman, and Peyton Manning all possess........ the Field General.

thunderkyss said:
To me, that would be the biggest slap in the face..... Reggie Bushes come every 4 or 5 years....... there is a franchise back(at least one) coming out of oklahoma next year, and Jamal Charles will be coming out soon after that.

You've got good QB prospects coming out next year..... Brady Quinn, and you've got Matt Leinart this year.... and they will be fine NFL starters for sure.

I may be alone, but I see Vince as having all the physical attributes, and skills as Donovan, and Dante....... plus he's got the leadership, poise, and the "it" that Montana, Elway, Aikman, and Peyton Manning all possess........ the Field General.

I know..... it puts your panties in a bunch, when I compare Vince to all the guys I have in this post alone, so:
:ok:
You are pretty amazing to compare a guy who you have never seen perticipate in anything in the NFL to those quality players.
Tony Mandarich and Ryan Leaf must have curled you toes too!

wrestler4life said:
You are pretty amazing to compare a guy who you have never seen perticipate in anything in the NFL to those quality players.

Not as much as kijana carter did.

thunderkyss said:

Blah Blah blah.... we see the hype every year, Kellen Winslow is going to be the great TE, Gallery is the next Boselli or PAce. Sure thing homer. Nice Price avatar you got there. :confused:

wrestler4life said:

I'm so glad we have people like you here to keep stuff like this to a minimum... Surely you're being fair, and calling out all the Gayle Sayers, Marshall Faulk, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, etc.... etc... comparisons down as well.

SESupergenius said:
Blah Blah blah.... we see the hype every year, Kellen Winslow is going to be the great TE, Gallery is the next Boselli or PAce. Sure thing homer. Nice Price avatar you got there. :confused:

whoops.......... you missed Reggie Bush there.

I am looking at this way

I am thinking we are taking Bush #1 overall if we don't get a good enough trade to drop because I can't imagine us paying Mario Williams #1 overall money
here are my reasonings

we are using Mario Williams as
a) bargaining chip to try to drive Bush's contract demands down a notch or two
B) to increase interest in someone trading with us instead of N.O. because everyone knows N.O. doesn't need a QB or RB so N.O. is primed for being a tradedown partner more than us and New Orleans needs a DL

VY is out of the question with Carr and ragone re-signed and Sage on board, we may draft a QB but not in the 1st 3 rounds

I could be very very wrong on my thinking here though.:spy:

Wolf said:
we are using Mario Williams as
a) bargaining chip to try to drive Bush's contract demands down a notch or two
B) to increase interest in someone trading with us instead of N.O. because everyone knows N.O. doesn't need a QB or RB so N.O. is primed for being a tradedown partner more than us and New Orleans needs a DL

VY is out of the question with Carr and ragone re-signed and Sage on board, we may draft a QB but not in the 1st 3 rounds

I could be very very wrong on my thinking here though.:spy:

Logic for the win.

wrestler4life said:

Conventional wisdom all had these guys going as high as they did and being successful in the NFL for a long time. Nobody looked sideways when these guys were picked. After they implode, everyone tries to act like they saw it coming.

Funny thing about busts... if the teams knew they were gonna be busts, they wouldn't have drafted 'em.

[[Gary Kubiak]] said:
Ohhhh phulllease!!! Bush has = chance of busting as Mario. If what you say is true, that were just using Mario to drop Bush's price.... what happens if he won't drop his price?

We have to face the fact that Mario has 50% chance of becoming our pick. I'll be happy if we take bush, but I'll go nuts if we pick Mario. We all know we need help on D and D wins championships.

yeah I like defense too and agree with you, but I never said anything about Bush being a bust or Mario being a bust.. I dont' understand why people on this board throw that term around when they don't agree with a pick..why can't 2 people be good NFL players..

I still stick to my reasons for the Texans using Mario as a bargaining chip esp w/ no trades in sight being N.O. took all that baraining power away when they signed Brees

I wish VY the best of luck and hope to see him in a Raider Uni. As I have continued to say the Raiders provide him with the best opp to florish. Randy Moss can make any QB look like a superstar. Just look at Culpepper.

If we want to win now Bush is the best option. Carr, DD, Bush, AJ, Moulds. I am getting the tingley feeling again.

:redtowel: :redtowel: :redtowel: :redtowel:

Please Mario Williams....Please. That guy is just a freak. I just think that the D is what's going to help us get to the playoffs.

thunderkyss said:
whoops.......... you missed Reggie Bush there.
Thuderkyss, yes I will add Reggie Bush in there too.....And Vince Young (ewwww that stabs at you:yahoo: ) J/K.

Anyways, there is always such overhype on these rookies.

bigTEXan8 said:
Please Mario Williams....Please. That guy is just a freak. I just think that the D is what's going to help us get to the playoffs.

I am with you. I am going to light some candles!!!

I'm so sick of all the Bush, Williams, and Young debate that I'm actually more excited about the 2nd round pick....:stirpot:

SESupergenius said:
Thuderkyss, yes I will add Reggie Bush in there too.....And Vince Young (ewwww that stabs at you:yahoo: ) J/K.

Anyways, there is always such overhype on these rookies.

haha..... no, no stab at me.....I'm really a trade down or Vince guy..... I understand the hype thing pretty well.

Back