Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Call It: Who Will Draft Andrew Luck in 2012?

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
So, like the Nnamdi thread I started, here's an early 'You call it' thread. Given all the moves that have happened in free agency this year, it appears to me there are some clear winners and losers that ought to effect each teams viability in the 2011 season. So for a rep, call the team that you think will DRAFT Andrew Luck - as in, it could mean they trade up to get him, or have the #2 pick behind a team that doesn't need a QB. You must make your selection of one team by Week 2 of the season. Feel free to rank your bottom ten teams and select #1, or suggest the Patriots will trade up to get him, etc etc. Just pick 1 and only ONE team!

Some things to consider:

nfl2011SoS.jpg

2010 Team Records:
nfl2010records.jpg

Bengals

Buffalo is second choice but I haven't heard anything that they have done so far

I'll go with the Redskins drafting Luck. They'll have to trade up a couple of spots to do it though since I'm thinking the Bengals, Raiders, and the Bills will be competing for the worst record.

As much as I don't want it to happen, I think the Tennessee Titans will be the worst team in the league next year. So I think they will take Luck and make Locker a backup.

Titans. They will do everything in their power to draft him.

If that were to happen, the front office gets fired the day after the draft for wasting top 10 money on a QB in the previous draft.

Mark my words - the Titans married Locker and even if they were the worst team in the league, would pass on Luck, as stupid as that sounds.

The question is who will be the worst team next year....I will go with the putty cats :lion: in Cincy

Only if they don't trade the pick, or pass on Luck. The Bengals are kinda stupid, and I wouldn't put it past them to trade the pick and go with Dalton for the future.

Bengals just drafted Dalton, so they probably won't cast him aside in a year. Especially when he won't even start this year.

Broncos drafted Tebow last year and they seem to love him up there. They look to be keeping Orton becuase Tebow is not ready. That suggests he stays a couple of more years.

Carolina just drafted Newton and gave him a ton of $, he stays put.

Buffalo doesn't have a QB. Its Buffalo.

Bengals just drafted Dalton, so they probably won't cast him aside in a year. Especially when he won't even start this year.

Broncos drafted Tebow last year and they seem to love him up there. They look to be keeping Orton becuase Tebow is not ready. That suggests he stays a couple of more years.

Buffalo doesn't have a QB. Its .Buffalo

This....

Many were wondering why the Bills passed on all those QBs this year, and the answer was simple - all were reaches.

If the Bills suck bigtime again, Luck is a Bill and they finally have their first QB since Jim Kelly.

Miami Dolphins.

When you're going into the season with the very realistic possibility of starting a guy at quarterback who couldn't beat out Jimmy Clausen, you're trying to win the Suck for Luck.

Seahawks.

Yeah they made the playoffs but going 7-9 in the weakest division in football and they just lost their starting QB. Hasselbeck wasn't good last year but will Tavaris Jackson or Whitehurst be any better? I can see Seattle taking a major step back.

The colts when he suffers a season ending injury due to a dirty hit from a monster DE. Or OLB.

Other then that the loser teams will be

Bengals
Redskins
Dallas
Titans
Carolina
Cards
Colts

Have to say Bengals. Redskins being a close second since they apparently believe this guy is going to be under center:

John-Beck-Mullet-2.jpg

Have to say Bengals. Redskins being a close second since they apparently believe this guy is going to be under center:

John-Beck-Mullet-2.jpg

But, but, Beck sports a mullet and they're so in and happening. Gotta be worth a couple of Ws on just that.:hurrah:

Niners. They've lost everybody and have so far had an F-- offseason. Harbaugh would cream his pants.

Buffalo doesn't have a QB. Its Buffalo.

I get they have Dalton, but Luck looks to me to be an unbelievable prospect. I would seriously contemplate us going after him, and I really like Schaub. Just saying.

Miami might have some poor QB'ing but they still have that really good O-line and a middle of the pack defense. Also, they will beat up the Bills which is probably good for at least a win maybe 2.

The Bengals should really be the only answer to this and possibly the 'Skins since they wanna let Beckgruber start (or the Sex Cannon).

I get they have Dalton, but Luck looks to me to be an unbelievable prospect. I would seriously contemplate us going after him, and I really like Schaub. Just saying.

I think whoever trades up to get Luck will have to spend at least two 1sts and then several secondary picks. Even the #2 team in the draft will need to do that just to outbid others below them. If we end up with a pick around 20-26, then it would likely cost us a 1, 2 and 3 in 2012 and a 1 and 2 in 2013. Although, I just don't see any potential bottom of the NFL team passing on Luck for draft picks unless it was a Ricky Williams type trade.

I think whoever trades up to get Luck will have to spend at least two 1sts and then several secondary picks. Even the #2 team in the draft will need to do that just to outbid others below them. If we end up with a pick around 20-26, then it would likely cost us a 1, 2 and 3 in 2012 and a 1 and 2 in 2013. Although, I just don't see any potential bottom of the NFL team passing on Luck for draft picks unless it was a Ricky Williams type trade.

You're right it'll be steep price and if anybody is willng to pay it will
be the redskins.

Boy this is tough. My first thoughts are the Bengals or Bills. Both seem to be pretty bad and both have tough divisions. Bills play Jets/Pats twice plus the NFC East. Washington also seems to be pretty bad. The 49'ers would pretty cool because he could stay in the area and be coached by Harbaugh.

Here in Houston would be awesome because it's somewhat of his hometown and his dad played for the Oilers but there's no way we draft that early, I highly doubt we'd trade up for him, we're in win now with a good QB Schaub. With that said, Schaub only has 1 more year left on his contract after the season and could groom Luck for a year... just sayin!! But no it's not us.

When it's all said and done, I'm going against convential wisdom of Bengals/Bills and saying the Denver Broncos.

As far as trades go, I have mixed feelings on it. Looking at the contracts of the top players now, $$$ is not a factor in trading up like it used to be. If you think you're getting a franchise QB or player, that's cheap money. So I think there will be more of a market/interest in trading up at the top. With that said, that can raise the "cost" of the pick due to the demand for it. Teams aren't going to just give it away. If the Bengals truly like Dalton as their franchise guy in a year or two, rebuilding their team could be a smart move by taking several 1st and 2nd round picks along with a player or two.

As for the Broncos, Tebow isn't making much and would be an incredible backup QB to have. Elway would LOVE Luck/Tebow combination. But, I wonder... could Tebow be used as a player plus picks trade to say the Bills to move up for Luck?? Should be very very interesting to watch!

^ if they want to trade Tebow and get a good return on him, they better fix him up first...

“I just watched Tebow throw five out routes to a wide open wide receiver,” Hoge wrote. “He was 1-for-5! Two went in dirt two in the stands! That throwing motion he changed? You can’t change who you are! Just watched two throws and he throws like he did in college!! College credentials do not transfer to NFL, rah-rah speeches do not work! You must possess a skill set to play! Tebow struggles with accuracy!”

In other words, Hoge thinks the Broncos will be much better off when “the Tebow thing” is behind them, and Orton is declared their starter.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/03/merril-hoge-says-tim-tebow-just-cant-play/related/

Back