Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Cedric vs. The Man

I don't really think we need to sign him but I certainly don't think it would hurt anything. Another body to push our staff. Benson was an incredible talent at UT and that's saying a lot being in the shadows of Earl Campbell and Ricky Williams. So he failed miserably in Chicago. I think he's got enough talent to be given a shot somewhere once again.

He'll get a shot no doubt, but I don't think it'll happen here. There will probably be a few teams who will take a chance on him. But not as a feature running back. He'd have to prove he can be that in the pros.

Anyone who gets busted twice for alcohol-related incidents in a month is 1 - not smart, 2 - not dedicated to football, and 3 - a distraction that we simply do not need.

It's not that he's got two incidents - it's that they happened so close together. How stupid do you have to be to do that - and then, to not have any accountability for either incident makes it 100 times worse IMO. If he had been the LEAST bit accountable, then I would look at him in a different light - but this is a guy who thinks all the bad things that happen to him are other people's fault.

PLUS, once again - he doesn't have good burst, and is not a good fit for ZBS.

There's absolutely ZERO reasons for the Texans to even consider him. I don't think he's washed up though - and that's why someone will actually pay a decent amount for him. We would be MORONS to pay him what other teams are going to offer.

Look he is young man who isn't 25 yet and as I recall we all made bad decisions when we were young so i'm not going to bash him on that and if he take the proper steps he should get a second shot. First off Cedric was a dynamite player a few years ago coming into the league and maybe chicago's system was a terrible fit for him? If this is the only problem that the guy has had with the 2 arrests in Austin, TX then I say bring him on a 1 year contract it's not like the texans have a great running back already on the roster.

I think that Steve Slaton is going to be much better than what people think but I'm not sold on any of the other running backs on the roster because they have all been injury prone throughout there recent years. So I say take a chance on Benson with a 1 year contract and if he can turn it around great if not then just cut him.

Its official 66% of NZ Texans fans are against a move to sign Benson with one uncommitted.

Don't sign Benson and pi$$ off the kiwi contingent..... or else. :pirate:

If we can only take 80 folks into TC - why waste a slot on him?

Yes he went to UT...Yes he was pretty good there...But that only gets you in the door to the NFL.

What has he done in the pros? Rushing and Receiving combined...Nothing. The guy has half as many DUI's as he did rushing TDs last year.

There was talk of this on 1300 the zone. The argument being that Cedric needs a team like the Texans. An up and coming team who can give him a clean slate that will provide enough competition for him to either win or lose a job. Figuring that if you can't make the Texans you probably will start looking at lower paychecks than the already 650k base salary he is earning right now. This would put the Texans with major leverage to sign him on the cheap.

Their other argument was that Green, and Brown have been injured as of recently or throughout their career and Benson is an upgrade over D. Walker and Slaton is probably not going to be an every down back.

I feel like that was a pretty good argument to sign him but feel as if signing him would put him already behind the 8 ball as the other guys got so many reps in a new system.

I do feel that the RBs who have come from the zone read UT offense, have faired well in the ZBS - primarily Young who is now in Denver. So maybe Benson could make that transition to us and also coming back to Texas may be what he needs.

You are seriously listening to 1300 the Zone to figure out where an ex-longhorn would go? The Texans have never looked at guys with huge character risk and they are not going to start now.

Like I said on the previous page, there is not a team right now that is even going to look at benson until both legal situations have been resolved, because they have no idea what Commissioner Big Foot is going to do with Beson as far as suspension. So you want to waste a roster spot on a player who may or may not be available to the team because he may get suspended. WOW that is brilliant, great GM work guys.

There was talk of this on 1300 the zone. The argument being that Cedric needs a team like the Texans. An up and coming team who can give him a clean slate that will provide enough competition for him to either win or lose a job. Figuring that if you can't make the Texans you probably will start looking at lower paychecks than the already 650k base salary he is earning right now. This would put the Texans with major leverage to sign him on the cheap.

Their other argument was that Green, and Brown have been injured as of recently or throughout their career and Benson is an upgrade over D. Walker and Slaton is probably not going to be an every down back.

I feel like that was a pretty good argument to sign him but feel as if signing him would put him already behind the 8 ball as the other guys got so many reps in a new system.

I do feel that the RBs who have come from the zone read UT offense, have faired well in the ZBS - primarily Young who is now in Denver. So maybe Benson could make that transition to us and also coming back to Texas may be what he needs.

I listened to these KVET bozos while stuck on the shoulder of I-35 yesterday changing a tire. They went on and on about Benson to the Texans without once mentioning the ZBS or Benson's fit within the scheme. When they got around to the stable of RBs the Texans have on the roster, one of them said that they'd signed Chris Brown "a couple of days ago."

Uh, what? Fracking idiots.

Other than some Austin radio yahoos, I can't believe that anyone sees the Texans signing Benson. Even the most ardent Horn fans might change their tune after reading these pieces regarding Benson.

On Benson's draft day crying episode, per the Chicago Tribune:

He wasn't crying because he was overcome with joy or pride.

He wasn't crying over the honor of running in the city where Walter Payton ran or playing for a proud franchise that reveres its football stars or any other reason he has offered the past three years.

No, Cedric Benson cried on the day of the NFL draft in 2005 because he was upset the Bears took him with the fourth overall selection.

Benson was bugged that Jerry Angelo decided to draft him despite Benson's representatives making clear in a last-minute phone call that they and the Bears weren't on the same page regarding fundamental contract demands.

Benson was so filled with fury and frustration over the contentious contract battle he knew awaited him, one that eventually led to a 36-day holdout, that he couldn't fight back the tears rolling down his cheek.

A source familiar with that story used it to demonstrate the unfailingly uneasy relationship between Benson and the Bears, one that ended Monday when the team placed the running back on waivers two days after an alcohol-related arrest in Austin, Texas.
Jay Glazer tells Dan Patrick that the Bears defense was so fond of Cedric, they tried to injure him in training camp.

Glazer: I mean, hell, one year, they tried to hurt [Benson] to make sure that Thomas Jones was going to be the starter. That's how bad it was with that team. And--

Patrick: Wait ... his teammates tried to hurt him in practice?

Glazer: Oh yeah, absolutely. Absolutely.

[...]

Patrick: Who told you this? Was it a Bears defensive player that told you this?

Glazer: No, it wasn't *a* Bears defensive player; it was about ten of them.
Ouch. Finally, Vince Young has some words of advice for his college teammate:

Hash: [I asked this before Bears running back Cedric Benson was released Monday] I've talked to some scouts who are cautious with former University of Texas players because they think they've been pampered so much. You've talked about having a tough transition into the league. Obviously Cedric Benson and Ricky Williams have struggled with off-field issues. Is there anything to what those scouts are saying?

VY: I don't think it's just Texas players. I think it's growing up and trying to be more mature. The last time I saw Ced, there were a couple of things going on in his life. He needs to go find something else. Right now, drinking is not it.
Other than a babe on his party boat, does anyone have anything good to say about Benson? Where he plays football next is the last of Cedric's problems.

Why do I get the feeling that he's going to pop up at a press conference with Jim Brown, talking about how he's the victim in all of this and that he needs a chance with a team that believes in him? Man, I can see it now...

Plenty of guys with booze joneses have come back to become big successes.

Of course, most of them didn't suck before they got busted.

While there are many Aggies on the board, there are an equal number of 'sips.

The bashing comes mostly in part from a lot, (not all) of the arrogance and sense of entitlement from Austin. To wit, their un-wavering love and ignorance for a great college quarterback that quite frankly hasn't really lived up to the hype in the NFL.

Back to topic..... Benson is the POS we thought he was.

Cool, just wanted to know. I work with a Longhorn that said all the UT haters were people too stupid to make it into UT.

Didn't really make sense to me. I was too stupid and broke to make it into USC but I'm a fan

Cool, just wanted to know. I work with a Longhorn that said all the UT haters were people too stupid to make it into UT.

Didn't really make sense to me. I was too stupid and broke to make it into USC but I'm a fan

Your co-worker is exactly why there are a lot of haters of UT; to stupid to get into UT? HAHA I went to UofH but was accepted to UT and to Louisville, too broke to afford anything other than living at home and going to a local school. I hate UT because of the people here in Austin who have treated me when I first moved here like **** cause I was a Notre Dame fan and not a UT fan.

Now I have met some really nice UT folks, most from this board but mostly it has not been the case.

I hate UT because of the people here in Austin who have treated me when I first moved here like **** cause I was a Notre Dame fan and not a UT fan.

As hard as it is for me to say this, I really can't fault the 'sips for giving you grief about being a Notre Dame fan.....

As hard as it is for me to say this, I really can't fault the 'sips for giving you grief about being a Notre Dame fan.....

Giving grief is one thing Bill, acting like a total Arse and not wanting to even talk to someone cause they don't like the sips?

Even if a team wanted to bring him in, they would wait until he clears waivers so as to get him for the league minimum.
Only if Benson was willing to sign for the league minimum. There's only a $370K difference between picking up Benson off waivers and the league minimum, anyway. That's not enough to change a team's mind if they really wanted a player.

The central reason no team has picked him up so far is Cedric's impending suspension. Why bring a guy into camp and give him reps in the preseason when he won't be able to help your team until the 2nd half of the season? Some team will probably be desperate enough in November to give Benson a call. Cedric's pretty much worthless, now.

Only if Benson was willing to sign for the league minimum. There's only a $370K difference between picking up Benson off waivers and the league minimum, anyway. That's not enough to change a team's mind if they really wanted a player.

The central reason no team has picked him up so far is Cedric's impending suspension. Why bring a guy into camp and give him reps in the preseason when he won't be able to help your team until the 2nd half of the season? Some team will probably be desperate enough in November to give Benson a call. Cedric's pretty much worthless, now.

Jerry Jones is working out a deal right now.

I sincerely hope that the installation of a "blow and go" in his car will wake him up.

Free-agent running back Cedric Benson, the fourth overall pick in the 2005 draft who was cut earlier this month by the Bears, has been ordered by a judge to install an ignition interlock breathalyzer in his car.

Benson was arrested for DUI in the day preceding his release. In May, he was arrested for boating while intoxicated.

Benson also must take alcohol counseling courses as a condition of his bail.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

I sincerely hope that the installation of a "blow and go" in his car will wake him up.

Free-agent running back Cedric Benson, the fourth overall pick in the 2005 draft who was cut earlier this month by the Bears, has been ordered by a judge to install an ignition interlock breathalyzer in his car.

Benson was arrested for DUI in the day preceding his release. In May, he was arrested for boating while intoxicated.

Benson also must take alcohol counseling courses as a condition of his bail.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Keep a balloon in the car? :hides:

Personally I believe that it has it's roots in the constant UT crying and whining about the Texans not taking their players and particularly about them not taking Vince Young.

I don't have a lot of college football interest. Apart from it being the source of all NFL players it doesn't hold a lot of interest for me. I follow UH a little bit and Rice. I keep up with the rest of the "Texas Teams" to a lesser degree because they're from Texas but I don't live and die with longhorns or aggies. College rivalries are easy for me to ignore.

Having said that I was really excited by the UT program when they beat USC in the Rose Bowl and I was thinking (Vince being a junior at that time) wouldn't it be cool if we could pick Bush this year and then get Vince when he comes out next year. In hindsight I know how stupid that thought looks but at the time I was very interested in him and hoped he'd stay another season in school to make it possible. He didn't and the longhorn fans descended on the Texans like one of the biblical plagues. By the time the Texans took Mario I was praying that the longhorn loving S.O.B.'s would just leave now that their golden boy was in Nashville. Of course they didn't and we're still hearing that crap out of them from time to time.

I believe that if longhorn fans find that they and their team are hated around Houston Texans fans and websites by some or just treated badly in a very general way then they should understand that they, or their fellow fans earned that and made their own bed. They just crammed that Vince Young crap down our throats to the point where many of us just tune them out.

Also for the record I was interested in Benson back in the day (look how that turned out) and I wanted the Texans to take Derrick Johnson badly. I have no problem with UT players (or at least I "had" no problem with them) and I am pulling for the big guy to be a major steal this year. I just started feeling like listening to a UT fan was like listening to a really obnoxious Cowboys fan who happened to be wearing an orange shirt.

Carage return please.

Why in the world would we need Cedric Benson?

We already have Ahman Green, Chris Taylor, Darius Walker, Chris Brown, and Steve Slaton

They lose Amen, Taylor, CB, SS, all of whom have an injury history btw...Ced is an option. I wouldn't be shocked at all if they lose any combination of the Rb's and they are in trouble early in the schedule. Now they do not. Circumstances might change rapidly with this crew.

Why do I get the feeling that he's going to pop up at a press conference with Jim Brown, talking about how he's the victim in all of this and that he needs a chance with a team that believes in him? Man, I can see it now...

Wow! Do you have a crystal ball or something?

I could totally see it. You already know that as soon as Jim Brown gets involved the player he is helping is doomed, and yes Jim Brown will be there.

Do you remember the last person that Brown was mentoring? You got it! Maurice Clarrett! We all saw how that one went.

Back