Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Carr getting up to speed in Houston

Kubiak says he is taking the same approach he did with Plummer, rebuilding Carr's footwork and resetting his pre-snap reads of defensive fronts and coverages.

"We have to surround him with more talent to get David going." - Gary Kubiak

The biggest reason Houston may decide to select Bush? Southern California runs the same zone-blocking, one-cut-and-go system last year's fifth-ranked Broncos did.

"Reggie's been around that same system," Kubiak says. "I told the players recently, 'There's no greater friend to a quarterback than a running game.' It gives him a chance to throw against eight-man fronts. - Gary Kubiak

"I don't know what we're going to do with the pick, but I don't know how a guy like Reggie Bush can't help you," Carr says.

"I haven't ever seen a player who turns a corner like Reggie Bush does." - David Carr

I like these quotes.

Good to hear from the man who more than anyone else is going to decide what kind of a team we are.

"I know God didn't put me in this situation to just get beat up for four years," Carr says. "I know God had a plan for me to come here and help this franchise succeed.

Well then.

Hmmmmmm.

Uh, it is nice to learn that God is a Texans fan, I suppose. Let me adjourn whilst I read the Book of Job. :cool:

I thought all year last year that the biggest problem with Carr is that he has no one with the capability to take his job. This offseason he has been more active and vocal because he feels that Vince Young heat on his heel. If they draft Bush, and Steve McNair is a free agent they should throw that money at him. If he were here then Carr would finnaly have fear of loosing that spot. Too many people kissing his butt for too long. It is funny that it has taken him 4 years to figure it out, yea right, its all about that heat he did not just figure it out. Look at what it did for Drew out in Sand Diago. They brought in Rivers and Breese made the pro-bowl. It is funnay what athletes do when there is competition. If they have Sage as a back up, Kubiak will see the same Carr we all saw last year.

Texans_Chick said:
Well then.

Hmmmmmm.

Uh, it is nice to learn that God is a Texans fan, I suppose. Let me adjourn whilst I read the Book of Job. :cool:

Try Ezekiel - it has better predictions! :)

BigDave350 said:
If they have Sage as a back up, Kubiak will see the same Carr we all saw last year.

You don't always need competition to succeed in this league. I'm not sure how much competition Jake Plummer had these last two years in Denver. It's amazing what a little coaching can do to a player. I disagree that Carr will be the same QB from last year without a backup to push him. I remember watching the Rams game last year and Carr impressed the hell outta me that game. He had a great game, not just a great first half. He showed me what he can do when he actually has some time to pass. Now with Andre Johnson, Eric Moulds, Reggie Bush (presumably), Kevin Walter, and Jeb Putzier and a better offensive line (Flanagan and we've added some depth to the line through FA), I think David Carr will exceed most of the expectations we have of him considering what he's been through.

BigDave350 said:
I thought all year last year that the biggest problem with Carr is that he has no one with the capability to take his job. This offseason he has been more active and vocal because he feels that Vince Young heat on his heel. If they draft Bush, and Steve McNair is a free agent they should throw that money at him. If he were here then Carr would finnaly have fear of loosing that spot. Too many people kissing his butt for too long. It is funny that it has taken him 4 years to figure it out, yea right, its all about that heat he did not just figure it out. Look at what it did for Drew out in Sand Diago. They brought in Rivers and Breese made the pro-bowl. It is funnay what athletes do when there is competition. If they have Sage as a back up, Kubiak will see the same Carr we all saw last year.

If you wanted somebody Pushing on him, we should have picked up TO.:rolleyes:

Guess who "he" is...

"It's been a nice change as far as the intensity he brings," Carr said Tuesday ...

"I was excited about what we were doing last week (Carr also said). I didn't want to leave because of some of the things we were doing."

Carr does concede that Southern California running back Reggie Bush, a strong candidate to be Houston's top choice, would give the Texans a dynamic, immediate boost with his potential to create mismatches.

"I don't know what we're going to do with the pick, but I don't know how a guy like Reggie Bush can't help you," Carr says. "I haven't ever seen a player who turns a corner like Reggie Bush does."

ARRRGGGHHHHH! Dude be a leader. Say it does not matter who we bring in because we extended you, got an offensive minded coach and brought in quality need players on Offense. What a joke.

Sounds as if Carr is putting in the effort we knew Kubiak would require of him.

That was one of the main faults of Capers: No credibility.

Now there's a proven winner at the wheel, and a former QB at that, and the atmosphere of this team and its locker room is about to get healthier.

Kaiser Toro said:
Carr does concede that Southern California running back Reggie Bush, a strong candidate to be Houston's top choice, would give the Texans a dynamic, immediate boost with his potential to create mismatches.

"I don't know what we're going to do with the pick, but I don't know how a guy like Reggie Bush can't help you," Carr says. "I haven't ever seen a player who turns a corner like Reggie Bush does."

ARRRGGGHHHHH! Dude be a leader. Say it does not matter who we bring in because we extended you, got an offensive minded coach and brought in quality need players on Offense. What a joke.

That's weak. We get it already. You have a man crush on Williams. Give it up already. :brickwall

Kaiser Toro said:

OK, that is a little picky. What he said as it relates to Bush is just an accurate statement as it would relate to any team. You don't know what the reporter cut out of the sentence or what specific question Carr was asked. Maybe he said that exact thing you said he should have said to the reporter and it wasn't a part of the article.

To me, I didn't find that statement to be particularly eyebrow raising and generally I don't care for parsing athletes sentences trying to discern their inner character.

I didn't realize USC ran a similar system to that of the Broncos. :drool:

Carr will have alittle more margin for error throwing to Moulds and Walter compared to Bradford, who'd still drop good passes, and Gaffney. More talent surrounding him and MUCH better coaching should spell improvement for Carr.

Kaiser Toro said:

While I understand your stance on Carr (Yes, we should have let him test the market to see what he's worth out there) you gotta' let go of the Carr bashing until he shows what he can do this season. Then it's fair game.

I don't see anything wrong with his statements. In fact, me thinks he has also been given a personal speech trainer this offseason to help him with his public speaking skills.

Carr's doing what every player should do in his situation: Repeat what the media is saying, which is "..Reggie Bush is great. He's a great player. He will help any team he is on."

Sorry about the Carr bash people as I had stated I would not until he gave me something to complain about during the season. Moreover, I have started a new gig at work and needed to vent. Please continue to read the first of many fluff pieces on DC this year..

Kubiak insists Carr has "it," the skills, toughness and character to inspire.

Ah HA! Apparently the other well mentioned collegiate player is not the only one with IT. Good find, Frak.

[[Gary Kubiak]] said:
Gaffney - More miscommunication that anything. He got hit on the face and shoulderpads with the ball alot. I don't think he was going at full speed at all times. Awareness was very bad. The "gaff" against the raiders....

Gaffney was one of the few players that I actually enjoyed watching play last season. I didnt want to see him go but getting Moulds gives us a possesion wideout with better hands, more knowlege and better speed than Gaff provided. It's just tough seeing some of our original picks that gave us solid production through the years leave.

It is obvious you people never watch the Texans play. I wish I would have kept tags of how many times the guy bootleged out of bounds behind the line of scrimage last year, heck even a high school QB knows to throw the ball away. How many times did he get sacked by a defensive guy with a one handed tackle. I am a true believer that the coaches sucked the last 4 years, but on a consistant basis I saw a very weak QB, he consistantly made dumb decisions, and he never stood up as a leader. Am I being harsh on the guy, hell yea we were 2-12 last year.

BigDave350 said:
It is obvious you people never watch the Texans play. I wish I would have kept tags of how many times the guy bootleged out of bounds behind the line of scrimage last year, heck even a high school QB knows to throw the ball away. How many times did he get sacked by a defensive guy with a one handed tackle. I am a true believer that the coaches sucked the last 4 years, but on a consistant basis I saw a very weak QB, he consistantly made dumb decisions, and he never stood up as a leader. Am I being harsh on the guy, hell yea we were 2-12 last year.

I'm curious, have you anything positive to say about the team? Carr is spending a heck of a lot of time working on an offense that will let him play to his strengths, mainly getting outside of the pocket and passing the ball. Carr is more athletic than people give him credit, and only one terrible season removed from a 3500+ yard passing season. He made bad decisions, his line made bad decisions, his recievers made bad decisions, and his defense killed him in like 3-4 straight games this season. You remember all the times he went out of bounds, but forgot the games we were winning in the 4th but the defense lost it. Bradford of all people was his number one target when AJ went out for like 4 weeks with a leg injury. We'll never know if he fully recovered last season. And when things start to go downhill, the snowball just gets bigger. Last season sucked. Anyone on this message board knows that. Carr has a new arsenal of coaches who believe in him, new recievers to throw to who might actually draw coverage off of pro-bowler beginning his prime Andre Johnson, and the confidence of a new system that has worked in Denver taught by the master himself. I'm not quite sure how, but maybe his line will give him a chance to throw the ball to someone whos open and can catch it. When given the chance two years ago, he put up pretty good numbers, why doubt that he can get back there? I know you love Vince Young, but this is about David Carr, a guy who is physically gifted, and is probably smart enough to learn Kubiaks system. Carr might flop and never play football again, but he shows more than enough potential to give him this shot.

Texans_Chick said:
Well then.

Hmmmmmm.

you read my thoughts. So where has he been the last four seasons, and what happens to all the other players that believe they were intented for something greater ? :)

BigDave350 said:

I know you will find this hard to understand, but the coaches may well have told him to do that. They wanted to run the clock out and wanted to try to hit AJ even if it was the last 2nd of the possession. If you throw the ball away, you kill the clock and can't complete the possession to AJ or whomever else was the target. We had a strange group of coaches and I keep saying don't evaluate anyone on this ball club based on what they did under the previous staff unless it was truely exceptional like Mathis last year. They came close to ruining AJ and they might have done that to Carr. I think Kubiak sees a lot more in Carr than you do and I have reason to trust Kubiak's judgement over yours.

BigDave350 said:
You know....when you've got a coaching staff that hasn't done a damn thing in 4 years to keep you from getting killed as soon as the ball is snapped, you might do things a little differently too. Hopefully Carr is not too far gone from the inept "coaching" of the last 4 years, that Kubiak can get him back to the player he was drafted to be.

Malloy said:
you read my thoughts. So where has he been the last four seasons, and what happens to all the other players that believe they were intented for something greater ? :)
Hey Flanders, it's no use praying. I already did the same thing, and we can't both win. -Homer J. Simpson

TexanSam said:
You don't always need competition to succeed in this league. I'm not sure how much competition Jake Plummer had these last two years in Denver. It's amazing what a little coaching can do to a player. I disagree that Carr will be the same QB from last year without a backup to push him. I remember watching the Rams game last year and Carr impressed the hell outta me that game. He had a great game, not just a great first half. He showed me what he can do when he actually has some time to pass. Now with Andre Johnson, Eric Moulds, Reggie Bush (presumably), Kevin Walter, and Jeb Putzier and a better offensive line (Flanagan and we've added some depth to the line through FA), I think David Carr will exceed most of the expectations we have of him considering what he's been through.

Jake Plummer had the pressure and expectations of every teammate,coach, and fan that he would come in and be able to play at the necessary level in order to maintain the Bronco's (a winning organization's) success. No one on the Texans roster has ever experienced that type of success here, so the expectations aren't the same. Besides, Plummer was on his second team, you either have to prove you can play there or be out the league. Sometimes what a player needs (especially QBs) is a change of scenery. But I see no reason why Carr shouldn't perform...

I do have positive things to say about the Texans, I have said over and over agiain that this offseason has been awsome. We have filled almost every hole. I speak with my brother in Lousiania about the Texans every day, the Moulds pick up, Weaver, Flan. I say over and over again how awsome I think D. Davis is. I just think you people are not keeping it real. No coach is going to tell a QB to run out of bounds 5 yards behind the line of scrimage whe he can just flick it into the stands, you people get real !!!!! I have seen and have film I can post on here of David Carr being sacked by a guy who never touched him, David curled into a ball when the defensive end was 4 yards away from him and fell into one of our o-linemen, the defensive end never even touched the guy untill David was flat on the ground. In fact David did not have any pressure on him from his backside he was just standing there and he saw the end comming and fell to the ground. Now that is what David Carr brings to the table. You say that it is our o-lines fault that he did that, I say the guy is being paid more than any other player on the field except maybe AJ and he is paid to make a read and throw the ball, or scramble and buy some time not waddle up in a ball and fall into your OL. I am not negative about the Texans I just see Carr's true color, yellow!

BigDave350 said:
I do have positive things to say about the Texans, I have said over and over agiain that this offseason has been awsome. We have filled almost every hole. I speak with my brother in Lousiania about the Texans every day, the Moulds pick up, Weaver, Flan. I say over and over again how awsome I think D. Davis is. I just think you people are not keeping it real. No coach is going to tell a QB to run out of bounds 5 yards behind the line of scrimage whe he can just flick it into the stands, you people get real !!!!! I have seen and have film I can post on here of David Carr being sacked by a guy who never touched him, David curled into a ball when the defensive end was 4 yards away from him and fell into one of our o-linemen, the defensive end never even touched the guy untill David was flat on the ground. In fact David did not have any pressure on him from his backside he was just standing there and he saw the end comming and fell to the ground. Now that is what David Carr brings to the table. You say that it is our o-lines fault that he did that, I say the guy is being paid more than any other player on the field except maybe AJ and he is paid to make a read and throw the ball, or scramble and buy some time not waddle up in a ball and fall into your OL. I am not negative about the Texans I just see Carr's true color, yellow!

If you haven't played QB ever in your life, then please don't try to convince me what a QB is or is not supposed to do. You have no idea what he is thinking in those situtations. If you going to criticize him do so talking about bad INTs at least you would make more sense too. Otherwise stop hating on Carr because like it or not he is our QB of the future if you just can't accept that then please don't root for the Texans. This goes out to all the Carr Haters.

Lucky said:
Pendry. And your point is?

My point is that words are nice (sometimes), and the excitement of change goes only so far - like until the regular season starts, or maybe even before when it's all proven on the field, or not, once again.

In laymans terms, I am in a state of guarded optimism, not mushy gushyness. Hearing that our highly paid 5th year veteran QB is "putting in the work" shouldn't be news or a reason to break out the kazoos and party hats, should it?

Ibar_Harry said:
I know you will find this hard to understand, but the coaches may well have told him to do that. They wanted to run the clock out and wanted to try to hit AJ even if it was the last 2nd of the possession. If you throw the ball away, you kill the clock and can't complete the possession to AJ or whomever else was the target. We had a strange group of coaches and I keep saying don't evaluate anyone on this ball club based on what they did under the previous staff unless it was truely exceptional like Mathis last year. They came close to ruining AJ and they might have done that to Carr. I think Kubiak sees a lot more in Carr than you do and I have reason to trust Kubiak's judgement over yours.

Since we are commenting on football I have to disagree. At least two times last year I was lambasted for wanting Carr to stay in bounds in late game situations, but he went out of bounds stopping the clock. We talked about the defense givng up late game scores, but it was the play calls on offense and the horrible clock management that gave the opposing offense time to play.

I just do not see this guy having any feel for the game. Kubiak hopefully will provide that comfort zone where the game slows down for him so decisions become easy to make.

Texans_Chick said:
Well then.

Hmmmmmm.

If God is a Texans fan why the heck did he let us go 2 - 14 last year. Could have done with some divine intervention:rolleyes:

"I understand the fans here wanting Vince Young," Carr says. "But the part that drives me is that we were 2-14 and they can replace you with anybody.

"All of us on this team have to prove we deserve these jobs, me and (receiver) Andre Johnson included. We have to show our coaching staff and fans we deserve to be here.

Carr is putting in long hours to assimilate Kubiak's proven system.
These are the quotes I like to see.
"This offense is so exciting. You have to have a good running game. You have to have the threat of play action. We haven't had that the last few years.
"All those bootlegs Gary ran with Jake, John Elway and Steve Young fit my strengths. If the running game is successful, that's when you get this offense really going."
This upsets me
Kubiak says he is taking the same approach he did with Plummer, rebuilding Carr's footwork and resetting his pre-snap reads of defensive fronts and coverages.

TexanSam said:
You don't always need competition to succeed in this league. I'm not sure how much competition Jake Plummer had these last two years in Denver.

If you can remember back far enough..... can you remember Jake Plummer playing as bad as David has?? I don't know what the stats are, I'd bet David has fewer ints...... and probably better stats all around. But I can't ever remember thinking Jake was anything less than a really good QB on a bad team. I'm sorry, but David, to me, looks like an average QB, who is behind on his development, on a bad team.

Texans86 said:
I'm curious, have you anything positive to say about the team? Carr is spending a heck of a lot of time working on an offense that will let him play to his strengths, mainly getting outside of the pocket and passing the ball. He made bad decisions, his line made bad decisions, his recievers made bad decisions, and his defense killed him in like 3-4 straight games this season. You remember all the times he went out of bounds, but forgot the games we were winning in the 4th but the defense lost it.

Since when has getting outside of the pocket and passing been one of David's strengths?? I do believe moving the pocket will help ease the pressure on him, but I don't think playing on the run is a strength of David's..... Plummer Yes..... Hasselback?? Yes...... Favre?? oh Yeah....... Carr?? I haven't seen it.....

And while everyone on this team has made bad decisions, they don't all get the "pass" that David gets.......... Gaffney, IMHO, should be on this team. He is our second round pick, and I think he's going to be a big name soon. I'm happy with Moulds, but I'd take Gaffney in 3 years over whereever Moulds might be. Johnathan Wells...... not stellar by any stretch of the imagination. But him & Morency will do better IMHO behing Kubiaks offensive line, than they did last year, and they did pretty good last year.

Speedy said:
You know....when you've got a coaching staff that hasn't done a damn thing in 4 years to keep you from getting killed as soon as the ball is snapped, you might do things a little differently too. Hopefully Carr is not too far gone from the inept "coaching" of the last 4 years, that Kubiak can get him back to the player he was drafted to be.
You do know that so far, we haven't done anything different concerning the offensive line..... One FA, & more than likely draft someone in the third... So you can't really be happy with what we've done there, if you think the old regime didn't do a damn thing. I'll say it again. If Flanagan is the only new face of our starting 5, then you guys have got to admit that Carr was a bigger part of the problem than the "conservative" 20 sacks that Kubiak said he was.

BigDave350 said:
props

aj. said:
Hearing that our highly paid 5th year veteran QB is "putting in the work" shouldn't be news or a reason to break out the kazoos and party hats, should it?
Considering the unsubstantiated criticism Carr has gotten for not “putting in the work”, I don’t see where a little offseason fluff piece hurts. And Carr will always attempt to put a positive spin on the Texans preparations, because he’s a company man. Maybe he should have said, “Pendry’s offense will set back the game of football 50 years.” But that will never happen, because that’s not what David Carr is about.

Or Reggie Bush, for that matter. They aren’t the kind of guys who gripe and moan when things don’t go their way. Does that make them boring? Maybe, but I’ll take that over the pot stirring that comes with a Terrell Owens or even a Brett Favre.

texplayer2 said:
If you wanted somebody Pushing on him, we should have picked up TO.:rolleyes:

We wanted to puch him to get better, not go over the edge of a psychological cliff.

I do not think TO can be a mentor to anyone in the NFL. Except a mentor to his ego and eventually that explodes in your face when it gets too big.

mancunian said:
If God is a Texans fan why the heck did he let us go 2 - 14 last year. Could have done with some divine intervention:rolleyes:

Maybe....just maybe...he/she saw Reggie Bush coming up and whispered in Reggies ear...."come out in your junior year....our Texans are waiting". :D

:coffee:

Hulk75 said:
God has a plan for everyone of us, David found his, and it is not a plan for him to get beat down every Sunday.

Have you read the book of Job??

:superman:

cuppacoffee said:
Maybe....just maybe...he/she saw Reggie Bush coming up and whispered in Reggies ear...."come out in your junior year....our Texans are waiting". :D

There is the divine intervention

Speedy said:
Hey Flanders, it's no use praying. I already did the same thing, and we can't both win. -Homer J. Simpson

hehe, nobody says it like the man! :)

I also read about scientific investigation made in the US recently concerning the effects of prayer. It showed that praying actually increases the chance of sick patients dying. Spooky. So PLEASE do not include the Texans in your prayers, we'll get another loosing season! ;)

bigTEXan8 said:
I thought it was Revelations?

No........ people were saying that it can't be God's plan for David to get beat on.... the Book of Job teaches us that God may not have planned it that way, but you're taking the beating none the less.

Señor Stan said:
Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar = Carr bashers.

At the end of the book Job was rewarded with twice as much as he had before.

I was asking Hulk71.

thunderkyss said:
You do know that so far, we haven't done anything different concerning the offensive line..... One FA, & more than likely draft someone in the third... So you can't really be happy with what we've done there, if you think the old regime didn't do a damn thing. I'll say it again. If Flanagan is the only new face of our starting 5, then you guys have got to admit that Carr was a bigger part of the problem than the "conservative" 20 sacks that Kubiak said he was.
Geez...you think the oline is the only determining factor in sacks. oh...well of course you don't. Half of it's Carr's fault for running out of bounds.:rolleyes: When I say they haven't done anything, I'm talking about putting weapons around him as well. Not just oline help. When you have to keep almost everyone in to block with max protect, and the only guys you have in the pattern are Gaffney and Bradford, I don't care who you are, you're not going to be very successful. And let's not forget '04 when AJ was healthy, Carr manages to throw for 3,500 yards.

When the only person on the football field the defense has to worry about is Davis, they're going to pin their ears back and come after you. Especially when your scheme is so simplistic that defenses are salivating to play you.

Well, guess what, Carr finally has some help. Defenses are going to have a lot to worry about this year. AJ, Moulds, Bush, Davis, a TE, better schemes. better game plan, better coaching. We'll get to see just what this guy's made of.

cuppacoffee said:

im not one for conspiracy theories...but the end of the rams game was positively epic. I dont even believe in god and im headscratching on that a little bit

Hulk75 said:
Yes, he has to go through the "valley" and go through some unbelievable things to get what God has in store for him.

I know the book of Job, my grandfather was a minister for 30 years.

Job lost a lot, a whole lot, but it was all paid back to him and better then before because he was faithful and trusted in God.

Lived untill he was 140, and had a long, good "career":) I mean life.

DYK-And in Job the real King of Beasts is the Crocodile.:)
I don't think football wins and losses correlate to being rewarded for faith in God. There are good Christians (or fill in the religion) on both sides of the ball.

Back