Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Broncos - Texans Game Thread

I don't think the loss is anything to worry about. If Brown catches that pick in the endzone or DD scores (or we don't run the same play 2 different directions 4 times in a row), we win. Besides that, the first stringers did very well on both sides of the ball. We're still lacking somewhat in depth, except at the RB position, and there's too many 2nd and 3rd stringers getting penalized, but I liked what I saw tonight in a general sense.

Tonight's game was very encouraging. Our 1st team defense looks much improved and the 1st team offense was very efficient minus the series at the goal line.

Texas_Heat said:
boo boo boo I waited all summer for that,this team will be lucky to go 8-8 :goodnight
I don't think this guy understands the preseason. It is not about winning. It is about putting your guys in situations, and seeing how the react and ironing out the kinks, making sure everyone has their assignments down and assessing your talent.

Things that matter:
First team defense looked great.
First team offense move the ball easily on their first two drives.
No major injuries.

One first half goal line stand kept the Texans from winning this game. But either way win or lose the score isn't that important.

I liked what I saw. I am now even more hopeful for this season than I was before the game.

I know it's the first game of preseason, but either try something else on the goaline or just run one play and kick a field goal. Everyone in the stadium new DD would take a hand off and head for the right or left end of the O'line for the last 3 plays in a row. It does no good to test your players under the serious disadvantage of letting the other team know what you're going to call BEFORE YOU DO. I assume, and hope, that that will not continue into the regular season. That's my only real complaint about the whole game.

Hindsight's 20/20. If we'd bootlegged it and Carr had thrown an interception/fumbled/been sacked, we'd have folks asking why we didn't just keep pounding since we were inside the 1 yard line. Give the Broncos props for shutting us down 4 times in a row, but our coaches went with the call that gave us the best chance of a TD.

HJam72 said:
I know it's the first game of preseason, but either try something else on the goaline or just run one play and kick a field goal. Everyone in the stadium new DD would take a hand off and head for the right or left end of the O'line for the last 3 plays in a row. It does no good to test your players under the serious disadvantage of letting the other team know what you're going to call BEFORE YOU DO. I assume, and hope, that that will not continue into the regular season. That's my only real complaint about the whole game.

Why?? It's a simple play that nearly everbody in teh NFL runs, and knows that we run, why show the rest of teh teams something new you've been working on when the game means absolutly nothing. And also DD hsould be able to score on that play atleast one out of three attempts; just gives Capers something more to yell about on Monday and it's extra motivation for the coaches and players to work harder.

HJam72 said:

the whole point of preseason is to test your players and not show much of your gameday offense. looked to me like they were taking a look at r. smith in goaline situations. its the perfect time to run it up the gut 4 times in a row and see how your guys handle it.

The players I was happy with thier play that were not on the first team.

Wells - Sorry, but he looked good.
Hollings - Did good tonight not including the 4x 1 yard line runs.
Ragone - He didnt get to do to much because of blocked passes and such. Placed a good TD pass though.
Shantee Orr - Looking damn good and had play maker ability during that game.

The players I wasnt really happy with the play

Tony Banks - One good TD pass, the rest was not where he should be.
BJ Symons - Did he even connect a pass? The balls were all over the place.
Morecy - Did decent, but not good. Needs to go down the field more instead of dancing so much.
2nd Team O-line - PROTECT THE QB!!!
2nd Team D - Was it just me or did they seem unorganized?

I'm not necessarilly calling for a bootleg. That play would have been fine for a couple of tries, but 4 times in a row? Bootleg, option, pass, something. Just trying a sweep with DD would have made me happy. I would have tried it twice myself, or right up the middle, but it's just too predictable to use it that much.

If fact, even a QB sneak up the middle would have been something different, but no use risking Carr's health.

Hindsight is always 20/20. What if they ran a sweep and got stuffed for a 5 yd loss? Or ran a bootleg and John Lynch takes Carr's head off? Who knows? Its just preseason...

I thought Morrencey did really well, actually, but he did dance a little too much. The one fumble was kind of pathetic too, the way it happened. Maybe it won't be a habit.

dtran04 said:
Hindsight is always 20/20. What if they ran a sweep and got stuffed for a 5 yd loss? Or ran a bootleg and John Lynch takes Carr's head off? Who knows? Its just preseason...

If they ran a sweep and lost 5 yds., I'd still be glad they tried it. I mean, a defense is not supposed to be 100% sure of what play you're going to run. But you're right about protecting Carr.

Carr looked pretty good tonight, and so did the 1st team o-line. We seemed to be getting the ball off quickly which is going to be good for Carr's health in the long run. DD, Wells, and Hollings were all pretty impressive.

Our first team Defense did a solid job. We were getting pressure on the QB, but they were doing a nice job getting rid of the ball. Our DLine looked great. CC Brown was impressive for a 6th round pick, he was in on alot of plays. T. Johnson got great penetration and showed his mean style of play. I really like him. Peek should've given the naysayers something to think about tonight. He kept containment against the run, made tackles, was good in coverage, and appeared to be making the smart plays.

Morency had some good and bad moments. He was running behind our 3rd and 4th stringers for blockers, so I'm cutting him some slack. One thing I noticed is his amazing quickness and shifty running. I think he may have the edge on DD in terms of pure quickness. On the other hand, he doesn't find the holes quickly enough or sometimes misses them completely. He also tries too hard to make cutbacks. If he can learn to pick the hole and move upfield I think he makes a good case for being our #2 at some point this season.

boo boo boo I waited all summer for that,this team will be lucky to go 8-8

90% of the game was played by 2nd and 3rd stringers, this isn't the end of the world. Our first team offense and defense looked good to me, except for the 4 failed attempts at the goal line. From what I saw Travis Johnson looked good and Morency looks fast he just needs to stop stopping and trying to go east to west so much. Some people have said Morency and Davis are similar in size and style but I didn't see much similarity tonight, maybe it's just me though. Morency seems quicker to me, but like I said maybe it's just me.

I think Caper's mentality is that he wants a tough, hard nose football team. He wants the option of running it up the gut four times within the 1 yard line, knowing that they are expecting it, and being able to simply push the other team off the line and make it happen anyways because we can. We weren't able to dominate the Broncos physically in that situation tonight, but if I was calling the shots I probably would've gone with the same approach.

I'm glad they handed it off to DD for times in a row. Why? Because it is preseason. I could give a rip about preseason. I wanted to see if DD could ram it down their throat despite the fact that Denver knew what was coming.

Sure, they didn't do it. And I'm sure that Capers is not going to let them hear the end of it this week. I'll bet they'll be lined up on the goal line in practice this week until they're sick of it.

The 1st teams looked good, but there is no reason for this teams backups to look so bad.
As long as they have no major injuries they may go 9-7 but more likely 8-8.

It’s time for Dom Capers to show he can take this team to the next level ,and it he can’t it’s time for him to go.

HJam72 said:
I thought Morrencey did really well, actually, but he did dance a little too much. The one fumble was kind of pathetic too, the way it happened. Maybe it won't be a habit.

Yeah well, it became a habit with DD in his rookie year. What makes Morency so special? He'll eventually be a good one . . . but right now, he's too much of an impatient east/west runner that's a fumble waiting to happen.

everyone stop questioning the play calling in the first preseason game of the year. unless your on the coaching staff you cant know why they were running a particular play in a particular situation. its a preseason game they are trying to put players in situations and see how they perform. while at the same time trying not to show buffalo any more of our playbook than necessary. now buffalo doesnt know what the **** we will do in a first and goal from the one because we havent shown them anything.

good job palmer!!!!

People need to stop fixating pn the goal line stand and the final score. Its preseason, starters barely played, got some good reps in, and best of all - no one lost. Thats right the score may not have had the Texans, but no one got seriously hurt (as of yet - still watching the game). So they went for a goal line dive 4 times, big deal. The play works, everyone runs it. If properly executed, it will result in a score. Thats probably why it was run 4 times, it wasnt executed. Look for improvement next weekend.....

F-minus67 said:
If you could chose one player to be the MVP on the texans side of the game, who would it be?

its between Matt Murphy :fight: & Shantee Orr

and the winner is Matt Murphy Houston we have a TE :texans:

I'll just post this here since this is where the most traffic is right now - Good old Lefty was 3/7 and sacked 4 times in 11 pass attempts. It will be interesting to see how long their 'vertical offense' lasts in real games.

Murph did a good job out there. He had some really nice blocks and a awesome touch down pass. Good fumble recovery too.

rmartin65 said:
how where the rookies?

TJ- seemed to be around the ball alot. didn't make any big plays, but it was hard at times watching the game because channel 13 didn't have the clearest picture, kinda hard to read alot of the numbers at times.

Morency-had some good runs, but also had a few runs we're he tried to run around the defense and got stuffed. also fumbled the ball once, luckily we recovered. i still think wells and hollings played better games.

Mathis-played, but i didn't see him catch anything. really hard to tell how he played considering this. i really wanted to see him return a kick, but that never happened either.

Hogdon-played like a rookie. had two false start calls on him, which is bad for a center.

Pettway-played a little later in the game. didn't really see too much of him myself, but i really wasn't looking.

Pitts and Dunbar-two rookie undrafted free agents here. saw a couple nice catches from both late in the game on a ragone drive. the dunbar catch in the endzone was pretty good. he bobbled it, then came down with his feet in bounds.

mckenzie-rookie undrafted free agent CB. hard to tell. i think he got burned bad on the 92 yard pass play. but i may be wrong.

I don't know why you want to call tricky plays in the preseason. This is where you line up and grade your players. The time to get deceptive is during real games. RoSmith was blowing people away at FB but we don't know if he was blowing up the right guy.

Morency looks shot out of a cannon when he gets the ball. He is going to be very explosive when he gets the feel for this scheme and learns to make one cut and go north and south.

Most of the QB pressure was coming from the inside again. I saw the reserve Guards getting lit up all night.

The overall team speed looks improved and our first team O-line was moving players off the LOS. I'm very upbeat about yesterday....got me very excited about our potential.

FYI - For eveyone that did not get to see the game, NFL Network is airing the whole game on Monday @ 1pm EST.

LCROD said:
FYI - For eveyone that did not get to see the game, NFL Network is airing the whole game on Monday @ 1pm EST.

maybe the quality will be better coming from the nfl network than abc 13. i don't know if it was just me, but the view wasn't very sharp. i couldn't even make out most of the numbers watching the game unless it was a close up shot.

atxcoolguy said:
TJ- seemed to be around the ball alot. didn't make any big plays, but it was hard at times watching the game because channel 13 didn't have the clearest picture, kinda hard to read alot of the numbers at times.

Morency-had some good runs, but also had a few runs we're he tried to run around the defense and got stuffed. also fumbled the ball once, luckily we recovered. i still think wells and hollings played better games.

Mathis-played, but i didn't see him catch anything. really hard to tell how he played considering this. i really wanted to see him return a kick, but that never happened either.

Hogdon-played like a rookie. had two false start calls on him, which is bad for a center.

Pettway-played a little later in the game. didn't really see too much of him myself, but i really wasn't looking.

Pitts and Dunbar-two rookie undrafted free agents here. saw a couple nice catches from both late in the game on a ragone drive. the dunbar catch in the endzone was pretty good. he bobbled it, then came down with his feet in bounds.

mckenzie-rookie undrafted free agent CB. hard to tell. i think he got burned bad on the 92 yard pass play. but i may be wrong.

It was Cedrick Williams that was burnt. Jamaal Lord tried to catch up to the receiver but wasn't happening. McKenzie was flying from across the field and hamstring pulled.....

3960AD said:
It was Cedrick Williams that was burnt. Jamaal Lord tried to catch up to the receiver but wasn't happening. McKenzie was flying from across the field and hamstring pulled.....

Lord took a horrible pursuit angle on that play.

atxcoolguy said:
maybe the quality will be better coming from the nfl network than abc 13. i don't know if it was just me, but the view wasn't very sharp. i couldn't even make out most of the numbers watching the game unless it was a close up shot.

I noticed it too. I couldn't make out the jersey numbers to see who was in the game.

markbeth said:
unless your on the coaching staff you cant know why they were running a particular play in a particular situation.
good job palmer!!!!

Unless you heard interviews by both Carr and Casserly stating that they only had two goal line plays in the playbook for this first preseason game. . They were obviously not expecting four shots from the one yd line and decided to test what they had with an obviously new personell grouping.
Needs a little more work...
As they practice more goal line plays, more will be installed in the playbook and be available on game day.

Back