Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Can The Texans Win 9+ games this year??

WpgTexansFan

Practice Squad
Personally i believe with all the changes made towards the Texans defense this year that they can infact win over 9 games this year... I also think that Carr has what it takes to lead what has proved to be .. or have the ability to be an explosive offense... Are the changes going to be enough??

With all the Power teams losing players .. can the texans say upset a couple of the powerhouse teams in the AFC and steal a playoff spot from say.. the broncos?

The Broncs wont make the playoffs this year.. their schedule is too hard.

I would say it is a distinct possibility.. I love the changes we have made and would say we have PROBABLY become a stronger team.. but there are alot more intangibles now. before we let Glenn and Sharper go, i would have said 10-6 easy.. but with Greenwood and Buchanan.. Im still saying 10-6 :)..but Im not as sure as I was before hehe.

If David Carr is given protection, there's not a doubt in my mind the Texans win 9+ games in '05. Heck, if the Texans could've gone 5-3 at home rather that 3-5, they would have won 9 games in '04. I don't want to hear the "we have 4 new starters on defense" excuse, that's for sure.

Protect the QB + Protect the Homefield = Playoff Season.

we will win 11 games this season, we will have a top 15 defense and a top 10 offense,,,i AM a homer, but thats what makes beign fans great :)

I would be surprised if we win 9+. Going into the offseason, I thought we might, but I think in some ways we have regressed, at least over the near term. Longer term may be a different story. We definately helped the return game in a big way, but we may also see a few more turnovers and negative plays. The defense will be younger, faster, and more athletic. We will also have 5 new starters, less depth, less leadership, and less overall experience. The offense will have more experience, the blocking schemes may be adjusted, and Joppru may actually give us a decent TE. OTOH, if Joppru isn't healthy, we have nothing in the way of a dual threat at TE, Carr hasn't shown he can lead a team to the playoffs, and the line may give us more of the same inconsistent play. The draft did not yield an instant impact playmaker in round one, nor was the offensive line addressed. We are razor thin at LB. We have nobody behind the four starters that would be a likely starter at any of the 31 other teams, and the team spun it's wheels at the very best with the PB trade. So, if you want to look at this team with steel blue colored glasses, that's okay by me. That's the perogtive of a fan. But, I say we win roughly the same number as last year, give or take 1 win. I do think we will see improvement throughout the season, and IF we have a good offseason next year, I think we will be a real playoff contender in 2006.

My Two cents. :whistle:

Lucky said:
If David Carr is given protection, there's not a doubt in my mind the Texans win 9+ games in '05. Heck, if the Texans could've gone 5-3 at home rather that 3-5, they would have won 9 games in '04. I don't want to hear the "we have 4 new starters on defense" excuse, that's for sure.

When have we NOT had 4 new starters on EITHER side of the ball?? 10-6. Put it in the books. Bank on it. Play-offs....mmmmmmmmmmm maybe. texanpride

Lucky said:

True words of wisdom. I agree totally with your post Lucky, same theory I told Channel 13 on Draft day....except all they showed on TV is me saying "9 and 7". No more excuses boys, the expansion label has wore off. And for Gods sake.........protect Carr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with Porky on this one (though in my head we go 16-0 before the start of every season....its only when reality kicks in at the end of the season i come to terms with us not being such.)

I think near term we will suffer just from the clearl YOUTH movement.
Glenn, Sharper, Foreman just to name a few. Is payne coming off injury again? I can never keep up.

Joppru if he starts will take time to learn the offense and especailly develop chemistry with a alreayd pourous OL.

I don't get our OL strategy or lack there of. Maybe we are signing some players or maybe we think a year of bonding did the trick (though unlikely since we went after O pace.) Speaking of which what happen with that trade?

I haven't seen our schedule for the year but I'm thinking more 7-9 again.

Texas_Thrill said:
I don't get our OL strategy or lack there of. Maybe we are signing some players or maybe we think a year of bonding did the trick (though unlikely since we went after O pace.) Speaking of which what happen with that trade?

I haven't seen our schedule for the year but I'm thinking more 7-9 again.
Of course we went after Pace. He's one of the best in the biz. Does that mean wholesale panic?? I think not. There just weren't any good OL FA's or draft picks this year. Remember Jordan Gross? Lots of people said he was the next great thing. Now he's moving back to RT since noone(including Gross) is comfortable with his progress at LT. OK!!! Off my :soapbox:

we will win 11 games this season, we will have a top 15 defense and a top 10 offense,,,i AM a homer, but thats what makes beign fans great

gee i wish. i definitely think we will have a top 10 defense. as far as the top 10 offense, well im still skeptical about that. ill give the texans 10 wins this year, beating indy at least once in the process. our defense looks stacked. if buchanon can have a speason anywhere close to the one he had in 03, then it should be blitz city in houston. travis johnson will add attitude and toughness to a very soft d-line. his strength and pass rushing skills up front will help the linebackers tremendously, and boy, i think peek is going to rack in at least 10 sacks. our offensive line needs to be addressed. we saw some of the amazing things that carr can do when he is protected (remember the vikings game when we came back from 21 down in the 4th qtr??) he needs to have full-game protection if we want to see more of the carr that we saw against the vikings.

We have done very poorly at home against AFC teams. We really need to go 5-3 at home this year (at worst). I see an 8-8 or 9-7 season this year.

It's a shame the Texans can't wear Battle Red for every home game, or else they need to have the same mind set they have when wearing Battle Red. Hopefully with the infusion of the new talent it will bring up the level of play of some of the underachieving vets.

Porky said:
...So, if you want to look at this team with steel blue colored glasses, that's okay by me.
I'm just taking the Texans' word that they've made improvements. I may not have made the same choices the Texans made in the offseason, but hey I'm a fan. It's their jobs on the line, not mine.

The Texans are telling me the O-line will improve with experience & schematic changes. OK, I'm buying that.

The Texans are telling me that Bennie Joppru is healthy and ready to contribute. I'm buying that, too.

The Texans are telling me that Morlon Greenwood's speed and versatility will be an improvement over Jamie Sharper. Sold.

The Texans are telling me that Antwan Peek is ready to be an everydown OLB. I'm renting to own this one.

The Texans are telling me that Phillip Buchanon is an upgrade over Aaron Glenn. I'll put this on layaway.

Now if I'm being foolish as a fan to listen to what this organization is telling me, well I guess I'll be a fool with a new Travis Johnson #75 Steel Blue jersey (and he will make an impact). But I will hold this organization accountable for what they say to me. And they're telling me that they've made improvements across the board. If that's not worth 2 or 3 more wins, I don't know what to say.

WpgTexansFan said:
With all the Power teams losing players .. can the texans say upset a couple of the powerhouse teams in the AFC and steal a playoff spot from say.. the broncos?
"All the power teams losing players?" You all just lost Aaron Glenn and Jamie Sharper. You are in the same boat.

No offense to any of you Aaron Glenn Fans out there... but Glenn is getting old and is washed up... Hes the .. Deion Sanders of the Texans Organization.. and Even though buchannon is NOT a #1 corner ... i believe that Dunta Robinson will have an amazing sophmore season and become that #1 guy... but thats just my opinion

"but Glenn is getting old and is washed up"

what????? washed up he had 5 Inteceptions and 68 tackles if thats washed up to you then theres alot of corners in this leauge that should just retire. im sry but he was gettin old but he not washed up he still has at least 2 more years in him and is still a very good cornerback.

I believe that the Texans should make the playoffs this year...most of the teams, besides the Colts, are lookin weaker then they were in the 04 season....I also believe that Carr is commin around and beginning to become the franchise QB that we were looking for in him. We have also found a hungrey running back that we needed so bad in the past years, and our O-line is looking strong for once. Our D is the only thing I can see that would be holding us back, but since we picked up Phil.Buchanan things are looking up. I just hope we can replace Jamie Sharper.

I don't understand why when people are on the trading block .. suddenly they are old and washed up... Glenn was getting long in tooth, but he was still above average. Sharper.. was far from being washed up.. All our LB's needed help being our DLine was banged up and not pulling their weight.. With that.. many times I remember an opponents QB have 4+ second to throw the ball ...I can't name one CB or LB that can stay with a receiver for that long of time and be efficient.

Like you said ... he has only 2 good years left in him.... Now Buchannon is in his 4th year.... he is on the rise... Glenn is in what... his 12th? ... hes on the downslide.. despite what people say .. hes a bag .. 5 ints last year sure... but how many did he have the year before...

The Question is .. If Glenn was still around .. who would be the #2?

"Like you said ... he has only 2 good years left in him.... Now Buchannon is in his 4th year.... he is on the rise... Glenn is in what... his 12th? ... hes on the downslide.. despite what people say .. hes a bag .. 5 ints last year sure... but how many did he have the year before...

The Question is .. If Glenn was still around .. who would be the #2?"

your whole post just made my argument the year before he didnt have 5 int but the next year he did meaning he improved and the year before he was injuried with a groin somthin. and with the new rule every CB in the league had to adjust to it and made em look not as good. i dont think glenn was on a downslide or is a "bag" i think he hit his potential and is playing very well and maybe lost a step but is still far better than buchanon, and if u think Buchanon is better than glenn u need to staet watching some football rather than makin crazy accusations saying glenn is washed up.

6/10 or 7/9??? o come on just a lil optimism i expect 10/6 there should be improvment and if we go 6/10 somebody is gonna be under alot of heat cause if we dont improve that'll be downright sad.

WpgTexansFan said:
Like you said ... he has only 2 good years left in him.... Now Buchannon is in his 4th year.... he is on the rise... Glenn is in what... his 12th? ... hes on the downslide.. despite what people say .. hes a bag .. 5 ints last year sure... but how many did he have the year before...

The Question is .. If Glenn was still around .. who would be the #2?

well considering that we run nickel package about 44 percent of the time (according to capers)... On Nickel packages buckanon and Glenn would be #1 and #2... Drob would be #3 (just like last year) because of his blitzing skills... But on our Reg defense.. we will never know, because there is no position battle between Glenn and Buchanon

TopTexanFan16 said:
"but Glenn is getting old and is washed up"

what????? washed up he had 5 Inteceptions and 68 tackles if thats washed up to you then theres alot of corners in this leauge that should just retire. im sry but he was gettin old but he not washed up he still has at least 2 more years in him and is still a very good cornerback.

sorry bud but glenn had 2 int in the titans game, that were give me ints. i mean a 60 yr old man coulda oicked these off, one in the chicago game that was a deflection off a helmet, straight into his hands.

TexansTrueFan said:
sorry bud but glenn had 2 int in the titans game, that were give me ints. i mean a 60 yr old man coulda oicked these off, one in the chicago game that was a deflection off a helmet, straight into his hands.

Sorry, bud--had to do that--but Glenn was definitley an above average CB last year. Lot's of INT's are gimme's--check back on some of D-robs--one he was out of position on and if the ball had been thrown well he would have been burned. Try watching the Chicago game and tell us Glenn is not a good CB--he did have some blocked passes rather than INT's, but it was 12 degrees without the wind chill and his primary objective is stopping the play--he achieved that.

sure we can win 9 games next season. We could win all the games next season. We could fall flat on our faces if the injury bug bites one of our starting CB's, or our QB. Time will tell.

I hope we challenge the Phins for the season without a loss record.

TexansTrueFan said:

Hey an Int is an Int whether it was a give me or not and he also had 9 passes defensed last year and while playing with teh texans 34 passes defensed overall. he was still in the top of the league in Int even with the new 5 yard rule which makes being a shutdown corner almost impossible so again to say hes washed up its remarkably stupid and arrogant.

Lucky said:
The Texans are telling me that Phillip Buchanon is an upgrade over Aaron Glenn. I'll put this on layaway.

Well watching the raiders a lot out here because thats all we get is raider games. He might be improvment talent wise, yet his additude is over the top.
Remember he is the cornerback named "showtime". :rolleyes:

Lucky said:
I'm just taking the Texans' word that they've made improvements. I may not have made the same choices the Texans made in the offseason, but hey I'm a fan. It's their jobs on the line, not mine.

The Texans are telling me the O-line will improve with experience & schematic changes. OK, I'm buying that.

The Texans are telling me that Bennie Joppru is healthy and ready to contribute. I'm buying that, too.

The Texans are telling me that Morlon Greenwood's speed and versatility will be an improvement over Jamie Sharper. Sold.

The Texans are telling me that Antwan Peek is ready to be an everydown OLB. I'm renting to own this one.

Now if I'm being foolish as a fan to listen to what this organization is telling me, well I guess I'll be a fool with a new Travis Johnson #75 Steel Blue jersey (and he will make an impact). But I will hold this organization accountable for what they say to me. And they're telling me that they've made improvements across the board. If that's not worth 2 or 3 more wins, I don't know what to say.

As George Straight might say - I've got Ocean Front Property in Arizona. If you'll buy that, I'll throw the Golden gate in free. :pigfly:

And to the poster that was saying Glenn is washed up. I'm going to file that one away, so at the end of the year, we can have a contest on the most uninformed opinion of the year. Glenn may have lost a step, but I would take him back in a heartbeat. He can still play, and imo, play at a relatively high level. I am not about to beat that dead horse again, but the Texans blew that whole transaction, giving up two high draft picks, and a solid established corner for a talented 24 year old, whose got more game with his mouth, then what he has shown on the field. I didn't mind the gamble, because we had the steady veteren leadership of Glenn to mentor him, and show him the way. Oh well, water under the bridge now. :brickwall

Porky said:
As George Straight might say - I've got Ocean Front Property in Arizona. If you'll buy that, I'll throw the Golden gate in free. :pigfly:

And to the poster that was saying Glenn is washed up. I'm going to file that one away, so at the end of the year, we can have a contest on the most uninformed opinion of the year. Glenn may have lost a step, but I would take him back in a heartbeat. He can still play, and imo, play at a relatively high level. I am not about to beat that dead horse again, but the Texans blew that whole transaction, giving up two high draft picks, and a solid established corner for a talented 24 year old, whose got more game with his mouth, then what he has shown on the field. I didn't mind the gamble, because we had the steady veteren leadership of Glenn to mentor him, and show him the way. Oh well, water under the bridge now. :brickwall
:deadhorse you forgot one porky :heh:

I hope Peta doesn't see that smiley :heh: and no Peta doesn't necessarily mean People Eat Tasty Animals ) :heh:

TexanFanInCC said:
gee i wish. i definitely think we will have a top 10 defense. as far as the top 10 offense, well im still skeptical about that

I see it totally opposite. I think our offense will be awesome and our defense will be iffy.

On offense we have:

A pro bowl wide receiver who is a physical freak.
A solid RB who can give us 1200 yards and 50 catches.
A QB who is in the top half(just barely) of the league with pathetic pass protection.

Carr and AJ should go bonkers this season. I expect huge things. HUGE.

On defense:

Dunta Robinson.

Did I forget anyone else?

Having to play the Colt's twice also hurts the defensive ranking.

I can't say that I think our offense is going to be huge or awesome, but I do expect it to be better than our defense. I think we have a much better RB situations with Morrency on the depth chart, and a consistent ground game will do wonders for our offense. If BJ can contribute all season then I think our '3 and out' drives will become more of a rarity than it was last season. I do expect AJ and Carr to have big years. I think our defense will make some mistakes early on in the season, but they should be playing better by midseason and be pretty good as the season winds down. I fully expect our defense to be more exciting this year. That means alot of big plays like crucial sacks and forcing turnovers. Maybe even a few fumble/interception returns for TDs.

Okay, since the schedules have been released...

@ Buffalo - L - Even though Losman makes his debut, the Bills defense is salty.
Pittsburgh - W - First home game of the season.
@ Cincinnati - L - The Bengals will be good.
Tennessee - W - And Bud buys a new rug.
@ Seattle - W - C'mon, it's a Sunday night game.
Indianapolis - W - Momentum is building.
Cleveland - W - Browns are still many years away.
@ Jacksonville - L - Good young rivalry continues to grow.
@ Indianapolis - L - Colts get their payback.
Kansas City - W - Team rebounds after back to back losses.
St. Louis - W - Playoff push begins.
@ Baltimore - L - Playoff push takes a hit.
@ Tennessee - L - Bud's new rug pays off.
Arizona - W - Cards aren't there yet.
Jacksonville - W - Rivalry is beginning to look really good.
@ San Francisco - W - 49ers still too awful.

There ya have it. 10-6. Four years straight and I've only been 1 game off at worst. So look for at least 9 wins.

Just looking at the Texans opponents this season, going over 9 wins is not stretch.

Colts - Win 1 Lose 1
Titans Win 2
Jags - Win 1 Lose 1
Steelers - Win 1 (Upset)
Browns - Win 1
Chiefs _ Lose -1
Cards - Win 1
Rams - Win 1
Ravens - Lose 1
Bengals Lose 1
Seahawks - win 1
Bills - Win 1
49ers - win 1

11-5 folks......you heard it from the Bull! :dangit:

The Texans will win 10+ games this year...and Im callin that they beat the Colts in INDY....you all think Im insane.....but you just wait...I know they will.
Im transfering colleges this year....and I will be closer to Houston...Cant wait to catch a few games..gonna be fun!

:twocents: With the parody in the NFL it's very possible to have a great year with better than average talent. :slap: The Texans have some of the best young talent in the league and seem ready to take the next step. If not for the turnovers in the first two games last year they would of won 9-10 games. There just aren't that many elite teams and with some decent confidence I think the Texans should easily make the playoffs. The O-line should be vastly improved with a year under its belt and the D will wreak havoc if they can get decent pressure. If they can stay relatively healthy 10-11 wins doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.

Back