Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Cap numbers and free agency.

NFL Cap Numbers - September 1

Can this be right? Houston has more cap space than every team (other than the Eagles) and they can't make a run at some of the free agents out there that would obviously make this team better? I understand that "we are not one player away" and "you can't sign everybody" (as quoted by Casserly), but is there no desire in the front office to win this year?

I would think they are going to sign some long-term contracts here soon and fill up the remaining space with signing bonuses. Sounds like a good idea at least there will be some big paydays for a few guys soon. If not it would definitely make you wonder.

They are building for the future. Their is a big risk with high dollar FAs. If they bust your up **** creak with nothin but a snorkle. Look at Stacy Mack.. pathetic.

the wonger need food said:
NFL Cap Numbers - September 1

Can this be right? Houston has more cap space than every team (other than the Eagles) and they can't make a run at some of the free agents out there that would obviously make this team better? I understand that "we are not one player away" and "you can't sign everybody" (as quoted by Casserly), but is there no desire in the front office to win this year?

If you're so adament that they should sign somebody I'd like to hear who? I havn't seen anybody cut, yet, that would make an upgrade on the talent already here.

the wonger need food said:
is there no desire in the front office to win this year?

Well let's see. They got rid of Aaron Glenn and Jamie Sharper. They added an over priced FA in Greenwood, Gave up way too much for Pbuc, mixed in a non impact first rd selection will be a backup, and are now refusing to add any quality FA that could have a positive impact this year, even though they are well under the cap. Draw your own conclusions.

Before it's all over, there will be some fat trimming at the end of the season. Walker will be gone, Pane might be next depending on if he stays healthy or not. Mckinney also will hit the road.. we will be going younger so hold on to your seats. I think Bradford is going to be tested this year and we will see if we will keep him for another season or not. I think after the season Palmer will be gone and Caper will have one more season to prove that he deserve to be the man for this team. We will be drafting another QB. Casserly is known for that.

Porky said:
...and are now refusing to add any quality FA that could have a positive impact this year, even though they are well under the cap. Draw your own conclusions.

ONce again, who would you like them to sign? Freddie Mitchell has been cut, yeah he'd be a huge upgrade over our recievers.

It's real easy to say they should sign somebody, but take a look at who's out there. Do you honestly think anybody who's a free agent now would nelp this team?

Hoth-Boy said:
If you're so adament that they should sign somebody I'd like to hear who? I havn't seen anybody cut, yet, that would make an upgrade on the talent already here.

Simon and Price would be the most recent. I'm sure there were/are more.

Simon does not fit the system, and even if he did who would he start over?

As for Peerless (which is supremly ironic) thanks, but no. He can be shut down by man coverage, and only really works when he plays second to a really good #1 reciever (which we have) and has a QB who can work against the zone (which we don't have presently).

For a good WR to come to our team, the QB has to be able to complete a pass to the ones he already has.

Hoth-Boy said:
Simon does not fit the system, and even if he did who would he start over?

As for Peerless (which is supremly ironic) thanks, but no. He can be shut down by man coverage, and only really works when he plays second to a really good #1 reciever (which we have) and has a QB who can work against the zone (which we don't have presently).

- Simon would fit into any system and would start over Smith and/or Walker.

- Very true, but he would be an upgrade over our current #2's.

Hoth-Boy said:
ONce again, who would you like them to sign? Freddie Mitchell has been cut, yeah he'd be a huge upgrade over our recievers.

It's real easy to say they should sign somebody, but take a look at who's out there. Do you honestly think anybody who's a free agent now would nelp this team?
PEERLESS PRICE!!! if u saw him in buffalo and now need a #2 (which we do) u should be salivating right now.

Big78 said:
PEERLESS PRICE!!! if u saw him in buffalo and now need a #2 (which we do) u should be salivating right now.

<- Feels like a broken record.

2 Hours Ago 02:13 PM

There were good FAs in the offseason, now there are not. MAybe after Saturday's cuts but not right now. Hell teh Cowboys said no to Price, and their WR situation is worse then ours.

Got to agree with most of yall. I was told Charley C. was a great GM, and belived it for a while, but omg- how do you not adress the real problem with this team!! I work in international Buisness and travel all the time, and the one thing i hear from NOn-LOcals about the Texans is how horrible the O.Line is!!! nothing else, not D, not Carr, not the receivers!!! All of em say, "goodluck keeping carr of his ars this season!!!" GOt to agree, why not get A.Barron in the draft @ 16???? or Derrick Johnson in 13???? no, we get a DT who didnt start for Florida St until his senior year when the other two D-linemen graduated!!! I really dont get the GM, coaches, and "PALMER"!!!

so many good wasted picks - #2 pick on chester pitts?? give me a break!
Even Ross verba would help, why not pick him up?

Anyone have a list of who SHOULD be available come next off-season ? Its quite possible that they are looking to next year as their year to make a splash ... they have said all along that the 5th year is their target year to excell ...

No , i dont actually believe this but .... it sounds good .

Other than Simon i dont think any of the current FA's are an upgrade or warrant their attention.

Well, The General (John Mclain) just explained why Simon and Price were not pursued. The Texans already have one of the highest paid (and most would argue the most overpaid) defensive lines in the NLF and Price is viewed as washed up by the organization.

He sounds very disheartened by what he's seen from the Texans this preseason. Probably a sentiment shared by most fans at this point.

Back