Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Carr's option to be picked up...

Great now we just need to draft some lineman and sign Toniu Fonoti to a long term deal when he becomes a free agent.

The real prize for any team will be Leinart. Noone was really willing to play ball with the Niners last year when the possible prize was Aaron Rogers or Alex Smith.

Had Leinart come out early, then the suitors would have been lining up around the block just to make an offer. So I expect this year to be a year when the Number 1 pick is highly coveted. The big loser in the season will have to choose between taking Leinart (possible franchise changing QB) and taking a package of players and high draft picks.

I think I'd take the players and picks personally. I think Carr with protection can be a winning franchise type QB. If you take Leinart, you've got to start all over again with a rookie QB and his protection won't be fabulous overnight, because we won't have the extra picks and players to work with.

Go Texans

bigkyle said:
We need to take Leinart and trade Carr for a couple of good 0-linemen.

Carr is a good QB, rare is the QB who can throw the ball while laying on his backside

Perhaps I need to make better use of smileys. It was intended to sardonically point out the absurdity of trading Carr for a couple of offensive linemen. Thus, the quote.

Thanks for the rep hit though :)

It is great news that we are picking up Carr's option. Look for him to be an upper-echelon qb when he gets some protection. On our current place we are going to end up with a top 5 pick maybe top 10. We still have Cleveland, St. Lou, SF, Arizona, Tenn., Baltimore, and Jack on the schedule so we should be able to steal some wins in there. The prize of this draft will be Lionhart even though Bush is the best player coming out. Look for us to try and either pick up two picks in the first round or Take BPA. Which could be Bush. Listen Bush is a rare back that possibly could come out and play receiver in our system. He is 6-0 and 200 lbs with the ability to add 10lbs without losing any speed. He is not a 30 carry kind of guy, but he is a brian westbrook type gamebreaker with better hands and speed. The best RB at USC is Lendale White who could come out but if he is smart will wait and be the second back in the 2007 draft to A. Peterson. I look for us to take Bush, Ferguson, Winston, or McNeil. It is a little early to speculate on these things, but hell we are 0-5 going on 0-6 so why the hell not. Not like we are going to win the next 10 in a row. Plus management just missed on two easy trades for Lavar and Fonoti.

The only way we could make a trade like that is if another team hires Casserly...He's the whipping boy of all NFL GM's.

If a GM is ever in trouble of losing their job, trade with Casserly and you'll look like a genius

I think we're all forgetting who is in charge of our draft picks and crucial decisions. I think we will piss away our draft by aquiring some washup or troublemaker, and trading down to the 4th or 5th round.JMO

eriadoc said:
Perhaps I need to make better use of smileys. It was intended to sardonically point out the absurdity of trading Carr for a couple of offensive linemen. Thus, the quote.

Thanks for the rep hit though :)

The rep hit? I rarely use that feature, but thanks for the rep hits on me for thinking I did it.

" The Texans have already decided to pick up the buyback option in the contract of quarterback David Carr. "
Yup, there it is right out of the ESPN guys article. That's big news to us,
but it's buried at the very bottom of the ESPN artical. Wonder why no official
anouncement, no fanfare, no hup de la here in Houston. But Pasquarelli is a
man with a rep, would not think he would just make it up out of whole cloth.

Like I said pick up bush. Trade DD for a good LT. Any team with a need for a RB will take that. Then work on the rest but I could never pass up bush and Carr has the ability if he can just get the line.

Okay I am not good with contract lingo and stuff. What does it mean that we picked up Carrs option year of his contract?

Someone on here stated that we should pick Linehart and let Arizona offer Leonard Davis and picks. I mentioned that somewhere else on a thread. I believe that drafting the most coveted player for more than one team allows us to get what we want and not have to wait 4 years for it to develop. Remember year 5 is what we are talking about here.

I believe if we get another high 1st rounder, we need to get Bush if he is still available. Remember some of the reason Johnson gets stopped is because of the lack of an Andre Johnson on the other side. This puts a more than improving Gaffney back in the slot where he can dominate after his career year.

This brings up another scenario. I don't know what the Lions think of Harrington but maybe we could ask for Mike Williams and a first for our pick. We get the wideout we need and use that lower 1st round on the lineman we need.

Lots of stuff to imagine huh?

I happy to see that Carr knows the team is committed to him. These are tough games, but when we get to select a high pick or two, then it will give me a little hope for the next season.

El Tejano said:
What does it mean that we picked up Carrs option year of his contract?

They haven't done anything yet. ESPN was just reporting the same thing McClain has said which is the Texans have every intention of picking up one of the two options. Carr signed a 7 year contract which had milestones which he has met which void the last three years of the contract. The Texans have an option to pay $5.5 mil to get two years back or $8 mil to get three years back. If they don't exercise either by the last game of the season, he is an UFA.

Now we are drafting Bush as a #2 WR?

The Lions would take almost a $8 mil cap hit to trade either Williams--it ain't happening. Rogers, maybe but what you really going to pay for a guy who both craves and is as tough as a saltine cracker?

Not only should david carr get the bonus, but he should also get an extension. He has shown he can play above average when a far below average offensive line blocks. He has been hit countless times and belive me, he will pay more than 8 million in Medical bills. He will be living in pain every moment of his life when he retires. He deserves it.

mexican_texan said:
Not only should david carr get the bonus, but he should also get an extension. He has shown he can play above average when a far below average offensive line blocks. He has been hit countless times and belive me, he will pay more than 8 million in Medical bills. He will be living in pain every moment of his life when he retires. He deserves it.

I have no problem with keeping Carr, but the highlight statement is just wrong.

mexican_texan said:
if you think 170 yards passing is above average (along with his driving killing misfires on simple 3rd down passes). I think his 60 million dollars is quite enough compensation.

El Tejano said:
Okay I am not good with contract lingo and stuff. What does it mean that we picked up Carrs option year of his contract?

Someone on here stated that we should pick Linehart and let Arizona offer Leonard Davis and picks.
Leonard Davis sucks.

I did not mean on sunday, just in general. is there a backup in the NFL you would like to have over carr with this sorry excuse of an O-line?

I think his 60 million dollars is quite enough compensation.
I couldn't agree more. And if this happens I will just add it to the list of poor decisions to overpay below average players that the Texans have made.

Time to test the 'its the offensive lines fault' and put Carr in a different uniform, IMHO. Banks could put up the numbers that Carr has and he is a backup at best, IMHO.

thegr8fan said:
I couldn't agree more. And if this happens I will just add it to the list of poor decisions to overpay below average players that the Texans have made.

Are you saying the Texans should not exercise the option and just let Carr walk at the end of the season?

FYI to everyone, the $5.5 or $8 mil is not new money on top of the $60 mil it is part of the "up to" $60 mil.

The only problem with doing what you suggest with drafting Leinart is that we would have contract problems with whomever we picked up. Remember Phillip Rivers? He missed all of training camp, trying to get paid like a #1, when he was a #3. I'm sorry, but we don't have a Drew Brees at left tackle to dominate when Ferguson or whoever we trade for is too far behind to start at the beginning of the season.

Are you saying the Texans should not exercise the option and just let Carr walk at the end of the season?
yep, especially given the fact that they writing is on the walls saying that the entire team and management level will be gutted and rebuilt completely new.

honestly, what makes anyone think that Carr wants to stay. Getting beat to death, your fault, my fault, no ones fault, isn't a gr8 incentive to stay and get some more beatings.

Next season Carr is going to be looking at the same thing as his rookie season. A team that is starting out fresh and building. What makes anyone think that Carr can do better the second time around? His history? His toughness? His ability to adapt? Sorry but I don't think Carr is Houston's answer at QB. Cut the loses and let him go on somewhere where he might actually do something good.

thegr8fan said:
yep, especially given the fact that they writing is on the walls saying that the entire team and management level will be gutted and rebuilt completely new.

So what is your suggestion for a QB for the future? Carr walks down the road is certainly an option as it isn't like letting Peyton Manning go, but then what? Banks did ok prior to his hand injury (the last time he saw action) but IMO has looked like crud in both training camps and pre-season since. Ragone?--he is going to be an RFA after this year, so we can lock him up for a year at a reasonable rate but are you going to start him next year? Just curious what you see as the alternative.

As for motivation to stay, I would think having everything else gutted and you remain would be taken as a vote of confidence and odds are very bad we pull anyone in here to be head coach with anything close to as conservative reputation--1st there aren't that many of them and 2nd IMO McNair will make the sound business decision to have a decisive change. That all plays into what Carr wants--more passing, more shots down field, concentration on protecting him.

Huge said:
He'd make a better RG/RT than LT (All-Rookie when he played RG). Arizona is playing him out of position.
yeah...that isn't fair to Davis even though he does suck right now....but he isn't a LT. He is a classic road grader type.

You know, it's sad when we are barely past our 5th game and we are already looking into next year.

Well I thought that two until I saw Puljos jack one out to end the game. :confused:

Frills said:
Carr is a good QB, rare is the QB who can throw the ball while laying on his backside
Quite often he looks like the last soldier standing at Little Big Horn.The guy must have asked where in hell did all the indians come from.

I'm hoping this is standard NFL obfuscation & rumor and that we (at a minimum) hold our options open until much closer to the moment when the decision must be made. Carr at the moment is not anything like worth the money he makes or is scheduled to make, and I can't imagine that the owner is so delusional as to think otherwise. A great QB at four years in would pick this team up and carry it on his back. Carr has only occasionally seemed to be better than average.

Nighthawk said:
A great QB at four years in would pick this team up and carry it on his back.

People say this and sure an improvement at any position helps a team, but a QB plainly cannot do it by himself.

Since this isn't a team sport:
Culpepper (in the running for MVP last year) 1-4
McNair (co-MVP) 2-4
Green Bay (how many MVP's and one of the greats of all time) 1-4

Seems like they can only pick up so much.

infantrycak said:
People say this and sure an improvement at any position helps a team, but a QB plainly cannot do it by himself.

Since this isn't a team sport:
Culpepper (in the running for MVP last year) 1-4
McNair (co-MVP) 2-4
Green Bay (how many MVP's and one of the greats of all time) 1-4

Seems like they can only pick up so much.

I agree with both of you. I would like to see Carr at least provide one good performance this year. All three of those guys may be playing with a poor playing team, but they have not played as bad as Carr or at least have had a game that Carr only can aspire to.

It's too bad we can't get D'Brick and AJ Hawk. Or Jimmy Williams. Or how about D'Brick and Winston. Our book ends for the future. Does anyone in next years draft have multiple first round picks and need a QB?

bigTEXan8 said:
That's true. Do you think though that we could trade Leinart for an established LT?
Doubt it...then the team he goes to would need a LT... I think we just need to bite the bullet and draft one of the studs this year, pass on the skill guys and start rebuilding this thing inside out.

Elite LT's don't get abused...that's why they are elite. Will an elite guy struggle his first year?...sometimes, but not any more than Pitts will now.

Vinny said:
Elite LT's don't get abused...that's why they are elite. Will an elite guy struggle his first year?...sometimes, but not any more than Pitts will now.

Or Riley, or as I call him the "Texans Turnstile"... :goodnight

SESupergenius said:
You know, it's sad when we are barely past our 5th game and we are already looking into next year.
They always say to look for the bright spot in every situation and the fact is that is next year or the next. You can stop and smell the roses for awhile, but I'd rather move on to look for a silver lining. Cliche'

Back