Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Bill O' Brien v. Rick Smith

After the Alabama game and his other top competition games, I guess I was one of the few who said, no thanks. I'm one of the few who do not prescribe to fat is where it's at. I'm also not a member of the "Fans of Girth Club". I subscribe to judging those by their actual play on the field and not by their number of pounds on a scale.
I'm a fan of COUNTRY STRONG 3/4 Nose Tackles like Curly Culp. Give me someone who can control the middle even with a double team and push the LOS toward the QB and leave the speed athletes to the DE positions. Give me sure tacklers on the ILB positions and cover speed/blitz happy OLBs who will also set the edge.

~I'm not asking for much.~

I'm a fan of COUNTRY STRONG 3/4 Nose Tackles like Curly Culp. Give me someone who can control the middle even with a double team and push the LOS toward the QB and leave the speed athletes to the DE positions. Give me sure tacklers on the ILB positions and cover speed/blitz happy OLBs who will also set the edge.

~I'm not asking for much.~
I am too. Give me someone who works out all day long over those who spend 2 hours in a gym 4 days a week, all day long.

I am too. Give me someone who works out all day long over those who spend 2 hours in a gym 4 days a week, all day long.
Nope. Country Strong is the opposite. Never a threat to overtax your body, but strong enough with those 4 or 5 workouts to do the job. I believe too much time at the gym is counterproductive. You need at least as much recovery time as you give workout time unless you CHEAT with supplements with questionable long term health risks.

Nope. Country Strong is the opposite. Never a threat to overtax your body, but strong enough with those 4 or 5 workouts to do the job. I believe too much time at the gym is counterproductive. You need at least as much recovery time as you give workout time unless you CHEAT with supplements with questionable long term health risks.
No surprise we disagree. Country/Farm strong is digging post holes, stringing barbed wire, hauling hay, cutting stacking wood, physical taxing work all day long. JJ Watt probably disagrees with you also as his workouts are legendary and can be 4 to 5 hours long. No digging 3 post holes and then saying I'm quitting because I need my recovery time.

When I was in college in the summer we stacked 50lb bales of hay all day long, every day. When we weren't hauling hay we were building chicken houses. At the end of the summer I was strongest I have ever been.

Last edited:
No surprise we disagree. Country/Farm strong is digging post holes, stringing barbed wire, hauling hay, cutting stacking wood, physical taxing work all day long. JJ Watt probably disagrees with you also as his workouts are legendary and can be 4 to 5 hours long. No digging 3 post holes and then saying I'm quitting because I need my recovery time.

When I was in college in the summer we stacked 50lb bales of hay all day long, every day. When we weren't hauling hay we were building chicken houses. At the end of the summer I was strongest I have ever been.
I think we are closer than you think. Continuous work below the threshold level which tears down muscle which you describe isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the MAX workouts which break down muscle as part of a program to gain strength. If I'm not mistaken, that threshold would be about 80% of MAX. Thus the bales of Hay and, slopping hogs and digging postholes fall below the threshold where reps need to be limited to allow for recovery time.

Yes, I agree with that. Smith does set the draft board but O'Brien picks the players. And when they bring in free agents on Tuesday for tryouts, Smith decides on the 4 or 5 players to bring in and O'Brien decides which of those players he wants to sign. Smith contribution comes from the recommendations from Pro and College personnel departments, who Smith hired after firing most of Casserly's staff not long after Casserly left.

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-Smith-ready-to-put-stamp-on-team-1822368.php

This is where we need to start the house cleaning.

So who gets the blame for Louis Nix? The draft board that said give up 2 draft picks to move up to draft him? OR the decision to draft Nix? OR does this go down as one of those Organizational Collaborations?

It seems to me that when there is enough crap to go around, then everyone with crap on them should be fired.

We are being presented a "united front" about how this FO operates. So it stands to reason that a "united front" representing "Organizational Collaborations" has a fundamental flaw when you look at continuous failure year after year in analyzing and acquiring talent. Time to clean house.

So in addition to being spineless he also lacks confidence. At one time, you had me convinced O'Brien was ready to move on to bigger & better things.

I guess his contract doesn't really state he has final say of the 53. Because if it does, he'd still get his millions if he was fired for doing what his contract says he can do.

Do you really think Jimmy Raye/Watson etc... were BOB's choices? Ricky is running this franchises on the field product. Dont worry about this BOB will be gone after this season.

Why do you think the Texans org didn't sign a single FA this yr when 31 other teams did? Do you think that was BOB's who said I think it would be a great idea to not add talent to the roster? This doesn't even mention the fact that the Texans dont have a pick until the 3rd rd in next yrs draft.

Tell you what lets take this to the AE Rick Smith thread.

I don't think O'Brien should have a say in who should be the director of player personnel. Just like Rick Smith should have no say on O'Briens coaching staff.

I wouldn't be surprised if O'Brien said he wasn't interested in any of the big named free agents this year. Just like I'm sure O'Brien &/or his coaching staff wanted & got Chris Polk, Odey Aboushi, Breno Giacomini, & Brian Hoyer.

But, I saw a lot of new faces Wednesday night, i.e. talent added to the roster.
Dres Anderson,
RaShaun Allen,
Bruce Ellington,
Laurence Gibson,
Marcus Gilchrist,
Marcus Leak,
Denzel Rice,
Marcus Roberson,
Devin Street,
Josh Walker,

None of thas a guys were drafted by the Texans. None of them are rookies. So I'm going to need you to extrapolate what you mean by, "didn't sign a single free agent."

Last edited:
None of thas a guys were drafted by the Texans. None of them are rookies. So I'm going to need you to extrapolate what you mean by, "didn't sign a single free agent."
Those are street free agents. Not unresolved free agents that will count against the compensation draft picks.

I don't think O'Brien should have a say in who should be the director of player personnel. Just like Rick Smith should have no say on O'Briens coaching staff.

I wouldn't be surprised if O'Brien said he wasn't interested in any of the big named free agents this year. Just like I'm sure O'Brien &/or his coaching staff wanted & got Chris Polk, Odey Aboushi, Breno Giacomini, & Brian Hoyer.

But, I saw a lot of new faces Wednesday night, i.e. talent added to the roster.
Dres Anderson,
RaShaun Allen,
Bruce Ellington,
Laurence Gibson,
Marcus Gilchrist,
Marcus Leak,
Denzel Rice,
Marcus Roberson,
Devin Street,
Josh Walker,

Look at what the other 31 teams in the NFL did and what Ricky did this offseason. Compare and contrast and tell me Ricky did everything he possibly could to put the best product on the field as possible.

Also tell me what Ricky did with the cap $$$$ that he saved on the Os trade? I know he hasn't reupped Nuk/Clowney or renegotiated a new deal with DB. This is why I hope DB squeezes every $$$$ he can out of McNair this offseason.

I would agree with you on Ricky getting to pick his own pro player guy if 1. He hadn't been thru 2 HC's with middling draft/pro player results. 2. He hired Gaine and Raye is a certain downgrade from Gaine. IMHO

I mean remember when we used to make fun of the Colts FA/Drafts and how even with Luck they would find a away to screw it up. Grigson/Raye were over those depts and now we have Smith/Raye over those depts for the Texans. What could ever go wrong?

Ricky and Billy screwed up our cap situation when they traded so many picks and had to overpay for free agents.

Now we are picking up every broken, washed up player.

And Bobby has no clue.

Look at what the other 31 teams in the NFL did and what Ricky did this offseason. Compare and contrast and tell me Ricky did everything he possibly could to put the best product on the field as possible.

My argument is that you said we didn't add talent to the team. I am not arguing that Rick did what the other 31 teams did. Nor am I saying Rick did "everything possible."

Also tell me what Ricky did with the cap $$$$ that he saved on the Os trade? I know he hasn't reupped Nuk/Clowney or renegotiated a new deal with DB. This is why I hope DB squeezes every $$$$ he can out of McNair this offseason.

I'm not arguing any of these

I would agree with you on Ricky getting to pick his own pro player guy if 1. He hadn't been thru 2 HC's with middling draft/pro player results. 2. He hired Gaine and Raye is a certain downgrade from Gaine. IMHO

I mean remember when we used to make fun of the Colts FA/Drafts and how even with Luck they would find a away to screw it up. Grigson/Raye were over those depts and now we have Smith/Raye over those depts for the Texans. What could ever go wrong?

I'm not saying Jimmy Rae III was a good move, only that O'Brien shouldn't have to ok it.

I thought it was interesting on OBrien's long interview they asked him in regards to the front office:

Mad radio: "You gotta be able to argue you, you gotta be able to fight. You gotta be able to disagree. If everyone is getting along too well, then it's probably not going so great." They mentioned Billick wanted some dysfunction in the front office too.

OBrien's response:
"We talk all the time (referring to Rick Smith), and we have absolutely no problem. We are at ease... We go to Bob if we have a disagreement. We've never had to do that."

Lol

Last edited:
I thought it was interesting on OBrien's long interview they asked him in regards to the front office:

Mad radio: "You gotta be able to argue you, you gotta be able to fight. You gotta be able to disagree. If everyone is getting along too well, then it's probably not going so great." They mentioned Billick wanted some dysfunction in the front office too.

OBrien's response:
"We talk all the time (referring to Rick Smith), and we have absolutely no problem. We are at ease... We go to Bob if we have a disagreement. We've never had to do that."

Lol

BOB will be gone after this season regardless of how this season turns out.

Much to the delight of some on this MB.

I'm not saying Jimmy Rae III was a good move, only that O'Brien shouldn't have to ok it.[/QUOTE]

Do you like the direction the on the field product is going?

That has been my guess too. The multiple reports of friction between them can't all be wrong. If we win 11 games or more it might be hard to let him walk without trying to sign him to an extension but I really don't see this team being that good, but I wish we could have a breakout year like that it would be fun.

He hired Gaine and Raye is a certain downgrade from Gaine. IMHO

Other than Rick Smith was involved what do you base this on? Wild stab, nothing.

Ricky and Billy screwed up our cap situation when they traded so many picks and had to overpay for free agents.

Now we are picking up every broken, washed up player.

And Bobby has no clue.

Oh please expound upon how the cap is screwed. This should be good.

Hey I can play cynical too. Unfortunately that means OB and his ever worsening offense stays.

Maybe this season we can get 32nd ... and it will be Smith's fault. Not OB. Smith made him go away from ZBS. Smith made him hump the leg of every yeoman QB. Smith made TEs invisible for 2 years. Smith called Miller right A gap 3 times running (well not really, more like crash and fall repeatedly). Smith made OB call hooks rather than slants so the WRs couldn't get YAC.

This season, just to please you, Smith is going to have the C hand the ball to the other team instead of Savage. Houston fans are dumb right? McNair and they don't care about winning. Just existence and butts in seats.

Wait, one of those butts is yours. I know, your wife's fault.

Well, we were in the bottom of available salary cap space coming into this off-season.

We "fixed" that by trading Brock along with a second round pick and largely avoiding the free agent market and not extending any of our impending free agents.

IMO we put ourselves in that position because of trading away too many picks for unproductive players (like Strong and Nix) and overpaying FAs (Brock, Miller).

In any case, we are now in top 5 in salary cap room for the next 3 years but that's misleading because these are the guys scheduled to be free agents, and they won't be cheap to replace (at least at their level of production. We could always find a guy who failed a physical).

2018 FAs:
DeAndre Hopkins
Jonathan Joseph
Mancz (restricted)
XSF
Fiedo
Mediocre guys in Savage, Clark and Giacomini (nonetheless they are starters at this point, Giacomini possibly if he beats out Lamm). Lamm will also be a restricted FA.
Blue as a mediocre backup

Lechler and Novak are also 2018 FAs and we are generally at the bottom in special teams production.

2019 FAs:
Clowney
Brown
McKinney
Kareem
Covington
Strong who IMO should be allowed to leave

2020 FAs:
Mercilus
Lamar Miller
Nick Martin
Cushing
Jeff Allen
Braxton

On top of that we don't have a first or second round pick next year, which is one of the worst things because that is potentially high production at low cost for several years.

Of course every team has constraints, but I think our general method has left us with little flexibility to get better. We are pretty much hoping we can just keep who we have. I'm afraid Hopkins will leave and Brown won't show up.

Patriots are screwed...

2018:
QB Garoppolo
RB Burkhead
RB Lewis
RB Bolden
WR Amendola
WR Slater
LT Solder
OT Fleming
OT Waddle
DE Ealy
LB Van Noy
CB Butler
S Ebner

2019:
RB Gillislee
WR Cooks
WR Hogan
OG Mason
DE Flowers
DT Branch
LB Harris
LB McClellin
CB Rowe
S Chung
S Richards
K Gostkowski
P Allen

2020:
QB Brady
QB Brissett
WR Edelman
TE Gronkowski
TE Allen
OG Thuney
DT Brown
LB Roberts
CB Jones
S McCourty

Patriots are screwed...

2018:
QB Garoppolo
RB Burkhead
RB Lewis
RB Bolden
WR Amendola
WR Slater
LT Solder
OT Fleming
OT Waddle
DE Ealy
LB Van Noy
CB Butler
S Ebner

2019:
RB Gillislee
WR Cooks
WR Hogan
OG Mason
DE Flowers
DT Branch
LB Harris
LB McClellin
CB Rowe
S Chung
S Richards
K Gostkowski
P Allen

2020:
QB Brady
QB Brissett
WR Edelman
TE Gronkowski
TE Allen
OG Thuney
DT Brown
LB Roberts
CB Jones
S McCourty

2018- 4 starters, one is an RB which they do by committee anyway, one might get cut (Ealy). So basically Solder and Butler, where I count 6-8 starters for us (Interestingly, they have 4 offensive linemen signed through 2020, 1 through 2021 and 10 through 2019. We have 5 signed through 2019 and are picking up discarded players).

2019- a lot more starters, but I count 5 for us also, including our best defensive player (Clowney) and OL (Brown). They have two of their best (Gilmore and McCourty) locked up through 2021 and 2020. We just had to let one of our best in Bouye leave. I like the strategy of locking up elite players and then surrounding them with draft and value players. We did that with Watt, not sure what happened with Hopkins, Bouye, Brown.

2020- Brady is on a team friendly deal and won't leave. 5 additional starters. We have 5 starters FAs as well.

Also, the Patriots are a lot better with fewer holes, yet they have a core locked up and we don't.

They also didn't have a major piece leave, have their best OL holding out, or have their best offensive skill player unhappy with his contract.

Last edited:
Other than Rick Smith was involved what do you base this on? Wild stab, nothing.

Hey I can play cynical too. Unfortunately that means OB and his ever worsening offense stays.

Maybe this season we can get 32nd ... and it will be Smith's fault. Not OB. Smith made him go away from ZBS. Smith made him hump the leg of every yeoman QB. Smith made TEs invisible for 2 years. Smith called Miller right A gap 3 times running (well not really, more like crash and fall repeatedly). Smith made OB call hooks rather than slants so the WRs couldn't get YAC.

This season, just to please you, Smith is going to have the C hand the ball to the other team instead of Savage. Houston fans are dumb right? McNair and they don't care about winning. Just existence and butts in seats.

Wait, one of those butts is yours. I know, your wife's fault.

To answer this post,

I call it reading the tea leaves. (Something I'm pretty good at.)

As far as the rest of your post, it is what it is.

Well, we were in the bottom of available salary cap space coming into this off-season.

We "fixed" that by trading Brock along with a second round pick and largely avoiding the free agent market and not extending any of our impending free agents.

IMO we put ourselves in that position because of trading away too many picks for unproductive players (like Strong and Nix) and overpaying FAs (Brock, Miller).

In any case, we are now in top 5 in salary cap room for the next 3 years but that's misleading because these are the guys scheduled to be free agents, and they won't be cheap to replace (at least at their level of production. We could always find a guy who failed a physical).

2018 FAs:
DeAndre Hopkins
Jonathan Joseph
Mancz (restricted)
XSF
Fiedo
Mediocre guys in Savage, Clark and Giacomini (nonetheless they are starters at this point, Giacomini possibly if he beats out Lamm). Lamm will also be a restricted FA.

Lechler and Novak are also 2018 FAs and we are generally at the bottom in special teams production.

2019 FAs:
Clowney
Brown
McKinney
Kareem
Covington

2020 FAs:
Mercilus
Lamar Miller
Nick Martin
Cushing
Jeff Allen
Braxton

On top of that we don't have a first or second round pick next year, which is one of the worst things because that is potentially high production at low cost for several years.

Of course every team has constraints, but I think our general method has left us with little flexibility to get better. We are pretty much hoping we can just keep who we have. I'm afraid Hopkins will leave and Brown won't show up.

I will add to this post by saying the 2018 draft is loaded with OL/QB's. It's a great draft all the way around. The kinda draft that only happens every 4-5 yrs. Too bad Ricky already traded away the farm.

To answer this post,

I call it reading the tea leaves. (Something I'm pretty good at.)

As far as the rest of your post, it is what it is.

You should be a lawyer.

Nobody is good at reading tea leaves. A lawyer would tell you that. Wait, one is.

Stand in front of a jury. They start off hating both sides. But they're people. Talk to them, not at them. I'm a dick. I know that. But I pay attention and know what triggers a jury. It's not tea leaves. People want attention. Speak to each one, you're golden.

And then for a side note of how not to do it ... trying a case in Oregon. Chicago lawyer opposite. (I so love yankee lawyers, arrogant pricks is so redundant) Client shot an elk. Chicago lawyer incredulous all the scorn possible in her voice , "you shot an elk?" Looked over at co-counsel "and that's the game." $29.4 million dollar verdict.

Nobody saw those tea leaves.

2018 FAs:
DeAndre Hopkins
Jonathan Joseph
Mancz (restricted)
XSF
Fiedo

2019 FAs:
Clowney
Brown
McKinney
Kareem
Covington

2020 FAs:
Mercilus
Lamar Miller
Nick Martin
Cushing
Jeff Allen
Braxton

This is the first time I've ever heard an organization has screwed the salary cap because they have impending FAs on the roster. Especially when that organization is sitting on enough money to sign them all.

Personally I would think we were in salary cap trouble if we were having to cut players just to get under the cap.

This is the first time I've ever heard an organization has screwed the salary cap because they have impending FAs on the roster. Especially when that organization is sitting on enough money to sign them all.

Personally I would think we were in salary cap trouble if we were having to cut players just to get under the cap.

Do we have enough money? And we did have to let Bouye go

I will add to this post by saying the 2018 draft is loaded with OL/QB's.

Meaning an OLman that went in the second round this year would be available in the third round next year... So the guy "we're" pissed off we didn't draft in the 2nd round last year we can get in the third... & y'all still be pissed.

If this year's OL plays at the level of last year's line, I think we'll be fine. I know we try to paint them as the worst line ever, but they helped produce a better than avg run game & I thought we all agreed a better QB would have produced a better passing game.

They need to get better in short yard situations & with Nick Martin back in the line up, there's reason to believe they should improve the short game. & most people here believe we have a better QB coming in.

I don't see Kendall Lamm as a starting RT. But this is the kind of development that needs to start paying off for our offense. Julie'n Davenport looks like a worthy prospect.

Best OL in the league? Maybe not. But the investment is there for a better than avg line. 1st round pick, three 2nd round picks, & a scrub.

Yes we have enough money & no we didn't have to let Bouye go. We offered $2M less than what Bouye signed for. Could've gone higher, but drew a line on what we would pay for a third CB at best. He would have been behind Jjo & Kjo at the least on our roster. He's starting for the Jags, yet we were willing to pay him close to what they offered.

We have the money.

Meaning an OLman that went in the second round this year would be available in the third round next year... So the guy "we're" pissed off we didn't draft in the 2nd round last year we can get in the third... & y'all still be pissed.

If this year's OL plays at the level of last year's line, I think we'll be fine. I know we try to paint them as the worst line ever, but they helped produce a better than avg run game & I thought we all agreed a better QB would have produced a better passing game.

They need to get better in short yard situations & with Nick Martin back in the line up, there's reason to believe they should improve the short game. & most people here believe we have a better QB coming in.

I don't see Kendall Lamm as a starting RT. But this is the kind of development that needs to start paying off for our offense. Julie'n Davenport looks like a worthy prospect.

Best OL in the league? Maybe not. But the investment is there for a better than avg line. 1st round pick, three 2nd round picks, & a scrub.

I don't care where they were drafted.

Allen/xsf suck and they still suck at RT. So I think you are being a little optimistic.

I will add to this post by saying the 2018 draft is loaded with OL/QB's. It's a great draft all the way around. The kinda draft that only happens every 4-5 yrs. Too bad Ricky already traded away the farm.

wait a minute...

You and just about everyone else on here has been beyotching about pushing the QB decision down the road since 2012. They finally addressed that but since it wasn't with "your guy" you have shifted over to the "not addressing the OL" line.

Every year the next years class is going to be "great"

I'm tired of waiting for next year...

We've been doing that since 1963

wait a minute...

You and just about everyone else on here has been beyotching about pushing the QB decision down the road since 2012. They finally addressed that but since it wasn't with "your guy" you have shifted over to the "not addressing the OL" line.

Every year the next years class is going to be "great"

I'm tired of waiting for next year...

We've been doing that since 1963

Nope, some draft classes are stronger than others. There will be 4 QB's in the 2018 class that will be better than anybody except maybe Trubisky in the 2017 draft. IMHO

This has nothing to do with my guy vs not my guy, getting the wrong guy will set the franchise back 5 or more yrs. This is about the future of the team at the QB position. You should also check out next yrs OL class too and give me your thoughts.

I don't care where they were drafted.

Allen/xsf suck and they still suck at RT. So I think you are being a little optimistic.

Regarding their draft spot, all I said was that the investment was there. I'm waiting for it to pay off. I haven't offered a projection to suggest I am optimistic.

Nope, some draft classes are stronger than others. There will be 4 QB's in the 2018 class that will be better than anybody except maybe Trubisky in the 2017 draft. IMHO

This has nothing to do with my guy vs not my guy, getting the wrong guy will set the franchise back 5 or more yrs. This is about the future of the team at the QB position. You should also check out next yrs OL class too and give me your thoughts.

Lol, this has to do with Smith. Until he's gone you are going to piss, whine and moan about every move they make.

Lol, this has to do with Smith. Until he's gone you are going to piss, whine and moan about every move they make.

It has everything to do with Smith.

He's the man making the decisions these days.

Glad to see criticizing the way the Texans org goes about their business is piss/whine/moaning. Sad part is after yrs of mismanagement I'm getting to the point where I just dont care that much anymore. I'm more apt to laugh at them that care these days.

Regarding their draft spot, all I said was that the investment was there. I'm waiting for it to pay off. I haven't offered a projection to suggest I am optimistic.

Well you're going to be waiting awhile.

Think about this they people making the decisions in the warroom have sunk cost in OL investments. When does it become prudent to have new people making decisions in the warroom?

A) We were holding out $$ for potential Romo signing.
B) We weren't going to get into a bidding war for Bouye.

The first was to address the QB issue with a known (if injured) quantity. Jerruh delayed long enough to make the point moot.
The second is the way the Texans operate. it may not be right, but it's pretty consistent.

Back