Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Brandin Cooks to the Texans

I'm concerned about injuries and I'm not looking for something to ***** about. Fact is Fuller has never finished a season since he got here and there is no reason to think 2020 will be his first. Cooks has had 5 concussions in 6 years and maybe that means something and maybe it doesn't, I don't know its why I asked CnD in the injury thread and Cobb is no Hopkins. It very well could work out as you have said and teams blink and all 3 receivers are down field in which case we will see if Watson's combine weakness on the deep ball is accurate or has been improved on. However to say people shouldn't be concerns about injuries is ridiculous given the Texans WR history.

If you're worried about injuries, then you shouldn't be watching NFL football.

the Rams o-line was trash and they stopped feeding Gurley. Teams went after Goff, made him make plays and he couldn’t do it.....consistently anyway.

...are you sounding the alarm for Texans fans? The OL is questionable to average, running game is questionable to poor, receiving is questionable to injured and OB is dumping this in Watson's lap while saying make us winners.

You're crazy as heck if you really believe that. Especially when you're always stroking this crap going on with the Texans.

We want to be critical about the Rockets and there moves. But gives the Texans a pass for these weak ash moves.

I'm critical of the rockets moves b/c of all the nob slobbing that happens with Morey...a guy who supposedly wins every trade....Still hasn't amounted to **** in the championship column.

...are you sounding the alarm for Texans fans? The OL is questionable to average, running game is questionable to poor, receiving is questionable to injured and OB is dumping this in Watson's lap while saying make us winners.

Our o-line is just fine. Teams blitzed us heavy last year mostly in games where Fuller wasn't on the field which is when we had issues. Nuk as great as he was, wasn't a speed guy and had issues getting open quickly before blitzes got home. The name of the game was to get us in 3rd and long, Blitz DW4 and either force him into a mistake, or force him to throw it short. That's why Nuk played a little more slot last year too. Plus, if teams had too they could double or bracket him in zone coverage to take him away from DW4 and make him go elsewhere. With all the potential speed on the field, teams will be hard pressed to blitz us and you probably aren't going to be able to double any 1 guy without the others going off...and that's not even counting DW4's ability to escape (which is something Goff couldn't do) and Johnson and Johnson's abilities in the pass game.... I have the utmost confidence that If David Johnson gets the touches...........and everything about BoB's offense says that he definitely will, he can give us what Hyde gave us last year..........& more considering what he can do in the pass game.

But every year you chicken littles "sound the alarm". How many years in a row now have you and others predicted 7-9 or worse seasons for the team based on moves they made that you didn't like......... or picks they made in the draft you didn't like or some other variable like how tough our schedule was supposedly going to be for the upcoming season.
& all but 1 year under BoB all the Texans have done under him is prove ya'll wrong.

At this point, I just :sleep: at the hysteria ya'll drum up about every single thing that he does that alot of you don't like. The recipe amongst the fan base seems to be cast the worst possible scenario and that scenario almost never happens.

Last edited:
If anyone was still wondering if shipping Hopkins off was a personal and emotional move by O’Brien, wonder no longer. It wasn’t about money.
Anyone who has kept up with the news knows it has been reported that it was a combination of money/contract PLUS the friction between Hopkins and OB stemming from Hopkins regularly missing practice for various minor injuries.

That is one of the stupidest things I've ever read. You think Pats fans didn't worry about Brady getting injured, GB fans don't worry about Rogers getting injured, Saints brought in Bridgewater and paid him almost like a starter because they were worried about Brees getting injured, Steelers were living on borrowed time after Big Ben got injured, Chiefs season was almost over because Mahomes and Hill got injured. All teams worry about injuries to their key players because guess what if they do get injured then your season is over. Hell haven't we said for 2 years now that one of the big reasons Colts blew us out was because our offense was just Watson and Nuk at the time. Not sure where or when you came up with idea that players are interchangeable but its an asinine way of thinking.

In fact I would say because of how high impact football is fans should be concerned about injuries even more. Rarely do star pitchers go out for a season that's why they sign 7+ year contracts, rarely do star basketball players really go out with injury that's why its such big news when they do. In football its just a question of who is going out first, who will be out the longest and who will go out at the worst time.

What exactly do you mean by this? Everyone who watches NFL football worries about injuries to their players. I guess its a matter of injury history. Someone who has never been injured, has less concern than a guy like Cooks. Cooks has 5 concussions in 6 seasons. Realistically how could a true fan NOT be concerned about giving up a 2nd rounder for a guy with such an injury history? I think its the opposite of your statement, if you're NOT worries about injuries, then you shouldn't be watching NFL football. After giving up a 2nd rounder for a guy with 5 concussions and already considered retiring, its a HUGE concern.

OBrien replaces an All Pro who missed some practice time with a 30 year old WR who will get 9Ms per season, and another guy who is one hard hit away from drooling all over himself and eating Gerber the rest of his life?

Cobb+Cooks+DJ contracts = 28Ms
Hopkins 2020 = 13.5 (give him the raise that he DESERVES and you STILL save money)

Thats the answer to having a WR who didnt practice?

Its emotional, petty and grossly negligent.

That is one of the stupidest things I've ever read. You think Pats fans didn't worry about Brady getting injured, GB fans don't worry about Rogers getting injured, Saints brought in Bridgewater and paid him almost like a starter because they were worried about Brees getting injured, Steelers were living on borrowed time after Big Ben got injured, Chiefs season was almost over because Mahomes and Hill got injured. All teams worry about injuries to their key players because guess what if they do get injured then your season is over. Hell haven't we said for 2 years now that one of the big reasons Colts blew us out was because our offense was just Watson and Nuk at the time. Not sure where or when you came up with idea that players are interchangeable but its an asinine way of thinking.

In fact I would say because of how high impact football is fans should be concerned about injuries even more. Rarely do star pitchers go out for a season that's why they sign 7+ year contracts, rarely do star basketball players really go out with injury that's why its such big news when they do. In football its just a question of who is going out first, who will be out the longest and who will go out at the worst time.

You're proving my point. All teams face about the same level of risk every year...I have absolutely no empirical evidence to prove this, but i'm sure the risk of injury doesn't go appreciably up if you bring in a few more guys that have a little more injury history than others. But aside from that, Worrying about injuries is like worrying about a flooding in Houston. You know living here you're going to get some at some point in the year. The way you guys are harping on this though, Ya'll are forecasting it like the addition of Cooks and Cobbs is gonna be like Harvey level flooding.

Last edited:
What exactly do you mean by this? Everyone who watches NFL football worries about injuries to their players. I guess its a matter of injury history. Someone who has never been injured, has less concern than a guy like Cooks. Cooks has 5 concussions in 6 seasons. Realistically how could a true fan NOT be concerned about giving up a 2nd rounder for a guy with such an injury history? I think its the opposite of your statement, if you're NOT worries about injuries, then you shouldn't be watching NFL football. After giving up a 2nd rounder for a guy with 5 concussions and already considered retiring, its a HUGE concern.

Less of a concern isn't no concern at all. Watt was a beacon of health..........until he wasn't. So are you ready to ship him out b/c 3 of the last 4 years he's missed significant time? I didn't think so. You can never predict what an NFL season brings on the injury front and all teams face the same level of risk to their players. So why get all worked up about it?

By the way, even if they used that 2nd rounder on a player with a clean injury history in the draft, that still doesn't mean that said player won't develop an injury history. Look no further than Kevin Johnson for that. Stop with the concussions. Luke Kuechly has suffered a myriad of concussions over the years...he's still 1 of the best if not the best MLB in the game.

Less of a concern isn't no concern at all. Watt was a beacon of health..........until he wasn't. So are you ready to ship him out b/c 3 of the last 4 years he's missed significant time? I didn't think so. You can never predict what an NFL season brings on the injury front and all teams face the same level of risk to their players. So why get all worked up about it?

By the way, even if they used that 2nd rounder on a player with a clean injury history in the draft, that still doesn't mean that said player won't develop an injury history. Look no further than Kevin Johnson for that. Stop with the concussions. Luke Kuechly has suffered a myriad of concussions over the years...he's still 1 of the best if not the best MLB in the game.
There is a difference in Watt has been in this organization for years and developed his injury history WHILE with the team. We are acquiring a new player with significant injury history. There is a difference in injury in a player you already have and trading for a new player with pre-existing injury history, especially when its giving up a 2nd rounder.

There is a difference in Watt has been in this organization for years and developed his injury history WHILE with the team. We are acquiring a new player with significant injury history. There is a difference in injury in a player you already have and trading for a new player with pre-existing injury history, especially when its giving up a 2nd rounder.

lol DW4 had an injury history before we took him and wasted no time in adding to his injury history when he got here with us. I’m sure you didn’t bat an eye when we selected him in 2017 so no, it doesn’t matter. Injury history is injury history and if anything you’d be quicker to cut a guy loose that has developed his injury history with you than you would a guy you’re bringing in b/c you have inside knowledge on the extent of his injuries than other teams.

When did getting rid of an All Pro WR become cleaning up a mess? Seems like he's creating a mess and then having to clean it up.

Clowney'/Hopkins were not the type of players BOB wanted on HIS squad.

He wants guys who practice and guys who have a better success rate than 150 targets and 100 catches.

It's also obvious he wanted more speed at the wr position.

Nuk is gone deal with it. DW4'S going to have to learn how to play the QB position without his blanket. I'm interested in seeing if he's made any progress in learning.

The Texans have never had a WR corps like this. The middle of the field should be open. Cobb should have a really good yr,
I keep reading these posts that Cooks is injury prone. Yes he has had five concussions in his 6 years. But...

2015...games 16....targeted 129.....yds/rec 13.5

So, he has missed 2 games in 5 years. Injury prone?

Take a look at his career stats: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CookBr00.htm

lol DW4 had an injury history before we took him and wasted no time in adding to his injury history when he got here with us. I’m sure you didn’t bat an eye when we selected him in 2017 so no, it doesn’t matter. Injury history is injury history and if anything you’d be quicker to cut a guy loose that has developed his injury history with you than you would a guy you’re bringing in b/c you have inside knowledge on the extent of his injuries than other teams.
So you’re saying you’d be just as comfortable giving up a 2nd rounder for Cooks if he had no injury history and was 100% healthy vs. giving up a 2nd rounder for Cooks in the injury state he’s in right now??

Tell me how much the cap is going up next year and I might agree with you.
I’d say if it’s going up by less than $50 million then my post will stand. Watson’s market clearly above $30m, Tunsil at least $20m...spells trouble to me. I hope I’m wrong.

Always in the playoffs but never in the final game? Isn't that why we're upset with O'Brien? Hopkins, Clowney, Andre Johnson, whomever would be one week fussing if we were getting to the Super Bowl
NO. We’re upset with Emperor O because after six years HE hasn’t improved as a head coach. I don’t give two shts about making the playoffs If the end result is an ass whipping. He’s the new Marvin Lewis. Good enough to get you enough wins to make the playoffs but very little if any chance of advancing because of HIS shortcomings. No matter how good the team their always going to be held back by his deficiencies. If Emperor O was a QB he’s be Tony romo. Smart but Inconsistent guy who just couldn’t get it done when under pressure.

He keeps talking about building the team around Watson when in reality he’s building the team around himself. That would be fine if this was his first or second year and he hadn’t already proven time and time again that he just isn’t good at game management, player management, time management, making in game adjustments, having a good feel of the game and game preparation. We have the talent to beat good teams and the coaching to lose to bad teams. To often we play down to our competition and almost always get off to a slow start. So you feel free to move on from these highly questionable moves but until bill O’Brien proves he’s actually improved at his job there’s just no way I could do that.

I keep reading these posts that Cooks is injury prone. Yes he has had five concussions in his 6 years. But...

2015...games 16....targeted 129.....yds/rec 13.5

So, he has missed 2 games in 5 years. Injury prone?

Take a look at his career stats: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CookBr00.htm

Those pesky facts keep screwing up the narrative around these parts

Our o-line is just fine. Teams blitzed us heavy last year mostly in games where Fuller wasn't on the field which is when we had issues. Nuk as great as he was, wasn't a speed guy and had issues getting open quickly before blitzes got home. The name of the game was to get us in 3rd and long, Blitz DW4 and either force him into a mistake, or force him to throw it short. That's why Nuk played a little more slot last year too. Plus, if teams had too they could double or bracket him in zone coverage to take him away from DW4 and make him go elsewhere. With all the potential speed on the field, teams will be hard pressed to blitz us and you probably aren't going to be able to double any 1 guy without the others going off...and that's not even counting DW4's ability to escape (which is something Goff couldn't do) and Johnson and Johnson's abilities in the pass game.... I have the utmost confidence that If David Johnson gets the touches...........and everything about BoB's offense says that he definitely will, he can give us what Hyde gave us last year..........& more considering what he can do in the pass game.

But every year you chicken littles "sound the alarm". How many years in a row now have you and others predicted 7-9 or worse seasons for the team based on moves they made that you didn't like......... or picks they made in the draft you didn't like or some other variable like how tough our schedule was supposedly going to be for the upcoming season.
& all but 1 year under BoB all the Texans have done under him is prove ya'll wrong.

At this point, I just :sleep: at the hysteria ya'll drum up about every single thing that he does that alot of you don't like. The recipe amongst the fan base seems to be cast the worst possible scenario and that scenario almost never happens.

Proved us wrong???!! hahaha how??!!!. He keeps getting out coached in the playoffs by the better teams and was literally bailed out by Watson against the Bills this past playoffs. Buttchin choked vs KC and you say he is proving us wrong?!. I guess winning one game in the playoffs equals to GOAT status.

I’d say if it’s going up by less than $50 million then my post will stand. Watson’s market clearly above $30m, Tunsil at least $20m...spells trouble to me. I hope I’m wrong.

They are currently way under the cap. There's plenty of money. BOB didn't want to get locked into Nuk at 20 mil/5 yrs.

Brandin Cooks didn't have a single game of even 60 receiving yards from Week 5 until the end of the season, and the Rams were willing to take the largest single-season cap hit in NFL history to get rid of him.
His average per game for 2015 was 71.1; 2016, 73.3; 2017, 67.6; 2018, 75.3
He started 14 games last year. With only 72 targets, he apparently was a decoy, with his speed. But one down year in five?

Laugh out loud Luke Kuechly retired because of that goofball
Laugh out loud Luke Kuechly retired because of that goofball

So you’re saying you’d be just as comfortable giving up a 2nd rounder for Cooks if he had no injury history and was 100% healthy vs. giving up a 2nd rounder for Cooks in the injury state he’s in right now??

pretty much.. sure there’s a chance he’ll miss a few games..but that chance is the same for every player in the league...

Proved us wrong???!! hahaha how??!!!. He keeps getting out coached in the playoffs by the better teams and was literally bailed out by Watson against the Bills this past playoffs. Buttchin choked vs KC and you say he is proving us wrong?!. I guess winning one game in the playoffs equals to GOAT status.

DW4 was more of the problem than the answer against Buffalo. He got lucky. Against K.C. that was a total team meltdown and the better team with a QB that showed us what a leader looks like won.

One QB rallied his troops when things were bad. The other put on his coat and sulked.

Last edited:

I'm saying I'm comfortable with the trade and I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out. The wr corps is alot more dynamic with Cooks/Cobb.

How many games has Cooks missed over the last 5 years?

he keeps proving you chicken littles wrong...”this is it, we’re gonna suck this year!”

DW4 was more of the problem than the answer against Buffalo. He got lucky. Against K.C. that was a total team meltdown and the better team with a QB that showed us what a leader looks like won.

One QB rallied his troops when things were bad. The other put on Wis coat and sulked.
Being able to scramble out of a sack is lucky?. I bet if his name was Mahomes you would have called that clutch. Against KC he rallied his "troops" as best as his "commander" relayed his plans to execute plays. That game was Reid vs Buttchin and your boy lost.

His average per game for 2015 was 71.1; 2016, 73.3; 2017, 67.6; 2018, 75.3
He started 14 games last year. With only 72 targets, he apparently was a decoy, with his speed. But one down year in five?

It's more likely that he's just damaged goods

While no other receiver in the roster has Hopkins’ level hands, they can all still catch and get open faster than Hopkins. If, and big IF, O’Brien can use these guys appropriately we should be able to go toe-to-toe with the Chiefs. We now have the speed to rack up the score and keep it going. I really just hope we focus on defense the rest of the way now. Health is a concern, of course, but what’s done is done. I’m giving arse face the benefit of the doubt...

Lol, I guess then every team that didn’t win the SB sucked then...all 31 of them...all their HC should be fired then.

They did suck. You dont win the SB you sucked, you must be one of those who demands participation trophies. And HC who suck for 6 years usually get the boot not a promotion to suck another 6 years.

#Texans are Choosing Depth
(2019 Production)

Deandre Hopkins,
104 REC, 1165 yards, 7 TD

Cooks + Cobb + Johnson,
133 REC, 1,781 yards, 5 TD

Hopkins would’ve required a min. $41M fully guaranteed.

Cobb, Cooks, Johnson hold $38.3M fully guaranteed thru 2021.
— Spotrac (@spotrac) April 10, 2020

Sure but giving up a 2nd in a draft loaded with WRs who are younger and on better contracts is just idiotic

While no other receiver in the roster has Hopkins’ level hands, they can all still catch and get open faster than Hopkins. If, and big IF, O’Brien can use these guys appropriately we should be able to go toe-to-toe with the Chiefs. We now have the speed to rack up the score and keep it going. I really just hope we focus on defense the rest of the way now. Health is a concern, of course, but what’s done is done. I’m giving arse face the benefit of the doubt...

Lots of "Ifs" when we know what Hopkins would bring to the table. Now we have to wait and see IF all this works.

I haven't read one word how the Coronavirus may have influenced this trade. The latest word is that OTA's are on hold. Club facilities are closed.

It's just rumor, but I've heard comments that Training Camp might be impacted. What is certain, however, everything is up in the air and nothing is certain.

The team was, imo, almost certainly going to use one of their first two picks on receiver. Without knowing how much training that player would receive before the season.

OB chose instead to go with a proven 26 year old veteran, with 4 years remaining on his contract.

I would have liked to have gotten Mims or Reagor, but there was no certainty they would have been available. With the season in the turmoil it is in, I understand this move and I'm OK with it. We got a good addition to the team.

Lots of "Ifs" when we know what Hopkins would bring to the table. Now we have to wait and see IF all this works.
I agree 100% but slicing my wrist won’t bring back Hopkins or all the draft picks O’Brien done gave away. I’m just ready to see what all this speed can do for us, and how they’ll be utilized. It’ll either turn out really good, or go terribly wrong. Extremely high risk, high reward. These moves have revived my interest in Texans Football.

BOB'S looking to challenge the Chiefs wr corps speed wise.

The draft should have been spent on the defensive side of the ball. If Warring can come thru and the WR corps can stay healthy then there will be no more excuses for DW4. That's one of the most dangerous we corps in the NFL.
Are you forgetting that the straw that stirs the Chief's passing game is Travis Kelce? All Pro, All Decade TE? Perhaps, you've heard of him?

Warring? Stop with "if Warring" posts. If you want to see Warring, go to the beach. The guy won't get off his surfboard this season.

Billy O is looking to challenge the all time IRs for WRs in a season. He definitely has a type. We both know that the Cooks trade is the most egregious deal made by O'Brien, yet. How many rookie WRs that could be taken at 2.57 will out produce Cooks THIS season? 5? 6? More? This guy is an unmitigated disaster.

They did suck. You dont win the SB you sucked, you must be one of those who demands participation trophies. And HC who suck for 6 years usually get the boot not a promotion to suck another 6 years.

Cool story bro

And you must be try hard guy or that guy 1 guy diving for loose balls in pick up basketball...or that 1 coach trying to run 2- a days with your sons pop warner team.

Back