Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Can somebody tell me about Ryan Tannehill

b0ng

Bad Hombre
And why he is getting so much run as a potential top 10 pick in the 2012 draft? I do know that he is a former WR who switched to QB only recently in the Aggies system, and did okay.

Is he like the reverse Matt Jones or. . . why is it that a lot of people have him mocked going in the first round, much less as high as number 6 to the redskins? I watched some of Tannehill's games this year, and he was okay, but he certainly didn't seem like he was better than Brandon Weeden out of OSU, or even Keenum really. Can somebody explain to me why he is so highly thought of besides "UPSIDE!"?

Good size. Good athlete. Good arm. Played in a quasi pro style offense.

I don't see it. This guy looks like a 3rd round QB to me. Good at everything, great at nothing.

Good size. Good athlete. Good arm. Played in a quasi pro style offense.

I don't see it. This guy looks like a 3rd round QB to me. Good at everything, great at nothing.

I agree. With proper development and time to grow he could become an average starting QB (which is not an insult). I do think he has a higher upside than former A&M QB Stephen McGee.

His draft stock is the product of QB-needy teams reaching on QB prospects trying to find "the guy". I actually don't see much difference between Tannehill and Kirk Cousins, outside of the athleticism advantage Tannehill has. Mechanically, they are very similar.

Is it because he was a successful WR (or maybe he wasn't I don't know much about aggie ball) and teams are viewing him as project with huge upside? I assume he's viewed as a guy who could fit in a scheme requiring a mobile QB (I guess that's why the 'Skins are one of the teams he's viewed to land in), but it seems like some of the prospects behind him are actually better prospects.

Good fast athlete, above average arm, book and football smart. Played WR for his first 2 years due to need and his athleticism and led the team in receptions and yards. Used this knowledge when he transitioned back to QB his junior year.

In a normal year, he'd probably be projected to the 2nd or 3rd round, but as has been said, many teams are QB needy and he's at the top of the board for QB's not named Luck or Griffin.

I expect him to land in Cleveland and take over for Colt McCoy, which is kind of ironic.

Long term development backup. Good athleticism helps. After Luck and Griffin things really fall off, so that helps too.

. Good arm great athlete average qb. Made a lot of bad decisions and threw a lot of picks. Not very accurate either I would put him behind osweiler and kirk cousins maybe even behind kellen moore

great athlete, lots of intangible qualities that scouts love (smart, 4 year starter, very understanding of route trees, versed in NFLesque offense etc), but not a great qb as is. has a tendency to trust receivers too much being a former wr himself and will force throws where he shouldn't because of this. also can telegraph some throws, especially corner/outs. has a good enough arm but is no stafford. can work on improving accuracy throughout many routes; good vertical thrower imo.

however, if he's given time to sit and develop for a year or two and isn't thrown out o the wolves immediately he could very well turn into an above average NFL qb, he's got the building blocks and makeup for it, just needs to bring it all together.

Good fast athlete, above average arm, book and football smart. Played WR for his first 2 years due to need and his athleticism and led the team in receptions and yards. Used this knowledge when he transitioned back to QB his junior year.
This. I'm thinking he must have blown a few people away during the combine interviews.

I'd have to think Scouts look at the physical tools & the individual play of the player. "Fans" get too caught up with giving the QB too much credit & not enough blame..... & vice versa.

I don't watch much college football, but I do watch a UT or an Aggie game every now & then. I was impressed with Tannehill.

If I were to sit down & talk to him & walked away feeling he had an advanced understanding of the game, I would rank him favorably on my board.
I expect him to land in Cleveland and take over for Colt McCoy, which is kind of ironic.

If I had a Phillip Rivers or an Aaron Rogers, a bonafide starter, I'd look at picking him up & seeing where things go. If I'm a team that's been having as many QB issues as Cleveland has, I'm probably going to go a different route. Most definitely won't be taking a QB that needs "work"

Cleveland should be targeting Blackmon, Richardson, Kalil/Decosta if you ask me. Heck a few more pieces & their defense could challenge the best in the league.

They need to build some semblance of a team together, before they start asking these "kids" to win games for them.

And why he is getting so much run as a potential top 10 pick in the 2012 draft? I do know that he is a former WR who switched to QB only recently in the Aggies system, and did okay.

Is he like the reverse Matt Jones or. . . why is it that a lot of people have him mocked going in the first round, much less as high as number 6 to the redskins? I watched some of Tannehill's games this year, and he was okay, but he certainly didn't seem like he was better than Brandon Weeden out of OSU, or even Keenum really. Can somebody explain to me why he is so highly thought of besides "UPSIDE!"?
When you are very thirsty and everyone is talking about water, you sometimes settle for drinking from a ditch when the Ozarka has disappeared from the shelves.

Cleveland desperately needs a QB because Colt just isn't cutting it. They also need a WR and some other weapons, but they need a QB so bad, Tannehill will probably go there with the #4 pick, with Washington moving up to #2 likely to take Griffin.

Cleveland desperately needs a QB because Colt just isn't cutting it. They also need a WR and some other weapons, but they need a QB so bad, Tannehill will probably go there with the #4 pick, with Washington moving up to #2 likely to take Griffin.

Derek Anderson, Brady Quin, Colt McCoy, & I'm sure I've missed a few of Cleveland's starting QBs in just the last 5 years. IMO, they need to work on the foundation a QB needs to be successful, whether we're talking about Eli Manning or Rex Grossman.

They can keep plugging in QBs, but they're going to get nowhere when Joshua Cribbs is their "Blue Chip" offensive player. Decosta, Richardson, Blackmon, that's where I would be looking if I were Cleveland.

Of course there is Carl Nicks, Ben Grubs, Vincent Jackson, Dwayne Bowe, Mario Maningham, Pierre Garcon, LaGarette Blount, Michael Bush, Ladanian Thomas & a slew of other free agents that can change their outlook before the draft.

I would fill most of the holes with this yrs draft picks. (Keep McCoy as starting QB) Then look to trade up next yr and draft Barkley/Murray/Bray.

BTW, I also would be looking to trade up and get one of the franchise QB's if I were the Texans and Schaub isn't able to get/stay healthy next yr.

Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
RT @fmr5998: 4.58 for Ryan Tannehill at Pro Day. ... So I've heard. A lock as a Top 10 pick. Might be even higher.

Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
RT @Sjaber88: How you think Tannehill will fair in the NFL? Can he make all the throws? ... A lot of teams like him an awful lot.

Rumor has it that Miami wants to trade up to 4 to get Tannehill, and that St Louis may also want to trade up to 4 for an unknown player. Maybe Richardson to take over for Sjax in the future, or maybe Blackmon, but I don't think STL would trade up for Tannehill unless they sent Sam Bradford to the Browns as part of the trade.

Rumor has it that Miami wants to trade up to 4 to get Tannehill, and that St Louis may also want to trade up to 4 for an unknown player. Maybe Richardson to take over for Sjax in the future, or maybe Blackmon, but I don't think STL would trade up for Tannehill unless they sent Sam Bradford to the Browns as part of the trade.

If I am STL gotta be thinking Blackmon. That WR corps is pretty sad and could use a big time playmaker to take pressure of Jackson and give Bradford a bonafide #1 target.

I just don't see Tannehill as a true Franchise QB. That's who I reserve a Top Ten selection for. I can see him being groomed behind a starter for a few seasons and maybe develop into a decent starter... but I don't see a Super Bowl type of guy.

I like him and think he's got potential... but I think a team can get a better player and a more immediate impact player in the Top 10-15. Only a truly desperate team would take him that early.

Honest question but would he be THAT big of an upgrade over Colt McCoy? I'd draft him at 22 but not at 4 overall.

While Tannehill showed many flashes of potential, he had a lot of WTF moments and his read progression is still a long way off.
(questionable mental aspect.)

He also missed many easy passes (questionable accuracy.)

While Tannehill showed many flashes of potential, he had a lot of WTF moments and his read progression is still a long way off.
(questionable mental aspect.)

He also missed many easy passes (questionable accuracy.)

He seemed to be a little on the inconsistent side to me. He'd look outstanding for one half, and then would go all Pop Warner in another. That'd be awfully scary if I was thinking about trading multiple picks in order to grab him.

I don't know, if my I was starved for a QB, I'd probably think long and hard about tanking the **** out of 2012 and grabbing Barkley unless a player like Cousins/Weeden/Foles/Osweiler were available in the mid rounds. I would kind of feel bad for Tannehill if he got picked really high, and the team that picked him just kinda threw him in there immediately (Browns, Dolphins) because I think that just might ruin him.

He impressed everyone (media) @ his pro-day. Brian Bellick said it best however stating he scares me to death taking him in the top 10. If a team gets behind him they had best be right otherwise they will wind up talking heads on a show just like Path to the Draft, hint hint, charlie casserly & michael lambardi :lol:

As usual, QBs are floating up in/into the first round.

We're looking at Tannehill & Brandon Weeden going before the Texans pick, now, and Brock Osweiler getting buzz as a first rounder now from Gol Brandt after his pro day.

The more the merrier for the Texans, as it pushes better options down to us at 26.

As usual, QBs are floating up in/into the first round.

We're looking at Tannehill & Brandon Weeden going before the Texans pick, now, and Brock Osweiler getting buzz as a first rounder now from Gol Brandt after his pro day.

The more the merrier for the Texans, as it pushes better options down to us at 26.

My sentiments exactly, I hope lots of teams reach.

4. In the unlikely event Tannehill makes it out of the top 10, I believe he'll be the 11th overall pick. That spot belongs to the Chiefs. I don't see the Chiefs taking Tannehill. I see Kansas City taking the best offer for the pick, and there will certainly be offers for that pick if Tannehill slips. Still, the most likely scenarios are Tannehill to Cleveland at four or Miami at eight. But why 11? Because teams around the league know how much Seattle loves Tannehill. And you can write this down: If Tannehill were to be there at 12, Seattle would take him, even though the Seahawks just paid medium dollar for Matt Flynn in free agency. That's how much Seattle loves him. "At Tannehill's workout,'' one source told me, "[coach] Pete Carroll was giggling like a schoolgirl watching him throw. His attitude was like, 'What are we even doing here? He'll never be there for us.' ''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/04/16/countdown/index.html

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill reportedly scored a 34 on the Wonderlic. Average QB score is regarded to be 24:

Andrew Luck scored a 37
Ryan Lindley 35
Ryan Tannehill's 34
Kirk Cousins (33)
Nick Foles (29)
Russell Wilson (28)
Brandon Weeden (27)
Kellen Moore (26)
Brock Osweiler (25).
Robert Griffin III scored a 24

Last edited:
Back