Blake Mock 1.0

Discussion in 'Mock Draft Talk' started by Blake, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Blake

Blake MMQB

1st Round:
    Kevin White, WR, West Virginia About Kevin White
    Texans will need to target a WR in the top 2 rounds. Depending on how the draft falls they may opt to wait until their 2nd pick to pair with Hopkins. White would be a solid choice @ 16 with his blend of speed, size and power.

[​IMG]

2nd Round:
    Marcus Peters, CB, Washington About Marcus Peters
    Starter from day 1. Character concerns from issues with authority. Described as confident and tough.

[​IMG]

3rd Round:
    Jake Ryan, LB, Michigan About Jake Ryan
    My obligatory Michigan pick. I like Ryan for his dedication, attitude and motor. He also has good instincts which I value a lot.

[​IMG]

4th Round:
    Josh Robinson, RB, Mississippi State
    Reminds me a lot of MJD with his frame. I enjoyed watching him tear up A&M. A powerful bowling ball smashing into whatever was in the way. Not gonna blow you away with speed, but also has pass-catching skills.

[​IMG]

5th Round:
    Nick Boyle, TE, Delaware About Nick Boyle
    A big strong blocking TE that is versatile and can make some catches. I was not happy with our crop of TE's. If I am going to get **** for receiving yardage, I might as well get someone in there that can help me pound the rock.

[​IMG]

6th Round:
    Ray Drew, DE/DT, Georgia
    Big untapped potential.

7th Round:
    Jaxon Shipley, WR, Texas
    Quick, white, receiver. Obviously the next Julian Edelman.

[​IMG]

2. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

I don't see how anyone could complain about that haul.

3. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Not described as smart or "a good teammate". Attributes the Texans value.

On the flipside, exactly the type of player the Texans value.

4. banned1976

banned1976 American

I want to respond, I just have to recover from someone actually using a Flo from Progressive quote as their signature. Next time I see her lurking around in shadows and rooting around in my garbage I'm going to sprinkle Flo with some buckshot.

5. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

dig a little deeper. There are conflicting reports about him. He has some pretty reliable people in his corner. He is the best CB in this draft and we would be fools to pass on him in the second round if he was still there.

6. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Enlighten me. Guys who are kicked off teams have red flags. And "best CB in this draft" is debatable. There's 5 or 6 that are close enough you don't have to take the one with warts.

Ask yourself, "Is this the type of player the Texans draft?" I think you know the answer.

7. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Just google it to be enlightened. Obviously its a red flag. There are two not 5 or six that are close and neither will be available in the second round. IMO he is head and shoulders better than either of those two.

If the rumors turn out false and If he interviews well I could see us drafting him.

8. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

not Texan worthy :toropalm:

Let him get swooped up by the Bengals.

9. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

What makes you say that?

10. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

About the scout who says he witnessed Peters choking a coach? Or the coaches who kicked him off the team swearing that never happened?

Every year we have a group of fans that are convinced that this is the draft the Texans will take a problem child. And the problem child suddenly becomes a much better prospect because he is a problem child. It never happens. But hey, dream on.

11. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

You mean the "anonymous scout"? Not one single other person has ever came forward and said they seen the "reported" incident. Don't that strike you as curious?

Although Peters' reported insubordination will lead to concerns about his ability to get along with coaches, scouts and executives at the NFL level, I've had several scouts tell me that his character and personality wouldn't be an issue at other major programs. An NFC scout told me that coaches comfortable dealing with kids who have a bit of an edge wouldn't have a problem getting the best out of Peters or helping him assimilate into a structured program. Washington head coach Chris Petersen refused to deal with a player who didn't buy into all of the tenets of his new plan and approach at Washington. Thus, the character questions surrounding Peters appear to be "football character" issues, not legal matters that will torpedo his draft stock in meeting rooms around the league.

Now I'm not saying we should draft him despite him getting kicked off the team. I'm just saying it his talent warrants further investigation. If he interviews and comes off a jerk then by all means pass. But from all the reports I have read from people that actually know him, he is not the head case that has been reported. You don't just eliminate a guy because of a rumor. Especially a rumor that has disputed by many reliable people.

12. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

So, it was the coach's fault he got kicked off the team? Any way you spin it, not a good look. But if OB thinks he's ok then I hope we draft him 2nd or later

13. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Didn't the coaches who kicked Peters from the team "know him "? I see two possibilities. One, Peters didn't choke the coach, but was so disruptive and insubordinate he was dimissed. Two, he choked the coach. Either way, that sounds like a head case.

14. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

O'Brian is all about team, working together & being accountable to each other. Reaching breaking point where a top tier talent has to be dismissed, whatever the reason, is letting down not just himself & his coaches but teammates as well. Welcome to the real world Mr. Peters good luck with that toolbox.

15. Blake

Blake MMQB

Didnt realize that Peters was such a controversial player.

This is pretty common sense, but I don't get to interview Peters at the combine, so depending on how he does with his interviews I could see a scenario where the Texans pull the trigger if they think he can help them win now. Sometimes getting kicked off of a team and dropping out of the first round will cause a player to reassess and reflect on himself.

Secondly, with a new director of player personnel and director of college scouting, this could be the year where we see a slight change in draft philosophy.

To me, Jake Ryan will be adding 15 pounds and playing ILB for the Texans.

Finally, I also considered taking P.J. Williams in the first and going WR in the 2nd, but I felt that all the top tier WR's would be gone by then (Cooper/Parker/White/Strong/Coates). I think WR needs to be urgently addressed due to AJ's status and because Mallet definitely needs more weapons in 2015.

16. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

1. White, my favorite WR in this draft, love the pick.
    2. Peters, lots of talent but not a Texans worthy player.
    3. Ryan, seems a little early but definitely a Texans type of player, love this pick.
    I'm honestly not very familiar with the rest of these prospects, but I like the positions with the exception of the fact you've got no O-line picks. I think O-line is one of our biggest needs.

17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Agreed, this is why the Texans are who they are when it comes to on the field product. While teams like the Pats, Seahawks, 49ers, Cards, etc.... seem to always be on top. They're willing to take chances on players like this. It limits the Texans draft pool and the % of mistakes they have between the margins.

This is a very solid draft and Smith would be lucky to draft this good. But you're right Peters will never be a Texans.

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

The Texans have taken chances on Cushing (steroids), Okoye (pot), TJ (fighting) all in the 1st round.

The Texans demanding squeaky clean players is a fan myth but there is a cut-off on acceptable for very good reasons.

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

What cut off?

Whatever they are doing doesn't seem to be working.

20. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

And things are working out great for your examples?

49ers missed the playoffs and cratered their team. And yeah buddy that Aldon Smith sure is elevating the team from the sidelines. That and they just summarily cut a player for behavior.
    Cardinals were one in done to the 7-8 Panthers in their first playoff appearance in 5 years.
    Did the Pats make it on the back of Hernandez?

Who are you talking about on Seattle? - Lynch. We have no idea whether the Texans would have taken a chance on him if they needed him, but they had Foster coming off leading the league in rushing.

The team known for taking chances isn't any of those, it's the Bengals who you mock as worthless since we beat them.

Just typical beotching to beotch.