Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bob McNair just passed away

RIP....I don’t think many folks will really appreciate what this guy did until this team wins its 1st championship. Listening to David Carr on NFL network...they were interviewing him as he was the franchise’s first ever pick.....said this dude went bankrupt trying to bringing football back to Houston....didn’t know that. Hearing it though..makes me appreciate him, the franchise and what he did even more.

RIP

Bob McNair risking bankruptcy? Lol

He still had at least 300 mil in the bank after he bought the team from selling his Enron stock

I posted other thread but want add here; hope it isn't thought to be inconsiderate; this could be something to help team going forward. Regardless of whom player may be all should want to come together for McNairs and Houston using this as another motivator. If timing is wrong I apologise to any offended.

Could just as easily go the other way too, just look at the Redskins after Cooke died.

"Since Snyder bought the Redskins, the team has had a losing record (132-171-1 through the end of the 2017 season).[20] They have also gone through eight head coaches in 17 seasons.[21] In October 2009, several articles in Washington area newspapers criticized Snyder, alleging that his managerial style was partly to blame for the Redskins' on-field struggles.[22][23][24] A November 24, 2009 article in the Wall Street Journal also questioned whether Snyder's leadership style had alienated the Redskins fan-base, questioning "Are the Redskins Losing Washington?"[25] The article quotes from a Harris Interactive poll showing that whereas the Redskins in 2003 were the 6th most popular NFL team nationally, by 2009 they had fallen to No. 17, but in 2014 had climbed to #10.

After a 3–7 start to the 2009 Washington Redskins season, criticism of Snyder and his general manager, Vinny Cerrato, escalated. Fans and football analysts have criticized the revolving-door of Redskins head coaches employed since Snyder bought the team, as well as Snyder and Cerrato's pattern of hiring expensive free agents and trading away draft picks for older players instead of recruiting young talent through the NFL draft.[25] Vinny Cerrato resigned on December 17, 2009.[26]

Under Snyder, the Redskins sued season ticket holders who were unable to pay during the 2008–2009 U.S. recession. Snyder did this despite his claim that there are over 200,000 people on the season ticket waiting list.[27]

Part way through the 2009 season, Snyder banned all signs from FedExField, leading to further fan discontentment.[28][29] The ban was lifted shortly thereafter.[30]

Writing in Forbes Magazine, Monte Burke states that distaste for Snyder has made the team name controversy worse than it needed to be, but there are others that also defend his position[31][32]

Redskins fans have also expressed discontentment about rising ticket and parking prices, and Snyder's policy of charging fans for tailgates in special areas of the stadium lot.[33] The Redskins did not raise ticket prices from 2006 through 2012.[34] Fans have also complained about the game-day experience.[4] While problems such as traffic and parking were inherited when Snyder bought the team, and are outside of his control, fans have expressed displeasure with Snyder led initiatives that they feel distract from the enjoyment of attendance. One fan explains:
"

Last edited:
Rest In Peace Mr McNair. You gave more then your fair share for our city in football and in life. It’s calculated that McNairs foundations have donated over $500 million dollars....no matter how the national media tried to paint him by all account he was a caring and compassionate man that will be missed.

The way he went about improving the team was controversial, but he tried and he cared. Now I'm sure he has accomplished what it was said to be hard for a rich man to do. May we go on to win the SB as he looks down on his team.

What changes will be made after things settle back into everyday mode? Will Billy get canned? Will the GM stay on and have the responsibility for the team's operation? Time will tell.

RIP

Bob McNair risking bankruptcy? Lol

He still had at least 300 mil in the bank after he bought the team from selling his Enron stock

Chapter 7 & Chapter 13...2 different types that mean different levels of broke. I also don't think Carr would lie on national TV about McNair telling him a story about going bankrupt and climbing back out of it to repay everyone back he owed money to....Regardless, the guy dropped over half his wealth into a venture he didn't have to..& that is to be respected no matter how we may view his version of broke vs ours.

On a side note, The Astros, Rockets and now Texans will all have changed ownership somewhat in the last 5 years. That's rare.

Last edited:
Chapter 7 & Chapter 13...2 different types that mean different levels of broke. I also don't think Carr would lie on national TV about McNair telling him a story about going bankrupt and climbing back out of it to repay everyone back he owed money to....Regardless, the guy dropped over half his wealth into a venture he didn't have to..& that is to be respected no matter how we may view his version of broke vs ours.

On a side note, The Astros, Rockets and now Texans will all have changed ownership somewhat in the last 5 years. That's rare.
I agree, I don't believe bankruptcy works exactly the same at the higher levels.......

That said, I also agree that it doesn't diminish what he did.

I didn't mean this post as a slight to McNair.

This isn't a situation like the 49ers or the Bills....where an outsider with little to no ties will be coming in. Cal has been at BoB McNair's side in the luxury suites this entire time so I don't think we'll see a major departure in how this team has been managed.
Very little, as Cal has been running the business side for over a year.
So you both think Cal is 100 percent behind O'Brien? Running business or not Cal could be respectful to his still strong influencing father who was known to be overly loyal to his employees. I'm not arguing a position just discussing possibilities I see. Does Cal have any lingering thoughts about OBrien winning out over Smith when such a strong anti-coach sentiments by fans and media types are still voiced despite current record?
Mr Tex where else would the heir apparent be but at his dad's side?

RIP Mr. McNair.

As long as Cal doesn’t suddenly go all “Commodus” on us and start throwing a football around and reserving himself a number the Texans should be same old, same old going forward.

So you both think Cal is 100 percent behind O'Brien? Running business or not Cal could be respectful to his still strong influencing father who was known to be overly loyal to his employees. I'm not arguing a position just discussing possibilities I see. Does Cal have any lingering thoughts about OBrien winning out over Smith when such a strong anti-coach sentiments by fans and media types are still voiced despite current record?

I will let each poster believe or not believe this on his or her own.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Cal-McNair-groomed-to-run-Texans-13417556.php

I’m sorry, but that just drips anti-O’Brien. Fan and media sentiment, one way or the other, will be given the same weight as always when making football decisions, which won’t be much and never has been.

Last edited:
RIP. The supposedly racist thing he said was a bad attempt (George Bush like) to repeat the "inmates running the asylum" phrase that I have heard since I was a child. I honestly think that was an old man thing and not racism at all. I was DEVASTATED when the Oilers left. I had no Sunday football other than rooting for whoever the cowboys played and that was not fulfilling. Regardless of of our success or lack of it, I will be forever grateful to him and his family bringing our NFL sundays back.

Now let's just smash the team that claims our Tyler Rose on Monday!!!!

Very little, as Cal has been running the business side for over a year.
I dunno but is there any chance that any of the other children get involved in running the team or is Cal probably gonna remain the only child at the helm ?
Never forget the phone call my wife made to me back in '99 from Houston when I was working in Olympic, WA and tried for 10 minutes to convince me that Houston had beat out LA for the new NFL franchise - thought for sure she was just pranking me.
Thanks Mr NcNair, I shall always be grateful. And thoughts with the McNair family at this time.

My prayers and condolences to the family and friends of Robert C McNair. I lived and graduated HS in Houston in 69. I was an avid Oilers fan at the Astrodome. When they left McNair and the Texans came and filled in the void. He did a lot for the city of Houston and charities too. The soon to be day the Houston Texans go to the Super Bowl he will know and be looking proudly down upon us all. God bless you.

Last edited:
RIP. The supposedly racist thing he said was a bad attempt (George Bush like) to repeat the "inmates running the asylum" phrase that I have heard since I was a child. I honestly think that was an old man thing and not racism at all. I was DEVASTATED when the Oilers left. I had no Sunday football other than rooting for whoever the cowboys played and that was not fulfilling. Regardless of of our success or lack of it, I will be forever grateful to him and his family bringing our NFL sundays back.

While not blatantly saying he was racially insensitive directly Bob McBair would routinely support those 'racists' amongst owners it would seem most notably the controversy with Carolinas owner that had him stripped of the team. Quack like a duck...

@CloakNNNdagger so was it a return of cancer Doc? It was kept under wraps quite well, it was a pretty sudden and shocking development.

This isn't a situation like the 49ers or the Bills....where an outsider with little to no ties will be coming in. Cal has been at BoB McNair's side in the luxury suites this entire time so I don't think we'll see a major departure in how this team has been managed.
Yep, he may just want to honour his Dad's vision of the team.

Bob McNair, Energy Mogul Who Brought the N.F.L. Back to Houston, Dies at 81
Bob McNair, a transplanted Texan who built an energy empire that earned him a fortune he would spend on an N.F.L. team and philanthropy and political causes, died on Friday at his home in Houston. He was 81.

The team he owned, the Houston Texans, announced his death in a statement. A team spokeswoman said the cause was cancer.

A longtime Houstonian, Mr. McNair founded Cogen Technologies, which became the largest privately owned cogeneration company in the world — and then sold the bulk of it in 1999 for $1.1 billion with an eye toward becoming a National Football League owner. In October 1999 his aspirations were realized when the league awarded him the franchise that would become the Texans — a move that would return professional football to Houston in 2002, six years after the Oilers skipped for Tennessee to become the Titans.

“The whole thing was just an absolute dream come true,” Mr. McNair told The New York Times that year. “I don’t know how I could have scripted anything better.”

As the team’s owner, Mr. McNair was also instrumental in bringing two Super Bowls to Houston, in 2004 and in 2017.

“Nobody cared — or helped people — more, and that’s just one of the reasons I will always be proud Bob was my good friend,” former President George Bush said in a statement on Friday. “He was simply the best.”

Robert C. McNair was born in Tampa, Fla., on Jan. 1, 1937, to Ruth and Ruse McNair. He grew up in Rutherford County, N.C., and graduated from the University of South Carolina in 1958; he and his wife, Janice Suber McNair, moved to Houston two years later.
After amassing his fortune in the energy sector, Mr. McNair began contributing large sums to educational, philanthropic and politically conservative causes. For instance, he donated $100 million to the Baylor College of Medicine in 2007 and pledged $1 million each to relief efforts following Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and Hurricane Harvey in 2017.

His donations over the years helped etch his name on everything from a graduate school of management to an Asian elephant habitat, according to a biography on the Texans’ website.
In 2012, he gave $1 million to a super PAC supporting Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign. In the lead-up to the 2016 elections, he gave more than $7 million to conservative groups and campaigns. And when Donald J. Trump was elected, Mr. McNair donated another $1 million for inauguration festivities.

In 2015, Mr. McNair was criticized for donating $10,000 to a group that opposed a Houston ordinance that sought to protect gay and transgender rights. He later rescinded the check, saying the group had “made numerous unauthorized statements” about his opposition to the ordinance.
But it was with his $700 million bid to create the new Houston franchise that he would enter the exclusive club of N.F.L. owners and raise his public profile.
Mr. McNair was among the owners most actively involved in N.F.L. matters, serving as chairman of the finance committee while also sitting on two other committees.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/23/...html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

While not blatantly saying he was racially insensitive directly Bob McBair would routinely support those 'racists' amongst owners it would seem most notably the controversy with Carolinas owner that had him stripped of the team. Quack like a duck...

[B]@CloakNNNdagger[/B] so was it a return of cancer Doc? It was kept under wraps quite well, it was a pretty sudden and shocking development.

Yes. Your best chance when dealing with a significant squamous cell skin cancer, successful initial treatment is of utmost importance. Recurrence otherwise becomes a very much more difficult-to-treat situation, and can be accompanied by metastasis (spread) to lymph nodes and/or internal organs. Certainly this will almost invariably occur if the recurrence is not treated successfully. McNair in his fight to eradicate this cancer underwent surgery, radiation, chemotherapy and even an experimental therapy. Throughout his arduous treatments, he never lost his smile, his will to fight..........or himself. In the end, it was not enough.

This is really the point on all this. I'm sick of the racist thing. These people were raised and lived in a different time. And just like myself that my thoughts are somewhat stuck in the late 80s early 90s, my guess is he was stuck in the 50s early 60s pre civil rights stuff. My dad is 84 and says some of the most amazing things not understanding its really not the right thing to say in 2018. We have a very bad habit to hold older generations to the norms of the time and as we write the rule book I dont expect them to keep up.

As for Mr McNair. Football is a way of life in my house and has been since I've been 10 years old. I loved the oilers and was devastated when they left. Infact I hope Bud Adams is roasting somewhere for if nothing else not returning the oiler name to the McNairs and Houston. I am so greatful that Mr. McNair was a leader and fought for Houston and fought for us to have a new football team. And, things like the superbowl that make Houston a better place to live with more financial opportunities. And of course all the people he helped though the years and the Millions he just gave away to make Houston a better place.

I hope we beat the Titans 50-0 Monday. Any idea of dress for the game?

Tilman Fertitta‏Verified account@TilmanJFertitta 12h12 hours ago

The Fertitta family extends our heartfelt condolences to the McNair family. Houston has lost a legend. I am proud to be one of Bob’s founding partners in the Texans. I will miss his leadership & 20yr friendship. Bob’s impact on Houston will truly be long lasting.

DsvndrSV4AEJ3-r.jpg

Does this mean Cal is the one responsible for retiring Rick Smith?

If so, I feel better already.

I know it's all "If's, and's, or but's" BUT...... If that is the case AND if the general belief that Rick and Cal were close (possibly too close for him to be objective about Rick's job performance) is also true then the idea that Cal might have been responsible for or at the very least in agreement with moving on from Rick to try and find something better is indeed a potentially good sign. It would seem to indicate an ability to learn (albeit slowly).

Reactions: JB
Cal McNair groomed to run Texans

John McClain , Houston Chronicle Nov. 23, 2018 Updated: Nov. 23, 2018 10:32 p.m.

Do not expect Bob McNair's death to cause any philosophical changes in the way the Texans are run.

For the last few years, McNair had been grooming Cal, one of his two sons, to take over the Texans.

Janice McNair, Bob's wife, will be the owner, with Cal McNair, 58, handling the day-to-day operations.

Cal, 58, was his father's right-hand man since the early 2000s. He's been involved in every major decision the franchise has made, most recently the hiring of general manager Brian Gaine and extending the contract of coach Bill O'Brien.

Since his father was diagnosed with two forms of skin cancer in 2013 and began treatment to fight the disease, Cal McNair took on a more active role. He's been a familiar figure at practice, games, around the office and at NFL meetings.

While Bob McNair continued to battle skin cancer, Cal was promoted to Texans' chairman from vice chairman, a title he had since 2008. His father became senior chairman as well as founder and CEO.

Cal and his dad were extremely close. The apple didn't fall far from the tree. Bob's strengths — intelligence, patience, graciousness and competitiveness — are his son's strengths, too.

Like his father, Cal attends practice and meets with O'Brien and Gaine on the field afterward. Like his father, he'll be low-key and remain in the background while making sure the organization, including the administrative side led by president Jamey Rootes, has the resources to be one of the league's most successful operations.

Cal McNair grew up in Houston, played football at Cy-Fair High School and continued his playing career at the University of Texas. He earned a master's degree from Rice.

Just because he played football doesn't mean Cal will interfere in football decisions. He's shrewd enough to leave those decisions to the football people, but, like his father, he wants to be well-informed about what's going on with the team.

Also like his dad, Cal will sign off on key decisions. He'll pay his people well and make sure to let them run their departments. And if they don't and he has to make tough decisions, he will.

Cal has six children. He and his wife, Hannah, are heavily involved in the Houston community. They are philanthropists for a lot of charitable causes, including in education and medicine. They host business and political leaders in the Founders Suite on game days.

Before games, Cal McNair can be found on the sideline, greeting players, coaches, dignitaries and guests. After games, he can be found outside the tunnel that leads to the team's dressing room, congratulating or consoling his players.

Only time will tell if there will be any noticeable changes in the way the Texans operate under Cal McNair, but those who know him best say it'll be a smooth transition.

A truly moving piece.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

McClain: Bob McNair a true southern gentleman

John McClain , Houston Chronicle Nov. 23, 2018 Updated: Nov. 23, 2018 10:51 p.m.

I've never known anyone I respected more than Bob McNair.

From the time I met him in the summer of 1997 until the last time I spoke with him earlier this season, McNair always wanted what was best for Houston.

"I'm a homer for Houston," I heard him say so many times over the last 21 years.

Without Bob and Janice McNair, there would be no Texans.

McNair, 81, lost his five-year battle with skin cancer Friday night, and Houston lost one of its biggest benefactors.

McNair loved his adopted city so much that when Oilers owner Bud Adams moved his franchise to Tennessee in June 1997, McNair spent two years trying to convince the owners to give Houston an expansion team. No one else stepped up to find a replacement for the Oilers. He put his time, effort and money into bringing the NFL back to our city.

McNair was a devoted husband and father who was deeply religious. He was an unwavering Republican who donated millions to the GOP through the decades. When it came to public office, he was no fan of Democrats.

McNair was honest. I never caught him in a lie. I never heard him curse. He was a true Southern gentleman. He had a terrific sense of humor, too.

McNair was always optimistic. He tried to see the good in people and situations. He was a positive thinker who gave a lot of thought to important decisions. He was generous, always looking to do something for others. He treated people the way he wanted to be treated.

McNair was so respected around the NFL by those who knew him. Other owners sought his counsel on so many league and team issues, as did commissioners Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell.

Not only did McNair bring back the NFL to Houston, he was the catalyst behind getting Super Bowl XXXVIII in 2004 and Super Bowl LI in 2017 for Houston.

I'll never forget after the city was awarded Super Bowl LI at a league meeting in Boston how owners lined up to say they voted for Houston because of McNair.

For a story I did on him before the last Super Bowl at NRG Stadium, I calculated that Bob and Janice McNair had given away more than $300 million to philanthropic causes. That number has risen to more than $500 million in recent years.

"What's the use in having money if you can't help those who need it the most," he said.

The first time I did an interview with McNair I was 30 minutes late getting to his River Oaks home. When I finally got there, I explained my late arrival. I went to the wrong house and was allowed by a housekeeper to wander around the living room of the McNairs' next-door neighbor, former Rockets owner Charlie Thomas. When I realized my mistake, I high-tailed it out of Thomas' house, jumped in my car and went next door to find the McNairs waiting patiently.

"Don't worry, we won't tell Charlie," McNair said, laughing.

Before he was awarded the expansion franchise in October 1999, McNair spent a lot of time attending NFL meetings. He used to stroll into the media room, take a seat and talk to reporters. They couldn't believe how unassuming he was and how excited he was to engage in conversations where other owners wouldn't dare to be seen.

I attended a news conference McNair had in his office downtown in Pennzoil Place. Before it began, McNair came through a side door and went around the room, shaking hands and introducing himself to reporters, cameramen and photographers. Later, I asked him why he did that.

"Is there something wrong with it?" he said.

I told him there wasn't anything wrong with it, that I'd never seen someone in his position do that.

After McNair got the Texans franchise, I told him he would no longer be afforded the privacy he enjoyed as a businessman. I found out several times he had donated money to specific causes, like after 9/11. He asked that I not write about it because it looked like he had told me and was blowing his horn. I apologized and reminded him that he was an owner, and things were different.

THE REST OF THE STORY

Texans owner Bob McNair, who brought NFL back to Houston, dies at 81

David Barron , Houston Chronicle Nov. 23, 2018 Updated: Nov. 24, 2018 12:41 a.m.

Houston Texans founder Robert Cary McNair, the billionaire energy executive who gave his adopted hometown a new NFL team for a new century, died Friday as the Texans prepared for a prime-time game Monday in the gleaming stadium his dollars and determination helped become reality.

The Texans announced McNair’s death in a statement late Friday afternoon, saying that he “passed away peacefully in Houston with his loving wife, Janice, and his family by his side.”

McNair, 81, had dealt with skin cancer for years and had been undergoing more intensive treatment for that illness and other forms of the disease since 2013. Even while undergoing treatment, he remained a visible part of the team’s daily life until his health worsened this year.

Janice McNair will assume the ownership role of the Texans, and the couple’s son, D. Cal McNair, who holds the titles of chairman and chief operating officer, will be in charge of daily operations.

His death was mourned by players, coaches, executives and public figures who praised his personal virtues, business acumen and philanthropic contributions that rivaled in scope the hundreds of millions he spent on his football team, while offering gratitude for his role in returning pro football to Houston.

“Bob McNair wasn’t just the brightest Point of Light in Houston; he was one of the kindest and most generous people anywhere,” former President George H.W. Bush said in a statement. “… He was simply The Best.”

“Rest In Peace Mr. McNair,” tweeted J.J. Watt, the Texans’ three-time NFL defensive player of the year. “Thank you for giving myself and so many others an opportunity here in Houston.”

Retired wide receiver Andre Johnson, who along with Watt stands front and center as the team’s greatest players in its 17-year history, wrote, “Can’t thank you enough for giving a kid from Miami a chance to live out his dream of playing in the NFL.”

Mayor Sylvester Turner said McNair’s legacy “will include the thrills the Houston Texans give us every season,” and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said McNair “left a lasting mark on his city and our league. … (He) cared deeply about the league and was generous with his time and willingness to share his insights as an exceptional businessman.”

McNair, who had lived in Houston since 1960, spent $700 million in 1998 to purchase the 32nd and, thus far, the last new franchise awarded by the NFL, filling a hole in Houston’s civic psyche left when K.S. “Bud” Adams moved the Oilers to Nashville after the 1996 season.

His record-setting investment in the team, coupled with the publicly funded construction of NRG Stadium, which has hosted two Super Bowls since the Texans’ inaugural season of 2002, heralded a new era of professional football in Houston.

But while he owned the league’s youngest franchise, McNair became one of the league’s more influential owners, serving as chairman of the finance committee and sometimes becoming a focal point for discussion in the swirling social and political climate that has surrounded the game in recent years.

His death came with his team riding a seven-game win streak entering a Monday night nationally televised game against, by a twist of fate, the Tennessee Titans, the team that once called Houston its home.

THE REST OF THE STORY

Just an FYI...........McNair paid $700 million for the Texans........... way way more than for any franchise of the day. He wanted to make sure that Houston received the franchise...............his "competitor" LA's top bid was only $450 million.............McNair wanted to make sure that there were no back door shenanigans that would overcome and derail his bid. As much as has been made of Jerry Jones support for a Houston team, he was initially vehemently opposed to another NFL team in Texas..................it wasn't until McNair's extreme bid, where Jones saw the NFL coffers (and especially his own $$$$$$) potentially being filled and divided among the owners , that he threw his full support to McNair and the creation of the Texans.

Last edited:
So you both think Cal is 100 percent behind O'Brien? Running business or not Cal could be respectful to his still strong influencing father who was known to be overly loyal to his employees.

Some fans believe he was overly loyal. That may not be the case. There were probably some solid reasons he made the decisions he made that we aren't privy to.

Cal knows why his dad made the decisions he did & I would bet he was on board with extending BO'b...

Cal McNair groomed to run Texans

John McClain , Houston Chronicle Nov. 23, 2018 Updated: Nov. 23, 2018 10:32 p.m.

Do not expect Bob McNair's death to cause any philosophical changes in the way the Texans are run.

For the last few years, McNair had been grooming Cal, one of his two sons, to take over the Texans.

Janice McNair, Bob's wife, will be the owner, with Cal McNair, 58, handling the day-to-day operations.

Cal, 58, was his father's right-hand man since the early 2000s. He's been involved in every major decision the franchise has made, most recently the hiring of general manager Brian Gaine and extending the contract of coach Bill O'Brien.

Since his father was diagnosed with two forms of skin cancer in 2013 and began treatment to fight the disease, Cal McNair took on a more active role. He's been a familiar figure at practice, games, around the office and at NFL meetings.

While Bob McNair continued to battle skin cancer, Cal was promoted to Texans' chairman from vice chairman, a title he had since 2008. His father became senior chairman as well as founder and CEO.

Cal and his dad were extremely close. The apple didn't fall far from the tree. Bob's strengths — intelligence, patience, graciousness and competitiveness — are his son's strengths, too.

Like his father, Cal attends practice and meets with O'Brien and Gaine on the field afterward. Like his father, he'll be low-key and remain in the background while making sure the organization, including the administrative side led by president Jamey Rootes, has the resources to be one of the league's most successful operations.

Cal McNair grew up in Houston, played football at Cy-Fair High School and continued his playing career at the University of Texas. He earned a master's degree from Rice.

Just because he played football doesn't mean Cal will interfere in football decisions. He's shrewd enough to leave those decisions to the football people, but, like his father, he wants to be well-informed about what's going on with the team.

Also like his dad, Cal will sign off on key decisions. He'll pay his people well and make sure to let them run their departments. And if they don't and he has to make tough decisions, he will.

Cal has six children. He and his wife, Hannah, are heavily involved in the Houston community. They are philanthropists for a lot of charitable causes, including in education and medicine. They host business and political leaders in the Founders Suite on game days.

Before games, Cal McNair can be found on the sideline, greeting players, coaches, dignitaries and guests. After games, he can be found outside the tunnel that leads to the team's dressing room, congratulating or consoling his players.

Only time will tell if there will be any noticeable changes in the way the Texans operate under Cal McNair, but those who know him best say it'll be a smooth transition.

I didn’t know cal played at UT and grew up in Houston.

Based on what I’ve heard so far I like that he’ll be taking over.

So you both think Cal is 100 percent behind O'Brien? Running business or not Cal could be respectful to his still strong influencing father who was known to be overly loyal to his employees.
Do you have employees - and / or a boss? Be sure and let them know that you have zero loyalty to them, and expect zero loyalty back.

Back