Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Brian Gaine Fired

I thought Texian left because Bortles flamed out. Everyone had their theory, I guess.

"Yes I got it wrong about Watson. I thought he would turnout to be a Taj Boyd. Clearly he is much better than that. I have always been man enough to admit when I get it wrong. You? Not so much."

Wrong? I'm positive he's never been wrong. Or that he will admit it.

Well I just stopped in to read about the latest fiasco. A pattern you come to expect from the clowns at Kirby. There will be more fiascos, I have often said and predicted as much when dealing with this bunch. It's what the Texans do. Texans are a likely candidate to be a Top 10 draft pick in 2020.

This board is a lot like watching a very bad soap opera. You can leave for two years and absolutely nothing has changed. My second post was addressing the SOS I was posting 3-4-5 years ago. One thing you can count on is Cak posting his same old BS morning to night 7 days a week. Man, what a life. Visiting this message board is like sitting in a 3rd grade lunchroom. After two years you would expect it to be a 5th grade lunchroom but nope, no such luck there. Adolescence in grown adult males at it's finest. I'm scurrying off again but may return again after the next classic Houston Texans Bozo fiasco. Read you then!

Not a Colts fan. Someone made that accusation and you believed it. @beerlover just said, Colts are a better team, does that make him a Colts fan?

Yes I am a Colts fan because I made the simple observation that history shows that the Texans could only beat the Colts when the Colts 2nd team QB played a full game against the Texans....so there you go.....or in other words the Texans could only beat the Colts when Manning and Luck were not in the lineup.

Whatever man. You are full of bull ****.

Thing about a science background, being proven wrong isn't bad. It's just better information/data.

Soneone has facts on me, more power to them. Just point them out rather than making a naked claim.

Hate when I get afflicted with gorilla fingers also

Whatever man. You are full of bull ****.
Because I made a very simple observation that the Texans could only beat the Colts when Manning and Luck were not playing I was labeled a Colts fan. "Yes I am a Colts fan because" is SARCASM. Something that you apparently don't get or understand.

Texans are a likely candidate to be a Top 10 draft pick in 2020.
The random NFL team has a 31% chance of a top 10 draft slot. The Texans have had two top 10 draft slots in the past 10 years, or 20% of the time. The average draft slot for the Texans the past 10 seasons is 17. When the Texans are not drafting in the top 10 in 2020, I'm sure you will return and admit your mistake.

Why doesn't Obrian ever get blamed for the bs going on around here. There's no way the new GM isn't going to be handpicked by Obrine. When the poop hits the fan, all he has to say is "it's not my job." He should have been gone a long time ago.

He gets a lot blame from me and quite of few other members.

Well I hope I am wrong about Cal but right now I see things going from bad to worse with Cal at the helm. People are saying that Cal wants to win. To that I say, so did Bob, probably more so than Cal. Yes they all want to win, they just don't know how. My crystal ball says after a couple of bad seasons, and I expect that sooner rather than later (schedule), Cal's siblings will begin to raise a stink and insist on wanting their fair share of the Houston Texans pie, in cash. Mama McNair will step in and sell the Texans in order to maintain peace in the family. For Texans fans this comes with a caveat and a BIG caution, be careful what you wish for and the grass is not always greener on the other side.
You say, along with others posting here, that Cal does not know how to win. Maybe, but it seems to me that the organization has put all its eggs into one basket that I'e seen referred to as the O' Brien Way. Last year Jack Easterby came over from the Pat's to be O'Brien's right hand man, in the position of executive vice-president of team development. The team's first choice 17 months ago for GM was New England director of player personel Nick Caserio. Strong indications/rumors are that he's going to be the one to replace Gaines.

The plain and simple fact is the O'Brien, as HC, has led the team to the division title in three of the past four years. We still have to take the next step, but the organization still has faith in the path they have chosen to take. Despite the negativity on this board, the team is loaded with talent and I've already seen one major publication picking the Texans to edge out the Colts this coming season. It appears that the organization is in a win now mode and believe, barring injury, they can do it this season.

The report is that Gaines' firing was not a quick decision but had been under consideration for several weeks. I suspect that Gaines' firing had something to do with some disagreement over decisions to advance this overall plan. Maybe Clowney? As it stands now, he won't be reporting until just before the first game and won't be in playing shape for the first quarter of the season. He needs to be in camp day one.

But whatever, I do see a plan and a direction the team and the organization is taking. I think the primary disagreement is that many just don't care for the McNair's as team owners, O'Brien as HC or the direction the organization is taking toward building a winning culture and team. As I said, we've won our division three of the past four season The league sees the Texans as a winning organization.

Not sure what to make of the Gaine firing. I liked the direction I thought he was taking the team and at this point the firing feels like a knee jerk reaction.

Have to see who they replace him with. Hopefully his isn't the first of a continuing carousel of moves in the GM and HC positions. Not excepting status quo and decisive changes when you identify leadership is not up to the task is good, but constant change and instability is just as bad if not worse. Hopefully Cal has the wisdom to know when to make change, to choose the right replacement and the patience to give the right choice time to work their plan. Time will tell what kind of an owner Cal turns out to be. At this point all we know is he seems to be a bit different than his father.

Time will tell what kind of an owner Cal turns out to be. At this point all we know is he seems to be a bit different than his father.
I think Cal has the right to bring in his own people. He's been in the organization from the beginning, but hasn't been the one to make the final decision. Would have preferred he made the call at the beginning of the offseason, but he was still grieving his father. I don't know what kind of owner Cal will be. But it seems like he will not be a chip off the old block.

"Yes I got it wrong about Watson. I thought he would turnout to be a Taj Boyd. Clearly he is much better than that. I have always been man enough to admit when I get it wrong. You? Not so much."

Great post all the way except the end.

Martin Mayhew is in Houston to interview for the vacant Texans GM position, per sources. Mayhew is currently the 49ers Vice President of Player Personnel and a former GM of the Detroit Lions. Respected personnel man and former player. @nflnetwork @gmfb @NFLonFOX

1:34 PM - Jun 9, 2019

49ers and lions, oh yeah, there’s two teams we want to be like. If he can do for us what he did for Detroit..........yep, we’re boned.

State of the Texans @SOTTexans

New England Patriots Nick Caserio Favorite for #Texans GM Vacancy https://footballmaven.io/texans/news/new-england-patriots-nick-caserio-favorite-for-texans-gm-vacancy-8Y7fdwVuA0KgIYnr0--YeQ/ … via @SOTTexans

1:58 PM - Jun 9, 2019

The Houston Texans are moving into full speed ahead in the general manager search and just two days after parting ways with general manager Brian Gaine. The Texans are now working to land New England director of player personnel Nick Caserio. Caserio was requested for an interview by the Texans when former general manager Rick Smith stepped away from the team for family reasons. New England denied the request for the meeting due to being in the playoffs.

The longtime Patriots personnel man is considered the front runner to land the Texans general manager opening to move forward with head coach Bill O'Brien.

Caserio has spent the past 18 seasons with the Patriots and the previous 11 as their Director of Player Personnel working in tandem with head coach Bill Belichick.

Caserio has been an attractive option for the general manager openings in recent seasons. He declined the Indianapolis Colts (2012), San Francisco 49ers (2017) and the Texans (2018) for their general manager opening. After interviewing for the Miami Dolphins general manager opening in 2014, he was offered the position but rejected the offer and returned to New England.

The Texans interview former Cleveland Browns general manager Ray Farmer on Saturday to satisfy the NFL's Rooney Rule.

I think Cal has the right to bring in his own people. He's been in the organization from the beginning, but hasn't been the one to make the final decision. Would have preferred he made the call at the beginning of the offseason, but he was still grieving his father. I don't know what kind of owner Cal will be. But it seems like he will not be a chip off the old block.
I totally agree he has every right to make whatever changes he wants. It is his team.

My thinking is, Bob McNair got desperate (after his first few choices weren’t available) after Rick Smith left and instead of waiting for the process to play out (in searching for a new GM) he hired someone familiar, Brian Gaine. And this is nothing more than Cal reversing course, correcting that mistake.

If Cal can land Caserio, a guy dad wanted 17 months ago I’m going to be encouraged with the future of this franchise.

Well I just stopped in to read about the latest fiasco. A pattern you come to expect from the clowns at Kirby. There will be more fiascos, I have often said and predicted as much when dealing with this bunch. It's what the Texans do. Texans are a likely candidate to be a Top 10 draft pick in 2020.

This board is a lot like watching a very bad soap opera. You can leave for two years and absolutely nothing has changed. My second post was addressing the SOS I was posting 3-4-5 years ago. One thing you can count on is Cak posting his same old BS morning to night 7 days a week. Man, what a life. Visiting this message board is like sitting in a 3rd grade lunchroom. After two years you would expect it to be a 5th grade lunchroom but nope, no such luck there. Adolescence in grown adult males at it's finest. I'm scurrying off again but may return again after the next classic Houston Texans Bozo fiasco. Read you then!
So you're only going to turn up and post when there is a huge negative with this team? Wow.

My thinking is, Bob McNair got desperate (after his first few choices weren’t available) after Rick Smith left and instead of waiting for the process to play out (in searching for a new GM) he hired someone familiar, Brian Gaine. And this is nothing more than Cal reversing course, correcting that mistake.

If Cal can land Caserio, a guy dad wanted 17 months ago I’m going to be encouraged with the future of this franchise.
He was my first choice for GM a year and a half ago

If we assume that we are in for a rebuild/ or at least a rough season and a reset... Regardless of mistakes Gaine may have made, he sure has put us in a good position to quickly turn this thing around:

1. Zero large, extended contracts for overpaid veterans.
2. A lot of cap room
3. short, veteran contracts- vets who can be re-signed or let go for compensatory picks since their contracts are expiring after one or two seasons.
4. A full slate of draft picks this season + 3 additional compensatory picks, including probably two that are 3rd-4th rounds.
5. A lot of youth across the board at every position.

** whether his removal was wise or not, they better get it right this time! 10 picks upcoming + big decisions on players like Watson, Clowney, and a lot of others either in their prime or entering their prime years.

If we assume that we are in for a rebuild/ or at least a rough season and a reset... Regardless of mistakes Gaine may have made, he sure has put us in a good position to quickly turn this thing around:

2. A lot of cap room
3. short, veteran contracts- vets who can be re-signed or let go for compensatory picks since their contracts are expiring after one or two seasons.
4. A full slate of draft picks this season + 3 additional compensatory picks, including probably two that are 3rd-4th rounds.

** whether his removal was wise or not, they better get it right this time! 10 picks upcoming + big decisions on players like Watson, Clowney, and a lot of others either in their prime or entering their prime years.

Seahawks are showing how to build a team around an expensive QB contract. Started with 4 draft picks then traded Frank Clark and maneuvered around on draft day ending with 10 picks. Need as many rookie contracts on roster as possible to offset the QB mega deal in today’s NFL.

Texans don’t have that problem (yet) but are in position to deal with it when the time comes.

The team's first choice 17 months ago for GM was New England director of player personel Nick Caserio. Strong indications/rumors are that he's going to be the one to replace Gaines.

So maybe we're looking at it wrong. Maybe Gaine did nothing wrong here. Maybe something happened in Boston & Caserio reached out to his buddies Easterby & O'Brien.

Last story I heard coming out of Foxboro was Brady skipping OTAs.

:thinking:

2. A lot of cap room

I'm positively sure firing Gaine when they did is a terrible look for the Texans org.

Like you said they have to get the new hire right. If they don't there will be a long Brown's like period.

I’m officially in on Nick Caserio as the next #Texans GM and wonder IF Jack Easterby, Houston’s EVP Of team development, after visiting with Caserio at the #Patriots ring ceremony earlier this week became convinced Caserio could be had and sold the higher ups.

— Landry Locker (@LandryLocker) June 9, 2019

Are the Pats going to let Ceasario interview?

You say, along with others posting here, that Cal does not know how to win. Maybe, but it seems to me that the organization has put all its eggs into one basket that I'e seen referred to as the O' Brien Way. Last year Jack Easterby came over from the Pat's to be O'Brien's right hand man, in the position of executive vice-president of team development. The team's first choice 17 months ago for GM was New England director of player personel Nick Caserio. Strong indications/rumors are that he's going to be the one to replace Gaines.

The plain and simple fact is the O'Brien, as HC, has led the team to the division title in three of the past four years. We still have to take the next step, but the organization still has faith in the path they have chosen to take. Despite the negativity on this board, the team is loaded with talent and I've already seen one major publication picking the Texans to edge out the Colts this coming season. It appears that the organization is in a win now mode and believe, barring injury, they can do it this season.

The report is that Gaines' firing was not a quick decision but had been under consideration for several weeks. I suspect that Gaines' firing had something to do with some disagreement over decisions to advance this overall plan. Maybe Clowney? As it stands now, he won't be reporting until just before the first game and won't be in playing shape for the first quarter of the season. He needs to be in camp day one.

But whatever, I do see a plan and a direction the team and the organization is taking. I think the primary disagreement is that many just don't care for the McNair's as team owners, O'Brien as HC or the direction the organization is taking toward building a winning culture and team. As I said, we've won our division three of the past four season The league sees the Texans as a winning organization.

Care to share what the plan is?

If they are in win now mode, drafting a couple of small school OT's wasn't a win now type of move. If they are in win now mode they really should trade for Trent Williams if he becomes available.

So maybe we're looking at it wrong. Maybe Gaine did nothing wrong here. Maybe something happened in Boston & Caserio reached out to his buddies Easterby & O'Brien.

Last story I heard coming out of Foxboro was Brady skipping OTAs.

:thinking:
Intriguing. Especially when considered with zshawn10's post.

This is not totally unfamiliar territory for the Texans. They went through it before when Charley Casserly left June 1, 2006 after the draft and free agency.

Back