Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Carr/Dolphins getting serious

aquafin

Practice Squad
I am reading that the Dolphins are in serious discussions with Texans about David Carr. Perhaps the Trent Green interest is waning in recent days...maybe recent hours is more appropriate.

Looks like Culpepper is not going to be back with the Dolphins. That's the vibe I'm getting. Take it for what it is worth. We have a GM now in Randy Meuller. He's a number guy and also very rational. He knows it makes no sense to Pay Culpepper 50 million over the next 5 years. I think thus far he and Cameron have been working very well together.

That leaves us with just one QB...Cleo Lemon.

I think we will know something as soon as today, but I think Dolphin/Texans negotians are somewhat "advanced" at this point.

I guess we will go into camp with a Carr/Lemon battle for the starting job, and perhaps we'll draft a QB to have waiting in the wings. Culpepper might end up in Oakland???

The one caveat to all this is that the Dolphins are using the discussions about Carr as a bluff to try to get Trent Green to redo his contract and come to the Dolphins??

Some reports I heard was that a deal has been in place for Carr all we where waiting on was the Schaub deal to be finilized, thats done so Carr will more then likely be out of Hou. by the end of next week. He could headed your way we shall see.

And details of the trade on your end?(i.e. whats Hou getting for Carr.)

I'd rather he goes to Miami than Oakland. I think he'd be in another no-win situation in Oakland. (literally and figuratively)

I am reading that the Dolphins are in serious discussions with Texans about David Carr. Perhaps the Trent Green interest is waning in recent days...maybe recent hours is more appropriate.

Looks like Culpepper is not going to be back with the Dolphins. That's the vibe I'm getting. Take it for what it is worth. We have a GM now in Randy Meuller. He's a number guy and also very rational. He knows it makes no sense to Pay Culpepper 50 million over the next 5 years. I think thus far he and Cameron have been working very well together.

I think we will know something as soon as today, but I think Dolphin/Texans negotians are somewhat "advanced" at this point.

I guess we will go into camp with a Carr/Lemon battle for the starting job, and perhaps we'll draft a QB to have waiting in the wings. Culpepper might end up in Oakland???

The one caveat to all this is that the Dolphins are using the discussions about Carr as a bluff to try to get Trent Green to redo his contract and come to the Dolphins??
I dunno why the Dolphins would be trying to work out a deal with the Texans
now when they could wait for them to release Carr and work out the same
deal without having to surrender a Draft pick to the Texans ? Unless you know
of another team that is also seriously interested in Carr ?

shhhhh don't give miami any ideas. We need more picks and we have to get something for carr even if it is a second day pick who knows.... maybe a 6th pick and the person we pick up with that pick is the next marcus colston....

My take on this is that if Oakland and Miami, along with any other team that may be in the run for a QB before the draft, is serious about Carr then they have to work something with the Texans before he gets cut or risk losing what could possibly be the last notable QB on the market to a team Carr gets to choose from.

I beleive Carr would rather be a Raider therefor forcing Miami's hand.

At least he would be going to a team I like as appose to say Jacksonville.

That would be a nightmare.

well the reason is from my understanding is that if carr is simply released then he's probably headed home to oakland...by trading for him miami not only gets him but sends a message to carr that they want him there...after the way things have happened here in houston if they feel he's their guy that's a message they need to send him

What are we going to do with ourselves we the mods start moving all the Carr threads to the NFL section?

Its Carr choice were he goes, and I just happened to look at your Depth chart on ESPN and you guys dont really have a lot of OLineman do you. It looked like you guys dont even have a Center according to your roster on ESPN.:confused:

Its Carr choice were he goes, and I just happened to look at your Depth chart on ESPN and you guys dont really have a lot of OLineman do you. It looked like you guys dont even have a Center according to your roster on ESPN.:confused:

Unless you know something we don't, there is no way that "Carr gets the choice" of what team picks up the remainder of his contract.

Hey Hulk give David our best,I hope he finds a team that fits him and he has a true chance of succeding. I think this move will be best for everyone involved.

Hulk is Carr's brother...

I don't care if he's Carr's jock strap, noone gets an inflated contract, that was an admitted mistake during the Schaub presser, then get your choice as to what team pick's the remainder of the contract up. The only possibility here is that Carr agreed to restructure with the Texans to make him more marketable.

I don't care if he's Carr's jock strap, noone gets an inflated contract, that was an admitted mistake during the Schaub presser, then get your choice as to what team pick's the remainder of the contract up. The only possibility here is that Carr agreed to restructure with the Texans to make him more marketable.

Im pretty sure if we trade Carr, he has to agree to a new contract to complete any deal...(sign and trade)...

I hope they send him to NFL Europe ;)

I won't stoop that low, I hope David has a successful career in the NFL and I beleive the potential is still there. He just has to find a team dedicated to him as well as a team with an established leadership.

Justified or not. Some of you underestimate Carr's value around the league. The perception out there was his problems were all the Oline's fault.

There are about 3-4 teams would like to get a veteran before the draft and noone wants to get in a bidding war over a UFA.

Especially if they think they need one.

That's the problem right there. I don't think there are many (any) teams willing to pick up Carr's contract as is. The new team is going to want to restructure his deal. That is the sticking point in the KC / Miami negotiations with Trent Green.

If that's the case, and a team wants to restructure, the David can pretty much choose where he is willing to go. He doesn't HAVE to re-do his deal if he doesn't want to. If a team wants to pick up the full tab, he has no choice other than pull a Plummer and retire.

I still feel a team that wants Carr is best suited to work out a sign and trade. I think they would get a better deal than if they waited until he hit the open market and was available for any team to sign.

Señor Stan;637547 said:
That's the problem right there. I don't think there are many (any) teams willing to pick up Carr's contract as is. The new team is going to want to restructure his deal. That is the sticking point in the KC / Miami negotiations with Trent Green.

If that's the case, and a team wants to restructure, the David can pretty much choose where he is willing to go. He doesn't HAVE to re-do his deal if he doesn't want to. If a team wants to pick up the full tab, he has no choice other than pull a Plummer and retire.

I still feel a team that wants Carr is best suited to work out a sign and trade. I think they would get a better deal than if they waited until he hit the open market and was available for any team to sign.

Much of the speculated value as far as Carr goes has been based off of his current contract. Depending on what may be worked out between the Texans organization and Carr, this could be a whole different ball game.

For the same exact reason we traded for Schaub now instead of waiting for him to become a UFA next year.

Teams are full of it. They will all tell you they aren't interested, but as soon as he became a UFA, I guarantee several teams will get in a bidding war. So by trading for him (and the price isn't that high) they don't have to mess with all that. So if you want him, why not give up a 3rd or 4th round pick and you're done.

And I could definitely see this working. Dom Capers will probably tell them how great Carr is, they just dumped Harrington, they will dump Culpepper, and neither of the top 2 QBs will be there at #9.

So their only options seem to be Trent Green or David Carr. And I'd rather have Carr if I were them based on the upside. Green's career is almost done.

Señor Stan;637547 said:

I agree, the contract is possibly a big problem.

I mentioned this in another thread: I would consider trading Carr for a trade-down (That is, losing Carr and trading down a pick), just to get rid of his contract. Unless we have someone actually wanting Carr, this would be a road that I personally would be willing to walk down. Minimize the damage, get rid of the contract.

Untill the Texans release him, Carr can be trade with or with-out his consent. Why is a sign and trade reguired? Nw if a team wants to make restructuring his contract part of the deal then he can force where he goes, or he can pull a Plummer and threaten to not report/retire...but that'll make him look like an ass; something he has never really done in the past.

Miami may not be the No Cal but I think it would give Carr a good chance at success, more then Oakland probably.

How about Carr for Booker rather then a pick. This would upgrade our 2nd WR position and let us focus draft picks on OL and defense?

Im pretty sure if we trade Carr, he has to agree to a new contract to complete any deal...(sign and trade)...

Here is what the probem is: If he is traded to another team, and that team decides to keep his contract, then he is traded, if I am not mistaken. But, if he is traded and asked to renegotiate his contract, he has the option to say no, which means no trade. The Fins would have to take on his contract for this to go down. If DC says no to a renegotiation, the Texans will not have any choice but to release him. If this happens, it is best for other teams if he is released right away. It is best for the Texans to either trade him, or make him a June 1st casualty. Either way, DC does have some say in it.

Justified or not. Some of you underestimate Carr's value around the league. The perception out there was his problems were all the Oline's fault.
There are about 3-4 teams would like to get a veteran before the draft and noone wants to get in a bidding war over a UFA.
Especially if they think they need one.
If there is a market of 3-4 teams vying for DC, then the competition among them might give the Texans some leverage that wouldn't be there otherwise
if the Dolphins were a market of one.
But under any scenario a team(s) bidding for DC has got to go thru him and his agent to restructure his contract, as the existing terms are just too
onerous to be assumed.

Not only will the Carr Lovers go away, but so will the Carr Haters too.

But then again, they may not... Afterall, what else can they discuss??

If there is a market of 3-4 teams vying for DC, then the competition among them might give the Texans some leverage that wouldn't be there otherwise
if the Dolphins were a market of one.
But under any scenario a team(s) bidding for DC has got to go thru him and his agent to restructure his contract, as the existing terms are just too
onerous to be assumed.

Agreed. I was merely trying to debunk the myth that there are no other teams interested in Carr.

A popular opinion on this board is that the Texans will not be able to trade him because no one wants him.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

At least he would be going to a team I like as appose to say Jacksonville.

That would be a nightmare.

I would love to see Carr go to the Jags, actually. I think he'd be in a better position to have some success there, but even more importantly, it would really amp up the rivalry between our team and theirs. It would be fun.

HULK - I've heard you are Carr's brother. Can you tell us if you've even heard the rumor that there will be draft pick compensation, or if we're just handing over the guy who's going to come back and smack us around throwing TD's to Randy Moss over Faggins shoulders?

I would love to see Carr go to the Jags, actually. I think he'd be in a better position to have some success there, but even more importantly, it would really amp up the rivalry between our team and theirs. It would be fun.

Riiiiight...., 6 of Carr's 22 wins came against them... who would he beat if he couldn't play them?

Back