Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Cardinals release Deandre Hopkins

It was said they couldn't get a trade done is because Hop was unwilling to restructure his contract so teams just waited it out until tghe Cardinals finally released him.

He's been injured a lot the past two years plus the PED suspension

10 games played in 21
9 in 22 suspended for 4 and injured 5

I think there is zero chance the Texans bring him back.

agreed with the last part

i think his game ages well...
he was never quick or fast
great hands, understands space, physical & crafty
i'd take ageing Hopkins over ageing Odell

not for 20mil though

I don’t view Hopkins as a WR1, but a solid WR2. Hopkins could jump back into the mix if he’d be willing to line up as SWR. He’d be a mismatch each time he was on the field. Wish him all the luck signing with a new team that sees him as a SWR. Surprised Watson hasn’t asked him to come and join the Browns.

Hopkins previously stated that he wasn't seeking a "raise"............from his $20 million yearly salary. Injuries, suspensions and age have undoubtedly decreased his value, although Hopkins is unlikely to accept this.

*******************************************************************************************************

DeAndre Hopkins’s financial expectations, representation could be an impediment to a deal
Posted by Mike Florio on May 27, 2023, 9:25 AM EDT

Receiver DeAndre Hopkins is free to sign with anyone. But the contract won’t be anywhere close to free.

As one source explained it to PFT on Saturday morning, Hopkins currently expects to secure a significant contract on the open market. The problem, however, is that no one wanted to trade for his prior deal, which paid less than $20 million this year.

Early in the process, there was a belief that Hopkins would want an adjustment that replaced the back end of his existing contract, which had two years remaining.

There’s another complication. Although Hopkins said during an early March appearance with Pat McAfee that Hopkins has hired an agent for this next phase of his career, NFL Players Association records reveal that he is unrepresented.

Per multiple sources, the notorious Saint Omni is “running the show” for Hopkins. At least one viable contender for Hopkins’s services is leery about dealing with Omni. And for good reason. Last year, the NFL specifically warned all teams not to deal with Omni or any other non-certified agent in connection with linebacker Roquan Smith.

Although Omni has managed to work in the shadows, or more conspicuously, on behalf of players like Smith and Texans tackle Laremy Tunsil, if a team that otherwise would be aggressively pursuing Hopkins opts to back away because it’s not comfortable dealing with Omni, that necessarily limits the player’s potential options.

Thus, between the player’s expectations and unofficial representation, it might not be as simple and as seamless as it would seem for Hopkins to land on a new team.

Seth Payne compared Hopkins to Anquan Boldin. It’s a good comparison and I can see D Hop being productive like Boldin after 30 years old due to their playing style. But like Boldin, I think his “ceiling” is capped at around 80 catches 1100 yards 6 tds/season. Which imo, is not worth the salary he would be asking for, especially for this team.

Don’t do it Texans! They just wiped their hands with their last bloated WR contract. Too early to add another:

The media, some Texans fans, and even Hopkins have made a campaign of propagating false rumors, innuendos and unlikely scenarios. I feel sorry for those who ever believed that Hopkins or the Texans ever truly wanted anything to do with a reunion.

Not that I think there's a prayer of D-Hop coming back to Houston, but I think that's a good thing.
Not just the fact I don't think he's worth what he's asking for, but with Ryans in the house building a new culture for the Texans, I am no longer sure D-Hop fits into that culture. Unless a guy like that is already on the roster, I don't think you add him to the mix.

I'm sorry for the constant comparisons, but look at AJ Green with the Bengals. I still love AJ. A true pro and was a joy to watch in his prime. He was here during Burrow's rookie season and then left quickly the following season. Hate to say it, but what he brought to the field his last season never looked like a fit in what Zac Taylor was doing.

The Texans probably will and rightfully should just move on. Nothing to see here, we are building what we have.

Sorry guys, but I'm interested in kicking the tires on this aging sedan, to see if it can run a year or two.

I'm not down with some sort of long-term commitment, but if health checks out, and he'd take a 1 or 2 year deal at a relatively reasonable price tag, I'm on it like flies on poop.

Hop easily becomes the best WR on this team and resumes his WR1 role. He elevates what is arguably a bottom 5 WR room and takes it up a class or two.

He also makes CJ's transition from college to Pro much easier. If in trouble, just toss it anywhere close and Hop will bail him out. His catch radius is insane.

So, yes I'm interested...with some limitations. If he's looking for huge numbers over 4 yrs, I'll pass. But if he can't find that deal elsewhere, bring the dude home and let him ball out here for 1 or 2 years.

Tell me this WR room isn't much better in 2023 with Mr. Hopkins around than without...

Dhop
R Woods
Nico Collins
Tank Dell
** J Metchie (if healthy)
Noah Brown

** Xavier Hutchinson PS or #6 if J Metchie is a scratch

If he is 2020 or earlier DHop, than his asking price would be more palatable.
But he's not. He's the 30 year old WR that hasn't played more than 10 games in a season for the past two seasons.
One of those seasons was because of a PED suspension and injuries are more than a minor concern.
Don't get me wrong, I love what the guy has done in the league and wish him well.

I simply don't think he fits the direction the team is going with Ryans as the coach.
I could be way off on this and he may go off this year for 1500 yards. I'm not betting on it however.

Hopkins would instantly be WR1 and give you Anquan Boldin production. High likelihood he signs a one year deal and is gone the next season. But the Texans already sent their first to Arizona and may be all in on chasing that AFC South banner this season. Hopkins would make them the front runner imo.

But i’d prepare to give the young guys reps and let them grow together. Hopkins would take at least 10 targets per game away and I only see them throwing 30 times per game. Want the ball spread around to the young players who may improve with less headaches/baggage.

Hopkins would instantly be WR1 and give you Anquan Boldin production. High likelihood he signs a one year deal and is gone the next season. But the Texans already sent their first to Arizona and may be all in on chasing that AFC South banner this season. Hopkins would make them the front runner imo.

But i’d prepare to give the young guys reps and let them grow together. Hopkins would take at least 10 targets per game away and I only see them throwing 30 times per game. Want the ball spread around to the young players who may improve with less headaches/baggage.

I guess it just depends on how good is the current WR room. I will say from afar that there appears to be a lot of goodwill and positive energy about the team. I know nothing about Hopkins's "baggage" but the LAST thing the team needs is a primadonna that poisons the locker room.

I’d take Hop at a discount rate in a heartbeat.

He’s an awesome receiver still and would be a definite upgrade.

And I don’t buy the Easterby attitude towards the man.

I’d take Hop at a discount rate in a heartbeat.

He’s an awesome receiver still and would be a definite upgrade.

And I don’t buy the Easterby attitude towards the man.

I don’t see him coming at a discount. But the Texans can afford him on a one year deal if they want him. They are one of the few teams that can.

My concern is availibilty and how he affects the culture in the locker room. Its been an issue with the Texans and Cards about him and not practicing.

Reactions: JB
One thing that needs to be taken into account is that Hopkins has never been in a WCO. It's a timing offense, and Hopkins is used to option routes and running to open space. That's why I thought the Patriots might be a fit. I just don't think inserting a 30 year old WR into a new offense would be as seamless as some think.

Not that I think there's a prayer of D-Hop coming back to Houston, but I think that's a good thing.
Not just the fact I don't think he's worth what he's asking for, but with Ryans in the house building a new culture for the Texans, I am no longer sure D-Hop fits into that culture. Unless a guy like that is already on the roster, I don't think you add him to the mix.

I'm sorry for the constant comparisons, but look at AJ Green with the Bengals. I still love AJ. A true pro and was a joy to watch in his prime. He was here during Burrow's rookie season and then left quickly the following season. Hate to say it, but what he brought to the field his last season never looked like a fit in what Zac Taylor was doing.

I saw this and agree with a lot of their thoughts ... https://torotimes.com/posts/does-fr...opkins-make-sense-for-the-texans-01h1wae8kdm0

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm him, I'd be interested in getting on a team that has a high probability of winning a championship over the next 2 years even at a discount (not vet minimum). He has plenty of money so the SB ring should be his primary focus, but never count out greed.

- I agree with the thought of the need for a stud #1 WR. Not sure I agree that DHop is that anymore, but again I could be wrong. The article asked the same question.
- What DHop is looking for in salary is certainly a question.
- If the story is now that DHop would come back, that is interesting, but that wasn't his position initially.
- Again, he's only a "massive help" if he's 2020 or earlier DHop. If he's the 2021 or 2022 version, he's not.
- The other perspective I have mentioned previously is what type of culture is Ryans building with the Texans? If the report that the Texans met with DHop over the past weekend is true and Ryans was both part of that and feels adding DHop is a plus for the team, than that would be a plus in my mind. However, I have no idea what type of culture or system Ryans is building so there's that as well.

Bottomline for me is I would be excited to have DHop back, but would be cautiously optimistic at the same time.

For those wanting to bring DHop back here, please tell me why Az is eating $21M in dead money this year if DHop is all that? The Cardinals have more cap space than the Texans and the only WR of note they have now is Marquise Brown.

For those wanting to bring DHop back here, please tell me why Az is eating $21M in dead money this year if DHop is all that? The Cardinals have more cap space than the Texans and the only WR of note they have now is Marquise Brown.

I'm like you. I always liked Nuk, but his time has come and gone as a Texans. And the Texans are hoping to start a new era, free from the drama of the past.

Let sleeping dogs lie, and let Hopkins find his money and/or ring somewhere that just needs a good WR. Texans need a lot more than that right now.

That said, if DeMeco decides he's a good fit for his team, then so be it. I'd root him on accordingly.

images

Sorry guys, but I'm interested in kicking the tires on this aging sedan, to see if it can run a year or two.

I'm not down with some sort of long-term commitment, but if health checks out, and he'd take a 1 or 2 year deal at a relatively reasonable price tag, I'm on it like flies on poop.

Hop easily becomes the best WR on this team and resumes his WR1 role. He elevates what is arguably a bottom 5 WR room and takes it up a class or two.

He also makes CJ's transition from college to Pro much easier. If in trouble, just toss it anywhere close and Hop will bail him out. His catch radius is insane.

So, yes I'm interested...with some limitations. If he's looking for huge numbers over 4 yrs, I'll pass. But if he can't find that deal elsewhere, bring the dude home and let him ball out here for 1 or 2 years.

Really? The guy doesn't like practice and now he reportedly just shuts it down for whatever prima donna reason. And all for a hefty price tag.

He doesn't want to come back to Houston anyway. He does, however, want to use Houston to try and drive up his price.

Really? The guy doesn't like practice and now he reportedly just shuts it down for whatever prima donna reason. And all for a hefty price tag.

He doesn't want to come back to Houston anyway. He does, however, want to use Houston to try and drive up his price.
:cricket: :cricket: :cricket:

And you know that how? You are pulling a Texian and stating opinion as fact. He has family here, and reporting so far is his interest is serious.

And you know that how? You are pulling a Texian and stating opinion as fact. He has family here, and reporting so far is his interest is serious.

Why would he want to come here? It'll be a couple of years at the very least before the Texans are relevant and he'll be approaching his mid 30's by then. You'd think he'd want to go somewhere where he'd have a chance to win as his career starts to wind down.

Plus he's going to want to get paid one last time as well. I don't even think the Texans would be interested in that. As I said in the other thread, there's a lot of young WRs coming into the league every year where you don't have to give big money to these wrong side of 30 WRs.

Plus he's going to want to get paid one last time as well.
What he wants may not matter.

I can see a team wanting to make a push wanting to sign him for big money for a year, I can see a middling team willing to sign for 4 years, expecting to let him go after 3... but not for "big money"

I don't really see anyone wanting to sign him for big money & multiple years.

Like you said, too many young's coming out of college contributing from day 1.

What he wants may not matter.

I can see a team wanting to make a push wanting to sign him for big money for a year, I can see a middling team willing to sign for 4 years, expecting to let him go after 3... but not for "big money"

I don't really see anyone wanting to sign him for big money & multiple years.

Like you said, too many young's coming out of college contributing from day 1.

Good point. But I think a team that’s close would be more inclined to sign him for big money even if it is fewer years. He can help a team that’s already a contender try to go deeper. Makes no sense for the Texans to do it. And it really makes no sense for him to want to come back unless he doesn’t care about a ring and the Texans offer him stupid money.

Good point. But I think a team that’s close would be more inclined to sign him for big money even if it is fewer years. He can help a team that’s already a contender try to go deeper. Makes no sense for the Texans to do it. And it really makes no sense for him to want to come back unless he doesn’t care about a ring and the Texans offer him stupid money.

At this point, his best landing spot would be the Browns or Lions. Both teams could be close and adding a motivated and healthy DHop would be a benefit.

Dhop is not a #1 anymore, but he wants #1 money. And really don't want him in this locker room. He will go the highest bidder though until that sours in a couple of years.

Reactions: JB
Back