Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brian Gardner fired

Texans "official" and unofficial Twitterers have been unusually quiet regarding this behind the scenes shakeup. I kind of expected more.

As far as Rick Smith's power, if Mr. McNair see the Patriot model as ideal... and if OB was more a McNair hire than a Rick Smith hire... and if OB turns into what we McNair hopes he'll be... we may be witnessing the beginnings of the marginalization of our GM, regardless of these moves.

I think they're actually doing what they said they were going to do back in their press conferences. They're taking a long hard review of all aspects of the team and they're going through and cleaning out the parts that didn't seem to be operating at a high level.

I'm not going to be surprised to see some more people fired before this is all over and I'm not convinced Smith is safe, yet.

This bring some questions to mind.

If this was part of the housecleaning, why weren't they let go sooner? Either the FO was waiting to see what replacement candidates were available, or this decision was made after lengthy review.

How involved were these guys in the ranking of Sam Montgomery and Brennan Williams? I consider that third round as the first failing pebble in the dike of 2013.

None at all, they are both pro-scouts, and don't review college players. Once the players go through the draft and join NFL teams as draft picks, UDFAs or practice squad guys, the pro-scouts will begin to actively evaluate them.

Texans "official" and unofficial Twitterers have been unusually quiet regarding this behind the scenes shakeup. I kind of expected more.

As far as Rick Smith's power, if Mr. McNair see the Patriot model as ideal... and if OB was more a McNair hire than a Rick Smith hire... and if OB turns into what we McNair hopes he'll be... we may be witnessing the beginnings of the marginalization of our GM, regardless of these moves.

Lol. I think O'Brien would have to have a couple of Super Bowls under his belt to get that kind of power. It's why I rejected the "he'll want total control!" argument when we were recruiting him. O'Brien has accomplished nothing as an NFL head coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol. I think O'Brien would have to have a couple of Super Bowls under his belt to get that kind of power. It's why I rejected the "he'll want total control!" argument when we were recruiting him. O'Brien has accomplished nothing as an NFL head coach.

You're not thinking like someone interviewing to be a Head Coach in the NFL. Of course every interviewee will want as much control as possible. They believe, as they should, that they will be more successful with their program and decisions than someone else. They also think that giving up any control lessens the opportunity for success and they don't want to be apart of another person's mistakes. If you want me to be as successful as Belichick, then you have to give me what Belichick has, or else you're setting yourself up for more failure.

You're not thinking like someone interviewing to be a Head Coach in the NFL. Of course every interviewee will want as much control as possible. They believe, as they should, that they will be more successful with their program and decisions than someone else. They also think that giving up any control lessens the opportunity for success and they don't want to be apart of another person's mistakes. If you want me to be as successful as Belichick, then you have to give me what Belichick has, or else you're setting yourself up for more failure.

Not this debate again. Ugh.

Again: Bill Belechick has multiple Super Bowls.

Repeat it to yourself: Bill Belichik has multiple Super Bowls.

Bill Belichick....

Lol. I think O'Brien would have to have a couple of Super Bowls under his belt to get that kind of power...

Agree he'll have to earn it. But if McNair wants to mirror N.E., then that's the end game. So, if true, the more success OB has the more threatened Rick Smith's powers would be... which sets up an interesting dynamic of tension within the organization. :hmmm:

Agree he'll have to earn it. But if McNair wants to mirror N.E., then that's the end game. So, if true, the more success OB has the more threatened Rick Smith's powers would be... which sets up an interesting dynamic of tension within the organization. :hmmm:

Yes, that's my point: if O'Brien achieves massive, sustained success, sure, give him more power where he transitions into a de-facto personell guy. But, right out the gate? No.

Also, I don't think creative or organizational tension is always a bad thing. Nothing wrong with people disagreeing and hashing out things. We just had 8 years of what appeared to be, at least to outsiders, no tension at all, where everyone seemingly "agreed" on everything (or acquiesed to Kubiak). That got us nowhere.

Word out of San Francisco is that Harbaugh and the GM don't always get along, and may not be the best of buddies. You see where that's gotten them....

Bill Belichick....

Repeat this to yourself...Belichick had his complete control and head coach agreement before he won his first Super Bowl....say it with me now....Belichick had his complete control and head coach agreement before he won his first Super Bowl.....if you want me to be Belichick then I need everything that Belichick has and if I don't get it you're setting yourself up for failure.

Repeat this to yourself...Belichick had his complete control and head coach agreement before he won his first Super Bowl....say it with me now....Belichick had his complete control and head coach agreement before he won his first Super Bowl.....if you want me to be Belichick then I need everything that Belichick has and if I don't get it you're setting yourself up for failure.

Where exactly did that full control get us when we gave it to Kubiak?

Look, I'm not going to get into this circular debate with you. We agree to disagree. But I have a question: why are you here? You clearly hate the team, and think we are going to fail. So why do you follow this team and post on message boards?

Where exactly did that full control get us when we gave it to Kubiak?

Look, I'm not going to get into this circular debate with you. We agree to disagree. But I have a question: why are you here? You clearly hate the team, and think we are going to fail. So why do you follow this team and post on message boards?

BREAKING NEWS: Kubiak is not Belichick! Kubiak was PE teacher, Belichick a Economics Major.

Why am I here?: Because Texans fans don't have to act, behave and think the way you do and meet with your approval to be consider a Texans Fan. Contrary to what you believe and think Texans Fans come in all shapes and sizes. Some drink the Kool Aid and some don't.

FYI - Me personally, I am against Head Coaches also acting as GMs and having final say on the 53 man roster. My preference are teams like the Packers and Ravens with respective GMs like Ted Thompson and Ozzie Newsome. The one exception worth considering IMHO is Jimbo Fisher.

BREAKING NEWS: Kubiak is not Belichick! Kubiak was PE teacher, Belichick a Economics Major.

Why am I here?: Because Texans fans don't have to act, behave and think the way you do and meet with your approval to be consider a Texans Fan. Contrary to what you believe and think Texans Fans come in all shapes and sizes. Some drink the Kool Aid and some don't.

FYI - Me personally, I am against Head Coaches also acting as GMs and having final say on the 53 man roster. My preference are teams like the Packers and Ravens with respective GMs like Ted Thompson and Ozzie Newsome. The one exception worth considering IMHO is Jimbo Fisher.

Of course fans don't have to all think alike. But you've been on this "we are going to fail!" kick since Kubiak was fired, and that's why I asked the question.

Of course fans don't have to all think alike. But you've been on this "we are going to fail!" kick since Kubiak was fired, and that's why I asked the question.

Nope I have been on the Texans are going to fail kick since 2009. Not because I want to but because that is what the math is telling me. Up until 2009 I was as hopeful and optimistic as the rest. It would be disingenuous of me to say anything different. Trust me, I want the Texans to go to the Super Bowl as much as you do but as of right now IMHO they're wasting your time and mine.

This why I left the " main" boards, the minute you speak or share your opinion that is not pro texans everything, your considered a "troll" or you " hate" the team. But that's not the case, I believe Texian was just sharing his dislike with certain texans moves and personnel. You guys think the cowgirls boards are all cupcakes and rainbows, or is there a lot of anger posts, mainly with Ol Jerrah

Your man... Pots and pans

This why I left the " main" boards, the minute you speak or share your opinion that is not pro texans everything, your considered a "troll" or you " hate" the team. But that's not the case, I believe Texian was just sharing his dislike with certain texans moves and personnel. You guys think the cowgirls boards are all cupcakes and rainbows, or is there a lot of anger posts, mainly with Ol Jerrah

Disagree. I don't think this board is like that, and I don't think I was implying that everyone has to think alike. Hell, I've been very critical of this organization for the last three years, and I wasn't thrilled about going after O'Brien at first. But, I'm at the point where I like to give credit for things that deserve credit. And this team deserves credit for cleaning house.

I was questioning Texian's logic about how if we didn't give O'Brien full control, then we would never succeed. The guy has yet to coach a single game, and he's branding him a failure already?

Maybe it's just watching the nfl for many years, and following teams, like when a team gave a coach full control, what was the end result. When Andy Reid was here in philly, he made the obvious bone head moves, Jerome mcdougle over Polamalu... Brandon graham over earl Thomas and jpp, two moves the fans never let go of. Plus he took that team as far as HE could

Disagree. I don't think this board is like that, and I don't think I was implying that everyone has to think alike. Hell, I've been very critical of this organization for the last three years, and I wasn't thrilled about going after O'Brien at first. But, I'm at the point where I like to give credit for things that deserve credit. And this team deserves credit for cleaning house.

I was questioning Texian's logic about how if we didn't give O'Brien full control, then we would never succeed. The guy has yet to coach a single game, and he's branding him a failure already?

My point was coaches don't earn it, they negotiate it, up front and they always negotiate for as much control as possible. In fact it would be darn near impossible to earn it. If the coach answered to a GM and the team had considerable success, you can be sure the GM would take the credit for the players on the field and reluctant to share any of his control. Can you imagine Ted Thompson or Ozzie Newsome giving up control? I can't either, I think they think they've have earned it just as much if not more so than the coach.

Last edited:
I would really like to know how much control Gary Kubiak really had? I always figured a 50/50 split with Rick Smith. He took care of football operations & Rick handled the business side. Does anyone know if this has officially changed or remain status-quo?

I would really like to know how much control Gary Kubiak really had? I always figured a 50/50 split with Rick Smith. He took care of football operations & Rick handled the business side. Does anyone know if this has officially changed or remain status-quo?

I distinctly remember while watching a live press conference near the end of the 2010 season, John McClain specifically asked Gary if he would consider giving up some of his control to keep his job. Gary responded with a no and that final say on the 53 man roster was in his contract. That said I do believe Gary trusted Rick to do the things the way Gary wanted them done (including finances) and to do them the way they were done in Denver.

Change or Status Quo? Sometimes devil is in the details, Bill O'Brien is listed above Rick Smith in front office listings: http://www.houstontexans.com/team/front-office.html

Brian Gardner has been fired. Gardner was hired by Smith to replace the Charley Casserly scouts that Smith had fired.

Today we learn from Jason La Canfora that Rick Smith preferred Whisenhunt over O'Brien. Make of it what you will.....

But there wasn't a total housecleaning. Rick is still here. I gave up hope that Rick/Gary could win a SB after the 2010 season and questioned BoB's commitment to winning. That has not and will not change until 1. I'm proven wrong. 2. Rick Smith is fired.

But there wasn't a total housecleaning. Rick is still here. I gave up hope that Rick/Gary could win a SB after the 2010 season and questioned BoB's commitment to winning. That has not and will not change until 1. I'm proven wrong. 2. Rick Smith is fired.

I couldn't have said it better. Great Summation! I gave up hope in 2009 after Gary hired Frank Bush without doing one interview when there were 3 Top 10 DC available at the time.

I agree that Rick should have been held accountable. My point has been, we have to give the team credit for hiring a coach that is willing to start over. The idea that we will automatically fail because O'Brien doesn't have GM-level control is nonsense.

Also, 2010 is also when I mentally gave up on this team. Kubiak's extension was shameful.

I agree that Rick should have been held accountable.

I don't know that Rick Smith is safe yet. Sounds like he's still throwing people under the bus; trying to save his job.

& remember, Casserly was fired after the draft. McNair didn't want to bring a new scouting/contract group before the draft. Rick may very well be a lame duck GM.

Bill Belichick....

My money says Belichick had control BEFORE he won any of his Super Bowls.

Is Belichick not a disciple of Parcells? Yes.

And think back, what was Parcells' mantra:
"If you want me to cook the meal you got to let me shop for the groceries."

I feel Belichick would not be any different.
/discussion

Whisenhunt was probably right behind Lovie on the list of guys we didn't hire but I would have been fine with (and for the record, I have no problem with O'Brien being brought in ahead of either of those guys).

What I don't understand is hearing the primary (and almost exclusive) criticism of Whisenhunt being that he couldn't win without Warner, but then - from a generic NFL coaching standpoint - seeing how many folks put forth the philosophy that you can't succeed without an above average QB. Arizona never had a QB that was even close to average after Warner retired.

We've had some debate on this site for the last few years (thankfully no longer relevant) that went beyond the QB position, regarding whether Kubiak was capable of getting a team to the Super Bowl . Simply questioning was he capable of doing it under any circumstances. Well, that's an argument that doesn't need to be conducted as it relates to Whisenhunt.

Please go ask Arizona fans what they think of Whisenhunt.. the criticism goes way beyond just not being able to find a "above average QB".

Kurt Warner playing like a HOFer is what lifted Whisenhunt, without him, he wasn't even a average coach. Success is relative and without Warner he wasn't even as successful as the "Gary Kubiak Texans" who coached with Schaub his entire tenure. Whisenhunt never even had a "Sage Rosenfels"

I said I put 3 coaches that were hired this offseason above Wisenhunt and this is the three.

Bill O'Brien
Mike Zimmerman
and
Lovie Smith

O'Brien lifted a program from what should've been absolute ruins to winning seasons and his offensive system that he coached in NE is taking over the league.

Zimmerman should've had the chance years ago and has excelled every stop he's been at. Honestly I think we would've been fine with hiring either one of these coaches.. Zimmerman has been long over due and I think he's going to be a success.

Lovie Smith was a very good coach for the bears and the only time he had a average QB (for that one year anyway), his team was in the SB.. When he still didn't have one he was still able to win games with Kyle Orton. If I was going to hire a "retread HC" it would've been him... Whisenhunt wouldn't of been on my list.

And the fact that Smith wasn't even given a voice in our HC hire makes me feel his nuts have already been cut and he needs to be fired tomorrow. It reeks of him being a lame duck G.M. the same way Casserly was.. We need a G.M. who actually has a voice and power in the room and isn't just a figure head which is obviously what Smith comes off as now.

Corrected for you.

Not like everybody else wasn't doing the same thing at that time.

Belichick has his team in another AFC championship game today. What is that, 1 SB and the last 2 aFC championship games in the last 3 yrs? Yeah, as a Texans fan give me some of that.

Belichick made the AFC championship without his 2 best offensive weapons Gronk/Hernandez and a RB (Blount that has been cut from 2 NFL teams.

That Belichick guy really stinks at his job.

The problem is that you've already been proven wrong (plenty of times).. "BoB" has had a commitment to winning since day one and I dare you to try to prove where he hasn't... I'll flash forward.. you can't. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm late to the game, but what the hell does "BoB" even mean? You're the only person I ever see type it (Newsflash... It hasn't caught on) so you should be able to tell me... Why do you type it?

1. (since you like to number things) Is it because he's cheap? Nope it can't be that, because he's never been cheap to begin
with

2. Did he make bad hires (Only in hindsight to morons who label him "BoB").. Nope didn't do that either. He only hired the guy that led a expansion team to the NFC championship and as far as Kubkiak and his patience goes with his head coaching hires. Where is "BoB" supposed to draw the line? Is it going to happen when he keeps a coach that you don't approve of too long?

Or are you going to label the man "BoB" when he prematurely fires someone that you approved of? Which is it?

The guy's name is Bob McNair.

Last edited:
Wow I'm glad Brian Gardner was fired. Now, nothing is holding Rick Smith back from greatness!

Just to get something clear, what was the big FA signing that Gardner screwed up on? Was he the proponent for signing Ed Reed? "It wasn't me Bob. Gardner wanted Reed. I thought he was done, myself."

Why Gardner? Did he think that Derek Newton could hold down the RT spot? That the Texans didn't need to bolster the ILB corps? That McCain and Harris could play nickel CB in the NFL?

Look, I hope the Texans turn everything around and become a top NFL team in 2014. But, I can't shake the feeling that there is still a cancer that needs to be removed. And it wasn't Brian Gardner.

The problem is that you've already been proven wrong (plenty of times).. "BoB" has had a commitment to winning since day one and I dare you to try to prove where he hasn't... I'll flash forward.. you can't. :rolleyes:

I don't think you'll get an argument from anyone that McNair hasn't been committed to winning since day 1. What is becoming clear is McNair doesn't really know how and after 12 years, 79-113, is proving that he's not very good at it.

Wow I'm glad Brian Gardner was fired. Now, nothing is holding Rick Smith back from greatness!

Just to get something clear, what was the big FA signing that Gardner screwed up on? Was he the proponent for signing Ed Reed? "It wasn't me Bob. Gardner wanted Reed. I thought he was done, myself."

Why Gardner? Did he think that Derek Newton could hold down the RT spot? That the Texans didn't need to bolster the ILB corps? That McCain and Harris could play nickel CB in the NFL?

Look, I hope the Texans turn everything around and become a top NFL team in 2014. But, I can't shake the feeling that there is still a cancer that needs to be removed. And it wasn't Brian Gardner.

When slick rick reached out his hand awkwardly, end of Bill O'Brian hiring press conference, I got that sense of, "I know you don't trust me but lets still be friends & work things out" gut feeling. I'm not sure if Rick is further up Bob's or Cal's a$$ but clearly he is playing on their sympathy to remain the GM. The only way this cancer will be removed if a 3rd party (Dr. O'Brian) can show conclusive evidence, that it needs to be removed or face dire consequences.

I don't think you'll get an argument from anyone that McNair hasn't been committed to winning since day 1. What is becoming clear is McNair doesn't really know how and after 12 years, 79-113, is proving that he's not very good at it.

So a guy that has made billions of dollars doesn't know how to win.. LMAO

So a guy that has made billions of dollars doesn't know how to win.. LMAO

Not so much in the National Football League. I believe in the scoreboard. The scoreboard says, 79-113, .411. The scoreboard doesn't lie. You can accept the reality and truth of the scoreboard or you can continue to live in denial while continuing to make excuses for all the failures. It is what it is. Besides McNair there is another 20 something Billionaires who are not very good as owners in the NFL.

I get the feeling that Smith is going to get the Casserly treatment after the draft is over.

Not so much in the National Football League. I believe in the scoreboard. The scoreboard says, 79-113, .411. The scoreboard doesn't lie. You can accept the reality and truth of the scoreboard or you can continue to live in denial while continuing to make excuses for all the failures. It is what it is. Besides McNair there is another 20 something Billionaires who are not very good as owners in the NFL.

Umm.. last I checked Billionaires don't coach football

And how hasn't McNair been a good owner.. please fill me in, I really want to here this B.S.

Hows this for realitiy

Let me fill you in on your owner that is "BoB" (whatever the hell that means). I was never supposed to speak of this, but a truck driver who worked for "BoB" served in Vietnam and was Vietnam vet and met "BoB" numerous of times just in passing. The Vietnam vet came down with cancer due to his exposure to agent orange in that war.. He died and "BoB" took care of his widow's mortgage..

The Vietnam vet was my father in law... Damn, what a cheap POS who only cares about the bottom line huh? :rolleyes:

Umm.. last I checked Billionaires don't coach football

And how hasn't McNair been a good owner.. please fill me in, I really want to here this B.S.

79-113, .411 is pretty much self explanatory. Would you be happier if I said that McNair is not only a Good Loser, he's a GREAT Loser in the NFL?

79-113, .411 is pretty much self explanatory. Would you be happier if I said that McNair is not only a Good Loser, he's a GREAT Loser?

Would you be happier if I said you were misinformed, or called you a idiot?

Again you didn't answer my question. (If Losers were as successful as "BoB", damn, I'd love to be that kind of loser)

"BoB's" job is to hire people and then step back and give them the freedom and resources to win football games. He's done that in spades and has spared no expense in doing so. What else do you want from a owner? Let me guess.. You want Al Davis, Jimmy Jones, or maybe a owner like Bud Adams?

Would you be happier if I said you were misinformed, or called you a idiot?

Again you didn't answer my question. (If Losers were as successful as "BoB", damn, I'd love to be that kind of loser)

"BoB's" job is to hire people and then give them the freedom and resources to win football games. He's done that in spades and has spared no expense in doing so. What else do you want from a owner?

I think new owners are trying to catch lightning in a bottle . They come in like a keeper fantasy league and try to build a team from scratch . Bob is trying to keep the fuse lit while running a very lucrative business . He thought Kubiak was the answer but caught him on the tail end of the Shanny tree success . Maybe Bill O'Brien will be a start to the O'Brien coaching tree . :fans:

I think new owners are trying to catch lightning in a bottle . They come in like a keeper fantasy league and try to build a team from scratch . Bob is trying to keep the fuse lit while running a very lucrative business . He thought Kubiak was the answer but caught him on the tail end of the Shanny tree success . Maybe Bill O'Brien will be a start to the O'Brien coaching tree . :fans:

We have the right owner in place to win a SB... I hope O'Bren is the right coach.. and then I hope we get the right QB. You need to hit on all three to win a SB.

79-113, .411 is pretty much self explanatory. Would you be happier if I said that McNair is not only a Good Loser, he's a GREAT Loser in the NFL?

Putting the W/L record on the owner is idiotic.

So is failing to see improvement from 18-46 (.28) the 1st four years to 61-67 (.48) and that McNair is attempting to improve further from there.

Yet another idiotic assertion is that losing 12 games in 2002 has any bearing on the state of the team or McNair's knowledge of winning now.

We have the right owner in place to win a SB... I hope O'Bren is the right coach.. and then I hope we get the right QB. You need to hit on all three to win a SB.

Yep ... Jerry Jones got lucky but it was shaky for a bit . Jimmy drafted Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft cause he didn't trust Aikman at first . He had the Herschel Walker to trade to give him a shotgun blast effect at the draft and hit some some school studs along with Chad Hennings who outgrew the Air Force .

Yep ... Jerry Jones got lucky but it was shaky for a bit . Jimmy drafted Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft cause he didn't trust Aikman at first . He had the Herschel Walker to trade to give him a shotgun blast effect at the draft and hit some some school studs along with Chad Hennings who outgrew the Air Force .

AND Jimmy got the best OL coach in football and they built the best OL out of relative spare parts.

"BoB's" job is to hire people and then step back and give them the freedom and resources to win football games.

Well Then......The record is crystal clear that BoB has done a terrible job in trying to hire the right people and has done an excellent job in hiring all the wrong people to run his football team.

Putting the W/L record on the owner is idiotic.

So is failing to see improvement from 18-46 (.28) the 1st four years to 61-67 (.48) and that McNair is attempting to improve further from there.

Yet another idiotic assertion is that losing 12 games in 2002 has any bearing on the state of the team or McNair's knowledge of winning now.

Here we go again, you enter an arena with little or no substance but only to argue because you want to argue. I would say that losing 14 games in 2013 pretty much validates losing 12 games in 2002. It validates the mindset, business plan, way of doing business, familiar pattern of behavior, 3 #1 draft picks and poor decisions that have followed Bob McNair and the Houston Texans over the last 12 years. The scoreboard doesn't lie whether you choose to believe it or not. In this case like many others you'd be better served picking porcupine quills out of your butt.

Back