Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Blake Bortles

So Let me see if I have this correct. Blake Bortles is a dead QB walking. He has one foot in the grave and is two heart beats from being pronounced DOA. Bortles walks in to NRG Stadium in Houston Texas where he has absolutely no chance whatsoever, in what is also suppose to be the last nail in his coffin. His very first pass to his #1 WR, Allen Robinson and Robinson goes down with a torn ACL (out for the season). Then Bortles goes on to deliver the even more unthinkable, a JAGUARS WIN! Is this about right?

I can't even imagine what kind of effect that would have had on Texans QBs if what happened to Robinson had happened to Nuk.

If this is any consolation, I'm out in Survival Football. I picked the Texans because I thought this was one of their most winnable games on their schedule this season.
It was more like the Jags brain trust said, "Blake you just hand the ball off to young Leonard and Chris. We'll let you throw a couple of passes to keep 'em honest, but don't try to be a hero or we'll yank your azz. Remember, Coughlin is still looking for your replacement."
:D

Nope, I'm not ready to crown him, just doing some bottom fishing and having some fun with some real cheap bait. Do not despair, from the many comments in this thread there is plenty of embarrassment to go around. I'm not sure there is enough Come Back to Bite Me in Butt ointment to address all the those bitten butts though.

BS. You itch to get an 'I told you so' even if it's your own wet fart that gets attention for being upgraded to a soiled diaper. Seeing how you needed to get pleasure for bumping this thread in spite of the mundane performance of the player you're supposed to be supporting (against 'your team'), I'm not sure who needs the ointment.

Imagine had we invest in our OL the way Jville did.

We never have. I'm starting to think we never will. I don't understand it either. Building a beastly OL is one of the most obvious things to do if you want to be successful as an offense. Granted if Su'a Filo had panned out and Martin hadn't been hurt things would look a little better right now. If Newton hadn't been lost it would even be better still but letting Brandon Brooks go for Jeff Allen is a head scratcher.

We never have. I'm starting to think we never will. I don't understand it either. Building a beastly OL is one of the most obvious things to do if you want to be successful as an offense. Granted if Su'a Filo had panned out and Martin hadn't been hurt things would look a little better right now. If Newton hadn't been lost it would even be better still but letting Brandon Brooks go for Jeff Allen is a head scratcher.

I was being facetious. The Jags drafted Cam Robinson at the top of the 2nd round, much like we drafted XSF. But the rest of their OL is an UDFA at LG & RT and two third round picks at Center & RG.

Player selection may be an issue, but it's also highly possible they're getting better coaching.

I was being facetious. The Jags drafted Cam Robinson at the top of the 2nd round, much like we drafted XSF. But the rest of their OL is an UDFA at LG & RT and two third round picks at Center & RG.

Player selection may be an issue, but it's also highly possible they're getting better coaching.

I understand. I'm just saying that along with our penchant for collecting cheap UDFA's and trying to coach them up we've had real bad luck lately with the players we have taken a shot on.

and of course Brown holding out just makes it all worse.

Anyone watching this playoff game? Man, only thing holding this jaguar team back is the qb. Bortles has been as bad as can be!

Holy Toledo! The Bills and Jaguars are tied 3-3 at halftime. Both quarterbacks make me want to scream!!!!!! I bet Deshaun Watson, right now, still nowhere close to 100 % healthy (more like 55 %) can likely step on that field and perform better than both those QBs.

Anyone watching this playoff game? Man, only thing holding this jaguar team back is the qb. Bortles has been as bad as can be!
Tom Coughlin will probably try to trade for Eli Manning this off-season, but it won't do them any good. The Texans will reclaim the AFC South division title and dominate for the next three or four years with Deshaun Watson winning some league MVP awards!

I'm not impressed by the Titans and Jaguars, although I want them both to get a beat down by the Patriots and Steelers in the divisional round. I'm glad the Titans advanced over the Chiefs. I just feel with Deshaun Watson we can beat the Jaguars and Titans.

Tom Coughlin will probably try to trade for Eli Manning this off-season, but it won't do them any good. The Texans will reclain the AFC South division title and dominate for the next three or four years with Deshaun Watson winning some league MVP awards!
Only if Watson stays healthy..

Reactions: JB
Only if Watson stays healthy..
So far so good. He's made great progress so far. Way ahead of schedule and O'Brien expects him to participate in mini camp. Very similar to his freshman year at Clemson when he tore the ACL on his other leg. He came back way ahead of schedule after that injury and that leg had only gotten stronger than before. Because of his young age I expect the same thing to happen this time around.

Watson and Watt are both working out together right now.
They've been going hard in the gym this past week.

I feel bad for the Bills if they lose this game. Waited all those years to make the playoffs again just to be one and done? On the other hand it's good to see two AFC South teams advance to the divisional round. Represent our division! We were playing in the divisional round just last year.

The Bills need a big playmaker at wide receiver. Didn't they trade Sammy Watkins last off-season? Poor Tyrod Taylor just got sacked right now and he was looking for somebody to throw to. Basically a coverage sack and he tried to scramble away (had all day) but nobody was open.

I feel bad for all of us having to watch this.
You can't complain with playoff football. It's better than most things on TV right now. Some people were calling the Jaguars a legit threat to the Steelers or Patriots a few weeks ago.

But I doubt Blake Bortles is going to beat an elite team on the road in the playoffs. The Jaguars did spank the Steelers at Pittsburgh, 30-9, in the regular season. If the Jaguars travel to Pittsburgh for the divisional round next weekend it's going to be completely different.

The guy is absolute trash....Steelers gonna whoop that ass next weekend...

We shall see, the Jags defense matches up well with the Steelers.

The Jags are really good. If I was in their shoes I would try to trade for Eli or Alex Smith this offseason. Even McCarron would be better.

We shall see, the Jags defense matches up well with the Steelers.

The Jags are really good. If I was in their shoes I would try to trade for Eli or Alex Smith this offseason. Even McCarron would be better.

I agree the two defenses can go toe to toe, but Big Ben, Bell, and the Steeler WRs > anything on the Jags offense.

I agree the two defenses can go toe to toe, but Big Ben, Bell, and the Steeler WRs > anything on the Jags offense.

Agreed,

But the Jags did beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh this yr, so they wont be intimidated. The Jags can win that game if Bortles doesn't screw the pooch.

Agreed,

But the Jags did beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh this yr, so they wont be intimidated. The Jags can win that game if Bortles doesn't screw the pooch.

You're right, I forgot about that. Its not like Bortles turned it over today, but he couldn't even hit open receivers on screens, he looked so bad out there today. Imo playoff experience, an extra week off, and home field advantage all spell a Steeler's win next weekend.

You're right, I forgot about that. Its not like Bortles turned it over today, but he couldn't even hit open receivers on screens, he looked so bad out there today. Imo playoff experience, an extra week off, and home field advantage all spell a Steeler's win next weekend.
Jags won at Steelers this year big
Steelers need to show up

Big Ben threw 5 ints in that game. Jags defense dominated. Hopefully Big Ben does better because the Steelers are the only team that can beat the Pats from the AFC.

Just picture this headline.

Bortles out duels Brees to give the Jags their 1st Lombardi.

Just makes me laugh my ** off.

Yep. And it's actually better that the Jaguars spanked them 30-9 at Pittsburgh during the regular season. Mike Tomlin will have them even more prepared and focused. It will be like they're preparing to face Tom Brady but in reality it's only Blake Bortles.

The Steelers should roll with a decent 10-point win, 23-13. IMO, it will be a hard-fought defensive battle with the Steelers making a few more big plays in the second half to pull away.

In the Pit game, Bortles only attempted 14 passes. Even with such a low number of attempts, he still found a way to throw a pick.

This game was week 5 when everyone was still trying to find out what kind of team the Jags actually are.

Play conservative on offense, stop the run, and Pitt should win the game easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stack the box to stop the run game and let Bortles air it out. No secret on stopping the Jags offense. What can the Steelers do against their defense is the question.

The Jags could be dangerous in 2018 if they jettison Bortles and land Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, or Eli Manning. They are just a game manager QB away from really challenging the AFC elite with that defense and running game.

The X factor is Tom Coughlin. Dude is not going to tolerate Bortles for too long.

The Jags could be dangerous in 2018 if they jettison Bortles and land Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, or Eli Manning. They are just a game manager QB away from really challenging the AFC elite with that defense and running game.

The X factor is Tom Coughlin. Dude is not going to tolerate Bortles for too long.
I fully expect Calais Campbell, who turns 32 at the start of 2018, to come crashing back down to earth sooner or later. 10 years in the league and is playing better than ever (career year this season) and made the first team All Pro for the first time.

He's always been a good player throughout his career (a pro bowler and second team All Pro since 2014) but he's a total game-changing beast right now. I keep waiting to hear that the NFL has busted him for performance-enhancing drugs because what he's doing right now is unreal. Of course, if you take away his two games against the Houston Texans this season his sack totals aren't as impressive. But regardless, Calais Campbell won't be this great for much longer. Father time is undefeated.

I think the Texans with some luck staying healthy could very easily be back in the mix in that tough AFC South next year. The Jaguars and Titans are impressive this year but the Texans are not far away if they can merely stay healthy. With Deshaun Watson at quarterback we spanked the Titans, 57-14. And he led us to a Touchdown drive in his first NFL series against the Jaguars the only time he played them. Unfortunately Tom Savage started that game and it was already lost before Watson came into the game. To be fair, that was a rookie playing in his first NFL game.

If the Jags wanted to keep Bortles, this type of guarantee in the contract could have been anticipated. Their option was to pay $19 million for ONE year, since Bortles was never going to be cleared from his wrist surgery by March 14............and with all the FA QBs hitting the market this year Bortles with his overall track record would have had to worry about finding a team willing to pick him up except as a backup........for even less guaranteed money.

The Jags are reported as looking at the possibility of obtaining a FA QB. There may be a hooker in all this as far as releasing Bortles if they so choose.

Per PFT:

Bortles is under contract for 2018 at a fifth-year option amount of $19 million. The payment becomes fully guaranteed on the first day of the league year. The sole caveat comes from wrist surgery Bortles had after the team’s playoff run ended. If he can’t pass a physical before March 14, he can’t be released before his salary (guaranteed for injury only for now) becomes fully guaranteed.

Assuming Blake playes like he usually does (not to well) this will help us take the division for a few more years. If he starts playing better as he did at times last season.......makes it tough. Their defense is as good and maybe a tad better than ours is (depends on how well JJ and company come back.). Their run game is better but our QB and receivers are better. It will not be easy.

Reactions: JB
Back